Help!! Cant get this crap off!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
They paved the roads three years ago and I still have all that tar crap on the inside of my wheel well. Never been able to get it out lol

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Try using vodka and a blow torch
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieness View Post
If it is cement on the car you can try half vinegar and half water
How to Remove Cement From Auto Paint | eHow
Thanks for the info, but its definitely not cement.

I went ahead and filed a claim with VDOT this afternoon. I will still be trying to get in touch with the contractor tomorrow. Unfortunately it looks like ill be stuck in a long process with either of them.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Update

I went ahead and filed a claim with the VA DOT on Sunday just to get the ball rolling incase the company won't do anything. The lady on the phone warned me its a very long process. I will receive a kit in the mail within 10-14 days in which i will have to fill out a ton of paperwork, and also include pictures and repair quotes for them.
Hopefully i wont have to wait for that. I got ahold of the right contracting company today who is doing the paving work. The guy on the phone was very understanding and is in contact with the VP of the company to see what they can do for me. He said he's going to TRY and get back to me today since they are closed Thursday and Friday for the holiday. Otherwise i wont hear anything new until Monday. Fingers crossed this company steps up and takes care of my poor baby.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Update

I went ahead and filed a claim with the VA DOT on Sunday just to get the ball rolling incase the company won't do anything. The lady on the phone warned me its a very long process. I will receive a kit in the mail within 10-14 days in which i will have to fill out a ton of paperwork, and also include pictures and repair quotes for them.
Hopefully i wont have to wait for that. I got ahold of the right contracting company today who is doing the paving work. The guy on the phone was very understanding and is in contact with the VP of the company to see what they can do for me. He said he's going to TRY and get back to me today since they are closed Thursday and Friday for the holiday. Otherwise i wont hear anything new until Monday. Fingers crossed this company steps up and takes care of my poor baby.
Well thats slightly good news! Couldve been worse. At least the company is trying to be understanding.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Try wd40 should get it off or if needed, gas, but make sure to wash n wax quick after
BigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post

Well thats slightly good news! Couldve been worse. At least the company is trying to be understanding.
Yeah im hoping they actually take care of me, and theyre not just giving me the ol run around.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig View Post
Try wd40 should get it off or if needed, gas, but make sure to wash n wax quick after
Tried it. No luck.

Ive also since talked to a buddy of mine who runs a detailing business. He said hes seen this stuff before, and unfortunately it doesnt come off. Only option is to sand and repaint. Im still interested to see what it actually is. Ill make sure to ask the paving company when i hear back.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Damn thats messed up
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn thats messed up
Yes sir. Im extremely pissed off about it. The car is 4 months old. Im really trying to decide what i even want to do. I definitely ATLEAST want my wheel wells and rocker panel fixed as thats where its the heaviest. But as far as the stuff on the door, fender, and bumper i cant decide. Im really not thrilled about having half my car repainted. What happens if they dont match the paint well?? Then im really F'd. What a nightmare this is.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Yes sir. Im extremely pissed off about it. The car is 4 months old. Im really trying to decide what i even want to do. I definitely ATLEAST want my wheel wells and rocker panel fixed as thats where its the heaviest. But as far as the stuff on the door, fender, and bumper i cant decide. Im really not thrilled about having half my car repainted. What happens if they dont match the paint well?? Then im really F'd. What a nightmare this is.
Your paint should match its a factory color right? Its pretty new i don't think it could have faded that much in that short of time
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Just gotta go to a painter with a good rep and shouldnt be a problem, just costly, will your insurance do anything with you about it?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just gotta go to a painter with a good rep and shouldnt be a problem, just costly, will your insurance do anything with you about it?
Haven't talked to my insurance company yet, just because I'd get stuck with the $500 deductible. Im gonna wait until I hear back from the paving company, and see what they say. Then I'll call my insurance company just to figure out my options with them if need be. If i have too, as a last resort, I'll have the insurance pay for it. But im gonna fight with the company and DOT before i get stuck with the bill.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post

Your paint should match its a factory color right? Its pretty new i don't think it could have faded that much in that short of time
Thats what im hoping. Im always nervous about having stuff repainted though. I did find a really good body shop, who does alot of work on high end cars like Ferraris and Lambos so i feel i can trust them with my Mustang haha. I have an appointment with them next Tuesday the 9th to get an estimate.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Another Update

Guy just called me back. He is having me take my car to a detailing company where they have a corporate account. He is paying for a full detail to try and get this stuff off professionally. I warned him that i highly doubt it will work, but hey its free, and he is trying to resolve the problem so i agreed to give it a shot. Hopefully they know something I dont haha. I have an appointment to drop my car off at 9am Friday morning.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Another Update

Guy just called me back. He is having me take my car to a detailing company where they have a corporate account. He is paying for a full detail to try and get this stuff off professionally. I warned him that i highly doubt it will work, but hey its free, and he is trying to resolve the problem so i agreed to give it a shot. Hopefully they know something I dont haha. I have an appointment to drop my car off at 9am Friday morning.
Sweet! Good luck
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
Try goof off, I used to to shear my headlight tint as it didn't damage the plastic, it got on some paint and didn't do much at all I just detailed it after and no difference
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetWolf View Post
Try goof off, I used to to shear my headlight tint as it didn't damage the plastic, it got on some paint and didn't do much at all I just detailed it after and no difference
Ive tried it already lol. Im tellin ya, there's really nothing left i haven't tried hahaha. Its so frustrating.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
Quote:

Ive tried it already lol. Im tellin ya, there's really nothing left i haven't tried hahaha. Its so frustrating.
Damn that got everything off for me
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetWolf View Post

Damn that got everything off for me
Yeah that stuff normally works well for me too. Thanks for the suggestion tho!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Evil keep us updated, I would like to know what that stuff is and if there is a way to get it off
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieness View Post
Evil keep us updated, I would like to know what that stuff is and if there is a way to get it off
Will do man. Fingers crossed for tomorrow haha
Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
That sucks bro. I feel your pain. Last week they were filling pot holes on a road near me and I got a bunch of stuff stuck in the wheel wells. Fortunately my Roush side splitters kept it off the paint. The government doesn't think when they do roadwork and it pisses me off.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
That sucks bro. I feel your pain. Last week they were filling pot holes on a road near me and I got a bunch of stuff stuck in the wheel wells. Fortunately my Roush side splitters kept it off the paint. The government doesn't think when they do roadwork and it pisses me off.
Your absolutely right. They could care less about the crap they leave on the road. Try and get in touch with the company that is doing the work if they did any damage. These guys have at least SHOWN they are trying so far. If the detail job doesn't work though, and i need to have it repainted, then we shall see if they still wanna help haha. Not holding my breath. Although they have already admitted fault.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Update

Took my car to the detailer this morning... Just picked it up. No luck. He couldn't get it off either. If anything I think they put a few more light scratches in the paint trying. The detailer called and talked to the contractor and told him he had no success. So the guy from the contracting company is going to speak with the VP of their company and get back to me on Monday.
The guy at the detailing shop asked the contracting guy what this stuff was. Apparently its some kind of special cement/sealer they use to hold the big metal traffic light poles in. I will try and get the actual name once i speak to the guy on Monday. Nasty crap.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Screw this crap! Whatever the hell it is! So i went and bought kerosene and some mineral spirits today, and with ALOOOOOT of hard elbow grease it seems like this stuff was breaking down just a little bit. Stop to give my arm a rest and noticed that the little particles that were coming off were scratching the HELL out of the paint. Im lost. Looks like my only hope is turning it into the insurance company.. Which means im gonna get stuck paying a $500 deductible. Awesome.
Sorry if this isn't much help. I used to work in a car wash in my teens. We used Varsol to remove tar (http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Ch...oductsservices). We must have had a 500 gal tank of it. We would just keep spraying in on, rubbing it with a towel, and repeat. Over and over again. We used to have cars with huge amounts of tar.

This crap you have doesn't look like tar. Like I think you said, it looks like some sort of adhesive.

In fact, it looks like there are particles embedded in this crap. What did you drive over? Was it regular road paving (asphalt) or something else?

Ah, just read the last post. This looks like epoxy. That would not be good.

That sucks, I would be pissed. Good luck.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinibandGT View Post

Sorry if this isn't much help. I used to work in a car wash in my teens. We used Varsol to remove tar (http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Ch...oductsservices). We must have had a 500 gal tank of it. We would just keep spraying in on, rubbing it with a towel, and repeat. Over and over again. We used to have cars with huge amounts of tar.

This crap you have doesn't look like tar. Like I think you said, it looks like some sort of adhesive.

In fact, it looks like there are particles embedded in this crap. What did you drive over? Was it regular road paving (asphalt) or something else?

Ah, just read the last post. This looks like epoxy. That would not be good.
Thanks for the help man i appreciate it. Yeah its nasty nasty stuff. Whatever it is. When i talk to the guy from the contracting company again on Monday, I'll make sure i get more info on it. Thats what sucks about having to drive to work so early. Workers think that nobody will be on the road i guess. Wrong place, wrong time. I understand it happens though, so im trying to stay calm and not get nasty with these guys. So far they have been very understanding and helpful. Now that they know there is no cheap way around it to repair, we shall see if they continue to be helpful lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion