Motorcraft Transmission Fluid or Royal Purple Fluid - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Motorcraft Transmission Fluid or Royal Purple Fluid

So my pony currently has 29k miles and fast approaching the 30k mark in the upcoming months. I will be getting a transmission flush on my automatic and undecided which transmission fluid provides the best protection. Should I go with Royal Purple transmission fluid which is almost twice the cost or stick with Motorcraft Transmission fluid.

Please keep in mind that I plan on getting full transmission flushes every 30,000 miles or there about so with that in mind does it even matter if its Royal Purple or Motorcraft.

What are the benefits to using RP ATF over Motorcraft ATF?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So my pony currently has 29k miles and fast approaching the 30k mark in the upcoming months. I will be getting a transmission flush on my automatic and undecided which transmission fluid provides the best protection. Should I go with Royal Purple transmission fluid which is almost twice the cost or stick with Motorcraft Transmission fluid.

Please keep in mind that I plan on getting full transmission flushes every 30,000 miles or there about so with that in mind does it even matter if its Royal Purple or Motorcraft.

What are the benefits to using RP ATF over Motorcraft ATF?
I recently put royal purple manual trams fluid in mine and it shifts tons better than the old fluid that was in there but then again that's a manual. If you are pretty set on flushing fluid every 30k miles than why not go with the cheaper motorcraft and see how it runs from there? Seeing as royal purple is twice as expensive trust me I know, 120$ for 1 tranny fluid change. Gets pretty expensive especially if your changing fluid as often as you intend to. Love royal purple but I'd try motorcraft to start with. You can always change later down the road of ur not satisfied.
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post

I recently put royal purple manual trams fluid in mine and it shifts tons better than the old fluid that was in there but then again that's a manual. If you are pretty set on flushing fluid every 30k miles than why not go with the cheaper motorcraft and see how it runs from there? Seeing as royal purple is twice as expensive trust me I know, 120$ for 1 tranny fluid change. Gets pretty expensive especially if your changing fluid as often as you intend to. Love royal purple but I'd try motorcraft to start with. You can always change later down the road of ur not satisfied.
So, just wondering because I'm always looking for peoples input and knowledge but is 30k not good milage to get the trans flush. I have been told the secret too a long lasting transmission for automatics like myself is to get a trans flush around 30k miles. I was told waiting too long can actually cause issues should you change the trans fluids at say 80k for the first time.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

So, just wondering because I'm always looking for peoples input and knowledge but is 30k not good milage to get the trans flush. I have been told the secret too a long lasting transmission for automatics like myself is to get a trans flush around 30k miles. I was told waiting too long can actually cause issues should you change the trans fluids at say 80k for the first time.
I'm no pro on this but in my car manual it says change first 90k miles whether that's the best option or not is beyond me
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Will it hurt anything to swith to a synthetic at 65000 miles if its always been standard?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post

I'm no pro on this but in my car manual it says change first 90k miles whether that's the best option or not is beyond me
I'm no pro either bro but 90k miles seems really high for a first time transmission flush especially for an automatic transmission like mine. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
I've been driving Fords that I bought new for over forty years now. The factory manual will not steer you wrong. Current models no longer require the 30K mile fluid changes that were once the norm. So many products advertise superior performance but do nothing more than get you hard-earned bucks. Go with Motorcraft parts and products at the scheduled intervals and you will be pleased. There are recommendations for hard service applications.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I've been driving Fords that I bought new for over forty years now. The factory manual will not steer you wrong. Current models no longer require the 30K mile fluid changes that were once the norm. So many products advertise superior performance but do nothing more than get you hard-earned bucks. Go with Motorcraft parts and products at the scheduled intervals and you will be pleased. There are recommendations for hard service applications.
I think the recommended transmission flush for the 11 plus models are around 100k miles which honestly seems way too long for a first time trans flush. Lol.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:28 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.