Just Got Steeda Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My Steeda tune came today and just set my car back to stock. Connected the tuner into my laptop computer and loaded the tune in. As I type now the Steeda tune is uploading itself into my stangs ECU. Its the 91 tune. Very excited too try the car out tonight and see how it feels especially compared to my 91 MPT tune and 91 Hybrid tune. I will give a follow up review tonight shortly after I test drive the car and make sure all is good.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Tease.
lwevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwevert View Post
Tease.
Tune loaded up and test drive was given. When out on the highway my speedometer was reading 90 mph. My actual speed according to my GPS which is accurate was 70 mph. The car is at least 20 mph slower than what it actually is reading. Hard to tell about the shifts because it was all off. I have a feeling the tune was made for different gearing which mine is 3:73. Just some minor tweaks. I emailed Steeda tonight and sure they will have a new tune out by tomorrow. I hear there customer service is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Tune loaded up and test drive was given. When out on the highway my speedometer was reading 90 mph. My actual speed according to my GPS which is accurate was 70 mph. The car is at least 20 mph slower than what it actually is reading. Hard to tell about the shifts because it was all off. I have a feeling the tune was made for different gearing which mine is 3:73. Just some minor tweaks. I emailed Steeda tonight and sure they will have a new tune out by tomorrow. I hear there customer service is great.
I hope you get some good info from all this!
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Yea they either put in the wrong rear end gearing or wrong tire size
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Hopefully they get it back quick, I'm looking forward to the findings at the dyno day
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Yea they either put in the wrong rear end gearing or wrong tire size
Come to think of it. They never asked my tire size on the tune form,. Hummm!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Hopefully they get it back quick, I'm looking forward to the findings at the dyno day
Yeah, me too. We got 17 cars thus far for the event. Should be awesome.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Come to think of it. They never asked my tire size on the tune form,. Hummm!
Yea but they would have to be WAY off on the tire size... I'm 99% sure it's the rear gear ratio that's off
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea but they would have to be WAY off on the tire size... I'm 99% sure it's the rear gear ratio that's off
I have the 215/65/17 size tires. If they made the tune for say 19 inch tires which comes with the performance package could that cause that huge speed difference to be off?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I have the 215/65/17 size tires. If they made the tune for say 19 inch tires which comes with the performance package could that cause that huge speed difference to be off?
No. the tires are the same overall height
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Copy that. Then the gear ratio must be off. Lol.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Quote:

Copy that. Then the gear ratio must be off. Lol.
That's why I say it has to be the gear ratio
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's why I say it has to be the gear ratio
You have wisdom beyond your years good sir. Lol! I can tell you Steeda is already jumping on it to resolve this minor concern. Must say another company that clearly prides itself on customer service and the reps do monitor these forums. Thanks Steeda
Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You have wisdom beyond your years good sir. Lol! I can tell you Steeda is already jumping on it to resolve this minor concern. Must say another company that clearly prides itself on customer service and the reps do monitor these forums. Thanks Steeda
They couldn't have your car not running proper when you do what all of these manufactures are always looking for. And you beat your sweet *** they have seen this post and are tweaking that tune to squeeze a few extra HP out for ya.

I learned at a young age to listen..... And absorb everything. I have received most of my mustang knowledge off of this forum. But in all aspects of my life, my grandfather always says you talk about things like you are as old as me, you shouldn't know these things
Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They couldn't have your car not running proper when you do what all of these manufactures are always looking for. And you beat your sweet *** they have seen this post and are tweaking that tune to squeeze a few extra HP out for ya.

I learned at a young age to listen..... And absorb everything. I have received most of my mustang knowledge off of this forum. But in all aspects of my life, my grandfather always says you talk about things like you are as old as me, you shouldn't know these things
Lmao. Man, I hope Steeda packs in the most amount of safe power HP and torque my motor can handle based upon my mods. Leave no extra HP and torque unhidden. Lol. I'm really looking forward to getting the Dyno results to see where the HP and torque numbers fall for each 91 tune. Its gonna be a beautiful weather day here in my area tomorrow. 72 degrees and sunny.

Regardless of the numbers I will use all the tunes and all three are super reliable companies with great customer service. I just have a feeling the Steeda tune is gonna put up some big numbers and think 300 rwhp and 280 rwtq is gonna happen.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to thank Steeda for there prompt attention to this and getting out a retune to me before 12:30 this afternoon. Of course I'm not home to load it up but as soon as I get home it will be loaded.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well, Steeda tune is all loaded up and test drive compete. Its definitely the real deal and man do we have a competition. Steeda tune provides awesome down low torque, mid power was its shining and high end was great. The shifts were firm, pulled hard and great throttle response. Its gonna be close in numbers between MPT and Steeda. When I say close I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 HP difference. Steeda may just edge this one out to take the gold on HP and torque to be the king of this dyno day
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, Steeda tune is all loaded up and test drive compete. Its definitely the real deal and man do we have a competition. Steeda tune provides awesome down low torque, mid power was its shining and high end was great. The shifts were firm, pulled hard and great throttle response. Its gonna be close in numbers between MPT and Steeda. When I say close I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 HP difference. Steeda may just edge this one out to take the gold on HP and torque to be the king of this dyno day
Just go dyno it and quit getting my hopes up.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just go dyno it and quit getting my hopes up.
Tomorrow morning bro. All set. Must say, highly impressed with the Steeda tune. Car also pulls like a beast. What's interesting about Steeda tunes that's different is they don't have different tunes like bama or MPT. One doesn't choose between a street, performance, race, etc tune. You only choose the octane rating and your getting there most powerful tune Steeda offers. Its not a bad thing, just different from the other tuning companies.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tomorrow morning bro. All set. Must say, highly impressed with the Steeda tune. Car also pulls like a beast. What's interesting about Steeda tunes that's different is they don't have different tunes like bama or MPT. One doesn't choose between a street, performance, race, etc tune. You only choose the octane rating and your getting there most powerful tune Steeda offers. Its not a bad thing, just different from the other tuning companies.
Yeah that sounds pretty cool though. Haha I'm waiting on your results to try another tune from someone other than BAMA
Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that sounds pretty cool though. Haha I'm waiting on your results to try another tune from someone other than BAMA
I really think tons more consumers will turn to Steeda more now because of there free tunes for life, there impeccable track record of tuning and the amazing power the tunes have.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I really think tons more consumers will turn to Steeda more now because of there free tunes for life, there impeccable track record of tuning and the amazing power the tunes have.
I was thinking about it, still waiting to see though haha. I'm planning on getting different ones. Theres just too many to pick from
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was thinking about it, still waiting to see though haha. I'm planning on getting different ones. Theres just too many to pick from
Well your right on that bro. There are tons of tuning companies. Can make ones head hurt and spin. Lmao. I will post my results tomorrow with a copy of the dyno print out. Realistically, the is only so much power one can get out of a V6 with bolt ons no matter who tunes the car. No way were getting 400 rwhp with just bolt ons.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well your right on that bro. There are tons of tuning companies. Can make ones head hurt and spin. Lmao. I will post my results tomorrow with a copy of the dyno print out. Realistically, the is only so much power one can get out of a V6 with bolt ons no matter who tunes the car. No way were getting 400 rwhp with just bolt ons.
Yeah, they are surprisingly quick tho! For the lack of power we have in comparison to some other v6's they move pretty well. I've always been right on my friend's times at the track in his 2013 3.8 genesis coupe. And those make almost 50 more horse than us at the crank. Finally beat his best time
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, they are surprisingly quick tho! For the lack of power we have in comparison to some other v6's they move pretty well. I've always been right on my friend's times at the track in his 2013 3.8 genesis coupe. And those make almost 50 more horse than us at the crank. Finally beat his best time
Really. Darn bro. That's great. Our V6's can definitely run fast especially with bolt on mods and tune
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno day baby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130928_073850.png
Views:	125
Size:	522.7 KB
ID:	130607
Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I coulda been there
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Any numbers yet? Looks like a fun day
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday20 View Post
Any numbers yet? Looks like a fun day
Let me say , I was very pleased with all three results and certainly no land slide killing. The weather here is 73 degrees and sunny. Key factors for my dyno results:

Automatic
Dyno in 3rd gear for all three tests.

First Dyno run , which is the Run File tune on the Dyno Jet. Dyno run 1 was 91 Steeda Tune. Results: 289.56 rwhp, 274 rwtq.

Second Dyno tune are run files 2 & 3 which was my 91 MPT tune. Results: 297.16 rwhp, 276.02 rwtq.

Third Dyno tune is run file 4 which was my 91 bama hybrid tune. Results: 293.62 rwhp and 268.52 rwtq.

So in conclusion on HP numbers
MPT
Bama
Steeda

So in conclusion on Torque numbers
MPT
Steeda
Bama

Keep in mind I would of been over 300 rwhp had my car been a manual but because I have automatic I loose 15 percent to the rear wheels..

So not bad for a car that produces around 260 rwhp stock form. That's a gain of 40 rwhp.

Bottom line. There all so close in numbers. All comparable to each other. I'm glad I did this test. Now, which tune will provide the best 1/4 mile time? Hum. To be continued. Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-28-15-41-29-1.png
Views:	157
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	130659
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let me say , I was very pleased with all three results and certainly no land slide killing. The weather here is 73 degrees and sunny. Key factors for my dyno results:

Automatic
Dyno in 3rd gear for all three tests.

First Dyno run , which is the Run File tune on the Dyno Jet. Dyno run 1 was 91 Steeda Tune. Results: 289.56 rwhp, 274 rwtq.

Second Dyno tune are run files 2 & 3 which was my 91 MPT tune. Results: 297.16 rwhp, 276.02 rwtq.

Third Dyno tune is run file 4 which was my 91 bama hybrid tune. Results: 293.62 rwhp and 268.52 rwtq.

So in conclusion on HP numbers
MPT
Bama
Steeda

So in conclusion on Torque numbers
MPT
Steeda
Bama

Keep in mind I would of been over 300 rwhp had my car been a manual but because I have automatic I loose 15 percent to the rear wheels..

So not bad for a car that produces around 260 rwhp stock form. That's a gain of 40 rwhp.

Bottom line. There all so close in numbers. All comparable to each other. I'm glad I did this test. Now, which tune will provide the best 1/4 mile time? Hum. To be continued. Lol
I called it but I'm shocked that Steeda was that far off
Old 09-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I called it but I'm shocked that Steeda was that far off
Well, Steeda was not that far off in numbers. While they were 4 rwhp less than bama, they were 6 up on bama tunes for rwtq. So a few less HP but a few more torque. I'm not sure how on a track how the car would run on 1/4 mile times with the three tunes.

Also I have never data logged Steeda tune because I just got it last night so perhaps with a data log Steeda could dial in and squeeze in a few extra HP and Torque well within safe levels. I don't want them to change the air fuel ratio because its spot on perfect, 12 parts to 1.

The dyno operator told me that one can only get so much HP and torque from a motor and if all the tunes are done with safe numbers and the air fuel ratio of 12 parts to 1 the dyno numbers are going to be very close in all tunes. Even a custom dyno tune the operator said he couldn't do me better than what Steeda, Bama or MPT has already done. Unless you go with a turbo, Nitrous or supercharger set up, don't bother with a custom tune.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That's pretty cool they were all very close. Thanks for the write up nice to see some solid numbers rather than just this one feels faster etc.. Makes me feel better about my hybrid bama tune!
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday20 View Post
That's pretty cool they were all very close. Thanks for the write up nice to see some solid numbers rather than just this one feels faster etc.. Makes me feel better about my hybrid bama tune!
Glad to do it. Yep all close. I think the key is to really data log after the first initial tune and get who ever to look at how you car is running and then just dial in any hidden power but safely. Even if I data log Steeda I'm sure will be able to get a few more HP and torque numbers but its not like its gonna be 20 more RWHP. You can only get so much HP out of any engine within safe levels and not to have your engine fried after a few years or months. Lol.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad to do it. Yep all close. I think the key is to really data log after the first initial tune and get who ever to look at how you car is running and then just dial in any hidden power but safely. Even if I data log Steeda I'm sure will be able to get a few more HP and torque numbers but its not like its gonna be 20 more RWHP. You can only get so much HP out of any engine within safe levels and not to have your engine fried after a few years or months. Lol.
Honestly I would like to see the curves. Do you have a pic with them overlapping? I'm curious to see the differences. That's really what matters not just peak HP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion