Yet another exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yet another exhaust

I know, search bar... 100000001 results. But I'm not asking that.

My father drove my car the other day to get it aligned and such. I was running some serious toe problems and balance issues with the tires.

He hated the exhaust setup and said he is taking it to the muffler shop (A++++ work) to have a setup welded in, my resonators removed and making a custom mid pipe. So now that's out of the way, can we buy a muffler from a GT section as they have more options and will it sound descent? How about oh flow cats? He wants a nice tone, not a harsh tone and NO drone like my roush. I am asking for Borla but not sure on the setup after that. Help me out from first hand owners! I love my roush but hey, if he's gonna pay for as much as a new mid pipe and such, go ahead dad!
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I like the gt500s on my 3.7. There's no drone with an o/r x pipe and them. Plenty loud when I wanna be.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I know, search bar... 100000001 results. But I'm not asking that.

My father drove my car the other day to get it aligned and such. I was running some serious toe problems and balance issues with the tires.

He hated the exhaust setup and said he is taking it to the muffler shop (A++++ work) to have a setup welded in, my resonators removed and making a custom mid pipe. So now that's out of the way, can we buy a muffler from a GT section as they have more options and will it sound descent? How about oh flow cats? He wants a nice tone, not a harsh tone and NO drone like my roush. I am asking for Borla but not sure on the setup after that. Help me out from first hand owners! I love my roush but hey, if he's gonna pay for as much as a new mid pipe and such, go ahead dad!
I like your dad!!!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I like your dad!!!
me too!!!
He fixed my exhaust and saved my life.
I have a pic with him!!!
See
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045998736.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	131240  
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Any GT (5.0) muffler will need the back pipes from your old 3.7 mufflers welded on in order to fit your existing exhaust. The stock cats are already good flowing ones, so aftermarket will not yeild any great improvement for the money. Leave them on as well, as it's against federal law to remove them, which over rules any state inspections (wether you have one or not).

These topics are also found in the search; they've been addressed here as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Any GT (5.0) muffler will need the back pipes from your old 3.7 mufflers welded on in order to fit your existing exhaust. The stock cats are already sood flowing ones, so aftermarket will not yeild any great improvement for the money. Leave them on as well, as it's against federal law to remove them, which over rules any state inspections (wether you have one or not). These topics are also found in the search; they've been addressed here as well.
Well high flow cats :p everything is gonna be cut up and custom made. Taking the hybrid X out and making it an H. We have decided that much. Smoother flowing pipe and we are saving all the connectors so it's factory but with a bigger diameter 2.5" and we are undecided on the axle backs and whether to weld in or just ball clamp it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lol as me and alrefire are discussing, could a boss H pipe with quad exhaust work?

He wants it to sound like this (mom's car)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3487694261.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	131262  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol as me and alrefire are discussing, could a boss H pipe with quad exhaust work? He wants it to sound like this (mom's car)
That thing is exactly double the CI of our cars... Your welcome :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Check out Borla's exhaust video comparison below, I think it'll help you make your choice. It sounds like you'll go for Borla's entry level mufflers, the "Touring" series. I have the second series, "S-Types" or "Stingers."

2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

As almost all of us already know.

Borla makes:

Ford Racing
Rousch
Most of the Shelby Mufflers ( Not all) Some are Magnaflow.

Ford Racing Touring, and Magnaflow streets are very good deep sounding without all of the obnoxious noise and drone that most people either love or hate.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Borla only makes the ford racing sport axlebacks. Not the roush
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Well high flow cats :p everything is gonna be cut up and custom made. Taking the hybrid X out and making it an H. We have decided that much. Smoother flowing pipe and we are saving all the connectors so it's factory but with a bigger diameter 2.5" and we are undecided on the axle backs and whether to weld in or just ball clamp it.
Sounds like you have already made your choice, and no longer need any suggestions!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi PowerWhee

You need to take a nice road trip to Johnson City Tennessee and do the Borla Factory tour. You will be surprised to see all of the different muffler products they produce. It is a huge factory and they do give a great tour. At least they did when My Corvette club went there a few years ago.

Ronnie
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sounds like you have already made your choice, and no longer need any suggestions!
That indeed! Now begins the update phase. As far as I know, no one has welded a custom exhaust in but I'm getting some maganflows on the medium scale or volume. All while savings about $1000 in bolt on stuff.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You need to take a nice road trip to Johnson City Tennessee and do the Borla Factory tour. You will be surprised to see all of the different muffler products they produce. It is a huge factory and they do give a great tour. At least they did when My Corvette club went there a few years ago. Ronnie
Borla is based here in southern California now. Your corvette was a 98? So that was what ten years ago?
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They have a huge Factory in Tennessee

It's in Johnson City and it is huge. The original Factory is still in California as far as I know. I'll see if I can find you some info.

Ronnie
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

http://youtu.be/3IKzLJJBtx8

The 40's on a cold start. No resonators, and roush tips. Btw roush tips are $65 a piece.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« Springs | Exhaust »