Raxiom Headlight Problems!! (HELP) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Raxiom Headlight Problems!! (HELP)

Hi, (1st Problem)

A little background information regarding my vehicle. I have a 2010 Mustang GT and just recently decided to buy Raxiom Halo Projector Lights. I bought the lights from Stangmods.com because they gave me warranty if I buy the lights with there HID Kit. The HID kit doesn't have name in my knowledge and the lights are 35W 6K. I also bought the switchback kit from Americanmuscle to add to my install. I decided to install them this last Saturday with my cousin and ran into problems that my driver side projector light doesn't turn on. I had the same problem with the Passenger side but I had to just replace those blue little connectors that came with the headlights (Sorry don't know the name ) and that solved the problem.....On the driver side it was just a pain. When I first installed the driver side and decided to turn it on, I came to realize that the fuse blew so decided to replace it and redue the wiring. After replacing the fuse and rewired the headlights it began to work and I though problem solved. At the end of the day both headlights and switchbacks were working. I decided to go out that night and when I went to the store I noticed the driver headlight was out. When I mean it was out I meant that its only the projector. The ring around the projector turns on and the 3 Leds underneath the parking lights. However those only turn on when I hit the blinker. When I saw the light was out I though they were out for sure. I went to the store turned my car on and the light turned on again. When I got home I checked the light, it was off again. Since last night, the projector has not been on but only my passenger side is. I decided to look at the fuse and it was blown again. Everytime I would put a new fuse in it would blow. I then called stangmods and was told that it could be a bad ballast which they are sending me a new one. What do you guys think this problem is. I am going to a shop that is going to go through my work and probably redue it all. Any opinions?

2nd Problem:
The second problem I have that I just noticed is fog in one of my headlights. The fog is inside and have no idea how it happened. I did drive the vehicle today but the headlights weren't on today at all and of course it had to be the one that's down. I don't know if this is a problem but would love to know the cause.

Concern: My concern is that my lights wont be fixed. At this point I don't know what to do and I am coming her for advise. Please help!!
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
In your situation, I would have gotten with stangmods about that warranty. If you've started messing with wiring, that warranty may be void now.

As far as trying to find a fix for your light not working, look for any loose or damaged connectors. Also inspect all of the wiring for abnormal bending or pinching
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
In your situation, I would have gotten with stangmods about that warranty. If you've started messing with wiring, that warranty may be void now.

As far as trying to find a fix for your light not working, look for any loose or damaged connectors. Also inspect all of the wiring for abnormal bending or pinching
The way I wired it was the way it said on the instructions. The only problem are the tap splice that would not make good contact because when a light wouldn't work and I replace it, it would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
If you did everything per the instructions, get with stangmods and see if they can replace your kit, or if they have any known issues and possible fixes
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
If you did everything per the instructions, get with stangmods and see if they can replace your kit, or if they have any known issues and possible fixes
They think its the ballast because of the blown fuses. It is coming in the mail
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
LMNO,

I would try the new ballast that stangmods is sending out to you. However, if that doesn't do the trick, then definitely push for a warranty replacement. Sometimes finding the defective component out of the bunch can be difficult and annoying to deal with, which is why it might be better to just get a new set.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the headlights out and apply a silicone sealant all the way around the edge of the lens. Just make sure there's no moisture showing internally before you add the sealant.

I'm sure stangmods will get you squared away!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
LMNO,

I would try the new ballast that stangmods is sending out to you. However, if that doesn't do the trick, then definitely push for a warranty replacement. Sometimes finding the defective component out of the bunch can be difficult and annoying to deal with, which is why it might be better to just get a new set.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the headlights out and apply a silicone sealant all the way around the edge of the lens. Just make sure there's no moisture showing internally before you add the sealant.

I'm sure stangmods will get you squared away!

Shane
Do you know if the moisture will damage anything or dis color the lights?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post

Do you know if the moisture will damage anything or dis color the lights?
The projector is self contained so moisture past the lens won't harm it unless your HIDs were to boil that moisture while it was rest on the projector lens itself. I also have raxioms and HIDs in my 2012 and have never had a single issue. Your switchbacks sound like they were wired wrong if they turn off unless using the blinker. I don't understand what you mean by the wiring, and I don't know if a picture of my wiring will help any but I'll send one anyways. If I were you I would check all connections and make sure they are in the right order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-805553547.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	551.9 KB
ID:	123654  
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

The projector is self contained so moisture past the lens won't harm it unless your HIDs were to boil that moisture while it was rest on the projector lens itself. I also have raxioms and HIDs in my 2012 and have never had a single issue. Your switchbacks sound like they were wired wrong if they turn off unless using the blinker. I don't understand what you mean by the wiring, and I don't know if a picture of my wiring will help any but I'll send one anyways. If I were you I would check all connections and make sure they are in the right order.
Did you use any tap slices? A concern of mine regarding the wiring is that when I turn my parking lights on only the only thing that's on is the parking lights and that's it. Other users seem to have the parking lights, 3 LEDs underneath the parking lights and the ring that's around the projector. I think it could be that I wired it wrong.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

I don't think me wiring it wrong would blow the fuses tho
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you use any tap slices? A concern of mine regarding the wiring is that when I turn my parking lights on only the only thing that's on is the parking lights and that's it. Other users seem to have the parking lights, 3 LEDs underneath the parking lights and the ring that's around the projector. I think it could be that I wired it wrong.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

I don't think me wiring it wrong would blow the fuses tho
Your fuses blowing is likely from a over draw from whatever you tapped into or a loose ground wire. I only wire tapped my lights into the parking lights with little quick connects. It was as simple as pulling back the electrical tape from the turn signal harness and connecting the purple and black wires up with the red and black. Mine looks like this when I press unlock on the car in the first picture. The second picture is with the headlight switch in the auto position with the car on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1009410589.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	123678   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3886394703.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	123679  

Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your fuses blowing is likely from a over draw from whatever you tapped into or a loose ground wire. I only wire tapped my lights into the parking lights with little quick connects. It was as simple as pulling back the electrical tape from the turn signal harness and connecting the purple and black wires up with the red and black. Mine looks like this when I press unlock on the car in the first picture. The second picture is with the headlight switch in the auto position with the car on.
Ill be taking my car to a shop hopefully Friday and tell them to do the same connecting as you did. I have a new ballast coming just in case and waiting on that. I hope I have no more problems after having a shop do it. Do u think they will do something else and not use the tap splice?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ill be taking my car to a shop hopefully Friday and tell them to do the same connecting as you did. I have a new ballast coming just in case and waiting on that. I hope I have no more problems after having a shop do it. Do u think they will do something else and not use the tap splice?
They might solder the wires, but I'm not sure. I wanted to make sure I did it reversible so that way I could return to stock later
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They might solder the wires, but I'm not sure. I wanted to make sure I did it reversible so that way I could return to stock later
Well if soldering the wires will make it better and less of a hassle, I rather they do that
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I went to the shopped and had the lights re installed and so far so good. Replaced the ballast and rewired everything so that it can look like user "ZLwhat". I hope they stay working. Thank you all.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just encountered another problem!!!! I just noticed it not to long ago and it was after I left the shop. My blinker seems to be on roids when I hit it on. I have a 10 GT so my back lights are sequential. For some reason they are not sequential and blink all at once. When I turn my hazards on, they blink like normal inside the car but I want to turn them on individually they are blinking way to fast. Lets keep in mind I have the switchback LEDs from AM. Can anyone help?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO
Just encountered another problem!!!! I just noticed it not to long ago and it was after I left the shop. My blinker seems to be on roids when I hit it on. I have a 10 GT so my back lights are sequential. For some reason they are not sequential and blink all at once. When I turn my hazards on, they blink like normal inside the car but I want to turn them on individually they are blinking way to fast. Lets keep in mind I have the switchback LEDs from AM. Can anyone help?
Often with led lights you have to wire a resistor in line because the lights don't pull enough power. Your car basically thinks the light is blown.

I sure hope these lights are worth the time, money and frustration for you...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Often with led lights you have to wire a resistor in line because the lights don't pull enough power. Your car basically thinks the light is blown.

I sure hope these lights are worth the time, money and frustration for you...
Resistors are installed but must something must not be making contact.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so finally had the resistors check by the shop and they started working. On my way home it was no problem but decided to drive it at night. I noticed that only my driver side was blinking fast. I deduced to just move the wires around and it started working. Took it for a drive and the blinker started flashing hard again. It seems like it only does it when I take off fast for hit a bump. I moved the wire again and it started working. Since I moved it the last time it hasn't stopped working. Does anybody know why it would do This? I noticed that when I moved the wires all the wiring was all bunched up. I kinda moved everything aside to give each wire some breathing room. What do u guys think?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright so finally had the resistors check by the shop and they started working. On my way home it was no problem but decided to drive it at night. I noticed that only my driver side was blinking fast. I deduced to just move the wires around and it started working. Took it for a drive and the blinker started flashing hard again. It seems like it only does it when I take off fast for hit a bump. I moved the wire again and it started working. Since I moved it the last time it hasn't stopped working. Does anybody know why it would do This? I noticed that when I moved the wires all the wiring was all bunched up. I kinda moved everything aside to give each wire some breathing room. What do u guys think?
Sounds like a loose connection that you are giving a greater contact by re adjusting the wire. Try figuring out which one is loose by wiggling them around and either fix the loose connection or make it work and electrical tape the &/;@/ out of it
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds like a loose connection that you are giving a greater contact by re adjusting the wire. Try figuring out which one is loose by wiggling them around and either fix the loose connection or make it work and electrical tape the &/;@/ out of it
Would it be the splice that is connected to the wire? If it is I would think its the new splice that was inserted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion