08 Bullitt questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

08 Bullitt questions

I realize that most posters here think that the new Bullitt sucks, but I don't.
I'm 43 and the understated tone of the car is appealing not to mention that I don't expect many "chicks" to be driving it. (not that I'm not secure in my manhood but it is kind of strange to see so many females driving Mustangs)

Now, on to the questions:

I've noticed that there are a boatload of these things still on the dealer's lots, has anybody heard if Ford plans on putting incentives on this car?

Right now I have a dealer wanting to sell me this car for $189 over his cost, anybody have an idea about what the dealer holdback is on this car if they have had it since winter?

Anybody on this forum actually own this car?
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #2

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: 08 Bullitt questions

Well, I own one!
I love it!

I had a 91 300 ZX before I bought my Bullitt. The Z is a good car but when I saw the Bullitt in the showroom it just spoke to me. I had a '67 Stang with a 289, 4 bbl carb and 4 speed; dark green exterior, black interior. I bought that one new but it was demolished in an accident when a drunk hit me in the rearend doing about 70 mph while I was waiting stopped to make a left turn. It only had about 12,000 miles on it when it was destroyed.

Anyway, my new Bullitt is great! 0 - 60 in 5.2 seconds and I get 22 mpg! Not bad. I've had it to an indicated 130 mph and it's rock solid. The Z was good to about 140. The Bullitt is limited to 151 mph. I'm guessing it will do it. I just haven't found a road safe enough to wind it out to 151.

I haven't seen the posts from those who say it sucks. My thoughts are they're jealous! My friends like the car and think it looks great. As one friend said, it's like you took your '67 Mustang and de-chromed it. It is the way I'd want my '67 to look. No flashy signs, no stripes, just a cool car with plenty of grunt. Oh, BTW, I'm 61!
Bullitt0553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

"I haven't seen the posts from those who say it sucks. My thoughts are they're jealous!"

I agree, this car looks like a bad a## business weapon, no "hey look at me" shiny kid stuff.
They are always talking about how slow and heavy these new Mustangs are but I don't see it that way. When I was in my teens I drove a few real original musclecars such as the 1970 Ram Air III Trans Am and this Bullitt is every bit as fast as they are and maybe more so.

I'm off to the dealership this morning to see if I can make a deal.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #4

Region: Illinois

You can find '08s at a slight discount. You just gotta look. I got one, and it's the only car I have ever had that I have not experienced 'buyer's remorse' (and I'm 2 yrs older than you, so that's a lotta cars!).

It's rough rumbly and rude, and worth every cent .

Goodluck!
Unhomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I went to the dealership this morning and looked at their Bullitt, it looked great, especially in the showroom flanked by a Shelby. It had a couple of issues though, one being a dead battery and the other being that the tires were "flat spotted".
It had sat on the floor since Feb. 22 and hadn't been taken out...ever, so as I was test driving it I noticed the thump, thump, thump right off the bat.
It cleared up a little after a few miles but never did completely cure itself of this condition.
The dealership said that if I bought the car then I could ask Ford to replace the tires but no guarantee that they would.
I don't know if the tires would work themselves out or not.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it should be about like any other mustang on the lot they should come down on them about 2k under invoice price at least~ if not I would walk.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I know a dealer in St Louis that seems to have a number of them hanging around, & they were certainly willing to deal on a Shelby I actually purchased elsewhere, cannot believe they wont on a "Bullet". My opinion for what it's worth, yes I fully understand the "Understatment" value of the bullet & having previously owned an 06 GT, I am sure the Bullet has a good rumble & a shade more performance, but those "wheels" - no thanks, that blandness - no thanks, incognito is one thing, non entity another, not for me. But hey whatever turns YOU on.
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I'm one of those haters...

The car does not fulfill the performance aspect that even the 01 did. It has cold air and exhaust. At least the 01 had suspension, brakes, upper intake, etc.

It would be a fine car if they were asking sticker, what's ridiculous is the markup on the GT they have dubbed the Bullitt.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I can't help it, I love this car! I love the wheels on this car, I love the the engine turned dash of the car (reminds me of 2nd gen Trans Am dash), I love the fact that they didn't paint the calipers red, I love that they didn't stick a bogus hood scoop or wing on the back, I love the shifter in this car, IMO much better than the Hurst GT Shelby or factory shifter...seems to shift better, might be my imagination though, I love the green paint on this car, almost looks black till it hits the sun and then POW!, the green pops out, I love the seats in this car, they seem to have more side support, I love that it is a little lower than a stock GT, but still high enough to clear most obstacles on my roads around here.

Now about the price, I can buy a lightly optioned Bullitt around here for under $30,000.
That is considerbly lower than MSRP although I would not get the $2500 rebate that the standard GT has in my Memphis area.
I could do the adult thing and wait some more to see if they are going to rebate the Bullitt again (they did for a very short time, but I was to chicken to pull the trigger on it then) but I'm tired of waiting, I'm just like a little child...I WANT IT NOW!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

30k is a bit steep to me for it, I would wait until its around 26-27k~ as the regular gt's can be had for 24k range~
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Then go for it "NOW", been there, done that, in fact just did it with my Shelby, though did set dealers up against each other to squeeze best deal.

When you got to have something you got to have it !, in that respect I am equally baby like & I'm 58 !
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

i like the bullit...im 21..its a tasteful design of the new s197 body.and it is faster than the old muscle cars of the past.

glad to see at yalls age that you can still have the fever, my dad is an oldschool hot rodder and he is less than interested in them now. he still thinks carbureted bigblocks are the motor of chioce for fast cars. i hope i still have your outlook at that age.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm moving to southaven this week. I know the dealer there in Olive Branch has 3 bullitts sitting on the lot that they're ready to get rid of. Go down there, make em an offer, and carry one home. I'll even come help pick it out. Just let me know.
Our's:
Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I have seen some used ones around here, see how those are selling
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

@ SimplyOrangeTPS,
Don't worry you'll still want "stuff" when you get to my age just check out all the "boomers" riding around on their "Hogs".
I'm not much of a boat, motorcycle, etc. man, I like cars. I'm finally at a place in my life where I can purchase something like this and not lose too much sleep at night.
Other than buying my wife new Accords every 12 years or so,(which is about as exciting as buying a toaster at Wal-Mart) this will be the first time in my life that I will walk onto a car lot and drive off in my brand new dream car (yeah, even at 43 years old this is some exciting shi*).
This Bullitt is going to be my H-D, I don't plan on driving it except on the weekends and such. I built a new 24 X 30 garage 3 years ago and I'm ready to roll a nice ride in there.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVII View Post
@ SimplyOrangeTPS,
Don't worry you'll still want "stuff" when you get to my age just check out all the "boomers" riding around on their "Hogs".
I'm not much of a boat, motorcycle, etc. man, I like cars. I'm finally at a place in my life where I can purchase something like this and not lose too much sleep at night.
Other than buying my wife new Accords every 12 years or so,(which is about as exciting as buying a toaster at Wal-Mart) this will be the first time in my life that I will walk onto a car lot and drive off in my brand new dream car (yeah, even at 43 years old this is some exciting shi*).
This Bullitt is going to be my H-D, I don't plan on driving it except on the weekends and such. I built a new 24 X 30 garage 3 years ago and I'm ready to roll a nice ride in there.
Not real sure what H-D stands for...but...you'll enjoy it. If nothing else I have these cars for a stress relief. I get home from being pissed off all day at work and have something there to mess around town in to relieve stress.
Our's:
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

H-D = Harley Davidson. Instead of me buying a Harley Davidson like most of my peers I plan on getting myself a Bullitt.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Id rather see you in a Bullitt than riding a H-D
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Roger that 1234, not to mention the Bullitt has 4 and 5 star crash ratings...H-D, zip.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Plus The Bullitt is 1000000000 times better looking than any H-D ever will be.
Hope ya pick one up soon looking forward to seeing some pics of it.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #21

All right! Go ahead DVII - go for it!

My best friend of 56 years emailed me that the Bullitt was at the local Ford dealer back in February of 2008. We went to see it and I fell in love with it at first sight. My wife was on a trip to Texas (we live in PA) and I called her and "asked" if it was ok if I put money down on it to hold it until she came home. I heard "ok" but she says she said "let's wait"!

Anyway, we're still married and I have my Bullitt! I picked it up on February 23, 2008 and I've been as happy as a stud in a corral full of fillies!

I'm with you, DVII! I love the car. I love the shifter, the engine, the no-wing on the back, the seats, the engine-turned dash, the retro look of the gauges that remind me of my '67 (may she rest in peace) and the wheels that look similar to American Torq Thrust mags. Ok, they aren't Torq Thrusts, but close enough for me. I had Keystone Mags (now there's a name from the past) on my '67 that looked similar to the ones on the Bullitt, so nostalgia smacks again!

I disagree with Loflyn that "The car does not fulfill the performance aspect that even the 01 did. At least the 01 had suspension, brakes, upper intake, etc. " I don't have the specs on the '01, but I do know that my Bullitt is quick.

Plus, I'm quoting here from the "2008 Mustang Bullitt Features" that I got off Ebay -

"Gears are selected via a Tremec 5-speed manual transmission designed specifically for the 2008 Bullitt."

And, "Stock Mustang GT shocks and struts were swapped out for new units that allowed engineers to dial in a more aggressive driving dynamic while still maintaining outstanding ride and balance."

"A tower-to-tower brace, designed specifically for the Bullitt, lends additional torsional and lateral stiffness to the chassis for improved cornering." (OK, I know that the GT comes with a brace, but it looks different than the one on my Bullitt!
"All-new front brake pads were developed specifically for the Bullitt while the rear brake pads come from the GT500."

Let me know when you get yours, DVII! Maybe we can run one off when you come to the All Ford Show at Cars at Carlisle! I had my Bullitt there in June and the local drag strip opens up on Friday night for all the Fords to run.

Oh, the flat-spotted tires are something I noticed on mine, too. I guess P235/50ZR 18 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS tires do that. But in a few miles mine smoothed out. My 300 ZX has Hankooks on it and they flat-spot too when it sits for a while. The Bullitt is every bit as smooth or smoother than the Z.

Take care, everyone!

Bullitt 0553
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in the process of going for it, the time honored tradition of haggling over price is now under way! (I'm starting to feel the barb of that hook)
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #23

Best of luck to you!

I know I paid my dealer's sticker price on it. Around here, back in February, one of the dealers had a $1,000 tacked onto the sticker price. Another dealer had $500 tacked on it. At least my local dealer didn't add anything!

I"m sure I could have gotten one for less money if I'd waited, but then I wouldn't have had it for as long and I wouldn't have had such a low serial number as 0553. I know that's silly, but at the time it was important to me!

I sure hope my wife doesn't read these blogs! She'd kill me if she knew that now the Bullitts are going for less than sticker. Oh well, I'm having fun with it and as you said earlier, you can afford it, so go for it!

I'm new to this blog stuff. Once I get onto it and have some time, I'll post pictures of my Bullitt.

I guess I should read the FAQ's and other links that Brent sent me!

Have fun haggling and don't let the dealer set that hook too deeply!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I'm one of those haters...

The car does not fulfill the performance aspect that even the 01 did. It has cold air and exhaust. At least the 01 had suspension, brakes, upper intake, etc.
It has upgraded suspension and brakes too . And tires. And rear end ratio. And seats. And revs higher. And is faster. And is arguably better looking. But other than that, I guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
It would be a fine car if they were asking sticker, what's ridiculous is the markup on the GT they have dubbed the Bullitt.
...and it is worth every penny
Old 07-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

If there is one thing that I have learned when it comes to buying mustangs is drive the other models and other year types. That way you can make a better decision towards what you want. I would drive a 99-04 GT, 03/04 Cobra, 05-08 GT, and a Bullitt. Maybe try a Roush~ see how they compare and it will just help you make a better decision so you want have the "what if" factor~ you will know.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhomed View Post
It has upgraded suspension and brakes too . And tires. And rear end ratio. And seats. And revs higher. And is faster. And is arguably better looking. But other than that, I guess....
Upgraded shocks and struts - anyone who does anything to a mustang does this

Upgraded brake pads - and????

3.73 gears - not that much of an improvement over stock...but nice I'll agree

Ford can tune - you can add another 20 horsepower by getting a real tune...........

O yeh...first open element intake ever in a factory produced fuel injected mustang --- 30 seconds on ebay and I could do the same.

I like the car, just think the hype is a little much, and the beginning mark-up was a little much for a GT with minor, and I mean minor, bolt ons.
Our's:
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

@ Lowflyn
You forgot those *****in' seats, dash, shifter, gauge script, and shock tower brace

This car is a steal at under $30,000 compared to a regular GT.

3.73 gears would not be a minor bolt on for me although I'll grant you the cold air system would.

@Spector V

I have driven an 03 Cobra w/supercharger, 03 Mach 1, and the stock 05-08 GT plus numerous ole' timey musclecars such as Ram Air III 4 spd T/A, 66 Chevelle w/427 rat motor, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen Camaros, C3, C4, C5 Vettes etc, and can honestly say that this new Bullitt rendition hits the spot for me. I get that same funny butterfly feeling looking at this new Bullitt as I do looking at a 66 fastback 'Stang or a 68 big block Camaro SS (or more appropriately the COPO Camaro with the tiny hubcap wheels... plain and stealthy) or any number of awesome musclecars from that bygone era that I will never be able to afford (at least in the shape that I would want them in).

Having said that the 03 Cobra that I drove was pretty cool but I'm a sucker for the new Bullitt.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #28

Ok, Lowflyn, so now it's just bolt-ons on the 08 Bullitt??! While a while ago you touted the '01 Bullitt with suspension, brakes and intake manifold. Last time I looked, that stuff was all bolt-on!

Any "special edition" vehicle from a manufacturer has bolt-on stuff! The original GT350s and GT500s were nothing more than bolt-on stuff. The Pontiac GTO was originally an option package for the Tempest!

Mustangs were originally Falcon parts bolted onto a new body. And Vettes had '37 Chevy front suspension parts up until 1964! The rest of the stuff was bolt-ons! Ok, I guess I've stretched things a bit, there! The ghost of Zora Arkus Duntov will haunt me for the next year for saying that!

A car has to have charisma, beauty and performance and in my opinion the '08 Bullitt has all three!

When I went into the showroom and saw the car for the first time, it wasn't the hype that made me want it. The car just spoke to me. When I started it up and heard that exhaust I was sold! Just like I was sold when I bought my '67 Stang 41 years ago! And the same when I started my '68 Dodge Dart GTS w/ 340 and 4-speed in the showroom. Driving the Bullitt or the Dart was just icing on the cake.

Nope, sorry Loflyn and English Paul, if you guys like glitz, more power to you. I'll take stealth with performance any day.

Every time I drive my Bullitt I get compliments from people. It stands out enough with the paint and wheels to make a statement while not shouting; plus it backs it up with performance. And hey, if I want more performance, I'll add some more bolt-ons!

Bullitt 0553
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Haggling update:

My price has been met on a black Bullitt and I'm $1000 apart on a Highland Green, I've thought about it and after coming this far I've got to have the green one...negotiations continue.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Green ftw. I'm sure you can get them down on it.
Our's:
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt0553 View Post
Ok, Lowflyn, so now it's just bolt-ons on the 08 Bullitt??! While a while ago you touted the '01 Bullitt with suspension, brakes and intake manifold. Last time I looked, that stuff was all bolt-on!

Any "special edition" vehicle from a manufacturer has bolt-on stuff! The original GT350s and GT500s were nothing more than bolt-on stuff. The Pontiac GTO was originally an option package for the Tempest!

Mustangs were originally Falcon parts bolted onto a new body. And Vettes had '37 Chevy front suspension parts up until 1964! The rest of the stuff was bolt-ons! Ok, I guess I've stretched things a bit, there! The ghost of Zora Arkus Duntov will haunt me for the next year for saying that!

A car has to have charisma, beauty and performance and in my opinion the '08 Bullitt has all three!

When I went into the showroom and saw the car for the first time, it wasn't the hype that made me want it. The car just spoke to me. When I started it up and heard that exhaust I was sold! Just like I was sold when I bought my '67 Stang 41 years ago! And the same when I started my '68 Dodge Dart GTS w/ 340 and 4-speed in the showroom. Driving the Bullitt or the Dart was just icing on the cake.

Nope, sorry Loflyn and English Paul, if you guys like glitz, more power to you. I'll take stealth with performance any day.

Every time I drive my Bullitt I get compliments from people. It stands out enough with the paint and wheels to make a statement while not shouting; plus it backs it up with performance. And hey, if I want more performance, I'll add some more bolt-ons!

Bullitt 0553

The 01 had bolt-ons that actually do you good. Ford trying to say they upgraded the brakes on the new one is just sad...
Our's:
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Brake pads really seems like a waste of money. so thats probably a 300 mark up when you can buy them your self for 80. thats worth it.
Im agreeing with lowflyn
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Bullitt 0553, ok, you are a committed Bullitt man & why not good luck to you , all power to your elbow & all that good stuff, it's a stang & that's good enough for me. The car in question just not turn me on & I have examined closely in the flesh, the understatement I fully understand, but understated to the point of invisability uuuuuuuumh!, Again respect & support your choice
The inference that I prefer Glitz to power & stealth is misplaced, Glitz certainly , as to stealth depends on your interpretation. Maybe you don't know I have just purchased a GT500, if you do & have based your copmments on that, then perhaps a road trip MO to PA or visa versa could at least resolve the issue of comparative performance
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

This is almost like discussing religion or politics
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVII View Post
This is almost like discussing religion or politics
True........

Taste is completely subjective, and I can't disagree with anyone on their preference of mustangs, whether it be the lowliest 6 banger (which is still a fantastic car) to the highest priced Shelby. I would never say I 'hate' any of them.

I guess we could sit around forever and decide which add ons performance/prices are a good buy, and which are 'ridiculous'. It may seem fun for some to put down in a mustang what others value, that doesn't seem like much fun to me.

I think most of us would agree that the Mustang is a vehicle where the "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts".

As a whole, the base mustang is a helava sporty vehicle, and handles great too. The GT is fantastic looking, fast, cool, and still one of the best bangs for the buck out there, bar none. The Bullitt is faster, louder, sinister looking, stripped down and green and to my taste inside/out perfect. The Shelbys are the next level of performance upgrades/styles and great at what they do (tear up the road ) and are real head turners. None of these Mustangs are wrong, and to one degree or another there is a version for each of us that is perfect (or you'll buy this and bolt on that to make it your version of perfect). All's good.

DVII, good luck on you're haggling. If this car has Mojo to you, like mine does to me, don't pass it up. You won't regret it. If another Mustang turns your head instead, go for that one. Either way, once you buy a Mustang, any Mustang, no other car will ever be 'good enough'.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion