Buying used GT advice needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Region: Other
Buying used GT advice needed

Hi all i have been lurking her for a while. I drove GTs back when I was a teen and have been thinking about purchasing a used one as a weekend car. Been reading the forums and watching the prices on-line. I am ready to pick one up and have decided that somewhere around 20K is a good cap for a car that is going to sit five days a week. I do plan on upgrading wheels/tires, suspension, and seats. The cars I have come across;

2008 GT Premium $21K - 11K miles. Leather and shaker 1000. A one owner car. A few scratches but otherwise the car is like new. Private party value on this car in excellent shape is about 19 and retail is about 21. The guy wont budge from 21K.

2012 GT Premium also $21K - 33K miles on it in 18 months of ownership. Only option on the car is a 3.55 axle. I found this car at a non-ford dealer. Sales guy hands me a printout of the work they did to it to make it legal. Everything on the printout is related to the lighting system. Replacing all types of bulbs and headlight and taillight assemblies. He tells me it came in with all non legal lighting. Plus new tires they have 3K of prep into it. I go look at the car and look under the hood; looks like aftermarket valve covers (red in color), but I can't tell if anything else under the hood has been modified since the rest of it appears stock at this point. Interior is like new. A look under the rear end; exhaust appears factory like its about two years old, the front of the rear differential is soaking wet with oil and there is a 4" spot on the ground from dripping (i understand the pinion seal and breather vent is an issue on these cars.) I grab the top of the rear tire and shake it in and out and it feels like at least a quarter of an inch of play so I imagine it also needs wheel bearings but i did not hear any bearing noise while driving it - both rear wheels have the same exact amount of play. There is still 3K miles on the factory bumper to bumper warranty so I would guess these items are still covered if not under the powertrain warranty. I am not sure if this car is a good deal for 21K or something I should run from. I think retail on it in excellent condition is 26K.

There are a lot of 05-09 models out there and they all have 30K-80K miles on them and priced from 13K-19K. I don't have a problem picking one of these up it's just a little more difficult to find one that is clean and not too beat up other than normal wear and tear.

Obviously I would like a 5.0 over a 4.6 but except for the one I noted above, they all start in the mid 20s which is more than I want to spend on a weekend car. So I am asking for some input in what you all think I should be looking at for a not too beat-up weekend car. The 5.0 is sweet since it has the bigger numbers to put down and also has noticeably less road noise than even the 08 with 11K miles on it.

After reading the forums here I imagine some of you are going to say - get the 5.0 you cant go wrong. And others will say - save the money and by a 4.6L with 80K for $13-14K since there is no value to be gained by spending more for less mileage. Maybe I just answered my own questions...

Any suggestions on which way to lean would be appreciated thanks. - John
6Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Terminator.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Terminator.
+10000000 get a 03-04 cobra
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Honestly for a weekend car you'll be perfectly happy with a 3v. The Coyotes are really awesome but for cruising and doing minor upgrades and just hanging out with the car you'll not be unhappy with the 3v. They're still decent cars.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Terminator.
Cobra yes or a mach
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

Region: Other
By 3v you mean the 4.6L?

I guess I should have mentioned I am not looking at anything older than 5th gen. 2005> only. I know the 4th gen have a loyal following but it's not of interest to me. Thanks.
6Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If buying used and want to spend that amount get a termi or coyote. Both are amazing.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Seven View Post
By 3v you mean the 4.6L? I guess I should have mentioned I am not looking at anything older than 5th gen. 2005> only. I know the 4th gen have a loyal following but it's not of interest to me. Thanks.
Yes, the 3v 4.6 is what I was talking about. It's 2005-2012 if I recall correctly. Then 2013+ is the 5.0. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yes the 3v is the 05-10gt ---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ---------- 11 and 12 have the 5.0. The 10 is very misleading because it is the new body style but not the 5.0.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Yes, the 3v 4.6 is what I was talking about. It's 2005-2012 if I recall correctly. Then 2013+ is the 5.0. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
3v 05-10, 5.0 11-
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
05-10gt 4.6 3v

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion