Build the 2v or get a new 5.0?? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My buddy had a procharged 2v he is throwing out 500hp to the wheels
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
My buddy had a procharged 2v he is throwing out 500hp to the wheels
2vs are no slouch when built up, I'm looking to doing a vortech and cams next summer since I've already got a good summer job lined up to make enough for both.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4

2vs are no slouch when built up, I'm looking to doing a vortech and cams next summer since I've already got a good summer job lined up to make enough for both.
Yea no doubt. New edges look better to so to build one up would be the best thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

Yea no doubt. New edges look better to so to build one up would be the best thing
All opinionated lol the 11s are way more modern lol do what's guna make you happy 1-3 yrs down the road . I personably think get yourself a better platform 5.0 is more modern car period and interior alone would make me like it over a new edge just my thoughts
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Luckily im very very patient at making big purchases and make sure im 100% on it lol. So both are still an option but im leaning more towards building my gt
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT
Luckily im very very patient at making big purchases and make sure im 100% on it lol. So both are still an option but im leaning more towards building my gt
What kind of supercharger u lookin at?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Probably procharger. It was kenne bell or pc but I decided I like the pc setup and its easier to install.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Probably procharger. It was kenne bell or pc but I decided I like the pc setup and its easier to install.
It's ganna be badass man!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Vortechs are cheaper and just as good IMO. Im going positive displacement with mine. Either used KB or new TT.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I know how centri's do better with high end power and roots do better with low end power...that being said which would be safer (more reliable for a dd)?
Im 50/50 for both, love both sounds and both im looking at are about the same price and both say their product is most reliable. Lol
Thanks for any input
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Either depending on your driving habits and style. The newer roots blowers like the TVS 1900 do not run out of air up top tho...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I think the kenne bell would probably fit my driving habits more...i usually baby it but like to do a few pulls every once in awhile while staying away from redline
Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Vortechs are cheaper and just as good IMO. Im going positive displacement with mine. Either used KB or new TT.

+1 vortech is the way I'm going more than likey when I'm ready to put a charger on mine.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

You really can't go wrong with a Vortech. Cheap, reliable, makes great power. Non-intercooled S trim WITH a fuel system can be done for under $1500 easy and as long as your tune is good it'll be fine. All the 5.0 guys run around with no intercooler since its a pain in the sack to fit in there vs the modular.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have any of you guys priced out a used low mileage 5.0 4v swap. It will bolt up to your transmissions with a QuickTime bell housing. The y make 5.0 long tube and mid pipe swap systems for your exhaust. AND you get to start off with 370ish rwhp. Tuning, swap headers, intake, boss manifold, and some 93 octane and you would be same HP as a pulley, intake, and tune termi. 11second NA car and it's unique.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are talking about the new 5.0 motor you are not going to get one of them in running properly for under $10k. If you are talking about a 93-98 4V or a 99/01 or 03/04 4V then its actually very cost effective. And you still will get outrun by the 2V with a cheap Vortech.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
+1 vortech is the way I'm going more than likey when I'm ready to put a charger on mine.
Vortec is a great choice...I put a Vortec on my 93GT and WOW, did that thing ever come to life.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #53

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
You can buy a Coyote crate motor for around $7k...Why not drop a 5.0 in what you have now?
best thing to do ...... you will have a brand new 5.0 . if u were going to build 2v u could spend alil more and do a coyote swap ... just like me

i had a built 2v wit a 2.1 kb and ill take these new 5.0 over it any day
tj4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4891 View Post

best thing to do ...... you will have a brand new 5.0 . if u were going to build 2v u could spend alil more and do a coyote swap ... just like me

i had a built 2v wit a 2.1 kb and ill take these new 5.0 over it any day
How hard was the fitment and all? It wouldnt have just dropped right in right? Ive considered it...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you are talking about the new 5.0 motor you are not going to get one of them in running properly for under $10k. If you are talking about a 93-98 4V or a 99/01 or 03/04 4V then its actually very cost effective. And you still will get outrun by the 2V with a cheap Vortech.
Late model resto has an entire kit for less than that. Including the ECU, Trans harness, main engine harness, crate engine and motor mounts.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #56

Quote:
How hard was the fitment and all? It wouldnt have just dropped right in right? Ive considered it...
everything bolts to a 4.6 kmember. they even make kmembers for the swap
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Late model resto has an entire kit for less than that. Including the ECU, Trans harness, main engine harness, crate engine and motor mounts.
Lol you're telling me that's ALL you need to drop a 5.0 into a SN95/Edge car? That's just to get you started. Again, you're looking at $10k.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Lol you're telling me that's ALL you need to drop a 5.0 into a SN95/Edge car? That's just to get you started. Again, you're looking at $10k.
6k motor
699 kmember upr coilovers
799 division x budget fuel system
1500 pcm harnes
350 alternator kit
500 longtubes
350 xpipe
350 oil pan, dont really need it tho
250 jlt intake
Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

If i didnt have only 30k on it i probably would but shes got a lot more life to er
Old 08-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If i didnt have only 30k on it i probably would but shes got a lot more life to er
More the beter your cars parts are still freah n new and arnt going to break if you do this swap and plus its totally wicked
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 AM   #61
Road Trip!

Idk about all these people recommending superchargers to everybody. I understand that everybody mods to their taste and budget. But IMO I wouldn't even bother spending all that money on a super just to put it on a stock block and HAVE to keep the boost low. If it were me I would save the money for a forged rotating assembly. N if I can get that the. Your actually serious about the FI. That way you can boost away! Lol

As far as building the 2v. Idk if the OP decided what he was gonna do yet, but I e been thinking about building mine. There's not much but I have heard good things about those trick flow heads instead of the stock PI heads. But idk if that would be good with an auto (what I have)

Ps OP that's a clean *** fox!!!

I can see why this decision is difficult and I think you'll be happy either way lol

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Sorry I meant idk if they would go well with 4.10 gears
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. Yeah its a good think im fine being patient spending that amount of money, not good how indecisive on which ill love more lol. I was like 80% on building it yesterday again then rode by a 2013 gt with borla that looked and sounded so good now back to square one lol. Oh well I might just do both but finance the new one now and build the 2v once im able to save up again. And i only hve 3.73's not 4.10'a btw :p
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #63
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Idk about all these people recommending superchargers to everybody. I understand that everybody mods to their taste and budget. But IMO I wouldn't even bother spending all that money on a super just to put it on a stock block and HAVE to keep the boost low. If it were me I would save the money for a forged rotating assembly. N if I can get that the. Your actually serious about the FI. That way you can boost away! Lol

As far as building the 2v. Idk if the OP decided what he was gonna do yet, but I e been thinking about building mine. There's not much but I have heard good things about those trick flow heads instead of the stock PI heads. But idk if that would be good with an auto (what I have)

Ps OP that's a clean *** fox!!!

I can see why this decision is difficult and I think you'll be happy either way lol

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Sorry I meant idk if they would go well with 4.10 gears
Ppl recommend superchargers because you go straight to 400whp and you can build a forged rotating assembly later if you want more. Its going to cost $5-$6k to build and install a worked modular vs the $1500 or so for a S trim and you still have to add the supercharger on top of the forged motor to get to the big numbers. Just my opinion but the numbers don't lie.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ppl recommend superchargers because you go straight to 400whp and you can build a forged rotating assembly later if you want more. Its going to cost $5-$6k to build and install a worked modular vs the $1500 or so for a S trim and you still have to add the supercharger on top of the forged motor to get to the big numbers. Just my opinion but the numbers don't lie.
Hmm that's interesting. But people on here are always saying that when dealing with 2v's when you get around 400 is when your playing with fire. I mean like your tranny will go or your bottom will go. Is this true? Do people just do this so they can have a reason to build their engines up? (If I had the funds that's what I would do lol)
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm that's interesting. But people on here are always saying that when dealing with 2v's when you get around 400 is when your playing with fire. I mean like your tranny will go or your bottom will go. Is this true? Do people just do this so they can have a reason to build their engines up? (If I had the funds that's what I would do lol)
Member on here has stock internals and has been boosted for about a year at around 460hp and torque
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Any transmission in a modular car is good for 500hp no problem. The stock internals are fine at 400whp, its when you start pushing past that where you run into issues. And yes, there are a TON of ppl who do unnecessary rebuilds. Look at 5.0 land, half the ppl on there who do rebuilds put forged internals into stock blocks and boost them and are still limited to 450-500whp. They could have done a simple GT40 head/intake swap and a supercharger and gone right to 450whp on the stock motor but for some reason that is not done very often. I chalk that up to ignorance or not wanting to get blown. Or not knowing that a 351 based combo is almost no more money and the returns are through the roof vs the 5.0 but that's 5.0 land, not 4.6 land...

Quote:
Member on here has stock internals and has been boosted for about a year at around 460hp and torque
That IS playing with fire IMO but its working for him. A really good tune and keeping the RPMs down will help a lot. I would not run MY motor anywhere close to that though. Stock rods should be set to 400/400 on a good dyno tune and call it a day.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Welp the tb and my subframes should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, then I would've done all the bolt ons for the 2v, its pretty much decision time! Just bought some land for 8k down payment and a loan and ive got 2k still saved up so ill probably have 4k within two months then ill have to make my decision on how to play with that $$$ I'll be ready to boost er or get the 5.0. I always want to boost er till I see a new 5.0 then im like d*** lol id get a termi if I could find one in my area but theyre overpriced here.
Im excited :p lol finally can use some of that money for fun. Thing that I read about the new 5.0's is the manual trannies are made in china, is this true? Been hearing issues and thats keeping me from one.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Upr front k member/coilovers and then on3 turbo kit? Route I've decided to take with a stock j modded auto and the stock internals till she blows. Coming spring 2014 Lol. But in all seriousness take a look at the turbo. They do better with an auto but plenty of them on manuals too.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo's more expensive and harder to install. Unless its on3 and I dont trust on3, to many horror stories. To much $$$ to spend on something that might work and fit
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Upr front k member/coilovers and then on3 turbo kit? Route I've decided to take with a stock j modded auto and the stock internals till she blows. Coming spring 2014 Lol. But in all seriousness take a look at the turbo. They do better with an auto but plenty of them on manuals too.
I want a 04 mach1 comp orange with a auto and 0n3 turbo soooooooooo much

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion