Performance Tune Competition - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
With the latest news of Steeda now offering the free tunes for life program, it really makes me wonder. How good is Steeda. How much better throttle response, firmness in shifts and acceleration will Steeda tune bring. Lately, performance tunes have been a hot topic on the forum which has people including myself wondering. Which tuning company provides the most power gains from there tunes.

Who provides the most HP and torque gains? You always here positive things about Steeda, Bama along with MPT. Since AM offers free tunes for life they really seem to shine above the rest on customers who use there tunes but do they provide the most HP and torque gains or do other tuning companies unlock more hidden power.

Its been said that while AM provides a very good tune, they tend to be on the conservative side with there tunes and leave a lot of hidden power. So the big question is. Between Steeda, MPT and American Muscle who makes the most powerful tune with the largest HP and torque gains.

My mustang club is having its first dyno day this Saturday 9/28/13 and really would love to settle this question. I currently have a bama 91 Octane hybrid tune along with a 91 octane MPT race performance tune. I bit the bullet and ordered the Steeda free tunes for life. I ordered a 91 octane tune from them as well.

I am hoping to make 300 HP to the WHEELS based on my mods. This will be a fair test consisting of each different tune having the same 91 octane level. There will be no added or removed parts or power modifications. I do not work for any performance tuning company so I am biased and the numbers will speak for itself. I will get the print out of each dyno report and post it up here. My car has the following power mods that will affect the HP and torque numbers:

Performance tune
Airraid CAI
BBK ceramic long tube headers
Off road X pipe.
Flowmaster Force II axle back exhaust

So may the most powerful tune win. Steeda , vs MPT, vs Bama
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My money is on MPT good luck
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You have long tubes right? I wish I could make it out there this weekend.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
You have long tubes right? I wish I could make it out there this weekend.
Yes sir. I have long tube headers. I will get the real deal results and just the raw data to share. That way I can prove which tune makes the best power. If I were to guess. MPT will place highest followed by Steeda and third bama. We shall see. Sorry you can't make it. I am excited about my Steeda tune because I hear they make great power as well and highly reputable.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yes sir. I have long tube headers. I will get the real deal results and just the raw data to share. That way I can prove which tune makes the best power. If I were to guess. MPT will place highest followed by Steeda and third bama. We shall see. Sorry you can't make it. I am excited about my Steeda tune because I hear they make great power as well and highly reputable.
I'm definitely interested in the results, I gave the mpt cam tune a try and had problems getting them to help me with it. 125 $ down the drain, so hesitant on trying them again.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
My money is on MPT good luck
Thanks Bro. Not sure if anyone actually ever did this on the forum but I'm doing three major tuning companies. I don't have enough money to try Lund, VMP , custom tune, etc . Lol. Someone else can do them. At least this will show the true results. Same car, same mods, same octane rating for all three, same dyno machine, same weather conditions.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

I'm definitely interested in the results, I gave the mpt cam tune a try and had problems getting them to help me with it. 125 $ down the drain, so hesitant on trying them again.
I haven't heard many good things about any cam tunes from majority of forum members. I only know of one member who really likes his cam tune but that's it. This is only hear say and don't know for a fact if its good or bad. I love my mpt tune and no issues in dealing with them.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
Why don't you just invest in a custom dyno tune and never look back. Matt at performance evolution, where I believe you're having your dyno day, he's a mad scientist when it comes to tuning. He will take care of you for sure. I'll be there that day helping take care of you guys and giving him a hand getting cars on and off the dyno. Good luck! See you there...
.DWC_SmOziLLa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .DWC_SmOziLLa. View Post
Why don't you just invest in a custom dyno tune and never look back. Matt at performance evolution, where I believe you're having your dyno day, he's a mad scientist when it comes to tuning. He will take care of you for sure. I'll be there that day helping take care of you guys and giving him a hand getting cars on and off the dyno. Good luck! See you there...
I'm looking forward to meeting Matt as well as you and the others helping Matt for our dyno day. I had set this dyno day up for the club and been working with Matt over the phone. I have heard similar things about Matt being a mad scientist when it comes to mustangs and custom tunes. While there, Matt said he would be glad to speak with me about what a custom tune can and can't do for me which I plan to discuss with him. We spoke briefly on the phone about a custom dyno tune for my car based upon my bolt on modifications. Matt was very honest and told me because my car is not supercharged he was not sure how much more HP and torque he could squeeze out over the email tunes.

He indicated he was confident that a custom dyno tune would net more HP and torque but for the cost, it may not be financially worth it for the few extra HP and torque. The biggest factor was because I have bolt on mods. Matt did not tell me what the cost of a custom tune would run, however I plan on discussing with him that day after getting the results from all three tunes.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Should be a fun day. I'll be sure to take tons if pictures and get some video. How many cars are planning to attend?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Should be a fun day. I'll be sure to take tons if pictures and get some video. How many cars are planning to attend?
I can't wait. We only have 9 confirmed going thus far and am really disappointed in the numbers so far. I figured we were going to have at least 15 cars. Matt is so hooking our club up with the price and can't believe not more are interested in a club that has over 120 members.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Road Trip!

That stinks. Hopefully you get some more people wanting to attend this week. 9 makes for a pretty short day. The beauty is, the more people that attend, the cheaper it will be for everybody.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That stinks. Hopefully you get some more people wanting to attend this week. 9 makes for a pretty short day. The beauty is, the more people that attend, the cheaper it will be for everybody.
Amen to that bro. I'm disappointed to say the least but maybe more will attend. I plan on having three pulls.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Amen to that bro. I'm disappointed to say the least but maybe more will attend. I plan on having three pulls.
Don't let up on them. Keep pushing. 9/120 is sad for a club dyno day. Especially since you are all only about a hour away. 20 would be respectable. Tell everyone I'll bring punch and pie.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't let up on them. Keep pushing. 9/120 is sad for a club dyno day. Especially since you are all only about a hour away. 20 would be respectable. Tell everyone I'll bring punch and pie.
You had me at the pie part. Lmao. Cherry please.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
You had me at the pie part. Lmao. Cherry please.
Lol. *THERE WILL BE NO PIE!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol. *THERE WILL BE NO PIE!!!
I figured as much. Lol. It will be a fun day.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
With the latest news of Steeda now offering the free tunes for life program, it really makes me wonder. How good is Steeda. How much better throttle response, firmness in shifts and acceleration will Steeda tune bring. Lately, performance tunes have been a hot topic on the forum which has people including myself wondering. Which tuning company provides the most power gains from there tunes.

Who provides the most HP and torque gains? You always here positive things about Steeda, Bama along with MPT. Since AM offers free tunes for life they really seem to shine above the rest on customers who use there tunes but do they provide the most HP and torque gains or do other tuning companies unlock more hidden power.

Its been said that while AM provides a very good tune, they tend to be on the conservative side with there tunes and leave a lot of hidden power. So the big question is. Between Steeda, MPT and American Muscle who makes the most powerful tune with the largest HP and torque gains.

My mustang club is having its first dyno day this Saturday 9/28/13 and really would love to settle this question. I currently have a bama 91 Octane hybrid tune along with a 91 octane MPT race performance tune. I bit the bullet and ordered the Steeda free tunes for life. I ordered a 91 octane tune from them as well.

I am hoping to make 300 HP to the WHEELS based on my mods. This will be a fair test consisting of each different tune having the same 91 octane level. There will be no added or removed parts or power modifications. I do not work for any performance tuning company so I am biased and the numbers will speak for itself. I will get the print out of each dyno report and post it up here. My car has the following power mods that will affect the HP and torque numbers:

Performance tune
Airraid CAI
BBK ceramic long tube headers
Off road X pipe.
Flowmaster Force II axle back exhaust

So may the most powerful tune win. Steeda , vs MPT, vs Bama
I think you're going to see very similar gains between all 3 of the tunes. I'm very interested to see the results, definitely let us know! To answer the question about our tunes being conservative, this is true to an extent. We will write our tunes as aggressive as we feel we can safely deliver without datalogging. After you receive your tune and would like to datalog we can definitely make some adjustments to your tune!

Please let me know if you'd like us to make any adjustments to your tune or if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

I think you're going to see very similar gains between all 3 of the tunes. I'm very interested to see the results, definitely let us know! To answer the question about our tunes being conservative, this is true to an extent. We will write our tunes as aggressive as we feel we can safely deliver without datalogging. After you receive your tune and would like to datalog we can definitely make some adjustments to your tune!

Please let me know if you'd like us to make any adjustments to your tune or if you have any questions!

-Dan
Thanks sir. I actually recently had you guys data log my current 91 hybrid tune. Lol. So perhaps it will produce more HP and torque than the first one out of the gate. I think it should be real interesting the results.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks sir. I actually recently had you guys data log my current 91 hybrid tune. Lol. So perhaps it will produce more HP and torque than the first one out of the gate. I think it should be real interesting the results.
Very cool! I'm definitely excited to see the results.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, we have 17 thus far. Better than 9. Lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well, we have 17 thus far. Better than 9. Lol.
Nice. What time are you guys planning on getting there?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice. What time are you guys planning on getting there?
We will be rolling in by 8.00 a.m. I'm looking forward to seeing the results and then discussing with Matt what a custom dyno tune would do for me in terms of more safe HP and torque if there is any room left or did the email tunes top it out. I have always been told typically rule of thumb, a custom dyno tune is not worth the cost when having only bolt on mods. A custom tune may provide more HP and torque but how much more compared to the email tunes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion