New to me gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
New to me gt?

Looking at a another 96, except its a cobra. Has 50k miles, vortech sc, and all the rest of the goodies for 9k. Seems like a good deal?
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Tellem 8
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yep get it for 8 but 9 is a good deal for that car. Anything prior to 99 just doesn't have a huge amount of value for some odd reason. The 96-98s I can sort of understand but not the 94/95 cars. W/E.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
That's some low mileage! Did you look at the carfax? Lol

Moved to appropriate section.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also run it really hard on the test drive and as soon as you get back to wherever you are going or pull over pop the hood and start sniffing around in there. I've found more than 1 car with coolant issues this way especially with a supercharger. A 5.0 I test drove they wanted $13k for it since it was a Roush with a professionally done S trim. This was back in the early 2000s. Poked my head in an STRONG coolant smell right from the rear driver's side. Told them I'd give them $6k because it had a blown head gasket and they got VERY upset. Oh well.

That's my cool story for the night.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
That's some low mileage! Did you look at the carfax? Lol Moved to appropriate section.
no car fax lol. There is always a ton of mustangs for sale in the Detroit area so there is plenty of competition. There are actually 2 right now that I'm interested in. There is also a 97 for 11k, same set up basically but dialed up a bit more at 527 rwhp, dyno sheets to prove it as well, 43k miles original owner. I'm currently Craigslist stalking them to make sure they don't get snatched up. Winter is coming here and they will both be ripe for an offer, but my bonus check from work is burning a hole in my pocket, lol.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

That one at 500+whp is a ticking time bomb unless they built the motor. The stock rods/pistons' safe limit is 400-425 rwhp as a good ballpark figure.

Also, get the numbered car for a variety of reasons. Just make sure they aren't boosting the **** out of that Cobra either. The 4V isn't any stronger than the 2V except for the 03/04 Cobras.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That one at 500+whp is a ticking time bomb unless they built the motor. The stock rods/pistons' safe limit is 400-425 rwhp as a good ballpark figure. Also, get the numbered car for a variety of reasons. Just make sure they aren't boosting the **** out of that Cobra either. The 4V isn't any stronger than the 2V except for the 03/04 Cobras.
Thanks, very good suggestions. Their both cobras don't remember if I mentioned that. The one with the 527 hp engine was professionally built by a local mustang shop called Alternative Performance, probably the best mustang shop in the metro detroit area. SC was added two years ago, after the engine build, engine build was done with the plans of adding The SC. The car has dropped in price from 13k around August when it was listed, the guy is buying a new house. I thumbed through the 3" thick binder at it appears that everything is in order on it. I took another guy from work who has been building mustangs for 20 years and he was very impressed with it. I would definitely want to take it for a real hard drive before I bought it. The seller is a little tentative about letting people drive it. But if I'm serious about it ill head back with a wad of cash and that should do the trick as far as letting us rip on it good. I am more leaning towards the 96, it also has its own documented story and binder, framed SVT plaque and even a leather coat to match it lol. The 96 is also built from the bottom up, I wish I could remember which blocks they were both using , info overload on both ill look it up. Each one has 12k plus into the drivetrain builds, over years of course and both are professionally built, one is a Ford executive (500+ hp cobra). The 96 is running at 424 rwhp as per the dyno sheets. Both very nice cars but like Scotty said the one with bigger hp could be a little scary.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm sure they are both using the Factory Teksid blocks, its easily the best Modular block and it came in all the 96-99 Cobras and a few 01s.

Honestly they both sound good. If the shops are local go talk to the shops and see if they have any more info on them.

$9k is going to be the way to go if the cars are so similar. If both built and both supercharged then the one making 424 could easily be cranked up with a smaller pulley.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm sure they are both using the Factory Teksid blocks, its easily the best Modular block and it came in all the 96-99 Cobras and a few 01s. Honestly they both sound good. If the shops are local go talk to the shops and see if they have any more info on them. $9k is going to be the way to go if the cars are so similar. If both built and both supercharged then the one making 424 could easily be cranked up with a smaller pulley.
Yeah that's what I have had read and have had suggested to me before from a couple buddies. I just left a message for the head builder/ owner at Alternative Performance today, he is the only one who touches them as far as tuning etc. He actually tuned both cars but built the 97 (527 HP), he may remember the 96 who knows. If I decided which one to take a stab at I would give them a deposit and take it to that shop. They will look them over and run some tests for 50 bucks, so the office manager told me today when I called. I'm definitely going to take my time and have all my bases covered as I'm overly analytical anyway, lol. I know my fair share about these cars but I've never had one with a SC. Just want to make sure it's right. Thanks for all the info and advice, I appreciate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion