How do you guys feel about miles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How do you guys feel about miles?

I bought my 2012 in very late 2011, and it had only a couple thousand miles on it. Since then I have managed to put over 20k averaging about 12k miles a year. A close friend of mine freaks out about that because he has a 01 cobra that he bought off the showroom floor that has 21,9xx miles on it and he had it from when it had 7 miles. I can't understand his problem with putting miles on car.. Why else do you buy them right? He can't wrap his head around my 2012 being higher mileage than his 01, but I have no choice because its my DD. My lightning only has 51k and it's a 01 also, but I can't drive that thing every day because I'll die. Otherwise it would probably have 100k+ on it. What do you guys think?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Meant to be driven... Some of us can't afford 2 cars lol. So my weekend trophy is my DD.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Meant to be driven... Some of us can't afford 2 cars lol. So my weekend trophy is my DD.
That's what I'm saying.. I love my 5.0 so much I can't stop drivin it. Today I went for a drive just for the hell of it haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I would not own a car I was afraid to drive for fear of decreasing its value. Cars are meant to be driven and to enjoy one's self while getting from point A to point B. As pretty as the cars are at a show, I would not have one that had to sit covered in a garage between shows. But then that's just me. On a similar note I can't wait for a warranty to expire before I can enjoy my car the way I really want. I'm going to change it now.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

That's what I'm saying.. I love my 5.0 so much I can't stop drivin it. Today I went for a drive just for the hell of it haha.
And in my opinion, these aren't rare or in the exclusivity of other cars that might be treated like show cars or weekend drivers (GTR, ZR1, etc). Even the limited production Boss may or may not ever be a true "collectors" car... Only time will tell.

I'd say drive the hell out of em.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well the way I see it is that you can have a car at the car show that you drive the hell out of all week. My car has plenty of custom aspects to it and I clear car bra'd the whole front end that way all I have to do is wash/wax before a car show. 2 years old and not one rock chip or swirl mark in almost 26k miles. Hand wash once a week and wax once a month.. Drive it like you stole it. Even the engine bay will stay pretty if you don't let it get away from you. So those cars people have that have no miles on them aren't worth the hassle. Why spend all that money for something that sits around. If I had a zr1 or gtr I'd daily drive the hell out of it. Haha
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I bought an SVT Cobra new in 1998. Drove it daily the first summer, put it up for the winter (lived in the rust belt then) got a beater to drive to work and the Cobra spent more time in the garage under cover than on the road, for the next six years. took a few trips in it but most of the time it sat. All cleaned up & ready to go, but I felt guilty if it got rained on or dirty, so yes mostly just sat under the car cover in the garage. I sold the car in 2005, still smelled new inside & looked like new underneath & under the hood. The guy I sold it to. Well he DROVE it. Almost felt jealous every time I saw him in it. I made up my mind I would NEVER again deny my self the pleasure of driving a car and preserve it for some one else. I now live in a place where the sun shines almost every day of the year. My wife's DD is a 2013 GT Premium, My DD is a 2014 GT Premium. I pamper (clean & maintain) these cars to the nth degree, but they are driven like they were meant to be. AHHH... freedom to enjoy. If your car is your toy & just comes out for weekends or shows, I get it...........but man are you missing out on the real pleasure of ownership. Just my .02 %. Thanks for listening.
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
I bought an SVT Cobra new in 1998. Drove it daily the first summer, put it up for the winter (lived in the rust belt then) got a beater to drive to work and the Cobra spent more time in the garage under cover than on the road, for the next six years. took a few trips in it but most of the time it sat. All cleaned up & ready to go, but I felt guilty if it got rained on or dirty, so yes mostly just sat under the car cover in the garage. I sold the car in 2005, still smelled new inside & looked like new underneath & under the hood. The guy I sold it to. Well he DROVE it. Almost felt jealous every time I saw him in it. I made up my mind I would NEVER again deny my self the pleasure of driving a car and preserve it for some one else. I now live in a place where the sun shines almost every day of the year. My wife's DD is a 2013 GT Premium, My DD is a 2014 GT Premium. I pamper (clean & maintain) these cars to the nth degree, but they are driven like they were meant to be. AHHH... freedom to enjoy. If your car is your toy & just comes out for weekends or shows, I get it...........but man are you missing out on the real pleasure of ownership. Just my .02 %. Thanks for listening.
I can relate to this! My first ride ever was a low mileage 1998 F150 and I was so proud of it. I lifted it an did all sorts of things to make it into a "show truck". I even got the lift kit/ underbody powder coated and had the engine looking better than the newer trucks did coming off the showroom floor. I would never take that truck off road and I used to get so much flak for it. A friend of mine at the time with rich parents bought a brand new 6.0 king ranch and the first week he had it he had gotten it stuck in the mud and had pictures of it buried. Made me feel like an idiot because I had made the off road "beast" into a pavement queen. All the way my friend took the first chance to enjoy his 40k+ truck. Ever since then, I've ran them all into the ground haha. I don't ever get rid of vehicles anyway so what matters. If I break it I fix it. Lol
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Eh...it's more fun to enjoy my cars in short times. Gives me something to look forward to.

Rolled over 40k on the 03 last weekend on a weekend roadtrip.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I like to keep my miles down simply for trade in purposes. I drive it everyday, but for any trip I take or any place I go where parking is suspect I drive a 13 Focus. I average 5k a year on the Mustangs.You get zero respect on the road driving a Focus btw...
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I maybe put 2,000 miles on my stang in the past 2 years. I had a kid so I needed a 4 door "family" car so I bought a '11 WRX. I then got a job where I drive 120 miles round trip per day. I couldn't bring myself to rack up that mileage on the WRX. So I bought a '01 Corolla to rack miles on and for the 38 mpg that I average so that is my justification for buying that. Now my stang and my WRX both sit all week. The only time I drive my stang is when I am by myself (no wifey or kid) and that doesn't happen often.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx
I like to keep my miles down simply for trade in purposes. I drive it everyday, but for any trip I take or any place I go where parking is suspect I drive a 13 Focus. I average 5k a year on the Mustangs.You get zero respect on the road driving a Focus btw...
I drive an 07 focus everyday...i understand.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I have a company vehicle so that's what I drive everyday. I'm usually at home with the kids so I only get to drive the Mustang once or twice a week if I'm lucky. I've had her almost 3 yrs (bought brand new) and she just turned 7k. It's fun for me just to have a weekend toy even if that's the only timei get to drive it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
I bought my 2012 in very late 2011, and it had only a couple thousand miles on it. Since then I have managed to put over 20k averaging about 12k miles a year. A close friend of mine freaks out about that because he has a 01 cobra that he bought off the showroom floor that has 21,9xx miles on it and he had it from when it had 7 miles. I can't understand his problem with putting miles on car.. Why else do you buy them right? He can't wrap his head around my 2012 being higher mileage than his 01, but I have no choice because its my DD. My lightning only has 51k and it's a 01 also, but I can't drive that thing every day because I'll die. Otherwise it would probably have 100k+ on it. What do you guys think?
My 05 GT was purchased by my Dad with 1700 miles in 2006. I bought it in June with exactly 50k miles. To me, the low miles indicates it hasn't been abused, and not worn out. However, I didn't pay $15,000 to just look at it. I fully intend to drive it like I stole it, and baby it like none other. I bought it to enjoy.

It's OK to keep miles low if you plan on selling it, so the value stays as high as it can. But, you can't be afraid to drive it. Just enjoy it, and tell your friend to go rub his 01 some more, since that's about all he does with it.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post

My 05 GT was purchased by my Dad with 1700 miles in 2006. I bought it in June with exactly 50k miles. To me, the low miles indicates it hasn't been abused, and not worn out. However, I didn't pay $15,000 to just look at it. I fully intend to drive it like I stole it, and baby it like none other. I bought it to enjoy.

It's OK to keep miles low if you plan on selling it, so the value stays as high as it can. But, you can't be afraid to drive it. Just enjoy it, and tell your friend to go rub his 01 some more, since that's about all he does with it.
I agree with you to an extent. To me a car that's high mileage can be well taken care of and not worn out. The cars that make me look twice are those super low mile heavy modified cars.. Those usually have issues with them.

Don't get me wrong though, his cobra is beautiful.. Race red, and near perfect condition
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
I agree with you to an extent. To me a car that's high mileage can be well taken care of and not worn out. The cars that make me look twice are those super low mile heavy modified cars.. Those usually have issues with them.

Don't get me wrong though, his cobra is beautiful.. Race red, and near perfect condition
I totally get what you're saying. I'd take a 100k vehicle from anyone in my family because I know how they maintain vehicles. Mileage isn't conclusive, , but based on a lot of the issues the guys around here talk about, I'd be really cautious buying from someone I didn't know. Like you said, low-miles but lots of mods.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
As long as you keep up with maintenance I see no wrong in putting miles on our stangs. I look at it this way, if something breaks it can ways be replaced or upgraded. Like if you blow your motor, if you really love your car enough you could just buy a new motor or get a coyote crate engine ;P. It's always fun learning how everything works by tearing it apart and replacing or upgrading car parts also. keep up with regular washes and waxes and your paint will stay spotless for years.
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just over 141k on my Bullitt, and it goes up every day.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My DD died so I'm up to almost 16k on my less than a year old '13. I turned off the odometer so it hurts less.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:

buy a car for it to sit? terrible lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Since I have a Mach 1 I try and keep my miles as low as possible. But, I will drive my car when ever possible.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmer View Post
Since I have a Mach 1 I try and keep my miles as low as possible. But, I will drive my car when ever possible.
I got my Bullitt with high miles, so the pressure of keeping it low miles is off lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Gotta do what ya gotta do man. If you do find you're puttin too many on, just go out and buy a ****box to drive to work.
My stang is my summer DD cuz i dont want any road salt or that crap they spray now mangling my car. Ill be using my previous car as a winter beater and storing my baby someplace warm.
As for your buddy with the cobra, at 21k miles he hasnt even gotten his moneys worth out of it yet. He better get drivin it before the thing rots out haha.
I used to have a 95 and a 98 both were rusted to ****! Luckily im good ay bodywork
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I did buy a DD a while back but it's sat in my driveway a lot more then my '11 GT. I'm pushing 47K. I guess I'm weak, I have no self control.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
As long as you take decent care of it, it can last a long time. Hand wash it properly with professional tools often, wax it, avoid potholes and riding behind trucks that'll kick up debris, and maintenance the engine on time... No worries.
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
29,000 miles on my year old 13, bought it to drive and I do everyday, even in the winter.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion