CAI? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
CAI?

without a tune, is it worth it?
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Not really
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
okay, well i also read on some other pages not here that the CAI itself will void the warranty?

would that be true i didn't assume it was something that could cause some damage.
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
okay, well i also read on some other pages not here that the CAI itself will void the warranty? would that be true i didn't assume it was something that could cause some damage.
i don't know why it would void warranty but then again almost anything can so I'm not 100% sure on that
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If Ford decides to "go by the book", any modification could void a warranty. Most service advisors and technitions are car buffs, and understand that certain mods do not harm other areas of a drivetrain, and therefore work with the owner on certain mods.

As to the original question, a CAI by itself is good for producing ender the hood engine noise, and they look pretty. Other then that, by themselves they produce little if any real HP/TQ gains. Add a tuner amd an exhaust, and the rules change.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
If your talking power gains from the CAI then no its not worth it without a tune. Looks and noise wise, that's an opinion only you can answer.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have the Airaid and no tune

I bought it because it looks great when I pop the hood open.

I have found that it does increase the throttle response.
It also sounds really,really great when I stomp on the gas pedal.

It may or may not help at the high RPM but unless your actually racing "WHO CARES?

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I sort of regretted the intake.
It's nice show piece
Too bad I'm giving it away :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I sort of regretted the intake.
It's nice show piece
Too bad I'm giving it away :p
Unless you have a tune and full exhaust system, the CAI won't do much for power gains.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
okay, well i also read on some other pages not here that the CAI itself will void the warranty?

would that be true i didn't assume it was something that could cause some damage.
I had warranty work done on my Mustang last week and I have a CAI+Tune; there were no issues when it came to getting the work done.

But if you want a CAI that is worth anything then Yes the tune matters. If you have no tune then its just a noise maker.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post

I had warranty work done on my Mustang last week and I have a CAI+Tune; there were no issues when it came to getting the work done.

But if you want a CAI that is worth anything then Yes the tune matters. If you have no tune then its just a noise maker.
What type of warranty work did you have done?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You got that 100% right

A GREAT NOISEMAKER
Ronnie
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A GREAT NOISEMAKER
Ronnie
That sucking sound of the air does sound freaking awesome. Hearing it at WOT really gets the juices flowing to the ole sack. Really breathes life into the little fellow. Lmao
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Unless you have a tune and full exhaust system, the CAI won't do much for power gains.
I was going to get shorties by that'd be useless
Because turbo in 3 months.
Which also renders the CAI useless
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was going to get shorties by that'd be useless
Because turbo in 3 months.
Which also renders the CAI useless
For the turbo, those would be useless and in fact do the compete opposite of how the turbo works its best. You want pressure in the engine and exhaust with a turbo set up. The CAI and Headers work with a super charger best..
Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For the turbo, those would be useless and in fact do the compete opposite of how the turbo works its best. You want pressure in the engine and exhaust with a turbo set up. The CAI and Headers work with a super charger best..
It replaces my entire exhaust....
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Let us know how you like it when you put it on.

I don't think I have heard of anyone on our 3.7 Forum ever saying they have a Turbo on their Mustang. It would be good to let us all know the ease of installation and how it helps your car perform.
Come to think of it :; I have not seen a 3.7 Mustang at any of the car shows or cruise in's or even at the Drag strip that had a Turbo on it.
I suggest you stop eating, drinking, going to the movies or any other thing except save up so you can get that Turbo installed faster.
Ronnie
Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thumbs up I think it's worth it!

I just installed an Airaid CAI knowing about the lack of power gains. I simply love it, period!! That's why it's a pre-curser to the axle backs, tune, and gears I'll be getting down the road in the near future. I like to build mods on top of mods in a progressive layer. Each getting better as I go. I say go for it and have fun with it and screw the nay sayers. This Mustang has been a long time coming for me, all my life, and I'm gonna have all the friggin' fun with it that I can afford. Whoo-hoo
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I just installed an Airaid CAI knowing about the lack of power gains. I simply love it, period!! That's why it's a pre-curser to the axle backs, tune, and gears I'll be getting down the road in the near future. I like to build mods on top of mods in a progressive layer. Each getting better as I go. I say go for it and have fun with it and screw the nay sayers. This Mustang has been a long time coming for me, all my life, and I'm gonna have all the friggin' fun with it that I can afford. Whoo-hoo
Now that's what I'm talking about bro. Just do it. I love my CAI.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Now that's what I'm talking about bro. Just do it. I love my CAI.
That's right, F-in-A
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Mustang Dawg

You sure got an attitude. And it is the right one

That's the fun of having a Mustang. You can find at least ten million things to do to it to make it yours.

Ronnie
Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's the fun of having a Mustang. You can find at least ten million things to do to it to make it yours.

Ronnie
^ Oh yeah, The most modded and changed car on the planet.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:

Ronnie
That's all cool, don't mean nothin' by it, just havin' fun with it
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

That's all cool, don't mean nothin' by it, just havin' fun with it
Darn right your having fun with it. That's the whole idea behind a mustang. To have fun and enjoy the heck out of it. Every time I drive my pony I have a smile..I love hearing the engine roar, the exhaust while accelerating, the feel of the gears shifting.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Darn right your having fun with it. That's the whole idea behind a mustang. To have fun and enjoy the heck out of it. Every time I drive my pony I have a smile..I love hearing the engine roar, the exhaust while accelerating, the feel of the gears shifting.
+1.....just do what makes you happy.
Hiram2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think I have heard of anyone on our 3.7 Forum ever saying they have a Turbo on their Mustang. It would be good to let us all know the ease of installation and how it helps your car perform. Come to think of it :; I have not seen a 3.7 Mustang at any of the car shows or cruise in's or even at the Drag strip that had a Turbo on it. I suggest you stop eating, drinking, going to the movies or any other thing except save up so you can get that Turbo installed faster. Ronnie
Thanks!
I've put a 2500 deposit on it, I'm saving up for the rest.
I shoul have it in by December, but I'm still going to need a driveshaft and I need to be able to afford a Dyno tune.
So I'm looking at late January-early February emote it's up an running.
If anyone wants to get a turbo. Message clamphier. He works for LPF, and they build turbo kits all day erryday
Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What type of warranty work did you have done?
My Fuel pump died out on me. My girl took my car into the dealership for me and when they popped the hood they asked if was tuned. She said yes and they said no worries. I think the TUNE=VOIDED WARRANTY mentality is over hyped. Follow your heart man, follow your heart; get a tune. Sorry didnt mean to get all disney on you.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post

My Fuel pump died out on me. My girl took my car into the dealership for me and when they popped the hood they asked if was tuned. She said yes and they said no worries. I think the TUNE=VOIDED WARRANTY mentality is over hyped. Follow your heart man, follow your heart; get a tune. Sorry didnt mean to get all disney on you.
That's great bro. Sounds like have an amazing Ford Dealership who understands customers and mustangs. If you don't mind what exact dealership and where is it located. They sound awesome and work with the customer instead of sticking to them.

I got my mustang for many reasons but the most reason of all is fun. Its a car that's so much fun, and needs to be modded. Half the fun of the car is modding it. I couldn't imagine going 5, 7 years waiting to mod them. My first mod was a performance tuner and second was my CAI. I think the CAI is a must have for looks, great sound, improved throttle response and power gains. The CAI is just one more ingredients to the final performance package.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's great bro. Sounds like have an amazing Ford Dealership who understands customers and mustangs. If you don't mind what exact dealership and where is it located. They sound awesome and work with the customer instead of sticking to them. I got my mustang for many reasons but the most reason of all is fun. Its a car that's so much fun, and needs to be modded. Half the fun of the car is modding it. I couldn't imagine going 5, 7 years waiting to mod them. My first mod was a performance tuner and second was my CAI. I think the CAI is a must have for looks, great sound, improved throttle response and power gains. The CAI is just one more ingredients to the final performance package.
Unless you're going F/I
Cough cough
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unless you're going F/I
Cough cough
You could use the CAI if you wanted for the look and sound. Lol. But stay away from headers and leave factory mid pipe on with a turbo set up. Lol
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #31

legally an aftermarket part can not void a warranty unless that part is a direct result of the issue. a tune is very gray because so many different things can be associated with a ECU.

Anyway, for you legal buffs out there. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Also, think about your tires, radiator (in some cases), alternator (in some cases), seat belts etc. There are ton of non-ford parts on cars.
jrexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could use the CAI if you wanted for the look and sound. Lol. But stay away from headers and leave factory mid pipe on with a turbo set up. Lol
I don't think you understood me :p
It replaces everything exhaust related except for the axelbacks....
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you understood me :p
It replaces everything exhaust related except for the axelbacks....
Lol. Got ya. My bad.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. Got ya. My bad.
It's all good!!!
Now buy one :p
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's all good!!!
Now buy one :p
I'm thinking more on the line of super charger. Running 8 lbs boost. The factory motor will be safe on that and be around 425 rwhp. Shoot, I'm dreaming. My wife ain't gonna go for that. Lmao. If I could get a complete supercharger set up with injectors for 2,500 I most likely could close the deal but not 5200k.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai