Fox body or new edge? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fox body or new edge?

I have been battling a decision , im considering selling my 2003 gt and finding me a fox body mustang at times I don't want to sell since I've done so much to this car, any opinions or comments are welcomed, just having a hard time making up my mind
llvllanifest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If u do sell why don't u sell me that lovely cobra rear bumper lol? Nah I think u should keep and buy a 1 or 2k fox and build It up.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah It's an idea just figure I could sell and use the money to get me a nice fox body, they are starting to slim Down, hard to find a good fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes just keep bumper thing in mind lol as I have a huge hole in mine and in desperate need of a new one
Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just keep in mind that a Fox is an older car. To match the quality and condition of your 03 would probably require a good bit of work.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Very true , my 03 has never let me down , it's very reliable and overall condition is great, and a fox is pretty old you bring up a good point sir
Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

But a fox is a "labor of love" car. And doesn't take much to make stupid fast.

I wouldn't get rid of my fox for anything now...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The fit/finish on a fox is nowhere near the SN95/Edge especially for a DD. I always think of a fox as a weekend warrior or track only car vs a driver although ppl do it. And no it does not take much to make them fast as hell. You can get a notch down to under 3000lbs no problem.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Do u have ghost flames on ur gt? The pics of ur car are sick! That car looks like a keeper to me. What all have u done to it?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they are actually ghost scalops, I've done lots to it cosmetically and interior , just now thinking about getting under the hood, possible a turbo or super , not sure what route to take. Want to keep it streetable . Is 600hp asking too much?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvllanifest View Post
Yeah they are actually ghost scalops, I've done lots to it cosmetically and interior , just now thinking about getting under the hood, possible a turbo or super , not sure what route to take. Want to keep it streetable . Is 600hp asking too much?
Not unless you have a tire store it ain't asking too much lol
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You'll need to build your motor from the inside if you want 600 horse

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No 302 will survive more than one run past 600 hp.

Swap to a 351, throw on trick flow heads and then throw on a turbo.

600-700 RWHP achieved

Old 08-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

He has a modular, and no they don't live much past 400 to the wheels. If you've never experienced that power level I suggest you supercharge what you have and drive around at that level for awhile while building a better motor on the side. Blocks can be had pretty much free and you need to buy everything else new anyway. Even the Teksids are pretty cheap if you can find one locally. I paid $250 for my Teksid and 98 Cobra forged crank from a guy 2 hrs away.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I hear what you're saying,, had a sonic blue 03' cobra before this gt that was pulling 500 maybe a little over to the wheels and I miss that power. What's another 100 right. Hell , I'd be happy with 500. So keep the 4.6 and beef up the internals??
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He has a modular, and no they don't live much past 400 to the wheels. If you've never experienced that power level I suggest you supercharge what you have and drive around at that level for awhile while building a better motor on the side. Blocks can be had pretty much free and you need to buy everything else new anyway. Even the Teksids are pretty cheap if you can find one locally. I paid $250 for my Teksid and 98 Cobra forged crank from a guy 2 hrs away.
Thought he was talking bout the fox

Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear what you're saying,, had a sonic blue 03' cobra before this gt that was pulling 500 maybe a little over to the wheels and I miss that power. What's another 100 right. Hell , I'd be happy with 500. So keep the 4.6 and beef up the internals??
Right. What Scotty was saying is that your modular block is practically bulletproof, unlike a Windsor block in a Fox. The rotating assembly will frag after around 400hp though. You can use your GT crank and run forged rods and pistons and be safe to around 700. You'll need quite a bit of work to make that with a 2v so it should be all you ever need.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Right. What Scotty was saying is that your modular block is practically bulletproof, unlike a Windsor block in a Fox. The rotating assembly will frag after around 400hp though. You can use your GT crank and run forged rods and pistons and be safe to around 700. You'll need quite a bit of work to make that with a 2v so it should be all you ever need.
Why is this thought so prevalent? For a 2V to hit 700whp you need:

-Forged rotating assy
-Ported PI heads
-Edelbrock intake (although the stock intake is proven to go over 600 easy)
-Blower cams
-22 to 24 psi through a turbo

Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

-Forged rotating assy
-Ported PI heads
-Blower cams
You consistently assist me with questions that I don't even ask....thanks!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

-Forged rotating assy
-Ported PI heads
-Blower cams
I have both a New Edge GT and a Fox GT. By far the new edge handles way better and is overall a better car. Scotty is absolutely right. That's actually my plan to go with mine once winter rolls around (fingers crossed)

Save up some funds and wait for the right fox to come up for sale. Meanwhile build that 2V!!!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well once we get in buying a complete rotating assembly , block, blower , ECt. How much money am I looking at here ..15g's ? I'm almost thinking I should get a terminator instead. Those 32v can handle plenty of horsepower right ? I heard somewhere in the 800 range
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Termi is never a bad decision. Unless you get one an absolute idiot owner had.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well once we get in buying a complete rotating assembly , block, blower , ECt. How much money am I looking at here ..15g's ? I'm almost thinking I should get a terminator instead. Those 32v can handle plenty of horsepower right ? I heard somewhere in the 800 range
Complete rotating assembly not needed, just rods and pistons. Nor is a block, mod blocks are stout. As for a "blower", a turbo like Scotty said is best. Intercooled, etc, with fuel is at least 5k. alone. You'll eclipse the cost of a Terminator, but be reminded that while they handle lots of power, they don't exactly make it in stock form. You'll spend thousands to get that Terminator there as well.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote:

-Forged rotating assy
-Ported PI heads
-Blower cams
Because that is a lot of money and a lot of boost.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If you have the money to keep the fox running, I'd say go ahead and get it. I love how they shake the ground & every car around them
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

The issue with getting a terminator is that a lot of ppl don't want a payment and don't exactly have $15-$20k to drop cash, I know I don't want a car payment again after my current ones are done. From here on out it is "buy used and buy cash". Only way I will have a car payment is if I can get 0% from Ford or Honda (Father in law is a Honda A-tech and I can get his discount) with a good extended warranty plan.

Here is my other issue, if I had a Terminator it'd HAVE to be low mileage and then I'd never want to drive it much less race it/beat on it. My current 98GT is a... well its a 98 GT. Not really worth anything so I'll never get my money back out of it but I can beat the living **** out of it, drive it in the rain if I need to, mod it to hell and back etc... etc... and I'm not tearing up some collector car. But... if you can get a Termi and you don't have the same hangups I do then you'll get a car that's already done.

And now we get into the 2V vs 4V... if all you want is a 600-700whp car the 2V can get you there easy. With that said the 4V is a way better setup and the cost of a set of C heads completely gone through is only marginally more than a set of max ported PI heads and less than TFS 2V heads brand new. Quote from a local porter who is well known as one of the best around (Dave Jack in Rahway, NJ) for a set of completely gone through C heads is $2k and that's with porting/new valves, guide upgrades, errthang. I can get a good set of unrevised C cores for $200 off a Continental if I look. Now, there IS other 4V conversion stuff like the front cover, accessories etc... but if you are building a new motor on a stand from scratch you need to do that anyway. Cams CAN cost more for the 4V as well and they will for sure if you are doing custom blower cams but honestly a set of 96-98 Cobra cams will be more than enough for most ppl and support stupid power levels all while being nice and smooth/stock drivability at the same time.

Ok... I need more coffee... Yay 0400-1200 shift! Blueberry from 7/11 sounds good right about meow...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Damn lol

Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just ask Scotty forum lol
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

He needs his own section lol.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
The fit/finish on a fox is nowhere near the SN95/Edge especially for a DD. I always think of a fox as a weekend warrior or track only car vs a driver although ppl do it. And no it does not take much to make them fast as hell. You can get a notch down to under 3000lbs no problem.
Yes people do it..I traded a scooter for my fox. Was a dd for 1yr half to 2 yrs except when snowed borrowed parents car. Then got a jeep and mostly drove that. Moved about 3 months ago. Stopped driving jeep 2weeks pevious to move because needed tires. Brought Jeep to parents to jeep to leave untill could get tires. Going back for it in a week. Fox has been my dd these past months. Was working two jobs before move and am again currently. Kind of looks like hell but runs. Gives me some spitting issues at higher rpm sometimes. Mind you I've concentrated on mechanicals. I or I should say mechanic fixed/replaced ton. Probably going to keep it ugly..framerot in.schock tower passenger side, fenders attached only along hood. Mines tied with rope now lol so I don't have to lift it to open door. Passenger side I do.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Get a beat up ol' fox and have fun with it. Thats what im doing and they are fun to play with. Also the values are increasing on them so u can consider it an investment.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Get a beat up ol' fox and have fun with it. Thats what im doing and they are fun to play with. Also the values are increasing on them so u can consider it an investment.
Thats what I did. Bought a 90' GT for 1,500 off craigslist, and put a cam, intake, Vortech, and T-5 swap. Oh and painted it matte black. Fun car to drive, but in Fl with no A/C, I tend to drive my New edge. During the summer (which is March through November)

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Very good suggestions and opinions , I'm guess I'm going to hold on to my 03 gt and look for a fox body that I can work on here and there, I think I'm going to supercharge my car first , maybe go with a Kenne bell and keep the boost at around 8lbs. That should wake my car up and make it more enjoyable to drive And like most of y'all said, get me another block that I can work on and get it boost ready, ( big boost )..dss block .. Are they any good??
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very good suggestions and opinions , I'm guess I'm going to hold on to my 03 gt and look for a fox body that I can work on here and there, I think I'm going to supercharge my car first , maybe go with a Kenne bell and keep the boost at around 8lbs. That should wake my car up and make it more enjoyable to drive And like most of y'all said, get me another block that I can work on and get it boost ready, ( big boost )..dss block .. Are they any good??
Blocks aren't a big concern if you don't want more than 6-700hp. Don't have two projects going though, even if one is just a motor. Best this is to focus on one thing at a time to keep your budget from stretching too far.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

The modular blocks are good for well over 1k hp, again, its the rotating assy that needs upgraded... well pretty much the whole car should be upgraded when you start going past the 400-500whp level...

Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The modular blocks are good for well over 1k hp, again, its the rotating assy that needs upgraded... well pretty much the whole car should be upgraded when you start going past the 400-500whp level...
We're getting to be a broken record on this thread lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion