Gt500 vs 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Gt500 vs 5.0

I just wanted to compare the two beasts and see which you get more for the $. The snake thats stock supercharged or the mean coyote motor which you can just supercharge and get out cheaper.
Id love a gt500 but im not rolling in dough so im figuring i can get more for the $ with a 5.0.
Whats everyone else's opinions on the comparison? Is the gt500 really worth almost double?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I just wanted to compare the two beasts and see which you get more for the $. The snake thats stock supercharged or the mean coyote motor which you can just supercharge and get out cheaper.
Id love a gt500 but im not rolling in dough so im figuring i can get more for the $ with a 5.0.
Whats everyone else's opinions on the comparison? Is the gt500 really worth almost double?
No the gt500 is not worth more than double. It's basically the name you are paying for. A bolt on 5.0 can hold its own against a gt500(not a 2013+) provided it isn't heavily modified. The 5.0 engine is just that much better of a motor, but if you supercharge the coyote you'd smoke the gt500 for less than half the cost. The 5.4 motor is all torque and less power on the top end where as the 5.0 starts off without as much torque but it wants.. No it craves the higher rpms. Once you hit the power band it just won't quit!

Having said that, id love to have a gt500, and I favor the 10-12 body style. Both of them are awesome cars, and you will be happy with either or. If I were you, I would get a used low mileage 5.0 and mod the hell out of it.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Paid less for my Shelby than a new 5.0. It's all about the $. The person with the most wins. That's life lol. As far as the difference, if u ask any Shelby owner, I dnt think he's gonna trade his shby for a 5.0 (not that he doesn't want 5 of them, i do) but its the dream and legacy. As far as top end, I dnt have trouble making power there either. Of course, I'm not stock. I'm just about convinced with enough money, u could build either to be insane.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I figured you would just be paying more for the cool looking snake :p lol but correct id be in love with either. I was just wondering if i was missing something about the shelby for the high price reason.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Well, the new ones of course are in a different league but u can get an 07-09 in a "normal" price range and with very little have them putting the same power to the ground. Lol. I only bought mine because of the snakes in the seats.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

If you are comparing a 2011-13 5.0 to 09 or earlier Snake then I would say go 5.0. The earlier models are front end heavy and tend to spin. Don't get me wrong they are great cars but for the money (+ blower) 5.0 wins IMO. Thats just my 2 cents though. I had to make this choice 3yrs ago and I went with the 5.0.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd take a clean Terminator for $16k...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd take a clean Terminator for $16k...
I would too but with decent mileage people charge 20k+ i saw one here with 35000 miles for 24k
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'd love a terminator too, but finding one that wasn't driven 150mph by some 18 year old or downshifted into 2nd on the highway during a street race is very hard.

The gt500s will need a blower swap to make any real power unless you port and polish the stock blower and swap to a tiny pulley. But don't get me wrong, the gt500 is still a beast car! I'd love to own one again. I used to have a 08 gt500 with a JPC 67mm turbo set-up. I could never get it tuned right, but it made gobs of power for that one snail and would get flat out squirrely on the highway sometimes on accident. I only ever made 571rwhp on 10psi, but I couldn't get the drive ability right. I only had it turbo'ed for a couple months before a lady ran a red light and clipped me causing me to hit a curb an total it . That's when I got the lightning.

Now I have a 5.0 as well and I love the power that it has completely stock. I'd love to put a blower on it, but I have no need to really. I'm sure I will one day, or maybe turbo which would be better. My gt500 never made it to the track, but my 5.0 completely stock and untuned ran a 12.88 with nothing but drag radials and a great launch. I imagine the gt500 was a bit faster but I know for sure stock it wasn't. The 08 gt500 was 35k when I bought it used and my 5.0 was 27999 when I got it. The 5.0 with 7k miles was cheaper and already faster plus 100k warranty . So no brained to me!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I'd go with the 5.0, the Shelby is more of a retirement present Considering the price on that thing, or find u a terminator, those *****es are mean as hell, I'd take one with good mileage over a 5.0 anyday
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A stock 5.0 makes under 400rwhp. How does that destroy a Shelby of any year? Did the Shelby driver know u were racing?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09 View Post
A stock 5.0 makes under 400rwhp. How does that destroy a Shelby of any year? Did the Shelby driver know u were racing?
Who does this refer to? If you are referring to me I never said that! My best friends gt500 is a 2012 and his best run is a 12.54@119 which is still really fast for south texas! All he has is a jlt intake on it with a tune on the stock tires. My 5.0 ran .4 slower with only drag radials so if I had full bolt ons I believe I would beat him fairly often! Now, if he starts adding boost or getting a open exhaust he has a chance to really increase his power and I wouldn't stand a chance! But he paid 41k for his car and I paid less than 28k for mine. If I took the 13k and invested in my 5.0 he wouldn't be worth my gas money to race him.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Actuallyyyyyy 420 lol
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

However it may concern.. Doesn't make any sense.. I own a Shelby and have driven many 5.0's . It's a comparison of apples and oranges or imports to v8's. add a blower to a 5.0 and get 500 hp.. Add a new blower to a Shelby and get 700hp.. Add nitrous to a stock 4 cylinder and nitrous to a v8.. Point is do the same mods to each car the bigger built car makes more power..

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

Actuallyyyyyy 420 lol
420 to the flywheel or to the tire? A 13' boss of a friend of mine dynoed stock at 392rwhp.. After mods 442
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

A stock 5.0 will generally dyno in the high 300s at the tires. They are underrated from Ford as was the Terminator and the 00R.

I'd still rather have a terminator vs a new 5.0. Fully forged low compression motor, T-56 vs the Getrag crap in the newer cars, factory supercharged, IRS, looks just mean as all hell and even a low mileage one that might seem expensive for a 10 yr old car is going to be $10k less than a 5.0... And you can get the nifty color change paint if you really look.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

It just goes back to what I said. Whoever has the most money wins.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That new 5.0' transmission is the downfall.. A friend of mine is on his 5th.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
+1
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
However it may concern.. Doesn't make any sense.. I own a Shelby and have driven many 5.0's . It's a comparison of apples and oranges or imports to v8's. add a blower to a 5.0 and get 500 hp.. Add a new blower to a Shelby and get 700hp.. Add nitrous to a stock 4 cylinder and nitrous to a v8.. Point is do the same mods to each car the bigger built car makes more power..

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

420 to the flywheel or to the tire? A 13' boss of a friend of mine dynoed stock at 392rwhp.. After mods 442
a full bolton 5.0 will stomp a 07-09 gt500. the 07-09 are only quick with a blower swap.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's not true at all, and I owned a turbo 08 making almost 600rwhp so I know my fair share about the 5.4s. I own a lightning with the same motor just 2v, as we speak. A coyote can make 450rwhp with nothing but bolt ons so adding a blower will get you WAY more than 500hp. Comparing the 5.0 to the 5.4 is nothing like what you are mentioning..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

That's not true at all, and I owned a turbo 08 making almost 600rwhp so I know my fair share about the 5.4s. I own a lightning with the same motor just 2v, as we speak. A coyote can make 450rwhp with nothing but bolt ons so adding a blower will get you WAY more than 500hp. Comparing the 5.0 to the 5.4 is nothing like what you are mentioning..
U had a turbo 5.4 that only made 600??? I make 603 out of the stock eaton who tuned ur car?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
That new 5.0' transmission is the downfall.. A friend of mine is on his 5th.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Pretty much... And there are a bunch of 700+whp Shelbys running around they are VERY easy to get power out of. So is the 5.0 and so are some of the older cars. I keep harping on the Terminator but a KB/Whipple swap one of those is pushing 700whp and the turbo Termis have been up and over 700whp for years. All on an untouched longblock.

And nowadays you see built 2Vs in the same territory. Been following a few build threads lately, one on the Corral is a built 2V in a Bullitt going on right now and the guy is going to be well into the 700whp+ range when done.

I honestly think that the Coyote is a bit played up and overrated... It is a GREAT motor don't get me wrong but it isn't the automatic win ppl seem to always think it is.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U had a turbo 5.4 that only made 600??? I make 603 out of the stock eaton who tuned ur car?
Yea it was a JPC set-up running 10psi. Could never get it tuned right but it was tuned by amazon. The tune was pulling like 10* timing because the 80lb injectors werent big enough and I was being safe. I had planned on running 16-18psi and shooting for 800rwhp, but some dumb *** t-boned me on a night coming home from work.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it was a JPC set-up running 10psi. Could never get it tuned right but it was tuned by amazon. The tune was pulling like 10* timing because the 80lb injectors werent big enough and I was being safe. I had planned on running 16-18psi and shooting for 800rwhp, but some dumb *** t-boned me on a night coming home from work.
Amazon? Rick tune ur car?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Amazon? Rick tune ur car?
I do believe so! Keep in mind it's been about a year and a half ago. I transferred my lightning over on their tunes for life plan, and have never had an issue with tuning the lightning. The MAF and injectors gave me issues on the gt500 from day one
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

I honestly think that the Coyote is a bit played up and overrated... It is a GREAT motor don't get me wrong but it isn't the automatic win ppl seem to always think it is.[/QUOTE]

Still takes money just like mine and urs.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I do believe so! Keep in mind it's been about a year and a half ago. I transferred my lightning over on their tunes for life plan, and have never had an issue with tuning the lightning. The MAF and injectors gave me issues on the gt500 from day one
The story's I have about him.. At least he didn't bust u for dyno time.. Tuned a guys car I know.. $200 an hr on the dyno.. Tuned for 6hrs and told him not to get on his car any cuz the tune wasn't finished.. Cheap skate!!! Multiple lawsuits against him.. Billet flow being one..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
Regular
Supporter

A 2011-13 with a blower will bust 700+whp which will destroy a 07 GT500. Those older GT500 have issues getting that power to the ground. They are top heavy like Dolly Parton.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
A 2011-13 with a blower will bust 700+whp which will destroy a 07 GT500. Those older GT500 have issues getting that power to the ground. They are top heavy like Dolly Parton.
Ur right it will bust the bottom end of that 5.0... Get rid of that boss intake manifold Ull pick up 40 ft lbs of torque
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

I'm still not seeing the point in the conversation. If we mod this or mod that or do this or do that, it could go on for all eternity. If I had a 91 5.0 and cash, I would crush them both.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Ur right it will bust the bottom end of that 5.0... Get rid of that boss intake manifold Ull pick up 40 ft lbs of torque
Says you....there are plenty of people running 700+ with no issues. This is the same conversation as a 4.6 with 500whp.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It's just a sword measuring contest bro.. The 5.0 guys will talk theirs up the Shelby guys talk theirs up. It is what it is.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

Says you....there are plenty of people running 700+ with no issues. This is the same conversation as a 4.6 with 500whp.
700+ on the stock bottom end? Come on.. Ur motor is on borrowed time..
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #32
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
It's just a sword measuring contest bro.. The 5.0 guys will talk theirs up the Shelby guys talk theirs up. It is what it is.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

700+ on the stock bottom end? Come on.. Ur motor is on borrowed time..
I agree. It all comes down to that "Anything can be fast" deal. 700+ on stock bottom end is a matter of tune. I know a stock bottom end 5.0 that gets beat up and has been doing it for a couple years..........and then some blow.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Face palm well I own a 5.0 that makes about 600 at tires and I will say this car is amazing . Now will it stomp a new gt500 probably not will the gt500 owner crap himself wondering why he's not blowing my doors of yes lol each are amazing for what they are gt500 50k car for just a name in my opinion a bad *** name but just a name my car only 30k in it with mods if I put another 5k on forged engine bye bye any gt500 lol

Both are great ask your self do you wana mod it and make it your own ? If so dnt bother with a gt500 waste of money if you wana keep it stock and maybe blower swap gt500
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

a 600rwhp coyote will stomp a new gt500.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Jeezus
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion