To GT or not to GT.. that is the question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To GT or not to GT.. that is the question

Ok, this isn't intended to be a V6 verses GT thread, I know that's been done. I just want to share my situation and hear your thoughts.

I have wanted another Mustang since about a year ago. I sold my 03 Mach 1 in 2011 and bought a Nissan Altima. I wasn't happy with it because it's just not me. However I wasn't ready to take a big bath on trading in on a 35K GT Premium at the time. Recently I was informed the V6 had 305 hp and was 8K cheaper and that got me thinking again. So after running the numbers I figured I could get away with a V6 premium. I settled on a Grabber Blue Auto Premium with louvers and scoops that I had to order. So I added in 3.31 gears, GT Spoiler and Ford Shelby racing stripes and Shelby spoiler.

That put me around 26,500 + TTL. Now I don't care too much for the stock wheels though I can live with them if I have the pockets powder coated black. I found a semi new set of GT Premiums on CL for $800 close by. That would get me up in the $27300 range to get it the way I want.

Today I ran across a 2013 GB GT Premium Auto with back up camera, pony package and 7K miles for $28K at a dealership. The spoiler is close enough to the Shelby I could live with it and I would only need to add the Shelby stripes. The dealer would charge around $800 for the Ford Stripes installed.

I'm torn because for me, a 2013 with 7k miles is practically new. But I didn't use all the 325 HP the Mach 1 had all that much so I doubt I would use the 440 the GT has all that much. With gas and insurance I just don't know. This would be a no brainer if the V6 was a dog. But it's not. With the gears it will have and the bama tune I'll put in I think it will have enough pep for me. So I guess I can't decide on buying the GT just to have the GT.. and throw reason out the door...

Thoughts?
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Gt!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

so I had a 2011 v6base and I now have a 2012 Gt Premium. two things I loved about the v6: The gas mileage and how peppy it was! now for the Gt. I love my gt because of the sound, the torque and the quickness. if money isn't really an issue, I'd personally go with the Gt because I mean, who doesn't love that V8 sound? haha probably no help whatsoever but here ya go. lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get the GT

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Look for a nice used 2011-2012 gt. you can find a great low millage premium with every option for low to mid 20's if you search
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Look for a nice used 2011-2012 gt. you can find a great low millage premium with every option for low to mid 20's if you search
Problem with that plan is I love the 2013-14 tail lights too much.
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post

Yes I completely agree there buy the raxiom ones arnt bad and the engine is well worth it. It is just one option to consider though. Here are the raxiom lights on my car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-580220248.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	124601
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007

Well if your not going to use all 400+ HP then I'd shoot for the V6. Will save you $$$ in the short run and the long run. Excellent fuel economy and very quick with just a few simple bolt-ons. But the decision is ultimately up to you. Choose what makes you happy. Most people are just going to say "get the GT" without even reading your intentions. But really I think you'd be fine with the power the V6 has according to what you stated. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Well if your not going to use all 400+ HP then I'd shoot for the V6. Will save you $$$ in the short run and the long run. Excellent fuel economy and very quick with just a few simple bolt-ons. But the decision is ultimately up to you. Choose what makes you happy. Most people are just going to say "get the GT" without even reading your intentions. But really I think you'd be fine with the power the V6 has according to what you stated. Good luck.
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Yes I completely agree there buy the raxiom ones arnt bad and the engine is well worth it. It is just one option to consider though. Here are the raxiom lights on my car.
Cool! Never seen those before
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you like to just cruise and that's about it when it comes to owner a Mustang, then the V6 is a perfect car for you.

But if you love how a big block sounds then go with a GT. I own a Sixxer and I'm perfectly happy with it. But no matter how much money I dump into it, I will never be able to replicate that sound.

If later down the road you regret not going with a GT, the money you save on the Sixxer can be put toward a Supercharger which will give you all the power you would want in a Base GT
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have each, but if I could only have one it would be the V6. Great fuel mileage, sufficient power, looks the same with the hood down and much lower insurance premiums. When I bought my GT, my insurance went up $600/year and I'm not a kid anymore.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a V6 and I love it. I couldn't see spending the extra 8k on a GT. But I wouldn't buy a GT Base either. That's like buying a new corvette and getting it bare bones. The options down the road will help you when you decide to sell it.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Normally I would say get he gt, but it sounds like you would be best off with the v6. BUT if you plan on modding the v6, don't waste your time, just get the gt and not have to worry about adding mods that could void the warranty, plus you get the nice v8 sound
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #14

Region: New York
Man I'm in the same boat. I have a 2000 gt I'm thinking about selling. Not sure exactly the hp but its something around 260. But the newer V6 have 305. Sure everyone loves the v8 but the v6 seems to save the most money all around. How much cheaper is the insurance on a v6 vs v8?
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just to play devils advocate...

I have a 2012GT and I'm 24. I pay $73/month for full coverage through usaa and my car gets awesome gas mileage for a big v8. I wouldn't change it for the world. My first car ever was a v6 Grand Prix and that will be the last v6 I own lol. Since then I've gotten 3 v8s and still have them all. I don't know about you, but the mod bug would bite me in a v6 and I would be feelin the regret.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3751181317.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	124629  
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Just to play devils advocate...

I have a 2012GT and I'm 24. I pay $73/month for full coverage through usaa and my car gets awesome gas mileage for a big v8. I wouldn't change it for the world. My first car ever was a v6 Grand Prix and that will be the last v6 I own lol. Since then I've gotten 3 v8s and still have them all. I don't know about you, but the mod bug would bite me in a v6 and I would be feelin the regret.
I've done the mod route, probably won't do that.. Unless the used dealer comes down more I think I'll stick with the V6. I will be driving a lot so the gas mileage is important
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've done the mod route, probably won't do that.. Unless the used dealer comes down more I think I'll stick with the V6. I will be driving a lot so the gas mileage is important
Don't want to start a argument or be a dick but if gas millage is your primary concern why buy a mustang in the first place?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't want to start a argument or be a dick but if gas millage is your primary concern why buy a mustang in the first place?
It's not my primary concern
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Ok, this isn't intended to be a V6 verses GT thread, I know that's been done. I just want to share my situation and hear your thoughts.

I have wanted another Mustang since about a year ago. I sold my 03 Mach 1 in 2011 and bought a Nissan Altima. I wasn't happy with it because it's just not me. However I wasn't ready to take a big bath on trading in on a 35K GT Premium at the time. Recently I was informed the V6 had 305 hp and was 8K cheaper and that got me thinking again. So after running the numbers I figured I could get away with a V6 premium. I settled on a Grabber Blue Auto Premium with louvers and scoops that I had to order. So I added in 3.31 gears, GT Spoiler and Ford Shelby racing stripes and Shelby spoiler.

That put me around 26,500 + TTL. Now I don't care too much for the stock wheels though I can live with them if I have the pockets powder coated black. I found a semi new set of GT Premiums on CL for $800 close by. That would get me up in the $27300 range to get it the way I want.

Today I ran across a 2013 GB GT Premium Auto with back up camera, pony package and 7K miles for $28K at a dealership. The spoiler is close enough to the Shelby I could live with it and I would only need to add the Shelby stripes. The dealer would charge around $800 for the Ford Stripes installed.

I'm torn because for me, a 2013 with 7k miles is practically new. But I didn't use all the 325 HP the Mach 1 had all that much so I doubt I would use the 440 the GT has all that much. With gas and insurance I just don't know. This would be a no brainer if the V6 was a dog. But it's not. With the gears it will have and the bama tune I'll put in I think it will have enough pep for me. So I guess I can't decide on buying the GT just to have the GT.. and throw reason out the door...

Thoughts?
I laugh every time someone uses the word PEP when talking about the 11 plus V6 models. They have 305 HP, run between 13.9 to 14.1 seconds 1/4 mile bone stock with crappy 2:73 gears and within 2 tenths second time of 2010 and under Gt's. I have never heard of any year GT being referred to as having enough PEP however the 11 plus v6 are faster than the early 2000 GT's yet the 11 plus v6 models have some pep. Lol. They have more than some pep. A ford Focus has some pep, an 11 plus V6 mustangs are quick

OP if you didn't use all your 325 HP in your Mach 1 why are you asking if you should by a 420 HP car? If you even have to ask about buying the GT, over your V6 then you already know the answer. You and vast majority of people don't need a 420 HP car yet they still buy a car that can do things that people will never, ever use or do.

OP , the real question for you is. Should I spend more money to get a 5.0 and get rid of your v6 so your co workers, friends and strangers don't break your balls about buying a v6 mustang. Its abut giving into pressure of people, there comments and facial expressions when you tell them you have a mustang and its a V6.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said oh, you have a mustang. Its the V8 right? Why did you get the V6 model in a mustang. I would have enough money to buy a 5.0. I love the look on peoples faces when telling them I have a v6 model. I could tell them my v6 model has 900 HP but they would say, yeah but its a v6, its no V8. Lol.

OP, you fall into the peer pressure 5.0 category that its not a V8 so its not a real performance car.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's not my primary concern
Ok well it seems to me that's you are having to talk yourself out of a gt and into a v6.... V6 mustangs are great cars and for some they truly are the better choice for what that particular person is looking for in a vehicle but if you have to talk yourself out of a gt would you ever really be happy with the V6?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok well it seems to me that's you are having to talk yourself out of a gt and into a v6.... V6 mustangs are great cars and for some they truly are the better choice for what that particular person is looking for in a vehicle but if you have to talk yourself out of a gt would you ever really be happy with the V6?
Exactly. The OP seems to be trying to convince themselves that they don't need or ever use a 420 HP car therefore should they keep my V6 model. The OP should get the GT because I believe the 5.0 emblem is important to the OP and is tired of getting there chops busted about having a V6 model..
Old 08-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Exactly. The OP seems to be trying to convince themselves that they don't need or ever use a 420 HP car therefore should they keep my V6 model. The OP should get the GT because I believe the 5.0 emblem is important to the OP and is tired of getting there chops busted about having a V6 model..
Well there is absolutely nothing wrong with the V6 but you shouldn't have to talk yourself into the car. Just buy the one you want and be done. You may not get the 13-14 gt but a 5.0 gt is a 5.0 gt....
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well there is absolutely nothing wrong with the V6 but you shouldn't have to talk yourself into the car. Just buy the one you want and be done. You may not get the 13-14 gt but a 5.0 gt is a 5.0 gt....
Nothing wrong with the V6 at all. A lot of performance for under 23k.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I laugh every time someone uses the word PEP when talking about the 11 plus V6 models. They have 305 HP, run between 13.9 to 14.1 seconds 1/4 mile bone stock with crappy 2:73 gears and within 2 tenths second time of 2010 and under Gt's. I have never heard of any year GT being referred to as having enough PEP however the 11 plus v6 are faster than the early 2000 GT's yet the 11 plus v6 models have some pep. Lol. They have more than some pep. A ford Focus has some pep, an 11 plus V6 mustangs are quick

OP if you didn't use all your 325 HP in your Mach 1 why are you asking if you should by a 420 HP car? If you even have to ask about buying the GT, over your V6 then you already know the answer. You and vast majority of people don't need a 420 HP car yet they still buy a car that can do things that people will never, ever use or do.

OP , the real question for you is. Should I spend more money to get a 5.0 and get rid of your v6 so your co workers, friends and strangers don't break your balls about buying a v6 mustang. Its abut giving into pressure of people, there comments and facial expressions when you tell them you have a mustang and its a V6.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said oh, you have a mustang. Its the V8 right? Why did you get the V6 model in a mustang. I would have enough money to buy a 5.0. I love the look on peoples faces when telling them I have a v6 model. I could tell them my v6 model has 900 HP but they would say, yeah but its a v6, its no V8. Lol.

OP, you fall into the peer pressure 5.0 category that its not a V8 so its not a real performance car.

I appreciate your candor. You may be right. Sorry I used the word Pep when referring to the V6. It is fast.
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think I'm almost trying to talk myself out of the V6. I think I would be happy with the V6. If it were a matter of 25K V6 vs 34K GT I think I wouldn't consider the GT just because of the initial price + Gas + Ins but because the GT is so close in price to the V6, it's giving me some second thoughts..
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I appreciate your candor. You may be right. Sorry I used the word Pep when referring to the V6. It is fast.
Lol. I was just laughing about the word pep. Many have said that word long before you bro. Lol. I didn't mean to come off like a jerk. We all need to be happy with our rides and if a higher level performance vehicle makes you more happy, go get it bro.

I was at the American Muscle show just last week and there were amazing cars. I was able to get my car into the show and with no embellishment out of the 1400 mustangs , I bet there was no more than twenty V6 models including my own V6. My schwantz felt like one inch big compared to all the big V8's there and normally I'm pushing 3 full inches. Lmao! I take a verbal a$$ whooping daily from my co workers about owning a V6 mustang. I just smile and let it go in one ear and out the other.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote:

I think I'm almost trying to talk myself out of the V6. I think I would be happy with the V6. If it were a matter of 25K V6 vs 34K GT I think I wouldn't consider the GT just because of the initial price + Gas + Ins but because the GT is so close in price to the V6, it's giving me some second thoughts..
For the same price, I would of bought the 5.0 hands down. When I bought my 11 V6 I would of loved the 5.0 but there was just 7,500 reasons why I only chose to buy the V6. The reasons was 7,500 dollar difference. LMAO. If I could of paid 22,500 for an 11 5.0 new, there wouldn't be anything to think about. 5.0 all the way if its the same price bro.. I just wasn't willing to pay that kind of extra money for a bare bones, base model V8 that had cloth seats. Lol
Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Road Trip!

IMO if u have kids or something like that you know your gonna be paying a long time, get the v6. But if your just gonna pay it, not look back, n go crazy n have fun get the GT
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Btw would he able to turbo the v6 with the price difference? Lol
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well there you go, the V6 is a great car and you will be very pleased with it. Anyway you slice it you are buying a mustang and welcome to the family once you do
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
IMO if u have kids or something like that you know your gonna be paying a long time, get the v6. But if your just gonna pay it, not look back, n go crazy n have fun get the GT
Hey I have kids. 5 to be exact and I wouldnt buy a V6 if im gonna buy a stang it is gonna have to be a V8. But OP I can see why you would want to buy a V6.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
Road Trip!

I have no kids but I love my v8 too! Haha
Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

OP, if asked a serious question, why do you want to get rid of your V6 and get the V8? What is wrong with your premium V6? What will you do different with the 5.0 that you haven't been doing with your V6 model. Since you never used more than 325 horses what do you plan to do with 420 HP?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I can tell you from experience you will be much happier with the GT. I purchased a 2011 V6 knowing well that it had more power than my 04 GT. After six months, I traded that Pony in for a GT...Just go with the GT you won't look back, you will be much happier. More options for modding, etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
OP, if asked a serious question, why do you want to get rid of your V6 and get the V8? What is wrong with your premium V6? What will you do different with the 5.0 that you haven't been doing with your V6 model. Since you never used more than 325 horses what do you plan to do with 420 HP?
OP doesn't have a mustang. He is asking whether or not he should get the V6/GT. And it sounds like he has his mind set on the V6. You will be very happy with it. Great looking brand new fast car for a bargain.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd
I can tell you from experience you will be much happier with the GT. I purchased a 2011 V6 knowing well that it had more power than my 04 GT. After six months, I traded that Pony in for a GT...Just go with the GT you won't look back, you will be much happier. More options for modding, etc.
This is one thing I don't understand. How do you make a huge investment on a car and not be 100% satisfied with what you are receiving? That is a terrible financial decision. When I bought my V6 I knew exactly what I was getting and 2 1/2 years later I am still 100% satisfied. I see a bunch of people on this forum trading in their 3.7 for a 5.0 after a short amount of time. Know what you're getting and if you're not 100% satisfied, don't make the investment.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
OP doesn't have a mustang. He is asking whether or not he should get the V6/GT. And it sounds like he has his mind set on the V6. You will be very happy with it. Great looking brand new fast car for a bargain.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

This is one thing I don't understand. How do you make a huge investment on a car and not be 100% satisfied with what you are receiving? That is a terrible financial decision. When I bought my V6 I knew exactly what I was getting and 2 1/2 years later I am still 100% satisfied. I see a bunch of people on this forum trading in their 3.7 for a 5.0 after a short amount of time. Know what you're getting and if you're not 100% satisfied, don't make the investment.
I was 100% satisfied, but I decided to go another route. So I traded in. I did not lose any value on my trade in. I simply traded in the V6 and made another investment, which I am much happier with and getting bigger gains. IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion