Is your GT your Daily Driver? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol at the auto hate. Go to a 1/4 track sometime. Also the 6 speeds in the new Mustangs are kind of bleh. There's a reason that Tremec had a Magnum kit for the 2011-up cars ready to pretty much immediately on release of the car.
Here's the thing, first off, I have no issue whatsoever with automatic transmissions. That said, I do have a problem with the whole "it does better at the 1/4 mile" argument. Of course it does better, all you have to do is floor it when the light turns green and you have 2 hands to hold the car on course, and a left foot with nothing to do but help keep you braced in the seat. You don't have to worry about timing your shift, missing a gear, working a clutch or any of that complicated stuff that requires actual skill.

Moreover, debunking the quarter mile argument aside, the Boss 302 wasn't developed for the approximate 12 seconds of pounding out the quarter mile drag (which it does just fine at regardless). It was designed for the roughly 2.5 hours (give or take) on a track like Laguna Seca (hence that edition of the car).

Lastly, this is my second Mustang with the "crappy" transmission. I put 32k miles on my 5.0 before trading it up, and in a couple of weeks have put 1k on the Boss... haven't had a single issue with the transmission on either.
Boss_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #107
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_302 View Post
Here's the thing, first off, I have no issue whatsoever with automatic transmissions. That said, I do have a problem with the whole "it does better at the 1/4 mile" argument. Of course it does better, all you have to do is floor it when the light turns green and you have 2 hands to hold the car on course, and a left foot with nothing to do but help keep you braced in the seat. You don't have to worry about timing your shift, missing a gear, working a clutch or any of that complicated stuff that requires actual skill.

Moreover, debunking the quarter mile argument aside, the Boss 302 wasn't developed for the approximate 12 seconds of pounding out the quarter mile drag (which it does just fine at regardless). It was designed for the roughly 2.5 hours (give or take) on a track like Laguna Seca (hence that edition of the car).

Lastly, this is my second Mustang with the "crappy" transmission. I put 32k miles on my 5.0 before trading it up, and in a couple of weeks have put 1k on the Boss... haven't had a single issue with the transmission on either.
I was just messing around too, but YOU called the automatic "training wheels" lol. Still gotta time your shifts with a MVB/Glide and still have to nail the tree and the auto is also faster simply because of mechanics. You can pull a 1.5 60 ft and nail every shift with a stick and the auto will still win because the torque converter lets it come off the line harder. All skill aside, just win baby, just win.

For a DD though, hard to argue against a properly setup and built stick shift. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with yours, I'd say most ppl did not but the percentage who did was very high compared to the normal new model issues. I also think that the gear ratios in the Getrags are absolutely ridiculous but that's just me.

And yes I understand the Boss was setup for road racing which is where the stick beats the auto every time, its just tiring to see ppl always bashing autos when 99% of them have never ridden in a big power stalled one (not saying you specifically). Might change a lot of minds when you get slammed into the back of your seat from a stop and the power does NOT let up.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Fair enough buddy, it's all in preference. No worries, I'm just opinionated and set in my ways.

I was the same way when I was a bombardier/navigator on the B-52 for 10 years. It was "win baby, win" as you drop 12x2,000 lb class, GPS/INS guided bombs that hit within 9 feet of the target from 35,000 feet going 7 miles per minute... but nothing got respect more than raking a target with 45x750lb class unguided bombs, using only the radar scope to aim and Doppler to calculate drift... and land the closest one at the same 9 feet.

To each their own, not downplaying it, just my own preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #109

Region: Florida
1. yes (for now)

2. automatic
onebadhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

This is my second stang with the crappy trans as well and I've had issues with both :/
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks dude, what kinds if issues?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
That sucks dude, what kinds if issues?
First one was leaking trans fluid (vent tube broke on TOP of the trans and it was throwing fluid out of the top of the trans)

Second one (Boss) the fifth gear synchronizer is gone in it. It should be going into the shop this coming week hopefully.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
1.) 98 mustang GT vert. Daily driver and in the winter too. Try to keep her in the garage when it snows if possible. No traction control, no abs and all season tires...lol it's a good thing I know how to drive.

2.) manual, only thing I'll ever drive

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine is winter an summer I need to get a beater car soon lol
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #115
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Mine is winter an summer I need to get a beater car soon lol
I just sold my beater lol. Its my stang or my 14mpg truck 30 miles each way... I'd recommend a 1st generation 4 cyl 5 SPD Mazda 6. Great cars and 35 mpg. They had a badass turbo awd one in 06/07.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
1.) 98 mustang GT vert. Daily driver and in the winter too. Try to keep her in the garage when it snows if possible. No traction control, no abs and all season tires...lol it's a good thing I know how to drive. 2.) manual, only thing I'll ever drive
In the snow?!?! U are brave! I have to buy a beater here within the next two months. My girl will not see the winter weather. Sniff sniff. I know it is getting close! However right now it is my DD and it is a MT.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
In the snow?!?! U are brave! I have to buy a beater here within the next two months. My girl will not see the winter weather. Sniff sniff. I know it is getting close! However right now it is my DD and it is a MT.
I have a good set of winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion Ice) and winter wheels. With the tires, traction control and a stick the Mustang does just fine in the snow. I had no issues last winter, and that included getting caught in a surprise nasty snowstorm while driving home from Holland, Michigan. The heated seats help too! Personally I would not spend the $$$ for a second car, unless you have a really special,show car or something.
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Took my 06 GT through many a winter icing. Not ideal conditions of course, but from what I've always seen, the people who get into the most trouble in it are the ones with 4 wheel drive that think the laws of physics don't apply to them. Ice doesn't give a crap how many wheels have power to them (unless you try to get momentum uphill from a standstill).
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #119
Staff
Regular
Staff

I won't drive mine in the snow not because I can't (throw some blizzaks on it and call it good), I won't drive it in the winter because they put that calcium/salt isht on the roads that eats up the cars like crazy. I'll let a beater or my truck tke that, not my 98 that has little/no corrosion on it anywhere.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
I have a good set of winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion Ice) and winter wheels. With the tires, traction control and a stick the Mustang does just fine in the snow. I had no issues last winter, and that included getting caught in a surprise nasty snowstorm while driving home from Holland, Michigan. The heated seats help too! Personally I would not spend the $$$ for a second car, unless you have a really special,show car or something.
Well that is awesome. Good to know but I am not about to let the salt and crap eat my paint we are just gonna buy something cheap for cash money. But I won't drive it in the winter. Noooo thank u. My luck I would wreck it and I drive 4 days a week to school and the opposite direction at night for work! Lol
Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yeah I here there I'm hoping I can drive mine till the end of this month then she goes into hibernation till spring and out comes the beater 4 cyl. Hyundia elantra oh boy I can't wait NOT .
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion