What should i pay for and learning stick question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What should i pay for and learning stick question.

Okay well today I went to the dealership ready to buy a 5.0 and saw this preowned blue metallic base with 700 miles on it. They had their systems down so they told me they wanted me to buy their car, so they lended it to me for the night and to return back tomorrow. I've never learned how to drive stick until now ( actually I drove one time at my friend's car but only for a ill bit so I could know at least something). Tomorrow their systems will be back on and so they can start negotiating with me. How much should I try to get the car for? I mean it's "preowned" so their value has to go down. I'm still new to driving stick so i keep stalling (new to stick) , my only problem is to get it going to 1st gear and From there I have no problem going through the other gears.... My question is will I damage the car if I keep messing up? I'm getting used to it tho I'm getting better and better, but I still have a lot to learn from...
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Back in 1995 I got a hell of a deal on a BMW 325. The only problem was it was a manual shift & I had no idea how to drive it. I was 18 still living at home so I had my Dad drive it back for me. The next morning when I woke up I noticed he took my other car to work. I had an 8am class and a note on the table. "Don't be late for class, the one in the middle is the brake." LOL I remember it like it was yesterday. By the time I got to school, I had it figured out.

Sadly, driving a manual shift is becoming a lost art.

You are not going to mess it up, it will take a lot of abuse. You'll have it figured out way before then. Just make sure you practice taking off on hills, you don't want to roll back and hit someone.
SixBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just start off super slow in 1st gear, eventually you will figure out how much gas to give it when you let the clutch out at a certain speed. It will just come naturally. And by stalling it you will not damage the car in anyway.... You will however damage the car if you try putting it in gear when the clutch is not all the way to the floor, that's grinding gears.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Need more info on the car to give you a price.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Okay well today I went to the dealership ready to buy a 5.0 and saw this preowned blue metallic base with 700 miles on it. They had their systems down so they told me they wanted me to buy their car, so they lended it to me for the night and to return back tomorrow. I've never learned how to drive stick until now ( actually I drove one time at my friend's car but only for a ill bit so I could know at least something). Tomorrow their systems will be back on and so they can start negotiating with me. How much should I try to get the car for? I mean it's "preowned" so their value has to go down. I'm still new to driving stick so i keep stalling (new to stick) , my only problem is to get it going to 1st gear and From there I have no problem going through the other gears.... My question is will I damage the car if I keep messing up? I'm getting used to it tho I'm getting better and better, but I still have a lot to learn from...
Just wondering, if it's a 2013 or 2014, if it was a the owner of the dealership, kid's car?

What are all the extras on it?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 2014 gt I just took it for a spin and I have to admit I'm getting better at it. I just need to be faster in shifting cuz I take for ever to launch in the start. Any tips guys? I really want to get a manual. I'll put the website of the car... And the only options are 3.73 gear ratio. What should be a reasonable price? Like I said it's a preowned car so it should cost a couple of thousands less?http://www.payneautogroup.com/Certif...GT/vd/17150436
Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a 2014 gt I just took it for a spin and I have to admit I'm getting better at it. I just need to be faster in shifting cuz I take for ever to launch in the start. Any tips guys? I really want to get a manual. I'll put the website of the car... And the only options are 3.73 gear ratio. What should be a reasonable price? Like I said it's a preowned car so it should cost a couple of thousands less?http://www.payneautogroup.com/Certif...GT/vd/17150436
$26-28k
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Road Trip!

This is how you learn stick:

You need to learn how to use the clutch.

On a flat even surface put you car in 1st with the clutch pushed in all the way

SLOWLY start letting go of the clutch while in 1st

At a certain point as you lift the clutch the car will move on its own without you having to push the gas

It will shake a little too

This point is where the clutch "engages"

And this is also the point where you should be giving it gas .

Play with the clutch and gas pedals to get used to it
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What better way to learn stick than on a car you might possibly not buy?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
I did the exact same thing. Couldnt drive a manual and I bought a 2011 gt500. I had to get the dealership to teach me for an hour so I could drive it home. I practiced clutch engagement in my parking lot and I was fine the next day. A gt500 is alot easier to learn on though, because it has so much power that when you engage the clutch, you don't need to give it gas for it to start moving without shaking. This helped me on hills.

The 13-14 has hill assist, so you should be fine once you learn the clutch. When I got my 14 I had to relearn how to drive it because the clutch was way softer than the gt500.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I did the exact same thing. Couldnt drive a manual and I bought a 2011 gt500. I had to get the dealership to teach me for an hour so I could drive it home. I practiced clutch engagement in my parking lot and I was fine the next day. A gt500 is alot easier to learn on though, because it has so much power that when you engage the clutch, you don't need to give it gas for it to start moving without shaking. This helped me on hills. The 13-14 has hill assist, so you should be fine once you learn the clutch. When I got my 14 I had to relearn how to drive it because the clutch was way softer than the gt500.
Even tho they have hill assist, the car still go backwards for a sec I'm just scared to bump into someone. I had to tell a friend to teach me how to drive it too, because I kept stalling. I had a challenger and an charger peel out on me, I was like "wow I just had this car for a day and people already trying to race me" even tho I know the 5.0 is faster. Now that I kept practicing how to drive I don't stall anymore but take forever to launch in the start. I'm going to go to the dealership today and hopefully I'll negotiate To get a good deal and if not I'll just keep looking until I find one.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Also, they said that they were going to charge me 400 or 500 for the stripes it already has and 800 for the "aftermarket" wheels which are the stock ones but just painted in black.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Haha funny story!

When I drove my 5-speed cars, people LOVED getting on my *** on hills.

So I would let the car roll back on purpose just enough to scare drivers behind me & have them back the f up lol

Also on hills sometimes I would stay completely still by just using the clutch and the gas and never having to push the brake 😁
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07
Also, they said that they were going to charge me 400 or 500 for the stripes it already has and 800 for the "aftermarket" wheels which are the stock ones but just painted in black.
I'd tell them to take the stripes off and find a set of factory wheels. They'd rather sell the car as is than spend money changing things.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Haha funny story! When I drove my 5-speed cars, people LOVED getting on my *** on hills. So I would let the car roll back on purpose just enough to scare drivers behind me & have them back the f up lol Also on hills sometimes I would stay completely still by just using the clutch and the gas and never having to push the brake dde01
Lol some people get really close to me on a hill, and im just too scared to crash into them so I let them pass me.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I'd tell them to take the stripes off and find a set of factory wheels. They'd rather sell the car as is than spend money changing things.
That's what I'll tell them, I can just spent that money on something I want and like. They just add it so they can sell it faster
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
When you or I bring a car in for trade, the dealership never takes into consideration all the mods you have done. They are basically getting the MUDs for nothing... So for them to charge you for these options is BS. If they tried to pull that I'd tell them I was going someplace that actually wants to sell cars.

Sounds like your doing just fine on your clutch skills. The hardest part is not stalling it. Once you figure that out your golden. Soon enough you'll be banging through gears like it was second nature.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

After a week or so of driving stick you will forget how to drive an auto.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yea, the next time you get in an auto your left foot will be looking for the clutch before you turn the key.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That's so true...
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Not trying to steal his thread but I'm learning how to drive stick and my friend basically just lets it stall when parking. Is that ok or should I park the car in 1st or neutral since I've seen people park both ways
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Not trying to steal his thread but I'm learning how to drive stick and my friend basically just lets it stall when parking. Is that ok or should I park the car in 1st or neutral since I've seen people park both ways
Not ok! Lol
It's not hard to just put it in neutral lol

Unless he turns it off normally and THEN leaves it in 1st. Which IS ok lol
Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Screw that. My wife has worked in the car business for 20 years, trust me they are just after your wallet on that. Tell them you don't want the stripes or the "aftermarket" wheels and that can take them off or eat the cost in the deal. Get the deal YOU want. Don't fall in love with the car and let them get you. There are thousands of other Mustangs out there.
SixBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You'll get the hang of it soon and then you'll be the one peeling out and don't worry, I stalled like 30 times in the 1st week and everything is still ok... hopefully you get a good price and all!
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
What better way to learn stick than on a car you might possibly not buy?
Haha +1
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBang View Post

Screw that. My wife has worked in the car business for 20 years, trust me they are just after your wallet on that. Tell them you don't want the stripes or the "aftermarket" wheels and that can take them off or eat the cost in the deal. Get the deal YOU want. Don't fall in love with the car and let them get you. There are thousands of other Mustangs out there.
The best thing you can do is walk away from a deal... They will beg you to come back and give you what you want. That's how I got the boss lol
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

The best thing you can do is walk away from a deal... They will beg you to come back and give you what you want. That's how I got the boss lol
True. They already let him drive that car, so they know they have a deal and are hanging fresh meat out on a stick. Give them a reasonable offer you feel comfortable with paying for the car, and see what they say. If they decline it then tell them that you appreciate their time and walk away. I got my 2012 5.0 in 2012 with almost 7k miles on it for 28k. Fully loaded premium gts that were new were 10k more than that with 7k less miles. I haggled them down from 32k, and it took me two solid weeks of being a price prude to do it lol.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

True. They already let him drive that car, so they know they have a deal and are hanging fresh meat out on a stick. Give them a reasonable offer you feel comfortable with paying for the car, and see what they say. If they decline it then tell them that you appreciate their time and walk away. I got my 2012 5.0 in 2012 with almost 7k miles on it for 28k. Fully loaded premium gts that were new were 10k more than that with 7k less miles. I haggled them down from 32k, and it took me two solid weeks of being a price prude to do it lol.
I haggled them for two days on the red 5.0 I was one signature away from and then they threw the boss on the table and I haggled for an hour or so to get them where I wanted them. I feel I stole the car lol
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Man you guys make it look easy, yesterday I was "trying to negotiate" and they tried to sell me that preowned mustang for 31k that's the same value as a new one, Idc if it has 700 miles it's still considered "used". Here's my situation, I've never buyed a car from a dealership and I'm still young, (I'm 21) so I guess they are trying to screw me over. The guy never told me for how much he could sell me the car, he just kept asking.... what I could afford in monthly payments and be comfortable. Although, I still kept insisting that I wanted to get a good deal that's why I wanted to know for how much I could get it for..... And here's is for what they were trying to sell it for..... 31k for the base model and 8k in interest, total is.... 39k!! Hell no I'm not spending that on the base model and even tho I'm giving 9k downpayment
Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Uh yeah that's way too much dude. My car was 31.8k brand new. Plus it's a premium. They always ask what you can do monthly, that's what they asked me. It worked out for me though. I told them my max and that's what I got it for. Dealership before tried to sell me a base GT for 3k more and screwed me over on the apr %. If it doesn't work out, shop around.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
Uh yeah that's way too much dude. My car was 31.8k brand new. Plus it's a premium. They always ask what you can do monthly, that's what they asked me. It worked out for me though. I told them my max and that's what I got it for. Dealership before tried to sell me a base GT for 3k more and screwed me over on the apr %. If it doesn't work out, shop around.
Yeah man that's what I'm trying to do. They are trying to sell me a premium now, From what I see..... They want to sell me a car no matter what. I wish I could get a premium and lower it for 31k like you did but let's see what they tell me. If not I'll just keep looking for deals, I don't want to get screwed and later on regret having it
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Yeah man that's what I'm trying to do. They are trying to sell me a premium now, From what I see..... They want to sell me a car no matter what. I wish I could get a premium and lower it for 31k like you did but let's see what they tell me. If not I'll just keep looking for deals, I don't want to get screwed and later on regret having it
Dude, if you can wait until the 15 is released you'll save a bunch..yea it may be a little more used..but it's still going to be a beast.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Dude, if you can wait until the 15 is released you'll save a bunch..yea it may be a little more used..but it's still going to be a beast.
True, and they do the monthly thing so they can add sh1t on that you don't need or know about. Ask for final price and insist on a lower interest rate of possible but that up to your credit. I got a 1.9 on my boss used. My first car was like a 12.9 lol
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

True, and they do the monthly thing so they can add sh1t on that you don't need or know about. Ask for final price and insist on a lower interest rate of possible but that up to your credit. I got a 1.9 on my boss used. My first car was like a 12.9 lol
My first car loan was 14.9% by myself.. Ouch! And my 5.0 is 1.9% and I earned my credit score with the 14.9% loan.

And OP, it sound like they are trying to destroy you for a used car that's 31k! Local brand new premium gts that are 14 model with recaros and brembos are going for 34k with no miles.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
If you have a 700 score or above, you can basically get 2 percent anywhere. It just requires the loan to value to be at or under 100 percent and sometimes it takes a little more effort from the finance manager. If the op got a bad interest rate with putting 9k down, he has bad credit.

Buy a new car and youll qualify for fords first time buyer program which is like 5 percent no matter what your score is. That plus the rebates will most likely get you a better deal than you were offered. Thats what I did with my first car.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lol thread derailed. As for stick, with gears you often will not stall in 1st. I can just let the clutch out in mine and it'll pull itself along just like an auto in the parking lot, I don't even touch the gas when I'm pulling out of a parking spot in 1st. Just let the clutch out slowly and confuse ppl at work who know its stick.

And as for the money topic. I will never have a car payment again. Buy cash and buy used, deals are out there. For $9k you can get a VERY nice edge if you look and then save on insurance/interest and put what you would spend in car payments each month to mods.

Yes the new 5.0 is a beast but like $400-$500/mo... no way in hell. I think slow4v got his Mach for $10k. That's what I would look for. Or a terminator if you are going to finance. Buy a mint one for $20k and then put the $9k into mods to put you in the 600+whp range.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion