New ride - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

I bought my 03 cobra at 22. It was $10/month more than my 02v6 that I had just sold. Single at the time, etc etc.
Nice! Not bad at all. How much u get ur cobra for? There's a Mach around here with like 90k or 11k price tag.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Unless a radical departure from the norm has happened, the absolute worst insurance demographic is single/male/under 25. As i got my GT a little bit past age 25 (cough), plus being married and having a multi-car discount, full coverage w/ SF is about $35/month. I highly doubt you'll get that rate as a standalone, i also doubt you'll see no change in your current rate. What i don't doubt is shopping around for something better if your current ins spikes. I was with Amica some years back, and they were noticeably cheaper than SF/Allstate/Progressive etc....if I may ask, what are you paying now?

Like with everything, YMMV lol

I also share your presumptions re: march mustang madness. These things have enormous power, and i dunno if you had to drive much in yesterdays tsunami lol but my azz was all over the place just trying to drive to the wet conditions. OK, bit of an exaggeration, but 1-2-3 was really feathering the gas to prevent constant fishtailing. Point is, some either get tired of trying to drive these things in bad weather, some have 'winter cars' lol. I can see why ppl trade them in. Not me, so nyahhh :p

Found a couple on autotrader...dunno what particulars you like other than black and GT lol:
http://tinyurl.com/omgaky7
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it, most people either don't respond or post really simple thoughts. With the current cars around me it looks like ill be waiting into the winter. Been pretty bad weather up here in denton tho so that might be good lol.

My insurance price I have no clue about. My mom takes care of it until I'm out of college. I was just going to pay the extra it would go up. I asked, she said she'd find out.

I like most colors, just not really white red or orange. I like the silver, mineral grey, screaming yellow, black, etc. Just looking for a nice clean car with not THAT many mods. Mods scare me because of abuse. Do you know much about verts? Are they that bad about leaking like everyone says? Would be nice to 'drop the top' and cruise in the fall/spring.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it, most people either don't respond or post really simple thoughts. With the current cars around me it looks like ill be waiting into the winter. Been pretty bad weather up here in denton tho so that might be good lol.
No worries bud. Since your story closely parallels mine, i just wanted to give some help. I don't always post here, but when i do, I prefer Dos Equis

Quote:
My insurance price I have no clue about. My mom takes care of it until I'm out of college. I was just going to pay the extra it would go up. I asked, she said she'd find out.
Yeah i kinda thought that based upon your answers but didnt want to presume that of you. Thats even better if you're on her/their insurance, benefits of multi-line discounts etc...Ride that train as LONG as you can bro!

Quote:
I like most colors, just not really white red or orange. I like the silver, mineral grey, screaming yellow, black, etc. Just looking for a nice clean car with not THAT many mods. Mods scare me because of abuse. Do you know much about verts? Are they that bad about leaking like everyone says? Would be nice to 'drop the top' and cruise in the fall/spring.
All i know about the verts is that I can't fit in them lol. Sat in an '03 and the top of the windshield was right smack in my line of sight (6'2"). Verts also have a weaker structural integrity, so be sure the doors close straight and true. Thing also with the mods is, if they're left on the car being sold then they're done with that mustang model altogether. Abused? Maybe, maybe not. If there's NO mods on it, the potential exists for those mods removed for a newer/fresher New Edge, and the stockers reinstalled. Guess what i'm saying is, either way there's some abuse potential.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No worries bud. Since your story closely parallels mine, i just wanted to give some help. I don't always post here, but when i do, I prefer Dos Equis

Yeah i kinda thought that based upon your answers but didnt want to presume that of you. Thats even better if you're on her/their insurance, benefits of multi-line discounts etc...Ride that train as LONG as you can bro!

All i know about the verts is that I can't fit in them lol. Sat in an '03 and the top of the windshield was right smack in my line of sight (6'2"). Verts also have a weaker structural integrity, so be sure the doors close straight and true. Thing also with the mods is, if they're left on the car being sold then they're done with that mustang model altogether. Abused? Maybe, maybe not. If there's NO mods on it, the potential exists for those mods removed for a newer/fresher New Edge, and the stockers reinstalled. Guess what i'm saying is, either way there's some abuse potential.
Whatcha think about this one?
http://www.dfwautosonline.com/mobile...ml?View=Photos

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whatcha think about this one?
DFW AUTOS LLC | 2003 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe
Looks clean, love the low miles for an '03, LOVE its a stick....price is a bit high for me, but then again you have a trade-in plus were looking to finance. I should think you'd be able to knock him down to 6500 + trade-in, but it's ultimately your decision.

On the surface, she looks good man!

If that doesn't work, there's a member whining all damn day about how much better the sixxers are over the GT's, I'll point him to this thread and maybe you two can work a trade or something. No promises or anything. He goes by the handle "mustangman705" but has been trolling lately like he's the reincarnation of the infamous "Fat Pony".

I'm sure im just asking to get a warning from staff, so be it....
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks clean, love the low miles for an '03, LOVE its a stick....price is a bit high for me, but then again you have a trade-in plus were looking to finance. I should think you'd be able to knock him down to 6500 + trade-in, but it's ultimately your decision. On the surface, she looks good man! If that doesn't work, there's a member whining all damn day about how much better the sixxers are over the GT's, I'll point him to this thread and maybe you two can work a trade or something. No promises or anything. He goes by the handle "mustangman705" but has been trolling lately like he's the reincarnation of the infamous "Fat Pony". I'm sure im just asking to get a warning from staff, so be it....
Haha lol +1
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks clean, love the low miles for an '03, LOVE its a stick....price is a bit high for me, but then again you have a trade-in plus were looking to finance. I should think you'd be able to knock him down to 6500 + trade-in, but it's ultimately your decision.

On the surface, she looks good man!

If that doesn't work, there's a member whining all damn day about how much better the sixxers are over the GT's, I'll point him to this thread and maybe you two can work a trade or something. No promises or anything. He goes by the handle "mustangman705" but has been trolling lately like he's the reincarnation of the infamous "Fat Pony".

I'm sure im just asking to get a warning from staff, so be it....
I thought it looked nice also. Thats price is the lowest ive seen for a decent car with under 100k believe it or not lol. Verts sort of scare me tho. It just adds extra expense and maintenance, but it would be awesome dropping the top. Leaks would be super annoying, besides a car wash, how do you even check for leaks in a vert?

Sixers have their place and are borderline quick, but I just want an upgrade. Mine has some mods so i wouldn't call my car 'slow'. It seems staff are more uptight then when I first joined these forums. I went Mia for a while and now they are on my nuts about my threads and things I haven't even seen some of the old mods I used to know. Meh.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

If it's the cheapest you've found, then it might be time to pull the trigger and GYSOT. Apart from the car wash idea, which could be a horrible way to test for leaks (your stuck in there, remember lol), just run a garden hose over it at low pressure or pour some water from a gallon jug, etc...

Just checked kbb in this area, and the dealer price is actually on par with vehicle condition. See if they can knock some off the top, cuz of them tires. Pics may be a bit grainy, but that drivers/front looks worn. Also, the pics are conspicuously missing shots of the drivers' seat, "that usual spot" wink wink. Honestly, it's all your call..what you wanna get and how soon kinda thing. If you're ready for it, go for it!

Good luck eh
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it's the cheapest you've found, then it might be time to pull the trigger and GYSOT. Apart from the car wash idea, which could be a horrible way to test for leaks (your stuck in there, remember lol), just run a garden hose over it at low pressure or pour some water from a gallon jug, etc...

Just checked kbb in this area, and the dealer price is actually on par with vehicle condition. See if they can knock some off the top, cuz of them tires. Pics may be a bit grainy, but that drivers/front looks worn. Also, the pics are conspicuously missing shots of the drivers' seat, "that usual spot" wink wink. Honestly, it's all your call..what you wanna get and how soon kinda thing. If you're ready for it, go for it!

Good luck eh
I'd that where people crash more? I didn't notice that. I much appreciate the help.. Always like opinions on stuff so it's not just me. You learn new things everyday from others.

The car doesn't have a carfax yet so I figured there's prolly a reason for that. Prolly why it's so cheap. Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd that where people crash more? I didn't notice that. I much appreciate the help.. Always like opinions on stuff so it's not just me. You learn new things everyday from others.

The car doesn't have a carfax yet so I figured there's prolly a reason for that. Prolly why it's so cheap. Lol
No worries bud. Like i said before, i've been there recently and this is one way to 'pay it forward' lol

Not 'where people crash more', i was meaning the seat gets really worn/cracked where the driver slides in/out. Jeans/belts/etc tend to dig into the material and weaken to the point of failure. It's gonna happen regardless, i'm suggesting using that as a point of negotiation. Unless you meant the tires lol in which case that could be an alignment prob, or the PO was doing some insane drifting heh.

I did a carfax on mine, 1 for 40 was stupid, so i did the 5 for 50. IMO the dealer should provide this info as a 'good faith' kinda practice, but some don't and that's their prerogative...Go the 5/50 route, got 60 days to use them all so if this '03 doesn't pan out then you have 4 more. I only needed the first one, so i 'traded' the other 4 back to the guy in exchange for some minor things on the pony lol. I suppose you could also 'sell' the unused others for like $10 each and recoup some cash....

Dunno that 8 grand for that car is cheap, just think the market has it's ebbs and flows. This car seems to have gotten your attention some....why not take her for a test drive?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Nice! Not bad at all. How much u get ur cobra for? There's a Mach around here with like 90k or 11k price tag.
In 07 I paid around 27k with 22k miles.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
In 07 I paid around 27k with 22k miles.
Holy lol ---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------
Quote:
No worries bud. Like i said before, i've been there recently and this is one way to 'pay it forward' lol Not 'where people crash more', i was meaning the seat gets really worn/cracked where the driver slides in/out. Jeans/belts/etc tend to dig into the material and weaken to the point of failure. It's gonna happen regardless, i'm suggesting using that as a point of negotiation. Unless you meant the tires lol in which case that could be an alignment prob, or the PO was doing some insane drifting heh. I did a carfax on mine, 1 for 40 was stupid, so i did the 5 for 50. IMO the dealer should provide this info as a 'good faith' kinda practice, but some don't and that's their prerogative...Go the 5/50 route, got 60 days to use them all so if this '03 doesn't pan out then you have 4 more. I only needed the first one, so i 'traded' the other 4 back to the guy in exchange for some minor things on the pony lol. I suppose you could also 'sell' the unused others for like $10 each and recoup some cash.... Dunno that 8 grand for that car is cheap, just think the market has it's ebbs and flows. This car seems to have gotten your attention some....why not take her for a test drive?
I may, it's just a little ways off and I work almost full time, the only time I could make it is Saturdays when I work half a day. That's if they stay open long enough on Saturday lol

It's funny cuz I think it's a good price when compared to others it's hella high. Idk why the stangs are going for so much right now around here.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...aler_id=925056

Here is another car, has 145k tho. It looks nice and in decent shape (the pictures were taken before detailed they said, so it looks dirtyish) and is a one owner. They said it was an older lady that just wanted to upgrade, she drove an average of 11k miles a year which is fairly low. Dealers said it's been inspected under, in, over, every where and is "leak free and in excellent mechanical condition". There's a point where the sale person side is kicking in i'm sure.. Just wondering thoughts on it, I'll prolly look at this one and test drive it along with that black one, they are both in ft worth.

In one of the pics you can see a red button to the left of the steering wheel.. wth is that?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...aler_id=925056 Here is another car, has 145k tho. It looks nice and in decent shape (the pictures were taken before detailed they said, so it looks dirtyish) and is a one owner. They said it was an older lady that just wanted to upgrade, she drove an average of 11k miles a year which is fairly low. Dealers said it's been inspected under, in, over, every where and is "leak free and in excellent mechanical condition". There's a point where the sale person side is kicking in i'm sure.. Just wondering thoughts on it, I'll prolly look at this one and test drive it along with that black one, they are both in ft worth. In one of the pics you can see a red button to the left of the steering wheel.. wth is that?
i like it! love that color . my bro bought his 01 with 165k on her for like 4500 and its still running strong with no problems.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
i like it! love that color . my bro bought his 01 with 165k on her for like 4500 and its still running strong with no problems.
How many miles it have on it now? And any idea on the red button? Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2001 Ford Mustang $6,995 - AutoNation Ford South Fort Worth - Fort Worth, TX 76119 Dealer

In one of the pics you can see a red button to the left of the steering wheel.. wth is that?
An aftermarket alarm system has been installed, that is the red LED to indicate the system is active/armed.
As for the car itself, looks clean enough from the pics although i think 7 grand is kinda high for that many miles. I'm also not buying their cover story about the "older lady wanting an upgrade"...PUH-LEEZE! IMO that's sales-speak for "this thing was rode hard and put away wet" and they're looking for a patsy to buy that thing with zero warranty. It may be the cynic in me, but I simply don't buy that line of BS. Congresscritters and car salesmen permanently occupy the top of the "Least Trustworthy Professions" list, so take their stories with a huge grain of salt. Demographically speaking, just how many older ladies drive a manual V8 anything? Ok, that was rhetorical too lol...

If you were to make an offer, i'd say 4 grand w/o your trade in (settle on price first, then bring up your trade), and hammer the salesman on winter/convertible/145k miles. That other one, the '03, was 60k less miles for a grand more than what they want for this '01. You are in control here, and not desperate for a car. Ergo, you have to maintain the attitude of "I can just as easily walk away from this deal". The salesman need to know that.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An aftermarket alarm system has been installed, that is the red LED to indicate the system is active/armed. As for the car itself, looks clean enough from the pics although i think 7 grand is kinda high for that many miles. I'm also not buying their cover story about the "older lady wanting an upgrade"...PUH-LEEZE! IMO that's sales-speak for "this thing was rode hard and put away wet" and they're looking for a patsy to buy that thing with zero warranty. It may be the cynic in me, but I simply don't buy that line of BS. Congresscritters and car salesmen permanently occupy the top of the "Least Trustworthy Professions" list, so take their stories with a huge grain of salt. Demographically speaking, just how many older ladies drive a manual V8 anything? Ok, that was rhetorical too lol... If you were to make an offer, i'd say 4 grand w/o your trade in (settle on price first, then bring up your trade), and hammer the salesman on winter/convertible/145k miles. That other one, the '03, was 60k less miles for a grand more than what they want for this '01. You are in control here, and not desperate for a car. Ergo, you have to maintain the attitude of "I can just as easily walk away from this deal". The salesman need to know that.
+1!
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An aftermarket alarm system has been installed, that is the red LED to indicate the system is active/armed. As for the car itself, looks clean enough from the pics although i think 7 grand is kinda high for that many miles. I'm also not buying their cover story about the "older lady wanting an upgrade"...PUH-LEEZE! IMO that's sales-speak for "this thing was rode hard and put away wet" and they're looking for a patsy to buy that thing with zero warranty. It may be the cynic in me, but I simply don't buy that line of BS. Congresscritters and car salesmen permanently occupy the top of the "Least Trustworthy Professions" list, so take their stories with a huge grain of salt. Demographically speaking, just how many older ladies drive a manual V8 anything? Ok, that was rhetorical too lol... If you were to make an offer, i'd say 4 grand w/o your trade in (settle on price first, then bring up your trade), and hammer the salesman on winter/convertible/145k miles. That other one, the '03, was 60k less miles for a grand more than what they want for this '01. You are in control here, and not desperate for a car. Ergo, you have to maintain the attitude of "I can just as easily walk away from this deal". The salesman need to know that.
The only reason that I might have believed the old lady excuse is because of the car fax, the 1 owner took care of it, it seems. I thought 7k was high also or that many miles. The other one with 60k less doesn't have a carfax, which is the only thing scaring me. I know car salesmen are snakes lol, I doubt they'd drop to 4k tho, that's really low. The extra alarm system is surprising tho, I guess it's for it being a vert?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only reason that I might have believed the old lady excuse is because of the car fax, the 1 owner took care of it, it seems. I thought 7k was high also or that many miles. The other one with 60k less doesn't have a carfax, which is the only thing scaring me. I know car salesmen are snakes lol, I doubt they'd drop to 4k tho, that's really low. The extra alarm system is surprising tho, I guess it's for it being a vert?
The 1 owner is a huge plus, and that fact isn't lost on me, it's the "Little Old Lady" story that stretches credulity lol. Even if the '03 doesn't have a carfax report offered to you by the dealer, they indicate a clean carfax & title, plus it's only 40 bucks for it so it's not like you have to find out who shot JFK or anything...4k is low, but the logic in buying is "start low, negotiate, buy a little higher".

You're a smart guy and i certainly don't wish to insult your intelligence, I'm only trying to clarify my position on the '01. I still think that there's several thousand to move on with their price, and the 3 main points are (1) wintertime in texas; (2) Convertible in said wintertime (hello ice storms and freezing rain); and (3) nearly 150 thousand miles, regardless of previous ownership.

It would be an interesting case-study to see how you could negotiate with BOTH parties, and see where they make their final sales stand. I'm willing to bet you can get that lower-mileage '03 for a few hundy more than the '01. Presuming of course, a better deal doesn't manifest itself

As for the aftermarket alarm system, our rides have a passive system, this would be an active one with blaring klaxons etc...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Newest update is this nice car. http://iphone.patlobbcdjr.com/index....54bc50_p_2Ehtm I believe the only draw backs to this one (so far) is the cloth interior, and no Mach audio system. Other than that the car looks awesome. Whatcha think? I also noticed this car doesn't have traction control which sucks. Does it not having traction control matter that much?

I definitely agree on the 01. I wasn't that happy with it, but I think the nice and good salesmen made me like it a little better. I just don't want that many miles tbh. 03 was a much better deal

Also, my ins is 56 a month

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Newest update is this nice car. http://iphone.patlobbcdjr.com/index....54bc50_p_2Ehtm I believe the only draw backs to this one (so far) is the cloth interior, and no Mach audio system. Other than that the car looks awesome. Whatcha think? I also noticed this car doesn't have traction control which sucks. Does it not having traction control matter that much? I definitely agree on the 01. I wasn't that happy with it, but I think the nice and good salesmen made me like it a little better. I just don't want that many miles tbh. 03 was a much better deal
those seats are from a deluxe gt which is worth more than a premium gt that comes with leather. i wish i had those seats im sick of leather :/, but im not a fan of bannana yellow tho. but looks like a clean gt none the less

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
those seats are from a deluxe gt which is worth more than a premium gt that comes with leather. i wish i had those seats im sick of leather :/, but im not a fan of bannana yellow tho. but looks like a clean gt none the less
That's so weird that cloth seats are higher than leather. Hm. I am biased to banana yellow tho

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Newest update is this nice car.....I believe the only draw backs to this one (so far) is the cloth interior, and no Mach audio system. Other than that the car looks awesome. Whatcha think? I also noticed this car doesn't have traction control which sucks. Does it not having traction control matter that much?

I definitely agree on the 01. I wasn't that happy with it, but I think the nice and good salesmen made me like it a little better. I just don't want that many miles tbh. 03 was a much better deal

Also, my ins is 56 a month
Like that one the best outta the 3

Bright-asss yellow ain't my first choice either lol, but a big +1 that thing looks clean.

EDIT: was gonna say, your sig says "black and yellow..." which means adding some strategic bits of black to this V8 banana would be sweet
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like that one the best outta the 3

Bright-asss yellow ain't my first choice either lol, but a big +1 that thing looks clean.

EDIT: was gonna say, your sig says "black and yellow..." which means adding some strategic bits of black to this V8 banana would be sweet
Alright so I went to test drive the yellow v8, and to my disappointment the paint was screwed. The past owners obviously neglected to not let it sun rot. The paint had tiny cracks in it and there was several places it was severely faded. I figured the price was too good to be true lol. That's why it was 2k under the KBB. There was a few tears in the back on the drivers seat, and the clutch was hard to push in which meant it's death was soon (it was doing the same exact thing my car was before I got the (flywheel?) changed in the clutch).

My biggest question, what would be a reasonable offer, should I bother? The clutch was very "hoppy" or "jumpy". That's honestly the best way I can describe it, the car would jump up when barely letting the clutch out, which my car isn't like that. On my car you can gradually let the clutch out while pushing the gas in, on this car it literally went from clutch to your own rpm/gas in a split of a split second lol, so the car would "hop" everytime you let the clutch out. The only way my v6 hops like that is if I pop the clutch. Would this be due to the clutch going out? Or is it due to the extra power and torque of the v8 that i'm not used to? Trans shifted nice and smooth, there was a noise here or there in it but I think it was just me being paranoid (a 10 year old car has noises, period). I look forward to reading your post lol. Thanks

On a positive note, I literally couldn't hold my smile in when driving this car. From a distance of 5-10 ft or more it was beautiful, and hella fast. When pressing the pedal a smile immediately appeared on my face, even tho i was disappointed with the condition of the exterior. It was great. My heart tells me I want it, but my mind is saying probably not. In the harshest way I could put it to myself.. Do I want to go into debt for this car? I told myself nah, I wouldn't be 100% happy with it.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On a positive note, I literally couldn't hold my smile in when driving this car. From a distance of 5-10 ft or more it was beautiful, and hella fast. When pressing the pedal a smile immediately appeared on my face, even tho i was disappointed with the condition of the exterior. It was great. My heart tells me I want it, but my mind is saying probably not. In the harshest way I could put it to myself.. Do I want to go into debt for this car? I told myself nah, I wouldn't be 100% happy with it.
Hahaha i felt the exact same way. While you have minor paint issues, mine are far worse by way of comparison. One of the PO's (I am #5) had a dog that loved this car something fierce! Scratches abound, along both doors and the front fascia, rear intact. Having used that as a bargaining chip for a sizeable price reduction, I learned to look past it. After all, scratches don't make it go any slower lol. I've priced it out since then, and can do everything but the repainting for about $700. The bad alternator ran another hundy, but all that was driving the sale price down. I may not have been 100% happy with the purchase, but still enjoy the 90% that i do have

I'd found in all my searching that 10+ years is a lot for any car to live thru, and to take it all in stride. Wish i didn't have all these scratches, but i've learned to live with it. I can't make a decision like that for you, what's good for this goose may not be good for the gander. If you like the car, then the only opinion that matters is yours.

As for the matter of the clutch, I have no functional expertise in this area. I could hazard a few guesses, but would really do you a disservice. I can't imagine that there's a catastrophic problem with it, hopefully someone with far greater knowledge can chime in and help.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha i felt the exact same way. While you have minor paint issues, mine are far worse by way of comparison. One of the PO's (I am #5) had a dog that loved this car something fierce! Scratches abound, along both doors and the front fascia, rear intact. Having used that as a bargaining chip for a sizeable price reduction, I learned to look past it. After all, scratches don't make it go any slower lol. I've priced it out since then, and can do everything but the repainting for about $700. The bad alternator ran another hundy, but all that was driving the sale price down. I may not have been 100% happy with the purchase, but still enjoy the 90% that i do have I'd found in all my searching that 10+ years is a lot for any car to live thru, and to take it all in stride. Wish i didn't have all these scratches, but i've learned to live with it. I can't make a decision like that for you, what's good for this goose may not be good for the gander. If you like the car, then the only opinion that matters is yours. As for the matter of the clutch, I have no functional expertise in this area. I could hazard a few guesses, but would really do you a disservice. I can't imagine that there's a catastrophic problem with it, hopefully someone with far greater knowledge can chime in and help.
The price is what bothers me, being 8k, with not much room to move as he says, then he offers me a charger or challenger (lol)

It would take 2k-3k to get it in good condition. Which I won't have if I throw 8 grand at it.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
The price is what bothers me, being 8k, with not much room to move as he says, then he offers me a charger or challenger (lol) It would take 2k-3k to get it in good condition. Which I won't have if I throw 8 grand at it.
I got my '02 GT with 90k miles in excellent mechanical condition and interior and exterior in great shape. Also came with cobra front and rear body, aftermarket 18" wheels and good tires.. And a handheld tuner. Other than that stock. And I paid $7400.

And I felt I was overpaying a bit but it didn't matter to me in the long run. And GT with bad paint and such should not be worth $8k. Period.

As far as that clutch being jumpy does it also squeal when you engage it? If so you might have a couple issues dealing with your pilot and throw out bearing. However this means the clutch could last until tomorrow or for the next few years. I had a bunch of chatter on my clutch for about a year before I started the huge rebuild I'm in the middle of.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The price is what bothers me, being 8k, with not much room to move as he says, then he offers me a charger or challenger (lol)

It would take 2k-3k to get it in good condition. Which I won't have if I throw 8 grand at it.
To the car salesman, there never is "not much room to move" lol. I found some old info when i bought mine last year, dealer had it priced at $6800 (before all the taxes and fees etc) but with the condition of the paint I negotiated him down to about $5600. After all the extraneous fees attached to buying a car from a dealership, it was $6200 even (which, oddly enuff, was the price I was negotiating. I didn't want to get 'surprised' by the taxes/fees so he reversed-mathed the price down to $5600-ish lol).

To get Mellow Yellow there fixed up in good condition will require some clutch work, minor interior repair, and exterior. If the paint is that bad then there's no way she's worth 8k.

Pretty much two choices before you: Sale price under 6k, or walk.

I do, however, like how this car search is progressing. Can ya feel it? Making good headway, brother!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I got my '02 GT with 90k miles in excellent mechanical condition and interior and exterior in great shape. Also came with cobra front and rear body, aftermarket 18" wheels and good tires.. And a handheld tuner. Other than that stock. And I paid $7400. And I felt I was overpaying a bit but it didn't matter to me in the long run. And GT with bad paint and such should not be worth $8k. Period. As far as that clutch being jumpy does it also squeal when you engage it? If so you might have a couple issues dealing with your pilot and throw out bearing. However this means the clutch could last until tomorrow or for the next few years. I had a bunch of chatter on my clutch for about a year before I started the huge rebuild I'm in the middle of.
I wasn't really hearing any squealing. It just engaged to the matter way faster than my v6. Such a short amount of time that it would jump because you couldn't match it with gas in time.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To the car salesman, there never is "not much room to move" lol. I found some old info when i bought mine last year, dealer had it priced at $6800 (before all the taxes and fees etc) but with the condition of the paint I negotiated him down to about $5600. After all the extraneous fees attached to buying a car from a dealership, it was $6200 even (which, oddly enuff, was the price I was negotiating. I didn't want to get 'surprised' by the taxes/fees so he reversed-mathed the price down to $5600-ish lol). To get Mellow Yellow there fixed up in good condition will require some clutch work, minor interior repair, and exterior. If the paint is that bad then there's no way she's worth 8k. Pretty much two choices before you: Sale price under 6k, or walk. I do, however, like how this car search is progressing. Can ya feel it? Making good headway, brother!
Yeah I understand that there isn't ever room to move, what made me think it might be possible is caused he offered me the other cars to purchase lol. I want to feel like it's coming along, but I don't think it is. I am hearing everyone getting their gt's for 5-7k with 100k or less miles and I'm just like.. Where? Lol mustangs are so overpriced around here or something. That yellow one would have been sold for 10-11k if it wasn't for the paint and stuff. It's been around for a couple weeks to a month but one of the car salesmen never replied so I figured it was bought immediately. I think I know why it wasn't lol.

53$ for liability on my car atm.. Wouldn't full coverage on a GT be like 200+? If so that's outrageous...

So out a offer in for 5k and see what happens?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

It's always darkest before the dawn lol, progress is being made and you're a smarter consumer than when you first started.

Yup, agreed that Yellow is still around cuz of that high price tag. Using that 8k as a frame of reference, how does Red grab ya?

I dunno what your insurance will go up to, but quadrupling the price from liability to full doesn't seem right. I can see it between 2x-3x but not 4x. Of course, I'm not in the insurance industry lolz

I think for what known issues the Yellow has, 5k for it BEFORE your trade-in seems a fair offer, all things considered. Presuming, of course, that a better deal cannot be found. I think it can. During my 3 months of searching, I kept seeing the same '01 with 177k on the clock for (get ready) 4 grand! Frikkin tore up man, and still wanted 4k. Yeah, nah. Kept on searching, test drove a gorgeous mineral grey '04 but dude wanted 8k for that and i had no trade. His financing rates (5k down, btw) had me paying $280 month for 18 months. Lemme think about it, NO.

You'll find the right car at the right price, end of story. It's all about the positive attitude, and suppressing the eagerness to jump at the first GT. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and all that

EDIT: And 3 minutes later, here's this (no pics yet):
http://tinyurl.com/okzultm
Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah like others have said it'll come in time. You can't jump on an offer if you completely don't like it because in the end it's your money and taste and if your not completely satisfied then why buy it. Both my brother and I were looking for cars for college. Sucked, we'd drive around in a Ram 1500 that was straight piped for about 3 months. Was a bit ugly but come on we looked weird and everybody thought we were ******s. We finally miraculously found a deal from a guy across town. A stock 02 black V6 with 120k miles flawless interior looked brand new, engine wise was maintained very well paint was a bit faded but cause hed never waxed it and was a 10+ year car. And he also had a 02 GT vert with 80k miles decent aftermarket rims maintained extremely good paint was on point and same engine and interior were flawless. Best part was we paper rock scissored for choice (Lol), I ended up with the V6 for only $3000 including taxes and everything and my brother got the GT for total of $5000. We had found our babies after such a long time searching and for a good deal we were more than satisfied. And that my friends is how we came into the Mustang game.[COLOR="Silver"]
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's always darkest before the dawn lol, progress is being made and you're a smarter consumer than when you first started.

Yup, agreed that Yellow is still around cuz of that high price tag. Using that 8k as a frame of reference, how does Red grab ya?

I dunno what your insurance will go up to, but quadrupling the price from liability to full doesn't seem right. I can see it between 2x-3x but not 4x. Of course, I'm not in the insurance industry lolz

I think for what known issues the Yellow has, 5k for it BEFORE your trade-in seems a fair offer, all things considered. Presuming, of course, that a better deal cannot be found. I think it can. During my 3 months of searching, I kept seeing the same '01 with 177k on the clock for (get ready) 4 grand! Frikkin tore up man, and still wanted 4k. Yeah, nah. Kept on searching, test drove a gorgeous mineral grey '04 but dude wanted 8k for that and i had no trade. His financing rates (5k down, btw) had me paying $280 month for 18 months. Lemme think about it, NO.

You'll find the right car at the right price, end of story. It's all about the positive attitude, and suppressing the eagerness to jump at the first GT. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and all that

EDIT: And 3 minutes later, here's this (no pics yet):
Red isn't my favorite color, and it raises insurance (then again so does yellow probably lol). That financing is rough for sure tho, especially considering i can get a 5k loan for about 240 a month for a 24 month, so I guess that's kinda close. I work for a bank so I might be able to get even less due to the rate being lower. My mom wants me to save cash for a new car, but that would take over a year and I don't wanna wait that long, my 99 mustang I have now is old lol. I think that's why I am persistent, hesitant, and eager to jump into a GT.

Thanks for the link, I REALLY appreciate you helping me to the point of even looking at cars for me, hopefully you see exactly what I'm seeing - High priced, high mileage mustangs, everywhere. I have seen that car before, i'm skeptical that it hasn't been bought yet. I did some research on them before, and that dealer had limited reviews, but the ones available said don't buy from them, they buy cars from auctions that have frame damage, but have a clean carfax. They then pawn the car off on you. Who knows, I might contact them on it, I don't mind silver (black goes nice with it). I am scared of a lot of factors tho, I'm probably overly paranoid.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke02 View Post
Yeah like others have said it'll come in time. You can't jump on an offer if you completely don't like it because in the end it's your money and taste and if your not completely satisfied then why buy it. Both my brother and I were looking for cars for college. Sucked, we'd drive around in a Ram 1500 that was straight piped for about 3 months. Was a bit ugly but come on we looked weird and everybody thought we were ******s. We finally miraculously found a deal from a guy across town. A stock 02 black V6 with 120k miles flawless interior looked brand new, engine wise was maintained very well paint was a bit faded but cause hed never waxed it and was a 10+ year car. And he also had a 02 GT vert with 80k miles decent aftermarket rims maintained extremely good paint was on point and same engine and interior were flawless. Best part was we paper rock scissored for choice (Lol), I ended up with the V6 for only $3000 including taxes and everything and my brother got the GT for total of $5000. We had found our babies after such a long time searching and for a good deal we were more than satisfied. And that my friends is how we came into the Mustang game.[COLOR="Silver"]
That's a sweet price for the GT.. Did you pay cash? I figure so since that's pretty cheap. Wish I could find a deal like that lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

That's a sweet price for the GT.. Did you pay cash? I figure so since that's pretty cheap. Wish I could find a deal like that lol
Yeah we both paid cash we put down 500 and took the keys of the v6 just Incase and he even did all the dmv work and switch and everything. We just waited for the titles and registration and all then we paid the restand brought the cars home.
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion