muffler or no muffler that is the question.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
muffler or no muffler that is the question..

So ive always heard taking off your mufflers would be bad for you hp and low end and gas mileage. Ive got an 07 gt with MAC axle backs. Normally it says after I fill up with gas 268-275 miles until empty and 16-19 mpg. Well I got bored and decided to remove the MAC'S and run stock h-pipe with cats and turndowns. Not only have I gained more power but a whole lot better mpg. Without mufflers after fill up it says 317 miles till empty and im getting average 19-23 mpg. Is it normal for this tonhappen amd for the mufflers to make it feel like that much of a power loss?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Those stock mufflers are heavy as heck. Not sure the weight of each, but I would guess 30 pounds each? That is 60 less pounds and can potentially knock off .1 of a quarter mile if ya' took your spare tire out too. I took off my stock cats and stock mufflers and average 23.4 mpg city with a 5 speed.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yea mines a 5 speed I had a profile pic but now its not ahowing dont know why maybe I did it wrong but the MAC mufflers were on it when I got it theyre not stock are they?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAKIDD7 View Post
Yea mines a 5 speed I had a profile pic but now its not ahowing dont know why maybe I did it wrong but the MAC mufflers were on it when I got it theyre not stock are they?
It's not bad... Just louder and less weight, more free flowing..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion