Ford procal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ford procal

Ok guys after floating a valve in my last motor I swore I wouldn't tune my new car.... It did not last very long. However, this time I am going with ford racings procal. Supposed to be much safer and won't void my 3/36 warranty. Being that I work for ford I have high hopes. Anyone else running it?
Twisted 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Region: New Jersey
if it was me, I would personally pass. Its not that much money but doesn't seem to have any reward. If I read correctly, it give 9hp and 4 tq. There has to be other tuners that are safe and offer more gains.
bry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It's not a very impressive tune and many have had pinging. Also you lose the Ford warranty and it's replaced by the Ford Racing warranty.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yea I debated on getting it tuned also, but like they said it seems like a waste of money and a nice 6 yr 100k warranty! Do you work at one of the ford plants? I work at the sharonville transmission plant
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nope I work for a dealership in service.... But we don't do too many frpp parts. I've never heard of a problem at a dealership and I've called out sister dealership (Tommy Vaughn) who are frpp gurus and they have told me they also haven't seen any problems with their tune. That being said I know it is a very safe tune and probably doesn't give very much power. But for $375 and a little power may be worth it. Plus I have an auto which means if it shifts a little bit faster its another plus. However, if any of y'all have seen my other post in which I describe the end of my other motor I'm nervous to tune this one at all.....
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The Pro Cal does nothing as far as the shift points go on the autos.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted 13 View Post
Ok guys after floating a valve in my last motor I swore I wouldn't tune my new car.... It did not last very long. However, this time I am going with ford racings procal. Supposed to be much safer and won't void my 3/36 warranty. Being that I work for ford I have high hopes. Anyone else running it?
I've been running it for about a month.
There doesn't seem to be any peak gains but the helps out a lot on the low end and well, warranty.
If you're stuck with sh*t gas like I am in az you'll have to turn on octane adjustment.
It was completely worth it for me.
jmrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well bro its a toss up, you can try it out you might notice it, but I know I'm waiting till my warranty is done just to be safe. Good luck either way tho!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's a fun street tune and I'll stack it up against most other canned tunes out there for performance. I have the car on the door of 11s (12.0) at 114 mph on this tune on a full weight, full option '12 BBP 3.73 car.

I got this for $289, had it "installed" and a Ford dealer for a $50 with all the paperwork. Read the warranty. It's first class and better than anything anyone else offers. FULL powertrain coverage if the tune is determined to be at fault. You can't beat that. Plus it doesn't affect any other aspect of your extant PT warranty outside the 3/36. They'd have to state that and they don't.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #10

I have to ask because its mentioned so much.

Why are people overly concerned about the warranty? I mean I've put chips and tunes on vehicles back to y2k without issue. Are the tunes people put make that edgy that you can have a fault?

Besides that, I've had people I know have ford year a motor down to prove the tune/ chip had nothing to do with an issue.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry@n
I have to ask because its mentioned so much.

Why are people overly concerned about the warranty? I mean I've put chips and tunes on vehicles back to y2k without issue. Are the tunes people put make that edgy that you can have a fault?

Besides that, I've had people I know have ford year a motor down to prove the tune/ chip had nothing to do with an issue.
Because ford is looking for any excuse not to pay out a large warranty claim. The ecu records everything and can not be wiped so unlike previous ecu's there is no hiding.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #12

I understand that but how many people have issues that the dealer has actually denied the claim as a result of upgrades? I know some dealers just give a blanket response a lot of the time but there has to be some that actually look into the issues.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I had a lot of misfire issues around 2k to 4k miles and it took them 3 different visits to finally fix it. Of course it happened 1 other time after the fix but since then "fingers crossed" it hasn't happened. So I'm nervous bout losin my warranty
Old 06-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quite the converse for me. I've had 3 items go in for warranty, Two relatively small, replace a chipping wheel and a GPS antenna and one huge one: Rebuild the MT82 that started making horrible whines shortly after installing this tune but, without direct connection to anything done, i.e. I wasn't thrashing it around a road course or anything, it just started on it's own.

Ford in the person of the dealer, didn't even look to see if there was a tune but were reluctant to accept paying for all the diag time and the repair, nonetheless. They ultimately got permission from higher ups to do that. It'd have been cheaper just to give in and replace the trans from the get-go but, that isn't how things work.

The warranty is needed b/c I'm still paying for this car, engine down or not and I need it to continue to work, without a lot of headache. My previous car was coming off warranty and showing signs of electrical distress, plus I'd already replaced all 4 struts and the complete front brakes on my own dime, b/c they were done. This didn't bode well long term in my view so, I wanted a better car with a warranty, hence the 5.0.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #15

Okay now I see the your point.

So dealers try to deny warranty work even if there isn't anything do e to the car. That's a crappy dealer. I do understand warranty as long as you pay for the car though. My car is not a dd, so I'm not afraid to argue it out with them.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have the procal. Put in on last month and took it off today. I didn't notice much of anything really. To be honest my car feels faster and more responsive without it. To be fair I didn't have any ping issue with shell 93 gass. I would put the money into a more useful mod like suspension or shifter. Good luck.
2014 GT 5.0 Brembo's and 3.73's. FRPP Shifter, Steeda Intake Bama V2 Tune, Accufab 84.5 TB, Borla S-Type, Lethal Over Axel, JBA X, DSS Shaft, Steeda Panhard, Steeda LCA, Koni Streets, K Springs, GT500 Mounts.
2004 Maxima SE Daily Driver
K2Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The Pro Cal does nothing as far as the shift points go on the autos.
says who?
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry@n View Post
Okay now I see the your point.

So dealers try to deny warranty work even if there isn't anything do e to the car. That's a crappy dealer. I do understand warranty as long as you pay for the car though. My car is not a dd, so I'm not afraid to argue it out with them.
It's not that we try to deny a warranty claim. It's actually quite the opposite because we get payed to do them. I won't go Into detail as to how a warranty claim works but there is a flow chart and we do have to perform certain tests or repairs before just throwing a new transmission or motor in a vehicle. Not just a mustang. Obviously if there was a valid reason like coolant in your head caused by a bad seal it's not something that's repairable so they will put a new head on your vehicle. However, if you have a tune( and yes we can tell immediately even if you reset it back to factory setting) and a problem is caused because of the tune then yes the claim will be declined. I have personal existence with this happening when I floated a valve in my last 5.0 which is why I won't have this one re-tuned for awhile. Hence the procal option but if its not worth it then ill just skip over it.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I "noticed" alot. No skip shift, less rev hang, more responsive throttle, mildly better power but a big boost in low end torque and better gas mileage.

Then I went to the track and it bore out my belief that the car picked up a good bit. I am running an easy 4-9 mph faster than untuned 5.0s on the same day and that's spotting them the fact I have a fully loaded car.

I'd like to say I did before and after but, I changed from drag radials to a full bias slick tire and brand at the same time so maybe that has an effect. However, experience teaches that drag slicks actually slow mph rather than pick it up compared to drag radials.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #20

Region: Kansas
In my opinion, the ProCal provides the kind of driving experience the Mustang should have come with from the factory.

A ProCal in your Automatic 2011+ Mustang may be for you if:

1) You don't have a personal Money tree growing in your backyard and can't afford to cough up the cold hard cash to replace a $8,000 -10,000 engine should you end up with a Cyl# 8 issue from a "aftermarket" tune.

2) You like Improved gas mileage (I have seen MPG's of "mix" driving go from 14-16mpg up to 17-22mpg and as high as 31mpg on Hwy only.)

3) You live in the Midwest (KC for example) and only have crappy 91 oct Premium (95% of which is loaded with crappy Ethanol).

4) You prefer a "Drivability" Tune over a "All-out, on the ragged edge, Race" tune. Sure an "aftermarket" tune will get you an extra Tenth or Two at the drag strip, but unless you "live your life a 1/4 mile at a time" then its not a huge deal.

Now....in regards to the ProCal tuning of the Automatic Transmission its self.

True, ProCal does not "Program" per say, but the Auto's have adaptive learning (like most modern day vehicles) so if driven "hard", down shifts happen much faster, shifts happen with less "lag" and overall the car just feels a lot more alive (if you slow down and shift the car down to "1st" manually, and then hammer it, the car will break the tires loose from a low roll).

Also read the Second section of this article called "All Natural" Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT - Pack Attack - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

2012 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0L Kona Blue Sexiness
2001 Ranger XTL XCab/Stepside 4x4 - 4.0L/5sp Auto
1978 Caprice Coupe - 11 Sec Cammed LQ9 6.0L - Sold after 18 Years
KC Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted 13 View Post
I was told only a select few Ford dealership still have the rights to install Ford Racing equipment for warrantee issues. If the dealer you work for does not have the rights your warrantee will be in jeopardy. Make sure you do your research and make sure it is 100% clear. If I am right there are only around 6 dealers who still do Ford Racing installs in the USA. Make sure your bases are covered before pulling the trigger.

I guess I should say... Make sure your car is covered!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

They definitely change the shifting on the automatic. I'm in the midst of installing it myself but waiting on Ford to get back to me regarding a wheel diameter setting limitation (revs per mile) which needs to be input if you change the wheels from the stock default diameter. They also ask for the rear gear ratio, in case that has changed. I 'll respond by tomorrow when support calls back and clarifies this and hopefully report on a successful install. Then it's off to the track (road course) on Monday. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

I was told only a select few Ford dealership still have the rights to install Ford Racing equipment for warrantee issues. If the dealer you work for does not have the rights your warrantee will be in jeopardy. Make sure you do your research and make sure it is 100% clear. If I am right there are only around 6 dealers who still do Ford Racing installs in the USA. Make sure your bases are covered before pulling the trigger.

I guess I should say... Make sure your car is covered!!!
Regarding Dealer RIGHTS to install it, I asked 2 dealers in NH and they said " sure bring it in, we'll charge you the time it takes to do it" so not sure if there actually are any limitations. As the warrantee is from Ford Racing anyway I don't think they would care much regardless.

Anyway, I finished installing the K&N filter and Procal package from AM and an apples to apples comparison of 0-60 went consistently from 4.6 to 4.4 seconds, just nailing the pedal from stop, no powerbraking. The real test will be on the road course Monday. I know how the car shifts itself in SPORT mode with the stock tine so it will be interesting to see the results.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinmyGT View Post
I had a lot of misfire issues around 2k to 4k miles and it took them 3 different visits to finally fix it. Of course it happened 1 other time after the fix but since then "fingers crossed" it hasn't happened. So I'm nervous bout losin my warranty
I think the "fix" they made was for it to not throw a solid check engine light. Because after their "fix" mine will still misfire on rare occasions but will no longer keep the light on.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
They definitely change the shifting on the automatic. ..........
Kramer, could you be more specific on the changes?

Raised rev-limiter? Quicker up-shifts? Down-shifts with less delay? Stays in gear longer before up-shifting?

Some forum members maintain the Procal does not effect the trans at all. I'm just trying to get the facts from the Procal users with auto trans.

Thank you,
Dave
Dave Bogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well, one thing's a crock. Any dealer willing van install the PC and get you the warranty validation. Cost me sixty bucks at a local dealer.

Here's the Ford racing bumf on the Procal. Midway down the page it talks about auto trans calibration. However, the article pre-dates the 2011 Mustang and so, is not directly relevant to it. They do go into extensive detail on why they do what they do with PC tuning though and that might be of interest.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...les.asp?id=134

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ford procal

I know I asked this in a separate thread, I just didn't see this thread, what factory warranty will the Procal affect? I know about the FRPP warranty. I'm just trying to get all the information I can to convince my parents to let me get the tune.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bogue View Post
Kramer, could you be more specific on the changes?

Raised rev-limiter? Quicker up-shifts? Down-shifts with less delay? Stays in gear longer before up-shifting?

Some forum members maintain the Procal does not effect the trans at all. I'm just trying to get the facts from the Procal users with auto trans.

Thank you,
Dave
i cant speak for drag racing at all, only road course and basically if you throw it in sport mode and let it do the shifting itself, that's where you really see the difference from stock. It really holds on to the lower gears when you back off the throttle heading into turns and if you blip the throttle while breaking it will downshift nicely. Up shifts feel crisper and at higher rpm's but i could not give you specific rev points as I never really noted. As far as the engine mapping the real advantage is getting 60 lb ft more at the low (1500 ish) RPM so a real nice pull down low.

Manually shifting in sport mode feels crisper but I really don't know if they changed anything there.

For the record i did a few 0-60 runs just before and after loading the tune it went from 4.5 to 4.3 secs, just nailing the pedal with traction control on.

The ability to adjust for different tire diameters is nice also as corrects the shift points and calibrates the speedometer. All-in-all, for less than $300 from American Muscle with a K&N filter and really good phone support from Ford Racing, it gave me exactly what I needed.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Kramer, thanks for the information.

From a stop, do the tires spin when you floor it?

At full throttle, will the tires chirp on the 1-2 shift?

My stocker won't do either. (255/40-19s)

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bogue View Post
Kramer, thanks for the information.

From a stop, do the tires spin when you floor it?

At full throttle, will the tires chirp on the 1-2 shift?

My stocker won't do either. (255/40-19s)

Thanks,

Dave

with the ESP on (normal) yes, but minimal. With the ESP off the tires want to melt, car swerves right, etc...ITS DEF MORE fun but you dont really get anywhere.. Im running 255/40 -18's right now...Pilot Super Sports but prwtty much did the same with the stock all season Pirelli's ...and No, never chirped the tires into 2nd.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh, an automatic trans car that can smoke the tires off the line is a wondrous thing to behold.

As always, enjoy responsibly.

Best wishes,
Dave
Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have a question for you OP (and I apologize in advance for not having any info to contribute to your thread).

If I tuned my '10 GT with my Bama tuner, three days later reset it back to the factory tune, and six months later had a problem with the engine (that would normally be covered by Ford's factory warranty), is there still a possibility my warranty request could still be declined for a tune I used for three days six months ago?
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Whether you tuned it for 3 days or 3 years isn't relevant. If they want to dig for it, they can find out when it was flashed, corroborate that with dealer-recorded flashes. If there's disagreement here they may feel that's enough to make them dig in their heels, then you may have a problem. They may send the ECM to Ford for deeper analysis before saying yea or nay and that might give you a problem. It really depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. This goes for pretty much any car.

Mess with the factory tuning at your own risk, that's the end of the story pretty much. Ford's talking pretty tough right now on tunes in the Coyote platform, for example.

See the top post here:

TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Seeing it from their view, why would they want to piss money away warrantying work that isn't their own?

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion