Cold Air Intake sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Cold Air Intake sound

For those with cold air intakes, how much difference was there in sound? Noticeable? I know it's not great for power but neither are axlebacks so I'm wondering how the cold air I takes are sound-wise. Thanks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
For those with cold air intakes, how much difference was there in sound? Noticeable? I know it's not great for power but neither are axlebacks so I'm wondering how the cold air I takes are sound-wise. Thanks.
I installed an Airaid CAI (in preparation for a performance tune later on) and noticed no sound difference at all. But, I DID delete the cabin sound tube, which quieted her down indoors. Of course, my (later installed) axlebacks are so loud I couldn't hear intake sounds anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	132049  
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I installed a CAI on both my V6 and GTs and both made a tremendous difference in sound. I can't believe someone would not notice a difference. Maybe they just never WOT it.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
on my V6 it made a noticeable differance. There is more growl esp at high rpms and at low rpms in 1st and 2nd there is a bit of a whoosh/whistle. I like it and suggest them for this reason alone. I do recommend getting one used though. the sound was worth $150-200 not $350-400. Remember CAI's are for the driver & axle backs are for bystanders.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Yea my cai makes some great sound on my 5.0. I did the cai before I did my exhaust so I don't know what my car sounds like with exhaust and no cai.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I bought mine with exhaust and CAI already on it, so I can't tell you the difference. However when I let off at a high rpm the CAI sounds a little like a blow off valve, it's f'n awesome.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I bought sr's cai and every time I start my car I hear it, when I'm in low gears I hear it, when I turn off my car it is the best part! I have a v6. Hope this helps.
Doubledeee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Don't waste your money. Upgrade the shifter, gears, and exhaust. This will make a huge difference. I bought the CAI and will not do it again.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I wish I could help but I had my X-Pipe and Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust put on and then had the CAI put on. Not a chance to hear the difference. Sorry couldn't help you out.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Don't waste your money. Upgrade the shifter, gears, and exhaust. This will make a huge difference. I bought the CAI and will not do it again.
Ok I know it doesn't make that much power. I've already upgraded my exhaust and a short shifter. I also have 3.73 gears haha. That's why I'm asking about the sound. If I did go with a cai I'd get a tuner as well anyways.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The only time I can hear the louder sucking is when I watch my own exhaust videos while my car is in the garage..... All I hear inside the car is the music pipes.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion