Catalytic converter problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
cleanmach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 21
Catalytic converter problem

I know that my passenger side catalytic converter is having some kind of problem, I'm hearing random rattling noises from under the car and smoke is coming out of the passenger side tail pipe even when the car is off. How long can I drive the car before there will start to be danger to the engine?
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmach1 View Post
I know that my passenger side catalytic converter is having some kind of problem, I'm hearing random rattling noises from under the car and smoke is coming out of the passenger side tail pipe even when the car is off. How long can I drive the car before there will start to be danger to the engine?
Do you have true dual exhaust that doesn't connect at the mid pipe?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
cleanmach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

Do you have true dual exhaust that doesn't connect at the mid pipe?
No it's a bassani catted xpipe
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmach1 View Post

No it's a bassani catted xpipe
Well if you had a problem with either cat then it would reflect both sides of your exhaust system, because the system is balanced via the x-pipe. Provided you have no CEL and the smoke isn't colored. I'd be almost 100% willing to be you have a broken hanger or something and something burning out of one of your mufflers than got inside of it.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
cleanmach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

Well if you had a problem with either cat then it would reflect both sides of your exhaust system, because the system is balanced via the x-pipe. Provided you have no CEL and the smoke isn't colored. I'd be almost 100% willing to be you have a broken hanger or something an something burning out of one of your mufflers than got inside of it.
No it's the cat because i took it to a shop and put it on the lift and there is nothing loose or anything and there aren't any leaks. So I'm assuming the noises I was hearing was the loose material in the cat itself that has been blown out the tail pipes by this point. My only question is Will it hurt my car to run it with a faulty cat untill I have time to replace it with an offroad h pipe
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmach1 View Post
No it's the cat because i took it to a shop and put it on the lift and there is nothing loose or anything and there aren't any leaks. So I'm assuming the noises I was hearing was the loose material in the cat itself that has been blown out the tail pipes by this point. My only question is Will it hurt my car to run it with a faulty cat untill I have time to replace it with an offroad h pipe
If you blew out your cat, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as your engine goes. This is assuming the catalytic converter is not clogged, but instead truly blown out. However, I would be concerned about catalytic convertor material traveling through the exhaust and getting stock in your mufflers. I've seen quite a few mufflers that were somewhat clogged because of this.

I would get this taken care of ASAP, since no good can come from it. To answer your question, there's nothing that should harm the engine.

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
cleanmach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

If you blew out your cat, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as your engine goes. This is assuming the catalytic converter is not clogged, but instead truly blown out. However, I would be concerned about catalytic convertor material traveling through the exhaust and getting stock in your mufflers. I've seen quite a few mufflers that were somewhat clogged because of this.

I would get this taken care of ASAP, since no good can come from it. To answer your question, there's nothing that should harm the engine.

Shane
Thanks I have a flowmaster outlaw series mufflers just welded on 2 days ago but Do you think it would affect those even though they are straight through mufflers?
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
It's not likely since they're straight through mufflers. The worst that can happen with a muffler like that is small pieces getting stuck in the baffling ports on the sides. Which is nothing that will reduce flow or make a audible vibration. You should be okay!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
twk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Harrisburg
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmach1 View Post
No it's the cat because i took it to a shop and put it on the lift and there is nothing loose or anything and there aren't any leaks. So I'm assuming the noises I was hearing was the loose material in the cat itself that has been blown out the tail pipes by this point. My only question is Will it hurt my car to run it with a faulty cat untill I have time to replace it with an offroad h pipe
I'm a bit confused here. Your cats are forward of the x-pipe, right?
Like ZLwhat said, to paraphrase,
If either single cat was the cause of the smoke, the smoke would come out of both tail pipes. It would seem to me something is inside the right hand side exhaust, behind the x-pipe.

If you just had mufflers put on, maybe there was something inside the right hand side muffler and it finally decided to burn. This doesn't explain the noise you hear, but you may have two problems. The rattle, and the smoke.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
cleanmach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
I'm a bit confused here. Your cats are forward of the x-pipe, right?
Like ZLwhat said, to paraphrase,
If either single cat was the cause of the smoke, the smoke would come out of both tail pipes. It would seem to me something is inside the right hand side exhaust, behind the x-pipe.

If you just had mufflers put on, maybe there was something inside the right hand side muffler and it finally decided to burn. This doesn't explain the noise you hear, but you may have two problems. The rattle, and the smoke.
ya thats what im thinking that maybe something went to the passenger side muffler and got caught, thus creating a smoke to come out of only one tail pipe. but regardless the rattling noise is gone so i guess i just need to have the midpipe swapped out before the next inspection lol
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.