Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Springs

Can stock springs from a 94-98 v6 or gt fit on my 03 v6. I went to my local junk yard and all they had were 94-98 models. I am planning to cut the springs to make my car lower. But I don't want to risk cutting my springs wrong. I want to cut other springs first.
PiojoA7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Smart man.

I believe that the springs are the same.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The springs are the same but are progressive rate. Do not cut progressive rate springs, your ride will become ****. Either get after markets or 03/04 cobras fronts,or bullitt springs. Also if you have a gt, v6 springs can give you a slight drop since they are rated for a lighter vehicle.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
The springs are the same but are progressive rate. Do not cut progressive rate springs, your ride will become ****. Either get after markets or 03/04 cobras fronts,or bullitt springs. Also if you have a gt, v6 springs can give you a slight drop since they are rated for a lighter vehicle.
Stock springs are linear...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Stock springs are linear...
I think you are mistaken. Might want to do some research on which models received them.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
Old 10-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you are mistaken. Might want to do some research on which models received them.
Naw.
I don't feel like doing any "research".
I'm going to leave it up to you to prove me wrong...

I'm absolutely, 100% positive that the springs on my Bullitt are linear...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Naw. I don't feel like doing any "research". I'm going to leave it up to you to prove me wrong... I'm absolutely, 100% positive that the springs on my Bullitt are linear...
As mentioned in my first post I listed bullitts as an alternative spring that he can use. Stock v6's and 8's do not come with constant rate springs. Bullitts are a collectors mustang and received different parts. You still should do research and "actually read " what it says, might learn something.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As mentioned in my first post I listed bullitts as an alternative spring that he can use. Stock v6's and 8's do not come with constant rate springs. Bullitts are a collectors mustang and received different parts. You still should do research and "actually read " what it says, might learn something.
Alright Rosco.
You got me looking at springs.
I've already found that I've received some wrong information on this website.
Like V8s and V6s have different spring rates, which, I suspected but was "corrected" on. Not much difference but still different.
I can only find detailed information on the "collector" car springs, as far as linear or progressive...
I'm tempted to drive around and find one and look.
Point me in the right direction Rosco...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
stock are linear..I have cut over 10 stock sets.. they are not progressive. god I wish they were they would be the best oem springs ever. op I always cut 1.25 could of the front and 1 coil off the rear. I also remove the isolators but that is personal preference. honestly they don't do anything. some may hear the occasional squeak without them but normally that's after a rain. if you would like pictures of cut setups let me know. or check my suspension sticky

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
stock are linear..I have cut over 10 stock sets.. they are not progressive. god I wish they were they would be the best oem springs ever. op I always cut 1.25 could of the front and 1 coil off the rear. I also remove the isolators but that is personal preference. honestly they don't do anything. some may hear the occasional squeak without them but normally that's after a rain. if you would like pictures of cut setups let me know. or check my suspension sticky
You corrected me on this before...

I believe that a retraction is due Rosco...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

eh I don't need a retraction...I just don't want op missing out due to it lol.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
eh I don't need a retraction...I just don't want op missing out due to it lol.
Oh, I'm sorry Slo...
I didn't mean a retraction for you.

I meant retraction for ME...

Where'd you go Rosco?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As mentioned in my first post I listed bullitts as an alternative spring he can use. Stock v6's and 8's do not come with constant rate springs. Bullitts are a collectors mustang and received different parts. You still should do research and "actually read " what it says, might learn something.
please try to keep the attitude in check when talking to people. it's ok to think something different, but no need to come off so brash.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry Slo... I didn't mean a retraction for you. I meant retraction for ME... Where'd you go Rosco?
Still believe your both off. I can't find the link that listed most of the build details for sn-95 mustangs including springs. Manufacturers typically use progressive springs because they produce a softer ride, and the average mustang owner doesn't care for corner carving, and prefers a grocery getter ride. When I changed my springs out I went with 03 cobras because mine are progressive. You can cut any spring, doesn't matter if it progressive. Check out svtp, they probably have some good info on the subject if you want to prove me wrong.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry but you are backwards... if a person wants a corner carver a progressive is best. they stiffen under load so they make excellent auto x and road course springs.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are backwards... if a person wants a corner carver a progressive is best. they stiffen under load so they make excellent auto x and road course springs.
I think that's a huge disadvantage. Your going to increase roll and dive because a portion of the spring is a softer rate, meaning you will have some slop of soft rate before they stiffen up.
Here's one link with build specs
http://poisnus.com/files/mustanginfo/mustang_info1.html
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I can tell you don't compete do you lol

Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think I've ever met a serious auto x driver who isn't running progressive springs or coil overs. now for drag the stock linear springs are great. especially off of a 4 banger.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

[
I've done all of the research that I'm going to do on this tonight.
There's very little info on the stock specs for these springs as far as linear or progressive... If you find a link, be sure to post it.
As far as the difference between the two, some like progressive, some like linear.
I'm happy with the way that my linear springs are working out. I run a stock car in a street prepared class and it's surprisingly competitive.
I have a set of progressive springs but I think I'm going to stay with the linear. I may move up to a stiffer rate in the front though.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

look into raceland coil overs stray. they are my next purchase since the autox season is wrapping up ..at least in tn

Old 10-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you send me some pics of the cut setup cause I have never done it. Thanks
PiojoA7x is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion