What are your steps to restore performance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What are your steps to restore performance?

I bought my 05 stang from my dad and his wife.

My dad is as into cars as me(probably more) but the car was his wifes, that had a 120 mile commute every day.

I let my dad drive it again, for the first time in 8 months, and he noticed he can't spin the tires from a stop like he used to.

My dad has a chrysler 300 with the hemi in it on his car lot, and the way that car fishtails and spins tires was shell shock to me!

Anyway, it got me wondering. My mustang has 182k miles on it(yes, 120 mile commute 5 days a week would do that to it), BUT a low mileage motor was put into it around 160k.

I've only cleaned the throttle body, and done regular tune ups(air filter, oil change/filter, fuel filter, spark plugs).

She has never done any maintenance under the hood besides regular tune ups, so what parts would get dirty enough to begin to hold the car back over time?
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by qccoles View Post
I bought my 05 stang from my dad and his wife.

My dad is as into cars as me(probably more) but the car was his wifes, that had a 120 mile commute every day.

I let my dad drive it again, for the first time in 8 months, and he noticed he can't spin the tires from a stop like he used to.

My dad has a chrysler 300 with the hemi in it on his car lot, and the way that car fishtails and spins tires was shell shock to me!

Anyway, it got me wondering. My mustang has 182k miles on it(yes, 120 mile commute 5 days a week would do that to it), BUT a low mileage motor was put into it around 160k.

I've only cleaned the throttle body, and done regular tune ups(air filter, oil change/filter, fuel filter, spark plugs).

She has never done any maintenance under the hood besides regular tune ups, so what parts would get dirty enough to begin to hold the car back over time?
Manual or auto?
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Manual or auto?
Auto, sadly.
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion