RWD/V8 swap into a ZX3 Focu - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
RWD/V8 swap into a ZX3 Focu

Hey guys, I am a Mustang guy but really love the MK1 ZX3 Hatchbacks. I currently drive a nicely modified 2000 Mustang GT that was purchased completely stock. I have personally installed full exhaust, intake, throttle body, modified/upgraded Vortech V1 supercharger with air to water intercooler, 3.73 gears, short throw, etc, etc. It makes a little over 420rwhp on 12psi. Unfortunately the motor and drivetrain have reached their power limit. So as I build the new drive train/suspension setup for the Mustang, I am going to be swapping the motor and drivetrain and whatever else I can that comes off the car and use it to build the focus. That is where you all come into play My main concerns are the fitment of the motor/driveline. I am thinking about using a Mustang GT front crossmember and motor mounts and then custom weld in the trans crossmember. I need help with any info you all have on this subject. I would love links to other threads, parts lists, axle lengths, etc. Thanks so much and I cant wait to get the ball rolling and be able to share this project with you all. Here are couple of pics of my car so you can get an idea of what I am going to be working with. Thanks again!
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Cool project! Glad you're keeoing the stang too.
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Check the focus forums for a little more guidance. I know a few companies make direct swap kits for pushrod motors. Not sure if a modular is too wide for the strut towers
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Kugel is the company that makes the kits and they have them with 4 options: pushrod 302/351 or modular 2v/4v. His kits have given me some good ideas but if possible I'd like to make this completely custom. Maybe use a Mustang II front end? Alot of hot rod guys use them for everything so parts are easy to come by. On the Kugel website they say it's 20,000 for a 4000 focus and doing this with all brand new parts (crate motor, new trans, etc). Using used parts and building the motor to model Nick McKinney's recession buster 2v out of a Mark VIII shortblock, mild home garage port matched PI heads, a set of cams and a PI intake. You can see the motor setup on his site, www.modularheadshop.com

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Plus I've found 2 shells in good shape for less than $1000. And since everything is going to be custom I don't need the rest of the car anyway
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion