won't go into third - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
TXstang125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 410
won't go into third

I have a manual mach 1 and sometimes it won't go into 3rd anyone know what's wrong ?
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Is it while you are getting on it/ speed shifting. Stock shifter?
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
TXstang125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Is it while you are getting on it/ speed shifting. Stock shifter?
Yeah it's when I get on it, theres a MGW in it with the bump stops off , aftermarket clutch , steeda clutch cable with quadrant , the throw out barring is bad I'm getting it fixed soon

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstang125 View Post

Yeah it's when I get on it, theres a MGW in it with the bump stops off , aftermarket clutch , steeda clutch cable with quadrant , the throw out barring is bad I'm getting it fixed soon
And I made sure I was completely off the gas and clutch all the way it and it still just stoped there was a wall
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
You have the Tremec 3650 correct? Those transmissions do not like to shift above 6k rpm, thats your problem. Its just a part of the transmission was a ****ty design so it is hard to shift past that rpm.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
TXstang125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You have the Tremec 3650 correct? Those transmissions do not like to shift above 6k rpm, thats your problem. Its just a part of the transmission was a ****ty design so it is hard to shift past that rpm.
Yeah it's a 3650
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Damn, that third gear can be a Pesky MoFo...

Try draining the oil and refilling with only 3.2 quarts instead of around 4 quarts.

There was a TSB about this problem and Ford recommends using LESS oil to reduce the "windage" and, hopefully, solve the shifting problem.

Mobil 1 synthetic...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
TXstang125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Damn, that third gear can be a Pesky MoFo...

Try draining the oil and refilling with only 3.2 quarts instead of around 4 quarts.

There was a TSB about this problem and Ford recommends using LESS oil to reduce the "windage" and, hopefully, solve the shifting problem.

Mobil 1 synthetic...
I put 4 quarts and it never showed up on the dip stick so Idk about 3.2 and GTX FTW !!!! Haha I tried shifting at diffrent points and it seems that that wall comes into play at 5 1/2k RPMs if I shift before then it goes right in
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
There is no dipstick...
It sounds like this may be your problem. The oil is "slinging" around in there and making it hard to shift... Maybe.
Thats the cheapest thing to try to solve the hard shifting.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstang125 View Post

Yeah it's when I get on it, theres a MGW in it with the bump stops off , aftermarket clutch , steeda clutch cable with quadrant , the throw out barring is bad I'm getting it fixed soon

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------



And I made sure I was completely off the gas and clutch all the way it and it still just stoped there was a wall
My throw out barring was going out I had the same problem I fix the barring and it shifts fine now
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
TXstang125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
There is no dipstick...
It sounds like this may be your problem. The oil is "slinging" around in there and making it hard to shift... Maybe.
Thats the cheapest thing to try to solve the hard shifting.
Oh hahaha my bad I was talking about the engine oil lol I'll look at that where do u drain it and fill it ?

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

My throw out barring was going out I had the same problem I fix the barring and it shifts fine now
I hope that's what it is I got the TB just gotta save up a little more for installation
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstang125 View Post
Oh hahaha my bad I was talking about the engine oil lol I'll look at that where do u drain it and fill it ?

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------



I hope that's what it is I got the TB just gotta save up a little more for installation
Yeah, don't just use 3.2 quarts in the engine.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission and a fill plug on the side of the transmission.

No guarantees, that's the only thing I can think of to try without tearing apart the car...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:56 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.