What kind of Tunes do you have?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What kind of Tunes do you have??

I'm looking to get a tune and I know that there are a lot for the 3.7 v6's now. all the bama tunes and stuff like that. I want to know which tunes you have and which you like the best for overall power and mpg?? Also wondering if the shift points will be really hard for an automatic?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
There's a thread on here somewhere with a dyno comparison of 3 different companies. 2011 Kona Blue did it. Hopefully he can chime in. The companies were MPT, BAMA, and Steeda.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
I'm looking to get a tune and I know that there are a lot for the 3.7 v6's now. all the bama tunes and stuff like that. I want to know which tunes you have and which you like the best for overall power and mpg?? Also wondering if the shift points will be really hard for an automatic?
Well I can't speak about mpt or steeda, but I'm running a bama tune and I can tell you it's a HUGE step up from the factory tune! Acceleration is much improved but what I really noticed was how smooth the power band is now. With the factory tune I would sometimes feel a slight fluctuation in power at WOT but its smooth as silk now with bama!!! I'm a manual so I can't say how much it firms up the shift points but I'm sure an auto guy will chime in any minute. If your seriously thinking of tuning, STOP and do it! The great thing about bama is I have free tunes for life, and I can always try another tune from mpt, Lund, steeda etc later and just pay the 75$ for one tune and add it to my tuner. Mpg has stayed the same or improved slightly but nothing drastic.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Well I can't speak about mpt or steeda, but I'm running a bama tune and I can tell you it's a HUGE step up from the factory tune! Acceleration is much improved but what I really noticed was how smooth the power band is now. With the factory tune I would sometimes feel a slight fluctuation in power at WOT but its smooth as silk now with bama!!! I'm a manual so I can't say how much it firms up the shift points but I'm sure an auto guy will chime in any minute. If your seriously thinking of tuning, STOP and do it! The great thing about bama is I have free tunes for life, and I can always try another tune from mpt, Lund, steeda etc later and just pay the 75$ for one tune and add it to my tuner. Mpg has stayed the same or improved slightly but nothing drastic.
Well steeda also has tunes for life now, so that is an option.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

Well steeda also has tunes for life now, so that is an option.
Its now just a matter of time before everyone follows suit.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
There's a thread on here somewhere with a dyno comparison of 3 different companies. 2011 Kona Blue did it. Hopefully he can chime in. The companies were MPT, BAMA, and Steeda.
As you rang bro! Lmao
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OP, I have an 11 V6 along with an automatic transmission. The factory shifts points are very sloppy and in fact my car would jerk forward many of times when slowly accelerating and the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd gears. The shift points for us auto stang bangers when tuning our cars are 1,000 times better than the factory shift points. When tuning the car your shift points are firmed up and it makes the car feel like a fine tuned performance vehicle.

I will only speak about the companies and tunes I have first hand knowledge about. I run a 91 Steeda tune. I run a 91 MPT Performance race tune. I run a 91 bama hybrid tune. Let me say that I first started out with AM and bama tunes. I then ordered an MPT tune because curiosity killed the cat. Last, a few weeks ago I pulled the trigger on Steeda tunes. Please note that I was never unhappy with American Muscle, bama tunes, however I wanted to see first hand and experience what other tuning companies were offering and the difference in power between each companies tunes.

Bama, MPT and Steeda are all amazing tuners that do great work and get power results. Customer service is great from all three companies. I would note that AM seems to have the fastest turn around time for getting tunes out but that comment is based upon my own personal experiences with them. AM is so fast , that a few weeks ago I ordered a tune to be reworked and no exaggeration less than 1 hour I had my new tune. No matter which above mentioned company you choose, you will get great customer service and a quality product.

Moving on to my results. Because there was so much talk about which tune provided the most power gains, I decided to see for myself. I had my car dyno and three separate runs done. Please note my car has the following mods that would effect dyno numbers:

Tune
Airraid CAI
BBK ceramic long tube headers
Off road mid pipe. (No cats)
Flowmaster force II axle back mufflers. (Debatable if that makes any more power)

The weather that dyno day was sunny and around 73 degrees. First dyno run was my 91 Steeda Tune which resulted in 289 rwhp and 274 rwtq.

Second Dyno run was my 91 MPT tune which resulted in 297 rwhp and 276 rwtq.

Third and final dyno run was my bama hybrid tune which resulted in 294 rwhp and 268 rwtq.

So the results for rwhp
1st: MPT
2nd: Bama
3rd: Steeda

Results for rwtq
1st: MPT
2nd: Steeda
3rd: Bama

As you can see, the power results were very close all comparable to each other. As far as shift points the tuning companies can make them as firm or as soft as you like. I personally prefer the firmer shifts and believe there better for ones transmission and will last longer.

AM and now Steeda offers free tunes for life which is a great thing for people who are in the beginning stages of modding

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-28-15-41-29-1.png
Views:	218
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	131807
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP, I have an 11 V6 along with an automatic transmission. The factory shifts points are very sloppy and in fact my car would jerk forward many of times when slowly accelerating and the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd gears. The shift points for us auto stang bangers when tuning our cars are 1,000 times better than the factory shift points. When tuning the car your shift points are firmed up and it makes the car feel like a fine tuned performance vehicle. I will only speak about the companies and tunes I have first hand knowledge about. I run a 91 Steeda tune. I run a 91 MPT Performance race tune. I run a 91 bama hybrid tune. Let me say that I first started out with AM and bama tunes. I then ordered an MPT tune because curiosity killed the cat. Last, a few weeks ago I pulled the trigger on Steeda tunes. Please note that I was never unhappy with American Muscle, bama tunes, however I wanted to see first hand and experience what other tuning companies were offering and the difference in power between each companies tunes. Bama, MPT and Steeda are all amazing tuners that do great work and get power results. Customer service is great from all three companies. I would note that AM seems to have the fastest turn around time for getting tunes out but that comment is based upon my own personal experiences with them. AM is so fast , that a few weeks ago I ordered a tune to be reworked and no exaggeration less than 1 hour I had my new tune. No matter which above mentioned company you choose, you will get great customer service and a quality product. Moving on to my results. Because there was so much talk about which tune provided the most power gains, I decided to see for myself. I had my car dyno and three separate runs done. Please note my car has the following mods that would effect dyno numbers: Tune Airraid CAI BBK ceramic long tube headers Off road mid pipe. (No cats) Flowmaster force II axle back mufflers. (Debatable if that makes any more power) The weather that dyno day was sunny and around 73 degrees. First dyno run was my 91 Steeda Tune which resulted in 289 rwhp and 274 rwtq. Second Dyno run was my 91 MPT tune which resulted in 297 rwhp and 276 rwtq. Third and final dyno run was my bama hybrid tune which resulted in 294 rwhp and 268 rwtq. So the results for rwhp 1st: MPT 2nd: Bama 3rd: Steeda Results for rwtq 1st: MPT 2nd: Steeda 3rd: Bama As you can see, the power results were very close all comparable to each other. As far as shift points the tuning companies can make them as firm or as soft as you like. I personally prefer the firmer shifts and believe there better for ones transmission and will last longer. AM and now Steeda offers free tunes for life which is a great thing for people who are in the beginning stages of modding
Thanks that is a big help. And what do you have your governor sat to?

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Thanks. I was wondering about mpg just didn't think to ask.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I've been wanting to get a tune but I'm afraid it will cancel my warranty.
Jlp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlp06 View Post
I've been wanting to get a tune but I'm afraid it will cancel my warranty.
And you would be correct....for the majority of warranty type claims. The Ford service departments are forgiving for most of the popular mods out there; CAI's, axle back exhaust, and certain suspension mods. These would void any warranty claims in their area, but the rest of the warranty on your vehicle would remain intact, as most have reported on these sites. There are some Ford dealerships however that "play by the rule book" and ANY modification can cause a void in your warranty. This is very rare, and usually the Mustang owner can take their warranty work to another Ford service department and get work done.

Tunes and tuners are a different story though. Most dealerships will void any drivetrain warranty if a tune was installed. Even if you flash the stock tune back in prior to having the car worked on, the new ECM's used report that a tune was installed, so no longer does that work, unless you find a Ford dealership that "looks the other way". Some here have reported that their dealership will still do warranty work on a tuned car. If that's the case, ask them for the dealerships name/address and have it serviced there if you have a tuned car and need warranty work done.

I waited until my 36K full warranty was expired before I went with a tune. I fugured if anything was going to happen with the drivetrain, it would have happened in that time frame.

I have the 93 octane MPT tune. Very happy with it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks that is a big help. And what do you have your governor sat to?

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Thanks. I was wondering about mpg just didn't think to ask.
As far as MPG's go, I am getting between 27 to 28 mpg highway and that's doing around 72 mph. As far as my speed governor, its disabled and set to travel as fast as she can go. Lol. I know it still pulls at 140 mph. Lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
And you would be correct....for the majority of warranty type claims. The Ford service departments are forgiving for most of the popular mods out there; CAI's, axle back exhaust, and certain suspension mods. These would void any warranty claims in their area, but the rest of the warranty on your vehicle would remain intact, as most have reported on these sites. There are some Ford dealerships however that "play by the rule book" and ANY modification can cause a void in your warranty. This is very rare, and usually the Mustang owner can take their warranty work to another Ford service department and get work done.

Tunes and tuners are a different story though. Most dealerships will void any drivetrain warranty if a tune was installed. Even if you flash the stock tune back in prior to having the car worked on, the new ECM's used report that a tune was installed, so no longer does that work, unless you find a Ford dealership that "looks the other way". Some here have reported that their dealership will still do warranty work on a tuned car. If that's the case, ask them for the dealerships name/address and have it serviced there if you have a tuned car and need warranty work done.

I waited until my 36K full warranty was expired before I went with a tune. I fugured if anything was going to happen with the drivetrain, it would have happened in that time frame.

I have the 93 octane MPT tune. Very happy with it.
I have to agree with my fellow stang banger here, lol just understand having your car tuned may cause issues for warranty work should you need said work done. If someone was highly concerned about keeping there warranty however really wanted a tune, I would recommend Steeda. Not that I have needed warranty work but its my understanding Steeda works directly with the Ford Corporation. Ford uses Steeda to tune certain vehicles and Steeda will work with Ford on your behalf should you need warranty work if its determined the Steeda tune caused the damage. That's not to take anything away from other tuning companies, however I think Steeda is the only one that works hand in hand with Ford.

My car has been tuned since its just had over 5k miles and not worried about warranty work. lol. My car hit the 3 year mark back a few days ago so the bumper to bumper warranty is gone now.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
As far as MPG's go, I am getting between 27 to 28 mpg highway and that's doing around 72 mph. As far as my speed governor, its disabled and set to travel as fast as she can go. Lol. I know it still pulls at 140 mph. Lol.
You've still got 2.73s? Or do you have a 1 piece driveshaft?

Because I got driveline vibration at 125, and I have 3.55s. Which means that magical 135 everyone talks about is with 3.31s
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
125 and vibration? If you do this often, I'd go for the one piece drive shaft. Since I don't see those speeds on the public roads, I've not gone the route of the one piece.

Should I get serious about tracking my Mustang, I'll shell out those bucks.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
125 and vibration? If you do this often, I'd go for the one piece drive shaft. Since I don't see those speeds on the public roads, I've not gone the route of the one piece. Should I get serious about tracking my Mustang, I'll shell out those bucks.
It was a one time thing. Wanted to see the limit with the new gears.
Up next for me is driveshaft, lpf turbo kit, and a Dyno tune.
This should be fun...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
You've still got 2.73s? Or do you have a 1 piece driveshaft?

Because I got driveline vibration at 125, and I have 3.55s. Which means that magical 135 everyone talks about is with 3.31s

I have 3:73 gears and an aluminum one piece driveshaft. I be styling bro. Lol
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have 3:73 gears and an aluminum one piece driveshaft. I be styling bro. Lol
Lol well I'll be getting the driveshaft relatively soon
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Quote:

The weather that dyno day was sunny and around 73 degrees. First dyno run was my 91 Steeda Tune which resulted in 289 rwhp and 274 rwtq.

Second Dyno run was my 91 MPT tune which resulted in 297 rwhp and 276 rwtq.

Third and final dyno run was my bama hybrid tune which resulted in 294 rwhp and 268 rwtq.

As you can see, the power results were very close all comparable to each other. As far as shift points the tuning companies can make them as firm or as soft as you like. I personally prefer the firmer shifts and believe there better for ones transmission and will last longer.

AM offers free tunes for life which is a great thing for people who are in the beginning stages of modding
When it comes to a custom tune for your Mustang, there's a ton of great options out there! As you can see Kona Blue did dyno testing with three of the best mustang tuners out there and had similar results. I don't think you can wrong with any of the leaders in custom tuning for Mustangs! I can definitely give you some information on how we write our tunes.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Like Kona blue also mentioned we offer free tunes for life. Anytime you add a new modification, want to datalog or would just like to try a new tune, just hit up the Bama team and they'll hook you up!

I hope this helps. Hit me up if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

How did you get a hybrid tune? I ordered a new set of tunes from bama a few days ago and was trying to get a hybrid tune but accidentally hit enter while filling out the comments at the bottom and before I could call bama(due to work) the new tunes had been emailed to me.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG2010 View Post
How did you get a hybrid tune? I ordered a new set of tunes from bama a few days ago and was trying to get a hybrid tune but accidentally hit enter while filling out the comments at the bottom and before I could call bama(due to work) the new tunes had been emailed to me.
I just called bama and requested the 91h tune. Have your tuner handy because the asked me a couple of questions along with the serial# on the back of the tuner and within a few minutes I received the email. Hope this helps. They also have a 93h I believe.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just called bama and requested the 91h tune. Have your tuner handy because the asked me a couple of questions along with the serial# on the back of the tuner and within a few minutes I received the email. Hope this helps. They also have a 93h I believe.
They do make 93 h
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm from Canada and the best I can't get in my area is 91 Unfortunately. I'd love to try 93 sometime.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm from Canada and the best I can't get in my area is 91 Unfortunately. I'd love to try 93 sometime.
You don't have a petro Canada near you with 94? In Montreal there are plenty of them but we also pay some of the highest gas prices in NA. Where you from?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Prince Edward Island. We have one spot with 94. But it's about a 2 hour drive from my place. Kinda far to go just to gas up. I've been searching around for awhile. Hoping someone closer will get it. I remember Saskatchewan having 93 at a few stations in Regina as well. Were just way behind in pei or something.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Prince Edward Island. We have one spot with 94. But it's about a 2 hour drive from my place. Kinda far to go just to gas up. I've been searching around for awhile. Hoping someone closer will get it. I remember Saskatchewan having 93 at a few stations in Regina as well. Were just way behind in pei or something.
PEI, very cool! I lived in Souris for a couple years when I was a wee Ladd. I Brought my family to visit a few years back to summerside and its still as beautiful as I remembered!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That's cool. About 45 mins farther west from Summerside is where I'm located. But I spend quite a bit of time in Summerside and Charlottetown showing off. Haha. Gotta make all them rice burners green with envy.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
First dyno run was my 91 Steeda Tune which resulted in 289 rwhp and 274 rwtq. Second Dyno run was my 91 MPT tune which resulted in 297 rwhp and 276 rwtq. Third and final dyno run was my bama hybrid tune which resulted in 294 rwhp and 268 rwtq.
2011 Kona Blue - thanks for posting your dyno chart. Is there any concern with the 17+ air/fuel ratio on one of the MPT runs? Any idea if that's a regular occurance at WOT? Thanks
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post

2011 Kona Blue - thanks for posting your dyno chart. Is there any concern with the 17+ air/fuel ratio on one of the MPT runs? Any idea if that's a regular occurance at WOT? Thanks
On that run the device fell off and he had to redo the run. Definitely don't want it that high. Lol.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They do make 93 h
What is the difference in the normal bama 93 race tune and bama 93 hybrid tune?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have BAMA and run a 91 Performance tune.
The Hybrid tune is a Mix of the Performance and Race from what I understand, Supposed to be the best of both worlds. I guess I should try it one of these days
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone done a test between the performance, hybrid, and race tune? I'd love to see a comparison.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I have BAMA and run a 91 Performance tune. The Hybrid tune is a Mix of the Performance and Race from what I understand, Supposed to be the best of both worlds. I guess I should try it one of these days
Why do you run the performance and not the race? I have the race 93 now. Haven't set it to the performance yet
Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why do you run the performance and not the race? I have the race 93 now. Haven't set it to the performance yet
I feel a loss of low end with the race tune in it, awesome top end but as a daily driver how often am I running around at 5,000 rpm and up.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I feel a loss of low end with the race tune in it, awesome top end but as a daily driver how often am I running around at 5,000 rpm and up.
So do you get better 0-60 in the performance?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Race is faster to 60, but Performance lets me go 60 in 6th on the freeway. We have rolling hills around here and with the race tune I would loose speed in 6th on some of the hills with the cruise on, performance holds it and can actually pick up speed.
Although I will say I have not had the race tune in since I put the headers on so it might be a little different now since it picked up torque in the low and mid range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion