Need help to bring a 2014 Shelby GT500 down under... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Region: Australia
Need help to bring a 2014 Shelby GT500 down under...

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum, but have been visiting the threads every day since joining. I have always loved Mustangs and would love to buy and import a manual 2014 Shelby GT500 back into Australia. Has anyone had an import/export experience they can share or offer any advice? Does anyone know of a buy and export service in the States that you can recommend? The prices in Australia for an imported vehicle already converted to RHD are so amazingly high. So i'm looking to see if i can find a car and import it myself or through a service in the US. Im not sure how many Aussies are members of Mustang Evolution and not sure if this question has been asked before.

Is it best to talk directly to dealerships, is there a specific port they need to be shipped out from in the US back to Australia? The websites ask for postal codes and i'm not sure if buying on the East coast is better and cheaper to ship to Oz... Sorry i've got lots of questions in regards to how i can get one of these beasts in my hot little hands - without forking out about $250k here!!! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
PONYGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would talk to a dealer. Google is probably one of your best tools in this situation. And welcome to the site BTW
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

I have been on the Ford Website, but it keeps asking for a postal code. So i'm not sure which city to type in? Ive seen some amazing new cars online for sale as well as some with a few thousand kms.. I don't mind which one i go for, as long as i can get one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
1. Just use a random postal code to get price of your vehicle. For example, 98230.

2. I'd Google and look up companies that would be able to transport your car from states to Australia.

3. Go to Australia border agency /transport website to see how much you would be paying in taxes + duty (if any).

In my opinion, you're looking at around 100 grand for the whole. 65-70 grand for your Shelby, 5-8 thousand for the transport (since Australia is on the other side of the world). Oh and then taxes/duty when it lands in Australia.

I say save this 100 grand and move to US lol

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

This might help:

http://www.usatoaus.com/faq.html
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #5

LOL! i wish i could. Ive been over there twice on holiday and LOVED it!!!
$100k sounds like a lot i know, but these babies sell over here for around $200-250k.
So $100k is cheap to get one over here. Thanks so much for the info. Ive also been researching it today and have found a few companies who can do the import. I now know that Container shipping ports are located in Newark, Miami, Houston and Long Beach but RORO ports are in Baltimore, Jacksonville ,Galveston. RORO is cheaper supposedly than using a container, but i don't think i want people driving my car. Maybe i'm just weird? In Australia, we get slugged with a Luxury Car tax, plus goods and services tax and duty but it still works out cheaper than buying one finished over here. I am starting to look up some dealers - you guys are lucky over there. These beautiful cars are soooo cheap compared to over here.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYGRL View Post
LOL! i wish i could. Ive been over there twice on holiday and LOVED it!!!
$100k sounds like a lot i know, but these babies sell over here for around $200-250k.
So $100k is cheap to get one over here. Thanks so much for the info. Ive also been researching it today and have found a few companies who can do the import. I now know that Container shipping ports are located in Newark, Miami, Houston and Long Beach but RORO ports are in Baltimore, Jacksonville ,Galveston. RORO is cheaper supposedly than using a container, but i don't think i want people driving my car. Maybe i'm just weird? In Australia, we get slugged with a Luxury Car tax, plus goods and services tax and duty but it still works out cheaper than buying one finished over here. I am starting to look up some dealers - you guys are lucky over there. These beautiful cars are soooo cheap compared to over here.
Get an Aussie '02 cobra
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah for sure! Mustangs are true pieces of american automobile history; one of the few models that has been in production for over 5 decades! Besides everything else, you're gonna LOVE the rumble of your Shelby.

I dont really know too much about the shipping process, but id would definitely make a trip over to the US and do everything personally -purchase, add ons (cold air intake, after market exhaust and a tune would be like icing on the cake) if you want any, and shipping people.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

Hmmmm... yeah i want it customised. I had a ride in a 2013 GT premium a few weeks ago, it had an awesome exhaust but no cold air intake, but and it was the best sounding car i've heard. And that was it...i wanted one!!! Honestly i couldn't wipe the smile off my face!!!! Im a hoon, what can i say????
Old 10-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well then miss Shelby would be the best thing ever happened to you! Not just the exhaust sound, the cold air would make the rumbles even deeper; you just wouldn't wanna take your foot off the gas! Add to it: 'whoosh' of that supercharger. Oh man I'm drooling now..
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #10

Yep... That's pretty much the feeling i got. )))
BTW....How much can you haggle with the dealers on price on a GT500?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it should be 3-4 thousand from the price you see on fords website. That's pretty much their margin/profit. But it could be more since this is a Shelby and priced more than a gt.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #12

Thanks Bazinga11!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Get an Aussie '02 cobra
The '02's didn't really get a good wrap here in Australia. There are a few around, but the 2014 is such a beast!
I'll take as much hp as i can get!!! And then try not to get into too much trouble with the law. LOL.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

As much horsepower as you can eh, get the Shelby supersnake 1000 package then :p

Gotta send your car to Shelby's garage and they will notch the HP up to a 1000 from 662 it comes with
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #14

Ooooh....ok i'll bite. How much does that cost???
Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Shelbyamerican.com would give you exact pricing and all the features. 200,000 is what it says. Not worth going to them.

My suggestion: do your search for aftermarket performance shops in US. To get max horsepower, either a 4.0 ford racing supercharger or a twin turbo setup would be good.15-20, 000 bucks would make your car an absolute beast. And that would include all the necessary upgrades, and any exterior modifications you might want (looks wise).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131007_004215.png
Views:	114
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	131744
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #16

Ok. I'll start by trying to source a good deal first and go from there.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Around me. Shelby's are going for 10-20k over the listed price. Why you might ask. Dealer said because somebody will pay it.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Around me. Shelby's are going for 10-20k over the listed price. Why you might ask. Dealer said because somebody will pay it.
I was going to say. The new/last GT500s are going for MSRP or higher. You will not get one under MSRP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion