Axle-backs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Axle-backs?

I want a different exhaust, mainly looking for deeper sound, a louder than stock, but not too loud, as I can get headaches easily. I'm thinking of FR GT500's, Flowmaster A/T series, Roush, or BBK varitone AB's
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
YouTube them, I went with borla stypes, but just search axelbacks on here and there's a bunch of good threads discussing it, I think there's one on the first page called, best axelbacks?
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: California
I love my Roush bought em without hearing or seeing and I have absolutely no regrets....they don't get loud till around 4k rpm so you can control them , they have a nice idle and the tips are visual candy .....I've gotten nothing but compliments on them ....nice candy red I got the same option 395 lol
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
It sounds like you want a deep mild tone that only comes to life when you punch it. Go for the GT500's.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You'll probably enjoy the gt500 axlebacks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

I was first considering the Borla's. I heard them on YouTube, and some of them are just too lound for me. I guess I'm not quite as young as I used to be. But there are also expensive. I ended up buying the Roush and have no regrets. They are greating sounding, not too loud, and a lot cheaper than the Borlas. When I had them installed there were a couple of people getting some work done too at the shop. As soon as they heard my Roush axle backs, everyone was impressed. Not a single person without a smile, inlcuding myself. No regrets with Roush for me. I hope this helps.
MrGeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
It sounds like you want a deep mild tone that only comes to life when you punch it. Go for the GT500's.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, good and loud on start up, and accelerating, and quiet-ish while cruising at 70 MPH. I've heard good things about the GT500's, my golf coach has a 2013 GT with GT500 AB's, and loves it.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check out Corsa Sports or even the extremes, not too loud, but scream when you get on it
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I bought the Roush Axleback and installed one side to see how it sounds before I get the second side on. I loved it but since this is my daily driver and I have a long commute, I found it a bit loud. So I am selling it. Don't get me wrong, it has a nice deep sound. I still recommend it if you don't put over 100 miles per day commuting.
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I usually put 35-40 daily miles
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The roush have no drone whatsoever on the freeway. So commuting is easy.
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What about the Ford racing GT500 dual exhaust, not the quad tip ones.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
What about the Ford racing GT500 dual exhaust, not the quad tip ones.
For the money gt500's are the deepest exhaust with off pipes. Gt500's with cats are a little louder than stock but very calm.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13 View Post
For the money gt500's are the deepest exhaust with off pipes. Gt500's with cats are a little louder than stock but very calm.
What about with just the axleback, and no other exhaust mods?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I would recommend roush axlebacks if you are not going to mod later on. If you plan on modding then gt500's or borla s-type (expensive option)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I <3 my gt500s. they are a good combo of bass and volume
Agony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agony View Post
I <3 my gt500s. they are a good combo of bass and volume
A friend of mine has the GT500 AB's on his GT, no other exhaust mods, and they sound great
Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #18

Region: Texas
It seems about 50% of the reviews/comments I've seen on the Roush is that they do drone, can anyone else comment on the Roush? I ordered the GT500 arleady, in fact they should deliver today but was still leaning towards the Roush but Im worried they may be too loud? I use mine as a daily driver 85 miles per day.
Midlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have any drone with my Roush axle backs. I also have a jegs H pipe and ota pipes without resonators. Cats are still in place because I don't want to go deaf
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlo View Post
It seems about 50% of the reviews/comments I've seen on the Roush is that they do drone, can anyone else comment on the Roush? I ordered the GT500 arleady, in fact they should deliver today but was still leaning towards the Roush but Im worried they may be too loud? I use mine as a daily driver 85 miles per day.
No drone at all. I'll sell you mine. I just installed the gt 500's an lethal o/r x so I swapped mufflers. I loved them with the stock mid pipe though.
2013Coyote5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #21

No drone?? Man I may have ordered the wrong axle backs. Can I make the GT500s louder? Although the Roush mufflers look a lot better.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
No drone?? Man I may have ordered the wrong axle backs. Can I make the GT500s louder? Although the Roush mufflers look a lot better.
GT500s are the best axlebacks to do future exhuast mods on... Delete the resonators next and then maybe down the road u can do something with your mid pipes... If staying with only axlebacks, then Roush is a better choice, DO NOT do anything else if staying with Roush, as they get stupid loud in a bad way
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #23

I know very little about the exhaust, how do you delete the resonators and what does that do? Make the exhaust louder? Would removing the resonators effect factory warranty at all?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
The 50% that say they drone, obviously don't have Roush.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I have Heartthrob Flowpacks and they have a significant 2k rpm drone as well. Especially in 6th. They have a loud rumble on cold starts and warm acceleration too. Being I'm old skool, I love the noise. It's the sound of freedom.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #26

If you want that deep tone, with no drone, and not obnoxious sound the kooks axle backs are great for that. I swapped my SLP loudmouths with a friend since I wanted to tame the sound a bit and drone so we ended up swapping and what a difference. Not raspy like the slp's and much deeper, I actually can hear my stereo lol. I liked my slp's when I wanted that crazy rasp sound but there are days I do like to hear my stereo and phone calls. And I hear you on the headaches I used to give them to my passengers when I had the slp's on and x pipe. I think the kooks are exactly the sound you are looking for.
StormTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
If you want that deep tone, with no drone, and not obnoxious sound the kooks axle backs are great for that. I swapped my SLP loudmouths with a friend since I wanted to tame the sound a bit and drone so we ended up swapping and what a difference. Not raspy like the slp's and much deeper, I actually can hear my stereo lol. I liked my slp's when I wanted that crazy rasp sound but there are days I do like to hear my stereo and phone calls. And I hear you on the headaches I used to give them to my passengers when I had the slp's on and x pipe. I think the kooks are exactly the sound you are looking for.
Totally off topic....but there can only be one Storm Trooper around these parts....lol my car is the storm trooper...literally
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Totally off topic....but there can only be one Storm Trooper around these parts....lol my car is the storm trooper...literally
Lol, I must show you my 2012 and 2014 then
Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, I must show you my 2012 and 2014 then
.....mine is literally black and white and has Storm Trooper on the car! Hahaha pics? Ill show you mine if u show me yours hahaa jk but seriously bust out pics bro
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
.....mine is literally black and white and has Storm Trooper on the car! Hahaha pics? Ill show you mine if u show me yours hahaa jk but seriously bust out pics bro
Don't want to derail this thread, I posted an intro thread just recently both cars are on there. Will be doing a photo shoot soon in a storm trooper costume and my car lol. Sorry for the off-topic chatting Mustangz, but like I said I think kooks is the sound you are going for.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't want to derail this thread, I posted an intro thread just recently both cars are on there. Will be doing a photo shoot soon in a storm trooper costume and my car lol. Sorry for the off-topic chatting Mustangz, but like I said I think kooks is the sound you are going for.
Commented on ur intro posts
Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I had the roush. But am looking into my future and see an off-road x-pipe coming as soon as I get enough money. Soooo. I sold my roush and bought the gt500's. I cried the day I took my roush off. They were a sweet sweet sound. And I sobbed the day I put my gt500's on. They (to me) don't sound to much different then the stock exhaust. Maybe it was because I went from stock-roush-no axle back(1 week)-gt500's. But I know when I delete my resonators and get the off road x. That it will be once again. Sweet sweet music to my ears. And also a gain in hp (off-road x pipe) of course.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Go with roush!! My 9 month old loves hearing them at start up. Face lights up with a smile!
Coyote Fever5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #34

Region: Oklahoma
I listened to different axle backs on U-tube and read alot of opinions about them. Settled on Roush and love the sound. At idle it sounds like a motor boat and crackles and pops when I rev the engine. Can be quiet too, if you keep the revs down, but it really snarls when you pass 3K revs. Highway cruising they are barely noticeable.
dhickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I want a different exhaust, mainly looking for deeper sound, a louder than stock, but not too loud, as I can get headaches easily. I'm thinking of FR GT500's, Flowmaster A/T series, Roush, or BBK varitone AB's
I didn't read all of the posts but here is my two cents. I got the Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, for my 2013 V6. I love them. Not too loud, nice purring at a stop light and when your driving 70 mph on the interstate it's quiet enough in the car you don't hear that engine drone.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion