potential new owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
potential new owner

I am considering selling my 07 subaru impreza sti to get either 12' or 13' 5.0. The reason why I want to do this is that the boxer engine gets expensive quick. modding gets addicting and you always want more and need a new tune for everything you put on. 400whp is expensive to keep up with and the engine is a hit and miss. right now Im sitting on a very big decision to either finish my build or trade in for 5.0. car has the basic bolt ons. the new turbo is sitting on my desk plus injectors and a front mount intercooler waiting to put on. I can sell all that and get back about 2600 and sell the sti for 22k. I love this car but I need a change and crossing over to v8

My question is what do you guy like best about the new 5.0s I never owned one but always wanted to get a 93 cobra but could never find one. what do I look for in a used mustang I can perform a compression test and leak down to see if the engine is healthy. what numbers do I look for.
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
I like the roar, and power. Suspension sucks, even the brembo cars. But over all it's a great car.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03
I like the roar, and power. Suspension sucks, even the brembo cars. But over all it's a great car.
U should look into an 03-04 cobra
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
The instant power of these torque heavy V8s is a big part. Theres also a special bond that I've made with my 88 that I never got with my impreza. The handling can be solved very easily.

These cars especially the old pushrod v8s are SOOOOOO easy to work on

Compression test can be done (engine warm) and the numbers depend on if it is a stock rotating assembly etc. I could tell you for older cars but not newer ones.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
The instant power of these torque heavy V8s is a big part. Theres also a special bond that I've made with my 88 that I never got with my impreza. The handling can be solved very easily.

These cars especially the old pushrod v8s are SOOOOOO easy to work on

Compression test can be done (engine warm) and the numbers depend on if it is a stock rotating assembly etc. I could tell you for older cars but not newer ones.
i know how to do a compression test but just need to know the stock numbers for it the one im looking at has 18k miles on it and is a 12' and is the suspension stiff like track ready like the sti is or what? my fiance hates riding in my car cause its always making her boobs bounce
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
The reason I chose the 5.0 is because its a good mix of fun power, but also a bit more mature for taking clients to lunch and such. You won't get revved on by every high-schooler in a Civic. You can do some mild mods and get a good response with a decent tune. Def no where near handling capability of a modded STi or similar, but as stated its not as bad as older models and can be solved with some upgrades. Brakes are a bit squishy for my preference, but I'll upgrade as I replace.
BTW, huge facelift with new suspension and motor tweaks coming for the 2015 model if you can wait it out to see which you'd like.

PS: I'm a fan of Subbies, welcome!
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
The reason I chose the 5.0 is because its a good mix of fun power, but also a bit more mature for taking clients to lunch and such. You won't get revved on by every high-schooler in a Civic. You can do some mild mods and get a good response with a decent tune. Def no where near handling capability of a modded STi or similar, but as stated its not as bad as older models and can be solved with some upgrades. Brakes are a bit squishy for my preference, but I'll upgrade as I replace.
BTW, huge facelift with new suspension and motor tweaks coming for the 2015 model if you can wait it out to see which you'd like.

PS: I'm a fan of Subbies, welcome!
I can wait ill look into it im still looking around to see what pops up. Im already looking at mod for the 5.0 and I dont even own it. mods would be boss intake manifold, long tube headers with straight pipes, cai, dyno tune and a nice short shifter then beef up the suspension with some nitto nt05 275s in the back to get the traction down( i have these one my sti ) seems like a fun car with just that
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post

I can wait ill look into it im still looking around to see what pops up. Im already looking at mod for the 5.0 and I dont even own it. mods would be boss intake manifold, long tube headers with straight pipes, cai, dyno tune and a nice short shifter then beef up the suspension with some nitto nt05 275s in the back to get the traction down( i have these one my sti ) seems like a fun car with just that
Throw in 3.73 gears and 1pc aluminum driveshaft and your in the low 11s all day no problem!
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
Throw in 3.73 gears and 1pc aluminum driveshaft and your in the low 11s all day no problem!
I see interesting now to get the car searching for the right one though and sell the sti but im gonna wait a little longer and research some more. are there any defects with a particular year that i should look for?
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
The suspension isnt anywhere near as stiff as a stock STI (at least the old ones, new sti is supposed to be squishy)
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
I wouldnt know about the new ones but mine is stiff and very bouncy according to the girl
heres a pic my sti
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post

I see interesting now to get the car searching for the right one though and sell the sti but im gonna wait a little longer and research some more. are there any defects with a particular year that i should look for?
The only thing I've heard about is that early 11's with a manual transmission... There were some reports of problems with syncros, and shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe someone can jump in and elaborate... As far as I heard it was all covered through warranty. I've also heard that with the 11+ GTs its difficult to rush the shifts... I'm not speaking from personal experience though.
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post
I wouldnt know about the new ones but mine is stiff and very bouncy according to the girl
heres a pic my sti
Where's the pic of the girl? Haha... Hope you come to the dark side
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
This forum shouldn't be subjected to sti pictures lol trade it in get a stang ! Lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
JG5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 268
Pros

Way more power for less money
Boxer sounds nice but V8 better IMO
Less drivetrain to worry about when building
More FI options
Cheaper parts basically

Cons

Handling if you wanna auto X
Awd for nasty launches
Subaru wrx/sti holds value a lot longer

That's about it I think. My bro has a 12 WRX, stage 2. Fun car, always gets me at start obviously but my Paxton isn't very forgiving an catches up really fast. For $5500 I have 558rwhp too which he hates it was that easy. Both great cars, just depends what you wanna use it for. Of its more power with less money like stated above, I would go 5.0
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post

i know how to do a compression test but just need to know the stock numbers for it the one im looking at has 18k miles on it and is a 12' and is the suspension stiff like track ready like the sti is or what? my fiance hates riding in my car cause its always making her boobs bounce
So hold your fiances boobs down and they won't bounce. That's how I would roll. Easy fix. Just drive around with your hand on her boobs. Just saying
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

So hold your fiances boobs down and they won't bounce. That's how I would roll. Easy fix. Just drive around with your hand on her boobs. Just saying
Not a bad idea lol
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Region: California
Posts: 34
I left an Audi A4 to come over to my 5.0 just under 2 months ago. I loved the Audi, handled amazing and Quattro is every bit as good as they claim it to be. Even running a big turbo, REVO tuning, and every other bolt on and mod I did, I could barely keep up with one of these new 5.0's. The engine stock is great and for very few mods you can have a very impressive car. The fit and finish may not be the same as my Audi was, but I wouldn't trade back for anything. There's nothing like the sound of a roaring V8 and it always turns heads. I've even been parked and had cops walk by and compliment the car just sitting still. It's a car that you can drive in a suit or in shorts and a t-shirt.I have a good friend who has a 2013 EVO and his main complaint is that it's expensive to get that car to what he feels is a respectable WHP for a reasonable amount of money. Cobb tuning is expensive.

I'd try to find a friend or even someone on this board who will take you for a ride or a drive. The dealer would be nice, but they aren't going to run it like a friend will. Visit YouTube and look at all the videos, this car is just as great as all the reviews and owners have claimed. Good luck!!
fastfoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Yes the modding part is expensive for just a little gain what i spent on my car alone would already got me around 600whp on the stang. I also get a lot of stares around town with my car. Plus the subaru community is very friendly always getting waved at by another subaru
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Region: California
Posts: 34
Yeah the Audi guys are like that too. But funny enough, I have run into the same with mustang drivers. Friendly nods and conversations at the gas station with strangers are common. Even more so than when I had my Audi which was very modded. I was surprised at what I could have done to this car for what I had spent on my Audi too.
fastfoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastJ View Post
Yes the modding part is expensive for just a little gain what i spent on my car alone would already got me around 600whp on the stang. I also get a lot of stares around town with my car. Plus the subaru community is very friendly always getting waved at by another subaru
I always wave at other fellow mustangs and they rarely waive back. Young or old drivers, men or woman, they are a different bread. Not like corvette owners or Harley Davidson owners.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I like the roar, and power. Suspension sucks, even the brembo cars. But over all it's a great car.
In stock form it beat the STI and EVO around VIR by more the 1.5 seconds on both. So the suspension isn't all that bad IMO. But there is definitely room for improvement.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Region: Other
Posts: 77
Although the GT may "feel" like it handles more poorly than the STI, in actuality it outperforms it in independent testing. Even Motor Trend got .94 G out of their GT.
2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium First Test - Motor Trend

2007 Subaru WRX STI Limited - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Yeah, it's bench racing...but there's a lot of data to back it up. That being said, you'll not like the loss of traction, compared to the STI.
__________________
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Shockesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 128
I had a 2007 STI as well love the mustang won't go back. Plus there is so much you can do to this car!
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
The reason I chose the 5.0 is because its a good mix of fun power, but also a bit more mature for taking clients to lunch and such. You won't get revved on by every high-schooler in a Civic. You can do some mild mods and get a good response with a decent tune. Def no where near handling capability of a modded STi or similar, but as stated its not as bad as older models and can be solved with some upgrades. Brakes are a bit squishy for my preference, but I'll upgrade as I replace.
BTW, huge facelift with new suspension and motor tweaks coming for the 2015 model if you can wait it out to see which you'd like.

PS: I'm a fan of Subbies, welcome!
I had a jetta with a fart pipe pull along side me while cruising down the highway and rev. I didn't even give him the satisfaction of getting destroyed by me. High-schooler's are still pretty ******y haha.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

I had a jetta with a fart pipe pull along side me while cruising down the highway and rev. I didn't even give him the satisfaction of getting destroyed by me. High-schooler's are still pretty ******y haha.
Ha I had a vw gti pull up to me revving I messing around honked 3 times and watched him take off lol then I caught and said good race I probably made his day
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
found a 12' it is black and has red interior is that like a special one or just part of the options it has. it about $26k and has 24500 miles on it. im sure I can talk the price down to 25k which is what im willing to pay for a used one. I seen some 13's going for 26k and up and have less miles than that. is that a good buy or not or should i just stick with the 13' with 8k miles
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 411
Get the 13s ... The new tails will be nice and standard hiss in the front are cool also... If I had a twelve I'd try to switch
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
black
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#0
grey
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#2
black one is the 12' and the grey one is the 13' I like the grey one but the color is not me I like the black one and I also like the color but the grey one is more new decisions decisions oh and the black one is a premium I think. looks like it has brembos so thats a plus for me
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackBetty5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 167
If I were you I would keep the STI, I love those cars! Even an 07' which I assume is paid off (no car payments you can do whatever you want to it!). I almost bought one but got a better deal on the GT, I needed something family friendly. I never would have bought a mustang though if they didn't come out with the 2013 with the revised front and rear tail lights, to me, they make the car. (yea yea start hatin 11+12 owners). Either way the GT and the STI are both great cars no matter how you shake it. Oh and get the grey one! I am constantly washing and buffing mine to get rid of the spots and swirl marks, I will never again buy a black car. Not to mention the 7800 miles on the grey and the 20k+ on the black one with an intake which would require a tune and you have no idea what the previous owner did to it.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Moved to general mustang discussion
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty5.0 View Post
If I were you I would keep the STI, I love those cars! Even an 07' which I assume is paid off (no car payments you can do whatever you want to it!). I almost bought one but got a better deal on the GT, I needed something family friendly. I never would have bought a mustang though if they didn't come out with the 2013 with the revised front and rear tail lights, to me, they make the car. (yea yea start hatin 11+12 owners). Either way the GT and the STI are both great cars no matter how you shake it. Oh and get the grey one! I am constantly washing and buffing mine to get rid of the spots and swirl marks, I will never again buy a black car. Not to mention the 7800 miles on the grey and the 20k+ on the black one with an intake which would require a tune and you have no idea what the previous owner did to it.
Yes I can do anything to it but they are such delicate cars that one thing will ruin it and I had so much planned for it but I took a step back and realized how much I spent on it just for a little gain. The handling I will miss for sure gassing it and not having to worry about losing traction hard take offs that probably break an infants neck . Boost reaching full by 2800 rpms. I done so much to this car the money I spent on the new motor for it could of got me so much more.
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Shockesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 128
I would go grey, black shows to many swirl marks and scratches. All though I have owned 4 black cars in my lifetime. When they are shined up there's nothing that looks better than a black stang. I would add black matte stripes,to the grey looks pretty sharp. iMO.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLUTE
Region: Texas
Posts: 196
Test drove the gray one today car feels great go back on Monday still working out a deal but it looks like I will be the new owner of a 13 5.0 there was a difference going from a awd car to a rwd but the power right when I press the peddle is amazing no lag like a turbo car
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:43 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.