Input on 3.73/4.10 gears on GT auto daily driver - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
There are way better tuners than Bama for the Coyote.
You could say that about any tuner....however my GT, its 0-60 times and better than 15mpg in city say otherwise. Results will vary per person obviously.

Ive ordered 15 tunes between 2 mustangs for $400, I can re-tune at will, order again anytime for nada and can freely return to stock for service. If someone has a better model Im all ears.

American muscle didnt become the #1 seller of mustang parts and tunes because they are mediocre.

Sure I can get a customized dyno, but its only as good as the button pusher behind it. I prefer a team of guys who do nothing but tune mustangs, every make and model as opposed to some Joe at a random dyno shop who tunes any car.
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
You could say that about any tuner....however my GT, its 0-60 times and better than 15mpg in city say otherwise. Results will vary per person obviously.

Ive ordered 15 tunes between 2 mustangs for $400, I can re-tune at will, order again anytime for nada and can freely return to stock for service. If someone has a better model Im all ears.

American muscle didnt become the #1 seller of mustang parts and tunes because they are mediocre.

Sure I can get a customized dyno, but its only as good as the button pusher behind it. I prefer a team of guys who do nothing but tune mustangs, every make and model as opposed to some Joe at a random dyno shop who tunes any car.
Have you ever data logged your car to see how things look?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Absolutely.
No offense meant.....but

I would love to get all the blanket statement posters together in a room full of Bama guys. Maybe you can all explain to them why others skills are superior to theirs...would love to be a fly on the wall for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have you ever data logged your car to see how things look?
V6 yes...needed some corrections to the tune, GT havent had a need yet.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have never heard of a torque tune especially by bama. I have been running tunes with bama for almost 4 years and have run there street, performance, race and hybrid tunes but never have I heard of a torque tune.

What exactly is a torque tune?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No offense meant.....but

I would love to get all the blanket statement posters together in a room full of Bama guys. Maybe you can all explain to them why others skills are superior to theirs...would love to be a fly on the wall for that.
I tune my own car so you could say I know a little something on the subject. Ironically my tune has proven to be safer and faster than any of Bama's.
Quote:
V6 yes...needed some corrections to the tune, GT havent had a need yet.
So then if you haven't data logged your tune how do you know it's safe or good? At this point you're just guessing.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Datalogging ftw which Bama can do actually. Also running any sort of custom tune without a wideband is putting a LOT of faith in your email tune and that they got it right.

For the Coyote, Lund is well known to be the best remote tuner out there. Although one can learn to tune oneself if one chooses. I still have to install the Moates QH I have on my shelf and then buy the software to tune it and start learning.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Datalogging ftw which Bama can do actually. Also running any sort of custom tune without a wideband is putting a LOT of faith in your email tune and that they got it right.

For the Coyote, Lund is well known to be the best remote tuner out there. Although one can learn to tune oneself if one chooses. I still have to install the Moates QH I have on my shelf and then buy the software to tune it and start learning.
Ive heard Lund is pretty good for the coyotes as well. Came down to paying $200 for a single tune and then another $100 for additional ones vs a 1 time payment.

Great thing about Bama is if the tune isnt quite right, 1 phone call and I can have the issue corrected for free.

Since I moved from a V6 to newer GT, Ive found that I really dont need to over mod as before, so maybe a Lund tune make sense. Do you know, can I use my existing SCT X3 tuner and just upload it like I do a Bama tune? Their sites Tunes QA/description isnt 100% clear.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So then if you haven't data logged your tune how do you know it's safe or good? At this point you're just guessing.
I trust that Bama wouldnt send an unsafe tune considering they've done 1000s of tunes (not to mention liability issues with unsafe tuning) on that model car that been in production for 18 months and I dont have mods that were never intended for my model car - Boss 302 manifold and over gearing come to mind.

I work in IT...tunes are like buying a new Microsoft OS before the first service pack comes out - its buggy as hell and needs serious refining. If I were to buy a 2015 mustand and immediately tune it, would expect a well known company to not get it right at first. After 6 months to a year, its probably perfected. As mentioned Bama (and everyone else) has had 18 months to perfect the 2013 GT tunes. Pretty safe bet.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Grabber Blue5.0;2024777]I tune my own car so you could say I know a little something on the subject. Ironically my tune has proven to be safer and faster than any of Bama's.

Awesome that you have the skills to tune...sometimes DIY is the way to go if your experienced and can accept that any failures or victories are solely your own doing!

The trap you could fall in with DIY, is always pushing for better perf at the cost of your cars longevity. GT costs over 30K, last thing I want is an engine overhaul prior to 100K.

If you get smoked by another guys stang, chances are most who can tune will be looking to push it harder at the cost of a bruised ego. I know I would!

Lets be honest, buying a GT and modding it for more power is an exercise in comparing your ball sack to another guys.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you know, can I use my existing SCT X3 tuner and just upload it like I do a Bama tune? Their sites Tunes QA/description isnt 100% clear.
You can use anyones tune on that tuner. The tuner you have is made by SCT, not Bama. They just throw their sticker on it.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I trust that Bama wouldnt send an unsafe tune considering they've done 1000s of tunes (not to mention liability issues with unsafe tuning) on that model car that been in production for 18 months
But the truth of that matter is they have sent out unsafe tunes. I've seen it in logs on several sites and in person from my own data logs on guys cars. Oh and cam timing that has been untouched which is where you make safe power, not in a large bump in timing.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Ive heard Lund is pretty good for the coyotes as well. Came down to paying $200 for a single tune and then another $100 for additional ones vs a 1 time payment.

Great thing about Bama is if the tune isnt quite right, 1 phone call and I can have the issue corrected for free.

Since I moved from a V6 to newer GT, Ive found that I really dont need to over mod as before, so maybe a Lund tune make sense. Do you know, can I use my existing SCT X3 tuner and just upload it like I do a Bama tune? Their sites Tunes QA/description isnt 100% clear.

You get what you pay for and I'll leave it at that.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #49

Region: Florida
Quote:
I've been 11.4 @ 121 mph with my 3.15's. I would not be any faster with more gear, this I'm sure.
What mods did you have? I have an 11 gt auto with intake tune and axlebacks I only run 12.6 with the 3.15.
hwebb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If I were to get a tune I would go with Lund. I've seen firsthand his tunes correct issues with friends cars that others could not.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb78 View Post
What mods did you have? I have an 11 gt auto with intake tune and axlebacks I only run 12.6 with the 3.15.
Boss Intake (Stock CAI)
Full Exhaust
Full Suspension
4C Converter
15" Tire
Tune
3.15 Gear
Old 11-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Boss Intake (Stock CAI)
Full Exhaust
Full Suspension
4C Converter
15" Tire
Tune
3.15 Gear

And you probably made a lot of ppl who spent a LOT more money very sad. That's what $25k-$27k if you can find a clean 11+ auto for $20k?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 11-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And you probably made a lot of ppl who spent a LOT more money very sad. That's what $25k-$27k if you can find a clean 11+ auto for $20k?
That would be about right.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I did the 3.73 vs 4.10 research years ago when I had a 2008 and I went with the 3.73 with my auto and was very happy. Honestly for the way I drive the 3.73's are better as i am not a racer I just like the blow me back in a seat feel and a tune and 3.73's made me happy enough.
siggy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #55

Region: Florida
I just took the jump and got the 3.73's in my Auto last week. Definitely "feels" faster, pulls harder with hardly any gas. Only thing that I am trying to get use to is the new shift points. I typically go to the track once a year and do a few runs for fun with friends, so we shall see what the new gear will net. I have a feeling I will need sticky tires now as before I couldn't break loose if I tried with the 3.15's. Just can't see picking up a set of sticky's just for a few runs once a year. To bad you can't rent slicks
Koni STR.T S&S
Steeda Sport Springs
Silver MMD 551C 19 x 8.5
hwebb78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion