Top end kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Top end kit

Looking to put a top end kit in my 91 and I have always loved trickflow but its expensive.i also looked into elderbrock because of the price difference.will I get about the same results as trickflow?
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Nope, the Trickflow is the better one easily. However, you can proably piece together a kit for less money or just buy a supercharger for less overall. If I could do it all over again with my 5.0 I would have just blown it. You'll get around 400 to the wheels with a S trim on a stock motor/bolt ons, you will not get more than 300-325whp with the best HCI. You need a tune either way.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you get trickflow heads/intake..need tune and bigger injectors?
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have priced it out by piece and was actually little more.yes it definitely would need a tune after.so you think it would need bigger injectors?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For the HCI you'll be good with 24s and you should upgrade the Fox fuel pump no matter what you are doing.

And by piece it together I don't mean buy everything new. Maybe the heads but you can get everything secondhand in really good shape on the Corral or other forum classifieds. I built an entire motor that made 300whp for what the TFS kit would cost alone going this route.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Whenever I get around to this ill need the bigger injectors then. Larger fuel pump wondering if that's issue I have had whole time had car. If try to get into sometimes, more than not, starts I guess could say spitting. By seat of pants feels like getting fuel but not getting all way through or breathing issue. Had the car about 3yrs. Replaced pump..autozone special think was 170 lph could be wrong. Stock intake, no cai, headers glass packs. Fuel filter was changed as well. I used to suspect maf, because we found that unplugged from tree and plugged up. I've never changed dist, or coil. Haven't tested any yet no volt meter. Normal driving fine. Id say 3k and above when starts. I run 89 octane. Sorry not trying to hijack
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What about bigger throttle body may help.why the bigger pump?plans for building in future?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When money is there that probably was going to be next..larger throttle body, new maf and cai. But if I don't have intake I don't think those will make that big of difference. No huge plans. Going to keep na mo interest in super or turbocharging or nos lol. Id be happy with 300-400. More than that major traction issues. Of course suspension would help too . This will be neverending for me. Haven't done vast majority of work myself so put probably 5k into so far. I suspect this was either sitting in field or junkyard that someone upgraded their car and put old crap parts in this to get it to run and sell to dealer. I'm just judging by rust. Framerot in schocktower, hole in trunk, small hole passenger side on floor in front of door along wall. Frame in general looks rusty. I just saw behind my rear drivers tire that's rotting out. Fenders are only bolted along hood..door jam and underneath rotted and gone. Ya its rough. Everyone in existance including mechanic told me to get rid of. I'm stubborn I wont. To much money into. Don't think want to waste money though see if frame can be fixed and paint though. Just keep improving. Pray doesn't snap in half and get a roller when I'm rich lol. As far as selling anyone looking at it would try to way low ball me and not having that. I've replaced..fuel pump filter and tank, trans mount, water pump, ball joints, valve cover and upper and lower intake gaskets, radiator, hoses, spark plugs, wires 3rd cylander wire again few weeks ago, distributor rotor 3 times I think, cap twice, front brakes, thermostat, fixed gas leak at rear, fixed leak by timing plate?, tires..need again. Picked up nail had rope in for long time till finally gave out put back on one of my bad tires, battery, altetnator I think? Uh I think that's it. My wipers don't work bad motor, rear schocks are pretty much shot. As far as cosmetics primer grey..idiot who had before oversprayed over a lot, used masking tape to mask so still stuck on some trim which is only on half of car, can't lock only ignition key, shifter bezel not all there or attached all way..gets hot in cabin lol. Armrest broken a little, seat a little torqued. But I love it lol. Sorry long post I get carried away and babble.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

After I get my jeep here ill start saving and maybe be more inclined to do work self. If I mess up have jeep.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ya and I put in a ram clutch kit and used trans off mech how could I forget that.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Wow lots of new parts but sounds like need lots more.the thing is you get attached to it one you start doing things to them.spunds like to me as hard as it is to get rid of it or strip it and make drag care if the frame hold up ; )
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Id love to try to drag or race. Dream . Ya needs more work lol. Don't know if ill do rear susp and brakes next or the tb, cai intake deal. Prob should have maf, tps, dist and coil tested first.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I ran mine at a dragstrip once when I first got it at all stock and it took me all day to get the rubber off the bottom of the car.ill run it one more time when I get all the work done that I want

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion