Don't Shoot the Messenger... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't Shoot the Messenger...

I was looking at a site called Shelby American Inc. They are the ones that do the V6 Shelby Conversion, the $10,000 + that adds a lot of exterior but very little horsepower. They also do GTs.

They do conversions on Automatics also. Yet I don't see having an auto as an option from Ford. Anyone know or can give an Educated Guess why?

I have a friend that has a bad back and left leg, driving an manual is hard for him. Kind of curious myself.

Thanks...
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Shelby American isn't some one off site... That is THE Shelby, that is where you go for genuine shelbys, like Super Snakes, GT350s ect...

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm not quite sure of the question that's being asked here? But ShelbyAmerican is infact the company who creates authentic shelby vehicles. With that $10,000 you get a numbered car. But i still dunno what the question being asked is?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #4

Region: Florida
I think that he's asking why Ford doesn't sell GT500s in automatics?
zbrewha863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Shelby American isn't some one off site... That is THE Shelby, that is where you go for genuine shelbys, like Super Snakes, GT350s ect...
My dealership told me ford is bring back the gt350s in 2015
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
As far as I'm concerned the GT500 has never been automatic. It's more of a performance tradition. I honestly hope they keep it that way too.
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'd like one in automatic, but really, keep the SVT/SHELBY mustangs in manual transmission
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanglover1966 View Post
As far as I'm concerned the GT500 has never been automatic. It's more of a performance tradition. I honestly hope they keep it that way too.
I agree. But as much as an automatic doesnt belong in a mustang there will always be people who need it. ie disabled people, and people who just cant drive stick in general. A buddy of mine wants an automatic because his gt has too much power for him to hold the wheel with one hand lmao (hes a little bit frail)

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I'd like one in automatic, but really, keep the SVT/SHELBY mustangs in manual transmission
Paddles would be pretty coo
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post

A buddy of mine wants an automatic because his gt has too much power for him to hold the wheel with one hand lmao (hes a little bit frail)

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Frail doesn't begin to describe the problems with your friend if that's the case. You should teach him how to drive stick as clearly he has no idea
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
Frail doesn't begin to describe the problems with your friend if that's the case. You should teach him how to drive stick as clearly he has no idea
Lol no he can drive stick, he just has weak little girly arms.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

somedopebeats said:::

Quote:
I agree. But as much as an automatic doesnt belong in a mustang there will always be people who need it. ie disabled people
Don't get me wrong, I do love a stick. The big problem for me is I have bad hips and a bad left leg full of ARTHRITIS that finely caught up to me the last couple of years.
( Souvenirs from my old Army Day's back in the 60's)

My last car was a stick and at times I could not drive it. I got My Mustang with the automatic and it does everything I need it to do. It shifts great and I can cut out the 6th gear using a little button on the side of the shiftier. The main thing is I can drive my Mustang even when my left legs is killing me.

Even Carol Shelby made some of his famous AC Ford Cobra's with automatic transmissions in them. The Original Eleanor in the first Gone in 60 seconds was an automatic. About 90% of the Drag racers that actually win run automatic transmissions. (Ever hear of a two speed "POWERGLIDE? )

If the OP's friend wants to take an Automatic six to get it done by Shelby and he can afford it he should just do it and not worry about what anyone thinks. I sure wish I had an extra $10,000 because I would get mine done.

Ronnie

PS: I'm hoping the OP's friend knows that he provides the car for Shelby U.S.A. to modify.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I do love a stick. The big problem for me is I have bad hips and a bad left leg full of ARTHRITIS that finely caught up to me the last couple of years. ( Souvenirs from my old Army Day's back in the 60's) My last car was a stick and at times I could not drive it. I got My Mustang with the automatic and it does everything I need it to do. It shifts great and I can cut out the 6th gear using a little button on the side of the shiftier. The main thing is I can drive my Mustang even when my left legs is killing me. Even Carol Shelby made some of his famous AC Ford Cobra's with automatic transmissions in them. The Original Eleanor in the first Gone in 60 seconds was an automatic. About 90% of the Drag racers that actually win run automatic transmissions. (Ever hear of a two speed "POWERGLIDE? ) If the OP's friend wants to take an Automatic six to get it done by Shelby and he can afford it he should just do it and not worry about what anyone thinks. I sure wish I had an extra $10,000 because I would get mine done. Ronnie
Exactly my point. Mustangs for all!! Haha
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrewha863 View Post
I think that he's asking why Ford doesn't sell GT500s in automatics?
EXACTLY, 2nd line is the question.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
EXACTLY, 2nd line is the question.
Answer: Because then girls will start buying them! Lol

If Carol Shelby wanted girls in his cars, he would have built them with kitchens inside.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I honestly believe that the SVT Cobras or Shelby GT500s should never be available in an automatic. Not to make it so certain people cannot drive it, but because it is a muscle car and should stick to its roots.

Take the ZL1 for example, it is available in paddle shifters as a "track inspired" car. Thats great, but to me thats not what muscle cars are about. They are about unbelievable power and the skill of the driver being able to control the car themselves. You don't get that out of any automatic transmission.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I know I'm going to probably make some people angry, but I think "Track-inspired cars" such as the Boss 302, and possibly the next SVT/SHELBY Mustang(Rumored to be "Track-Inspired", competitor to the new Camaro Z28, which will have its tail kicked by the SVT) should come with paddle shifters as an OPTION. Give people a choice with those ludicrously powerful Ford (Only car manufacturer for me) SVT/Chrysler SRT or whatever car manufacturer you choose. Most should be sold in manual.

I agree with the "it's a muscle car, with unbelievable power, keep it in manual"
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Come on

Have none of you young guys ever heard of the Hemi-Cuda, The Torque flight Transmissions they used.
Primer2tone said:

Quote:
Because then girls will start buying them!
There are sure a lot of females that can drive a stick. I never knew one that couldn't.

What the hell you guys gonna say when they stick the four cylinder engine in the Mustang next year?

All of us on this forum must like Mustangs or we should not be here. Coupe, Convertible, 1964 all the way to 2014 Mustangs are loved by someone. It don't matter weather it is automatic or stick.The old crap four cylinder, Straight six, V6 or V8. They all share the American Heritage and are very enjoyable to own and drive. Males own them as well as Females. I know that I love My 3.7 Automatic transmission MCA premium coupe and plan on keeping it for a very long time.

If I can ever hit the stupid Lotto the first thing I'm gonna do is buy a Boss 302 and stuff an Automatic Transmission in it and go tracking. My 1998 Corvette was an Automatic and only a few Porsche's and Audi's could beat me through the road course at Daytona.

Not one Corvette with a Stick ever got by me. ((( NONE )))

Like I said, They even made a few of the Original Shelby Cobras with Automatic Transmissions in them.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
There are sure a lot of females that can drive a stick. I never knew one that couldn't. Ronnie
-___-
It was a joke Ronnie. Laugh a little.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
primer2tone's got the jokes! Seriously though, chicks who can drive a stick are badass IMO.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post

The day the put paddles in a mustang is the day I stop buying mustangs. Just saying
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
LOL at all you guys hating on Autos. I bet most of you hating have never been to a 1/4 track. Go to a 1/4 mile track and take a look at what all the fastest cars are running. 9/10 of them will be automatics. Why? Automatics are faster in a straight line. Launch harder with the converter's torque multiplication, NEVER miss a shift and no let up between gears.

Also if you've never ridden in a built/stalled automatic making big power you need to. Launch is like getting hit from behind by a freight train going 100mph and you stay pinned to your seat.

I would have 0 problem with Ford offering anything in an auto. If the demand is there why not? These new 6 speed autos are not your father's "slushbox". They are fast, consistent and the programming these days is very smart at how/when they shift. If you like a manual then more power to you. I think its hilarious when ppl say autos are for girls or suck or are slow or whatever. If an automatic isn't fun its because its slow. If you are setting up for a straight line car, you should go auto if winning races is a primary goal.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion