Need some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need some help

Does anyone here have a template for mounting a spoiler for a 2010-2014 mustang?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm assuming this is for the GT500 spoiler, right? It's not too hard to do but takes a little engineering, patience, and a good ability to read a tape measure. Go to Lowe's, Autozone, or where ever and get four M6 x 50 long hex head screws (they should come 4/bag). Cover the back six inches or so of your trunk lid with masking tape to prevent damage. Insert the screws into the four holes in the spoiler. Now set it screws/down on your trunk so the screw heads are flat on the trunk. Measure the distance from the outer screws to the edge of your trunk lid on each side and make sure the distance is the same. Mark that distance with a Sharpie. Now measure the screw to the back edge of the spoiler and repeat that distance forward from the rear edge of the trunklid. The trailing edge of the spoiler mating surface should align with the back of the trunklid now. Mark the outline of each of the four screw heads on the trunklid. Put an X in the middle of each of those hex marks and that is where you need to drill your holes.

Now, the fun has just started. The holes need to be about 10mm/3/8" so you don't have an alignment problem. Also you will need a 7/8" hole saw to cut through the stiffeners inside the trunk. If you don't do this the 20mm screws will not be long enough and will crush the stiffeners when you tighten them down. Be sure to get extra large flat washers.

If you can find M6 x 40mm studs, this will be a bit more accurate. You will still have to hole cut the stiffeners. If you can look inside someone's trunk who has a spoiler, you can see to what I am referring.

When you get all the holes drilled/cut you are ready to mount. Test fit it too make sure of your alignment. Remove all the masking tape. If it does not already have it, apply the 3M double-sided pressure sensitive tape to the outside edges of the spoiler contact surface. You can get this at Autozone. Use the long screws in the outer holes to align the spoiler. This way you can lift it to remove the backing tape without losing your alignment. Remove the backing tape and push the spoiler down on the surface and replace the long screws with M6x20 screws (or M6 nuts if you were able to find studs.

Good luck.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Does anyone here have a template for mounting a spoiler for a 2010-2014 mustang?
I have to ask. Do you currently have a spoiler that you are trying to swap or you don't and need to drill holes in your trunk lid for one
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have to ask. Do you currently have a spoiler that you are trying to swap or you don't and need to drill holes in your trunk lid for one

He posted this yesterday:

Just got a OEM gt500 (still in the package) spoiler painted black for $100! Only thing I need is hardware because it didn't come with it. Any of you guys know where to get the hardware?!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The screw studs should already be in it. The only thing he should need is 3M tape, unless I'm missing somethng
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The screw studs should already be in it. The only thing he should need is 3M tape, unless I'm missing somethng

Like he said, it didn't come with any hardware or template and he has a spoiler delete.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post

Like he said, it didn't come with any hardware or template and he has a spoiler delete.
Yeah I basically shot myself in the foot in 3 areas buying the spoiler I did but mainly because my car was spoiler delete from factory. Another thing is that the gt500 spoiler has foam padding on the underside where it bolts down. It's not adhesive at all. Am I suppose to stick adhesive to that or inside of it? Or will the foam be enough?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I'm assuming this is for the GT500 spoiler, right? It's not too hard to do but takes a little engineering, patience, and a good ability to read a tape measure. Go to Lowe's, Autozone, or where ever and get four M6 x 50 long hex head screws (they should come 4/bag). Cover the back six inches or so of your trunk lid with masking tape to prevent damage. Insert the screws into the four holes in the spoiler. Now set it screws/down on your trunk so the screw heads are flat on the trunk. Measure the distance from the outer screws to the edge of your trunk lid on each side and make sure the distance is the same. Mark that distance with a Sharpie. Now measure the screw to the back edge of the spoiler and repeat that distance forward from the rear edge of the trunklid. The trailing edge of the spoiler mating surface should align with the back of the trunklid now. Mark the outline of each of the four screw heads on the trunklid. Put an X in the middle of each of those hex marks and that is where you need to drill your holes.

Now, the fun has just started. The holes need to be about 10mm/3/8" so you don't have an alignment problem. Also you will need a 7/8" hole saw to cut through the stiffeners inside the trunk. If you don't do this the 20mm screws will not be long enough and will crush the stiffeners when you tighten them down. Be sure to get extra large flat washers.

If you can find M6 x 40mm studs, this will be a bit more accurate. You will still have to hole cut the stiffeners. If you can look inside someone's trunk who has a spoiler, you can see to what I am referring.

When you get all the holes drilled/cut you are ready to mount. Test fit it too make sure of your alignment. Remove all the masking tape. If it does not already have it, apply the 3M double-sided pressure sensitive tape to the outside edges of the spoiler contact surface. You can get this at Autozone. Use the long screws in the outer holes to align the spoiler. This way you can lift it to remove the backing tape without losing your alignment. Remove the backing tape and push the spoiler down on the surface and replace the long screws with M6x20 screws (or M6 nuts if you were able to find studs.

Good luck.
Okay first of all I really appreciate you typing all of that out! What you are saying basically is that I can just bolt in on from underneath and I don't need studs basically? I had figured I would not have too much of an issue making the template myself but I would have rather just gotten one from somewhere if at all possible. I highly doubt I will be able to find studs like that anywhere without special ordering them but its worth a shot.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I highly doubt I will be able to find studs like that anywhere without special ordering them but its worth a shot.

I never looked for them when I did mine, but after I finished, I wish I would have looked. SAE studs are common so M6 studs shouldn't be to hard to find, especially since all cars are now metric.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I've been thinking about it alot, and I decided I wanted to paint the spoiler white and have it installed at a local ford dealer. I'd rather it be their fault if something happens. Also, should I just buy the studs online and wait for them to arrive in the mail?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good news!

Took the spoiler to a local ford dealer and repaint of the spoiler with instillation is $200 dead even! Looks like I'm getting it still $30 less than the fake gt500 spoiler from AM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion