V6 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Region: Texas
V6 2014

What kind of as is best for my mustang?
Cristo_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
HuH ???????

Or WHAT?????
or DUH????

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Haha Ronnie^

What do you mean by "as?"
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Blonde or Brunette?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Blonde or Brunette?
Definitely blonde
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
It is what it is as it was.

1972 Gran Torino 2 door coupe...sold

1965 Mustang coupe, 289 dual quad, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Ford Racing cam, Magnaflow exhaust, street-strip automatic....she's a screamer!
Retrokid63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrokid63 View Post
It is what it is as it was.
+1
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Region: Texas
Hahah i ment to put gas*
Cristo_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Lol blonde gas :p

But yeah our mustangs are made to run on 87. Its just a personal choice what octane you wanna go with. If you're going to get a tune, may be use 91 or 93? Just to utilise that extra bit. I get 91 and a fill up usually costs me around 56ish bucks give or take. 87 won't make too big of a difference $$ wise, may 3-4 bucks cheaper per fill up? - worth getting 91 imo
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Lol blonde gas :p

But yeah our mustangs are made to run on 87. Its just a personal choice what octane you wanna go with. If you're going to get a tune, may be use 91 or 93? Just to utilise that extra bit. I get 91 and a fill up usually costs me around 56ish bucks give or take. 87 won't make too big of a difference $$ wise, may 3-4 bucks cheaper per fill up? - worth getting 91 imo
I second that. And if you can get it, use only ethanol free gas. You will get better mpg & performance from ethanol free gas. It's also is better for your engine.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^+1. Only buy gas from top tier gasoline retailers. I personally use Shell V-Power. One thing to note though, the usage of ethanol in gasoline is determined by the gas station, not the brand.

TTG brands have more detergents than normal brands, which will clean your engine when burned and usually have little or no ethanol, which will burn more efficiently resulting in better MPG and performance.

Top Tier Gasoline
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
^True that! I use shell's V-power and my car seems quiet happy with it. However, in Blaine/Bellingham (WA), gas stations don't seem to carry ethanol free 92 for some reason. I'm from Vancouver (just half an hour away from the US border) and we do have it without ethanol - though it is usually around 5.60ish per gallon. Hence I make my trip across the border to get cheap gas lol
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I found using premium was worth 1+ mpg it is worth the $ for me. The cost per mile is the same and there MAY be slightly more HP. All calculations done with math.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I found using premium was worth 1+ mpg it is worth the $ for me. The cost per mile is the same and there MAY be slightly more HP. All calculations done with math.
I keep hearing that our knock sensors really don't adjust the timing to were it would make a difference which octane you run? Sure shell and chevron are better brand but whats the difference in running shell 87 instead of v-power?
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
You really benefit from it if you are tuned
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The ONLY difference I can see is

THE 87 DOES NOT COST AS MUCH

I tried 91 as well as 93 and found no difference at all in performance against the 87. All I have done to my car is a Magnaflow street axlebacks and an Airaid CAI. I do not have a tuner and I got an average of 23/25 MPG driving around town in traffic. I do not drive like I'm trying to save gas and just drive to enjoy driving.

If I ever do get a tuner I will have the engine tuned to use 93 octane but the way things are now I'm just sticking with the less expensive 87 octane gas. My car runs just as good on 87 as it does on the expensive 93.

Ronnie
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

I tried 91 as well as 93 and found no difference at all in performance against the 87. All I have done to my car is a Magnaflow street axlebacks and an Airaid CAI. I do not have a tuner and I got an average of 23/25 MPG driving around town in traffic. I do not drive like I'm trying to save gas and just drive to enjoy driving.

If I ever do get a tuner I will have the engine tuned to use 93 octane but the way things are now I'm just sticking with the less expensive 87 octane gas. My car runs just as good on 87 as it does on the expensive 93.

Ronnie
Thank you. This has been a question of mine since day one.
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Not tuned but I did the math.....ymmv. I will say I did the same experiment on my 06 Taco and it did NOT change mpg with the Stang it did.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Ronnie
I totally agree with Ronnie on this. I put 47K on my V6 using 87 octane, and never had any problems with the engine. For awhile, I did run 89, and then 93 octane for 5 tankfuls, and again, never saw any significant "seat of the pants" perfomance gains that made it worth its continued buying. So I went back to 87 octane.

I now run a tune set with 93 octane. A huge difference, but again, its the tune along with the higher octane requirement.

Yes, its true that the ECM will advance the timing when switching to a higher octane. However, in my experiences of majority highway driving, It was just not worth the added expense of the higher octane fuel for the minute amount of performance I really did not feel.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'll also +1 to the factory tune not being able to feel a difference with different octane ratings. Now if you're Mustang is tuned, you may be able to feel a slight difference between lower and higher octane gas, but I came to the conclusion it may still not be worth the money (from my own testing).

Below is a comparison of Shell (TTG) and RaceTrac (cheap gas) I made last month, and also the differences one will pay yearly with 87/89/93 octane gas. It may be slightly outdated, and I usually fill up around 13 gallons when I get gas every week.

---

*Shell, Sept. 25 2013*

87 -- 13gal x $3.199 = $41.59 /wk | $166.36 /mo | $1,996.32 /yr
89 -- 13gal x $3.439 = $44.71 /wk | $178.84 /mo | $2,146.08 /yr
93 -- 13gal x $3.619 = $47.05 /wk | $188.20 /mo | $2,258.40 /yr

87 vs 89* -- $12.48+ /mo, $149.76+ /yr
-
89 vs 93* -- $ 9.36+ /mo, $112.32+ /yr
87 vs 93* -- $21.84+ /mo, $262.08+ /yr

---
*RaceTrac, Sept. 25 2013*

87 -- 13gal x $3.159 = $41.07 /wk | $164.28 /mo | $1,971.36 /yr
89 -- 13gal x $3.359 = $43.67 /wk | $174.68 /mo | $2,096.16 /yr
93 -- 13gal x $3.559 = $46.27 /wk | $185.08 /mo | $2,220.96 /yr
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

^^^^#2 did you track mpg?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. I do know though I get more miles out of my tank when I use Shell versus RaceTrac. So cheap gas appears cheaper but in the long run may not be cheaper.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Nope. I do know though I get more miles out of my tank when I use Shell versus RaceTrac. So cheap gas appears cheaper but in the long run may not be cheaper.
Not only the great observations made by 2 Stangz logs, but also consider this: Shell and Mobile have additives that help keep the carbon deposits down, which keep the injectors and valve seats from carbon build up, which help to improve your mileage and engine health. The cheaper gases don't do this, so you'll need to either add a fuel cleaner additive to your gas tank every 5th time you fuel up, or have the injectors cleaned when the poor performance begins.

Great logs 2 Stangz!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Chevron has the absolute best cleaners

TECHRON You can get it in Chevron, Texaco or Gulf gas or can purchase it at any car parts store. Yes, Even Walmart.

Marathon gas uses "STP" which is very good at keeping things clean.

Bucko is correct when he says to not use the no name really inexpensive stations but not so much for the reason of not having cleaners but they rarely ever take proper care of their tanks and you end up with water and dirt in your car's fuel tank.

My friend that drives for Eagle that trucks gas to stations is the one that adds the additives to the gas as it goes into his truck. He also states that before going back for another load he may be sent to a crappy no name station to empty the truck if he still has gas after servicing his route.

All gas comes out of the same place. It is how it is stored and treated at the stations that are a huge problem.

I usually just get my gas at the Marathon or at Sam's Club ( Valaro) I never had a problem.

Ronnie
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
THE 87 DOES NOT COST AS MUCH I tried 91 as well as 93 and found no difference at all in performance against the 87. All I have done to my car is a Magnaflow street axlebacks and an Airaid CAI. I do not have a tuner and I got an average of 23/25 MPG driving around town in traffic. I do not drive like I'm trying to save gas and just drive to enjoy driving. If I ever do get a tuner I will have the engine tuned to use 93 octane but the way things are now I'm just sticking with the less expensive 87 octane gas. My car runs just as good on 87 as it does on the expensive 93. Ronnie
While it's true they don't cost as much, it depends on your location. Where I live, the difference between 87 and 93 is about 4-5 dollars a fill-up.
Even when I wasn't tuned, I felt like cleaner combustion justified the price. Even though I beat on my car, I try to make it last :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Even using Shell or Mobile (which also add TECHRON) to their fuels, I'll still buy a bottle or two of it from my parts store and add it to the tank once every three months for insurance. I've been doing this with my 2005 F150, and it has over 200K on it now; never had a fuel issue other than the fuel pump module controller.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've always been told to never add any additives to your gas tank. Is that directed towards the octane boosters?
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Ford's owners manual states that oil additives are not recommended, but I've not seen anything on fuel additives.

I've always added TECHRON to the tank, both on fillups using Shell or Mobile, plus an extra bottle every couple of months. It's the only additive I use, just to keep the intake and valves clean.

I once removed the throttle body from my F150 when I bought it (used) with 67K on it. It had a lot of carbon build up on the back side of the throttle body plate. I cleaned it, then began using the good gas (as mentioned) plus the TECHRON. I removed the throttle body when I reached the 145K mark, and the plate was clean.

I continue to do the same with the Mustang, except I have not removed the throttle body to inspect it yet. I'm close to 60K, so I'll be doing it soon just to check.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I totally agree with Bucko

I like to put in some "TECHRON" about every ten fill-ups. It don't cost much and it is not going to hurt a thing. It is only a good quality cleaner and will not harm the cats. It is not an octane booster and it is not a lubricant for the top end. It will only keep the injecters etc. clean.

Ronnie
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've used ARCO, Thrifty and USA gas for 46 years never a problem and I keep my cars longer than most.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Not only the great observations made by 2 Stangz logs, but also consider this: Shell and Mobile have additives that help keep the carbon deposits down, which keep the injectors and valve seats from carbon build up, which help to improve your mileage and engine health. The cheaper gases don't do this, so you'll need to either add a fuel cleaner additive to your gas tank every 5th time you fuel up, or have the injectors cleaned when the poor performance begins.

Great logs 2 Stangz!
Glad I could help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion