96-98 PI vs 99-04 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
calebnaasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Demotte
Region: Indiana
Posts: 276
96-98 PI vs 99-04

Stupid question cuz I think I know the answer.

Will a 96-98 GT with PI swapped heads and intake beat a 99-04 gt?

Also does anyone have a link to a PI swap write up?

Thanks!
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post
Stupid question cuz I think I know the answer. Will a 96-98 GT with PI swapped heads and intake beat a 99-04 gt? Also does anyone have a link to a PI swap write up? Thanks!
That'll be up to the driver haha after the swap it's the same engine
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
That'll be up to the driver haha after the swap it's the same engine
Wrong.....96-98 with pi heads swap will push out a tid bit more than a 99-04 due to the raise in compression roughly 10.54:1 so instead of 260 more like 272hp or 275hp to the flywheel. Add intake and well if the 96-98 is a crappy driver then he/she should have a half car atleast on the track considering if the 99-04 is stock
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
calebnaasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Demotte
Region: Indiana
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Wrong.....96-98 with pi heads swap will push out a tid bit more than a 99-04 due to the raise in compression roughly 10.54:1 so instead of 260 more like 272hp or 275hp to the flywheel. Add intake and well if the 96-98 is a crappy driver then he/she should have a half car atleast on the track considering if the 99-04 is stock
Yeah I thought it would have more power cuz of the higher compression. Just checking!
Good Info man
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Tranny? Auto manual?
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Wrong.....96-98 with pi heads swap will push out a tid bit more than a 99-04 due to the raise in compression roughly 10.54:1 so instead of 260 more like 272hp or 275hp to the flywheel. Add intake and well if the 96-98 is a crappy driver then he/she should have a half car atleast on the track considering if the 99-04 is stock
Ohh ok I didn't know it raised compression a little bit, I always thought it was the same because I had a friend that had a 97 pi swap and he wouldn't be able to keep up with my other buddies 04 with an intake and exhaust
Maybe my buddy with the 97 just was a bad driver lol
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
calebnaasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Demotte
Region: Indiana
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Tranny? Auto manual?
Sadly auto
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
Ohh ok I didn't know it raised compression a little bit, I always thought it was the same because I had a friend that had a 97 pi swap and he wouldn't be able to keep up with my other buddies 04 with an intake and exhaust
Maybe my buddy with the 97 just was a bad driver lol
It truly depends on alot when you look into it. A 96-98 will get a bump in compression and produce a tad more power. Another factor is tranny whether its manual or auto it does make a difference in actual power to the ground. Manual will make more due to less drivetrain loss however an automatic will shift exact at all times. Still auto weighs more and another thing is if the vehicle is a coupe or a vert. Verts are heavier leading towards the power to weight ratio being greater on a manual coupe rather than a auto vert. It also depends on what modes the cars had. Or ...... crappy driver lol. Alot to consider into y someone could win or lose in track races (im saying track so i dont say street)

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post

Sadly auto
Auto isnt a bad thing. With gears an auto will eat a manual hands down. Autos are king when it comes to a straight line.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post

Sadly auto
Auto isnt a bad thing. With gears an auto will eat a manual hands down. Autos are king when it comes to a straight line.
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Exactly
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
It truly depends on alot when you look into it. A 96-98 will get a bump in compression and produce a tad more power. Another factor is tranny whether its manual or auto it does make a difference in actual power to the ground. Manual will make more due to less drivetrain loss however an automatic will shift exact at all times. Still auto weighs more and another thing is if the vehicle is a coupe or a vert. Verts are heavier leading towards the power to weight ratio being greater on a manual coupe rather than a auto vert. It also depends on what modes the cars had. Or ...... crappy driver lol. Alot to consider into y someone could win or lose in track races (im saying track so i dont say street) ---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ---------- Auto isnt a bad thing. With gears an auto will eat a manual hands down. Autos are king when it comes to a straight line. ---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ---------- Auto isnt a bad thing. With gears an auto will eat a manual hands down. Autos are king when it comes to a straight line.
Yeah that's true the weight does play a roll as well a tranny but both were 5 speed coupes I'm just assuming my buddy was not as a good as driver as my friend in the 04 haha but yeah it was at a set up event they went to Why does it raise the compression? Or should I ask how? I'm planning a build for my stang because it's got 177k on it and I'm debating do a full build or like just top end junk yard build

I've got an 03
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Well you could start now with a junkyard build. Or build a fresh one.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Well you could start now with a junkyard build. Or build a fresh one.
I was thinkin that route because I just want it to last till I get the money for my mach 1
I found an 03 motor with just under 80k for 800 bucks
I don't know if that's a good price haha but I can get a reman motor from work but that'll be expensive and idk if I get my discount
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Well the 96-98 raise compression cause when u swap the heads to 99-04 heads the deck height i believe if i remember gets smaller. For your 03 you already have pi heads and intake. The way to raise your compression is pistons or go back and use a 96-98 block with your current heads. Your years is when ford decided the stang needed a little pep to its step
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Well the 96-98 raise compression cause when u swap the heads to 99-04 heads the deck height i believe if i remember gets smaller. For your 03 you already have pi heads and intake. The way to raise your compression is pistons or go back and use a 96-98 block with your current heads. Your years is when ford decided the stang needed a little pep to its step
Ohh ok makes sense, maybe ill buy a 96-98 motor and get the PI kit and put it together at work with some buddies, It'll be easier to do here than at home since ill have every ford tool I'd need lol
The PI heads from AM are pretty cheap, I'm surprised how much they are. Ill look into getting heads from work also and maybe reman heads would be cheaper
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Get a Bullitt intake and you will be making roughly the same power, with an amazing power curve.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Twotone you already have pi heads. Hes right a bullit intake would do the same hp as a 96 with pi swap. If you wanna gain some power i would port and polish heads change valve springs and retainers to atleast run stage 2 cams. The heads on am im sure are the exact same as yours with maybe a little porting to make it flow well. You could do bolt ons with gears as well as tuner. But heed a warning while yes my year makes more power cause of a compression raise it doesnt help when you wanna push more boost on higher compression. Things tend to go bump in the night then. Your motor is set nicely to just add bolt ons with a power adder i.e. turbo or supercharger and tou will do fine. With mine and a pi swap im gonna eventually have to lower my compression to push as much boost as you could
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Get a Bullitt intake and you will be making roughly the same power, with an amazing power curve.
I'd love to but they're so dang expensive haha
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
I'd love to but they're so dang expensive haha
You can always port the stock intake
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
twotone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Twotone you already have pi heads. Hes right a bullit intake would do the same hp as a 96 with pi swap. If you wanna gain some power i would port and polish heads change valve springs and retainers to atleast run stage 2 cams. The heads on am im sure are the exact same as yours with maybe a little porting to make it flow well. You could do bolt ons with gears as well as tuner. But heed a warning while yes my year makes more power cause of a compression raise it doesnt help when you wanna push more boost on higher compression. Things tend to go bump in the night then. Your motor is set nicely to just add bolt ons with a power adder i.e. turbo or supercharger and tou will do fine. With mine and a pi swap im gonna eventually have to lower my compression to push as much boost as you could
I know I have the pi heads and the pink injectors and Blahblah but appreciate the info 👍 haha I was thinking about buying the new pi ones to add to the older block, but a power adder is not in mind right now. I'd like a nice peppy DD, I just never knew that the deck height was reduced when doing the pi swap. As for the stage two cams, I'd love it but gotta keep it Cali legal now. Moved to far from our buddy to get it "smogged" haha there's so many options to go with when it comes to building a motor, and I just learned more about the PI swap for the 96-98 so it got me thinking haha

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
You can always port the stock intake
very true haha but I'm afraid to do much to my current engine because if it blows before I got the cash to rebuild/buy another I'm screwed haha
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
I know I have the pi heads and the pink injectors and Blahblah but appreciate the info ddc4d haha I was thinking about buying the new pi ones to add to the older block, but a power adder is not in mind right now. I'd like a nice peppy DD, I just never knew that the deck height was reduced when doing the pi swap. As for the stage two cams, I'd love it but gotta keep it Cali legal now. Moved to far from our buddy to get it "smogged" haha there's so many options to go with when it comes to building a motor, and I just learned more about the PI swap for the 96-98 so it got me thinking haha
There are cams legal in Cali, just find out the name of them and then when it's time for smog tell them it's those ones. They aren't going to tear your motor apart.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
I want your pink injectors lol. Yes soccers right a stage one is perfectly fine research it you will see cali legal cams.
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Most cams will still let you pass the sniff test. It's the stupid visual testing and CARB stickers everything needs that fails most people.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:37 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.