245K on my 96 basic coupe, is it almost dead? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Region: California
245K on my 96 basic coupe, is it almost dead?

Hey guys, so me and my fiance just bought a 1996 Basic Coupe with 245,000 miles on it. We needed a car badly and we fell in love with the mustang But now everyone is telling us to sell it because the milage is too high and it could die at any moment. But I've also heard that mustangs can run pretty well even at 300k. We did have to fix an oil leak, we're supposed to fix two different parts of it and they both cost around $350 plus we still have to get new spark plugs. My fiancee loves this car and doesn't want to sell it, he wants to install a new engine. How much would it cost for the engine? and by replacing the engine does that mean the milage will go down?

edit: also, it barely passed the smog check (I don't really know what this means but I know its a good thing)

Minz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
Well you could replace the engine, maybe 3k or so, Yes ur engine Will have lower miles but your body will still be worn

Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
I bough my first stang 99 v6 with 225k on it. Neve had any problemos out of it. I wouldn't worry about it
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Florida
If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If no real problems have risen by now then just keep up with the maintenance and new spark plugs will make a difference!!!
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
It's all about how you take care of it. We had an Element roll through the shop with 400K on it and it ran like a top. As long as you take care of it then you shouldn't have any issues. You can always find an engine on craigslist or just buy a reman engine and go from there. Install is usually where most shops charge a lot of money. Also welcome to Mustang Evolution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130628_192846.png
Views:	83
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	116041  
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion