Dyno questions! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
Dyno questions!

So I have a set of 4.10 gears I'm waiting to install. I also have an SCT tuner.
Everybody says that you should get it dyno'd for best performance.
So this leads me to a couple of questions.
(If I sound like a n00b forgive me I really don't know):

•so the dyno guys actually make a custom tune for you right then and there?
•are they able to save said tune on my SCT?
•what's the average price for a dyno run?
•do they run your car once or more than once?
•can they really blow your motor while on the dyno?
•what's the difference between SAE and STD?
•does the graph tell you where (rpm) you should shift?
•what are some terms I should know before I go in so these people don't think I'm an idiot and try to scam me/say false things?
•what constitutes a good "dynoer" (tuner? Lol)
•I get the sheet now what?
-what do these numbers tell me? Besides hp n tq of course
-how can I use this to my advantage if I were to go to a track or course?

After the the gears install that's gonna be it for my bolt ons for a while that's why I'm thinking about going. But I have never done one or seen one that wasn't on YouTube.

I would like to get as many answers as I can and would also appreciate a y more tips you guys have as well as dyno anecdotes (good and bad lol)

Thanks!
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
So I have a set of 4.10 gears I'm waiting to install. I also have an SCT tuner.
Everybody says that you should get it dyno'd for best performance.
So this leads me to a couple of questions.
(If I sound like a n00b forgive me I really don't know):

•so the dyno guys actually make a custom tune for you right then and there?
•are they able to save said tune on my SCT?
•what's the average price for a dyno run?
•do they run your car once or more than once?
•can they really blow your motor while on the dyno?
•what's the difference between SAE and STD?
•does the graph tell you where (rpm) you should shift?
•what are some terms I should know before I go in so these people don't think I'm an idiot and try to scam me/say false things?
•what constitutes a good "dynoer" (tuner? Lol)
•I get the sheet now what?
-what do these numbers tell me? Besides hp n tq of course
-how can I use this to my advantage if I were to go to a track or course?

After the the gears install that's gonna be it for my bolt ons for a while that's why I'm thinking about going. But I have never done one or seen one that wasn't on YouTube.

I would like to get as many answers as I can and would also appreciate a y more tips you guys have as well as dyno anecdotes (good and bad lol)

Thanks!
-Yes they give you a custom tune much better than a mail order.
-Depends on your tuner on how many tunes you can save but idk why you'd still want the other tunes when you have a good custom one.
-Depends where you go, just go to a good certified one and itll be around the $500 range.
-Yes.
-There is a possibility but the point of running the dyno is to safely monitor the car so most likely no.
-"What this all means is that "Standard" will give you 2.6 percent better numbers (very popular for the import crowd). The example the magazine gave was a Vette making 412 (SAE corrected hp). With the Standard correction it made 423. All that you will have to do is multiply your "Standard rwhp" by .974 This should equal SAE (the one everyone uses). Up here in the great white North (Washington) the temps are in the 40-50 degree area, along with 29.9-30 in/hg. So, our numbers are actually corrected down from what it made at the rear. Usually, 96-97 percent of actual posted numbers. If you dyno when it's a hotter temp or higher altitudes the numbers will usually correct up to equal the desired temp, humidity and pressure of the correction factor. "
-know your mods, kind of tune you want, and a fair price range.
-just look around for a quality tuning shop and make sure theyre certified in what theyre doing.
-you should get it right then and there once they print it off.
-max hp/tq at what rpm
-the tune? It will help your car run to its full potential much safer, the sheets? Just bragging rights.
Id suggest just ask around and see what shops are good in your area, imo its worth going a little farther to someone with a good reputation and experience. Also research! Most of these answers could be found if you search lol. If you cant find an answer after researching feel free to ask. Also Id get all the mods I was planning on doing first and installed before tuning, its not cheap. Hope this helps!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
-Yes they give you a custom tune much better than a mail order.
-Depends on your tuner on how many tunes you can save but idk why you'd still want the other tunes when you have a good custom one.
-Depends where you go, just go to a good certified one and itll be around the $500 range.
-Yes.
-There is a possibility but the point of running the dyno is to safely monitor the car so most likely no.
-"What this all means is that "Standard" will give you 2.6 percent better numbers (very popular for the import crowd). The example the magazine gave was a Vette making 412 (SAE corrected hp). With the Standard correction it made 423. All that you will have to do is multiply your "Standard rwhp" by .974 This should equal SAE (the one everyone uses). Up here in the great white North (Washington) the temps are in the 40-50 degree area, along with 29.9-30 in/hg. So, our numbers are actually corrected down from what it made at the rear. Usually, 96-97 percent of actual posted numbers. If you dyno when it's a hotter temp or higher altitudes the numbers will usually correct up to equal the desired temp, humidity and pressure of the correction factor. "
-know your mods, kind of tune you want, and a fair price range.
-just look around for a quality tuning shop and make sure theyre certified in what theyre doing.
-you should get it right then and there once they print it off.
-max hp/tq at what rpm
-the tune? It will help your car run to its full potential much safer, the sheets? Just bragging rights.
Id suggest just ask around and see what shops are good in your area, imo its worth going a little farther to someone with a good reputation and experience. Also research! Most of these answers could be found if you search lol. If you cant find an answer after researching feel free to ask. Also Id get all the mods I was planning on doing first and installed before tuning, its not cheap. Hope this helps!
I have been talking with some "experienced tuners" and they informed me the best tune you can have is a street tune. Dyno is just for the numbers...They dyno tune their cars to get optimal HP but then they run them on the street/track and tune as they run to get optimal performance out of there cars...All that said, the SCT internet tunes like from AM are really good tunes and there is nothing wrong with using them...
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

I have been talking with some "experienced tuners" and they informed me the best tune you can have is a street tune. Dyno is just for the numbers...They dyno tune their cars to get optimal HP but then they run them on the street/track and tune as they run to get optimal performance out of there cars...All that said, the SCT internet tunes like from AM are really good tunes and there is nothing wrong with using them...
Do you mean the bama street tune?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you mean the bama street tune?
Yes...The Bama street tunes are just fine if you want to get a little more out of your car, and they help tie all of you add on's together. There are a lot of people running the bama tunes with no complaints. It is an inexpensive option for those who don't have the money for the dyno/street tuns. Bama has probably see every combination of add on you can think of, I am sure they have a tune for everything.
There tunes are considered "safe tunes", which means you are less likely to damage your motor with there milder tunes...

This is just my $.02, I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum. All of my experience is with tuning Diesel Trucks. This is my first Mustang in almost 8 years...I do not plan on tuning anything until the middle of next year. I am doing my suspension and Brakes first.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes...The Bama street tunes are just fine if you want to get a little more out of your car, and they help tie all of you add on's together. There are a lot of people running the bama tunes with no complaints. It is an inexpensive option for those who don't have the money for the dyno/street tuns. Bama has probably see every combination of add on you can think of, I am sure they have a tune for everything.
There tunes are considered "safe tunes", which means you are less likely to damage your motor with there milder tunes...

This is just my $.02, I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum. All of my experience is with tuning Diesel Trucks. This is my first Mustang in almost 8 years...I do not plan on tuning anything until the middle of next year. I am doing my suspension and Brakes first.
So how do you think a custom dyno tune would compare to a street tune or the race tune I have on my car right now?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Is it worth the price of taking it when I just have a couple of bolt-ons and get free tunes for life? Or is it worth only when going f/I or going deeper into modding?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how do you think a custom dyno tune would compare to a street tune or the race tune I have on my car right now?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Is it worth the price of taking it when I just have a couple of bolt-ons and get free tunes for life? Or is it worth only when going f/I or going deeper into modding?
I think you are looking at shaving 10th's of a second off 1/4 mile times...If you have your car where you want it mechanically, and go with a Dyno/Street tune. They dyno will help smooth out your torque curve, resulting in better power response.

But with the modes you have I think you will be satisfied with tunes for life...If you go into the motor, cams, heads or whatever that is when you want to get into a serious dyno/street tune.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
So I have a set of 4.10 gears I'm waiting to install. I also have an SCT tuner. Everybody says that you should get it dyno'd for best performance. So this leads me to a couple of questions. (If I sound like a n00b forgive me I really don't know):

Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
I think you are looking at shaving 10th's of a second off 1/4 mile times...If you have your car where you want it mechanically, and go with a Dyno/Street tune. They dyno will help smooth out your torque curve, resulting in better power response.

But with the modes you have I think you will be satisfied with tunes for life...If you go into the motor, cams, heads or whatever that is when you want to get into a serious dyno/street tune.
It sounds like you've already been given a lot of great advice. A dyno tune and a Bama custom tune are going to produce pretty similar gains at your current power level. IMO a dyno tune isn't worth the price with just simple bolt ons and it really isn't if you have plans to further mod your Mustang down the road.

With a Bama custom tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

Since you have plans to further modify your Mustang down the road, the free tunes for life program will be pretty convenient for you!

I hope this helps with your decision. You'll be very happy either way and a Dyno tune is a great option. A dyno tune is just more of an "end game" type tune in my opinion. Once you're completely done modding your Mustang, strap it down to the rollers to get everything dialed in once and for all!

Let me know if you have any questions. You can shoot me a PM or hit up the bama team!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yes bama is about the best when it comes to mail order tunes and using them is good and fine. But for major upgrades such as doing forced induction, cams or other major engine work a custom tune would be best.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion