Auto or manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Auto or manual

No this is not me asking which is better. So don't tell me to use the search button. No hating towards each other. I'm just gonna tell a short story and see where it goes from here.

So waiting outside the classroom a guy is saying he just got his motor out in his car or truck and said he had just put an automatic tranny in it, this motor is NA so no boost. Another kid says that that auto will not last that you hit that auto 10-12lbs of boost and it ain't gonna last. And said to put a Tremec 5 speed.

The kid is actually pretty smart but I mean all the drag cars are auto. Now maybe he thought the particular one wouldn't hold up.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Very confusing. So the guy removed his motor in his car or his truck? And he doesn't have a supercharger/turbo but he can't decide whether to put a auto or manual because the auto might not be able to handle boost? I'm lost there

Now typically automatic transmissions last much longer than manuals simply because a automatic transmission shifts perfect every time. This creates alot less heat and the clutches in a auto wear very slowly when the Trans is kept cool. A manual transmission has moving parts controlled by the driver and poor shifting and clutch wear can hurt your manual. Also, the internal parts of a manual Trans will brake under higher HP such as the input/output shafts. The tremec is a good transmission and if it is built with a good aftermarket clutch and flywheel it will be more than the car/truck it's going into can handle.

Another thing, drag cars being autos is for two main reasons. Number one is because you can put a stall converter in a auto and get very quick launches. Number two is because automatics shift precisely and much quicker than the average driver can shift a manual transmission. Less time launching and less time shifting equals a faster ET.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It really depends on the transmission. If its a Ford 4r70w it'll hold 500ft lbs no problem. Motor will blow before the trans does unless something is wrong with it. If its a Dodge 47xxx whatever transmission it'll **** its internals all over the pavement if you look at it the wrong way. They aren't all created equally.

Also if "smart kid" has no idea what else is done to the car or what the transmission is then just saying "10-12 psi" is pretty dumb. Hell even a general statement like that is pretty stupid honestly. Sounds like some ricer.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah he don't know what's all done but it's not like its a straight built easy. And no the guy was just saying he has a new motor and he switched it to auto.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said more info needed. Could be a good factory trans, could be a mid 90s dodge that they built with spit and duct tape.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm not trying to figure anything out just wanted to share

Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Now typically automatic transmissions last much longer than manuals simply because a automatic transmission shifts perfect every time. This creates alot less heat and the clutches in a auto wear very slowly when the Trans is kept cool.
actually automatic transmissions generate a lot of heat, which is why they come from the factory with an oil cooler, such as it is. part of the issue is the torque converter isnt as efficient as a clutch. it beats the heck out of the fluid, and the higher the stall speed, the more heat is generated.

Quote:
Another thing, drag cars being autos is for two main reasons. Number one is because you can put a stall converter in a auto and get very quick launches. Number two is because automatics shift precisely and much quicker than the average driver can shift a manual transmission. Less time launching and less time shifting equals a faster ET.
with a clutch you can vary the engine rpm at which you launch the car, unlike an automatic where the torque converter has to reach its stall speed before it starts letting power to the transmission. second automatics dont shift as precisely as you think they do, at least not without a fair amount of modification. and the quicker an auto trans shifts, the harder it shifts. and while that is good for the trans, it is just as hard on parts as dumping the clutch on a manual trans.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually automatic transmissions generate a lot of heat, which is why they come from the factory with an oil cooler, such as it is. part of the issue is the torque converter isnt as efficient as a clutch. it beats the heck out of the fluid, and the higher the stall speed, the more heat is generated.

with a clutch you can vary the engine rpm at which you launch the car, unlike an automatic where the torque converter has to reach its stall speed before it starts letting power to the transmission. second automatics dont shift as precisely as you think they do, at least not without a fair amount of modification. and the quicker an auto trans shifts, the harder it shifts. and while that is good for the trans, it is just as hard on parts as dumping the clutch on a manual trans.
1st paragraph - True but a good triple disc stall with a fatass cooler mounted in the front bumper like a B&M will last a good long time. Much longer than a clutch will at a higher power level. That is another reason a lot of guys who drag race go auto, reliability.

2nd paragraph - Nobody who seriously drag races their auto isn't going armed without a transbrake. Come off the line at whatever RPM is optimal for what you are doing. As far as shifting, well yeah a stock slushbox is not going to shift nearly as fast as a built trans with an aftermarket/modified valve body. However this is not going to be the case for someone with a built trans who has the shift points dialed in via the EEC, or just go with a manual valve body for full control over the shifts. And yes, the shifts can get pretty agressive but in general an automatic is going to be much easier on the frame of the car.

In the end there really is no comparison for straight line racing, I've seen cars making over 100whp less in the auto win at the 1/4 track over their stick counterparts. You launch harder, shift faster and overall will be more reliable than a stick. Does that mean that a stalled/built auto is better for joe schmoe in a street car? That's all a matter of personal preference. Joe is going to win a lot more light to light races in the auto that's for sure but won't be able to go around corners near as well which is a big fun factor on the street IMO.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #9

Region: Europe
I'm also wondering what would be better to drive? I learned driving with manual trans. but now that I'm looking around for a 99-04 GT, I realized that it's pretty hard to find a manual one and need to get what's available (automatic).

You guys know how many gears an automatic 99-04 GT have?
Guess automatic cars last longer but might have higher mileage since most of them only have 4 gears?
DirtyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

4 speed auto you can find them just gotta be patient.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyEye View Post
I'm also wondering what would be better to drive? I learned driving with manual trans. but now that I'm looking around for a 99-04 GT, I realized that it's pretty hard to find a manual one and need to get what's available (automatic).

You guys know how many gears an automatic 99-04 GT have?
Guess automatic cars last longer but might have higher mileage since most of them only have 4 gears?
which is better to drive really depends on you and you circumstances. for instance if you live in the city, then perhaps the automatic is best as you are not constantly rowing gears, unless you enjoy doing that sort of thing. if you live in a mountainous area, or where the roads are quite twisty, then a manual is better as you can select your gear more easily.

if you want a manual trans GT, come down here to tucson, most of the ones i see for sale are manual trans, especially the convertibles.

and mileage on the clock isnt about the number of gears a transmission has, but rather how much the car is driven.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have both. Love them both. Only I can make my 5 speed really scream. More so than the auto.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion