Do you store the mustang in winter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Do you store the mustang in winter?

If so, what do you drive during winter.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I don't even know what "winter" is... Arizona resident here
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ughh I wish, mine is driven year round, sucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I plan on storing mine. This is my first full winter with it. I have an impala to fall back on and hopefully picking up a 4x4 here soon.
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I will probably end up driving mine, but also using the F-150 sometimes in the winter.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Str8 daily driver lol see wat Maryland throws at me this winter that me and the stang can't take down
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I used to store it when I lived in Quebec. I one year I had a ranger and then upgraded(at least on paper lol) to a grand Cherokee 4x4. The next year I drove a 94 thunderbird. I'm pretty sure I also had a mercury sable for a year as well. I would just sell them at the end of the season. Now that I live on the west coast, I can drive it all year long. There is no snow around here and the coldest temperatures are at around 2-5 degrees Celsius.

Anyways, I wouldn't drive my car in winter ever. You're going to put some serious wear on it. Paint is hard to keep clean in snow and ice. Lastly, there is gonna be some surface rust to your undercarriage. Although new cars are fairly well protected from rust with resins and surface Protectors, they are not immune to rust. Areas with snow and ice usually see a lot of salt on the road. The salt is the most destructive element to your cars undercarriage.

Anyways, if you decide to drive it. Get a the best winters you can, Go 17inches or smaller, but check with your technical advisor and put a lot of weight in the trunk. Also, if studded tires are legal in your state, I would recommend them greatly. I had a lot of rear wheel drive cars during winter from my 2x4 ranger, my t-bird , lincoln tow car etc and I can tell you from experience that tires will make a big difference. You may have to drive in **** conditions and you may get unlucky and drive over a patch of black ice. At times, it's almost impossible to see.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
I used to store it when I lived in Quebec. I one year I had a ranger and then upgraded(at least on paper lol) to a grand Cherokee 4x4. The next year I drove a 94 thunderbird. I'm pretty sure I also had a mercury sable for a year as well. I would just sell them at the end of the season. Now that I live on the west coast, I can drive it all year long. There is no snow around here and the coldest temperatures are at around 2-5 degrees Celsius. Anyways, I wouldn't drive my car in winter ever. You're going to put some serious wear on it. Paint is hard to keep clean in snow and ice. Lastly, there is gonna be some surface rust to your undercarriage. Although new cars are fairly well protected from rust with resins and surface Protectors, they are not immune to rust. Areas with snow and ice usually see a lot of salt on the road. The salt is the most destructive element to your cars undercarriage. Anyways, if you decide to drive it. Get a the best winters you can, Go 17inches or smaller, but check with your technical advisor and put a lot of weight in the trunk. Also, if studded tires are legal in your state, I would recommend them greatly. I had a lot of rear wheel drive cars during winter from my 2x4 ranger, my t-bird , lincoln tow car etc and I can tell you from experience that tires will make a big difference. You may have to drive in **** conditions and you may get unlucky and drive over a patch of black ice. At times, it's almost impossible to see.
I'm lucky that we rarely see snow, but I do wake up to 40 degree temps often, and some ice on my car, not on the roads unless it's already snowed usually, or freezing rain.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Combination of NJ salt on the roads, Nitto 555Rs hating the cold and the fact that my 98 looks almost brand new underneath means its stored in a garage during the winter.

Stabil in the gas tank and drive it a few miles to make sure the stabil gets through the rails/injectors too. Wash/wax/clean before the season's final park in the garage. Cover with a good car cover. Put the battery on a tender.

****If you are going to take it out to put some "maintenance miles" on it DO NOT drive it for 5 minutes and park it again. Actually drive it for a good 20-30 minutes and get it warm and put it through its paces a bit.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Combination of NJ salt on the roads, Nitto 555Rs hating the cold and the fact that my 98 looks almost brand new underneath means its stored in a garage during the winter. Stabil in the gas tank and drive it a few miles to make sure the stabil gets through the rails/injectors too. Wash/wax/clean before the season's final park in the garage. Cover with a good car cover. Put the battery on a tender. ****If you are going to take it out to put some "maintenance miles" on it DO NOT drive it for 5 minutes and park it again. Actually drive it for a good 20-30 minutes and get it warm and put it through its paces a bit.
This is some info i've been looking for. Pretty much identical to the plan i have on storing the car. Now, people talk about a battery tender. What is it? What's the cost? Where do i get my hands on one of those bad boys? I've never stored a car for winter, so i'm just going to wash, double wax, add some fuel stabilizer and build a fort of DECON around the car. But, do tires develop flat spots in the during those few months, Or does it take longer?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Ughh I wish, mine is driven year round, sucks
+1 year-round DD
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
This is some info i've been looking for. Pretty much identical to the plan i have on storing the car. Now, people talk about a battery tender. What is it? What's the cost? Where do i get my hands on one of those bad boys? I've never stored a car for winter, so i'm just going to wash, double wax, add some fuel stabilizer and build a fort of DECON around the car. But, do tires develop flat spots in the during those few months, Or does it take longer?
I got my battery tender on the evilbays. Its basically a trickle charger that keeps the battery fully charged without overcharging it. You just plug it into a wall and let it do its thing.

As far as the tires developing flat spots, I do put maintenance miles on the car when its nice out so I do not jack it up but if you plan on not driving it at all from now until April/May timeframe then I would put it on jackstands of the winter to keep flat spots off the tires and to unload the suspension.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
+1 year-round DD
Yea man and NJ winters can be ROUGH!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Yea man and NJ winters can be ROUGH!
Not like some of the places in the really northern states but with all the slush and salt and whatever else on the roads. If you can get an older stang for a good price with little/no rust like I did jump on it. I'm paranoid about driving this car in the winter when I crawl under it to do the oil and don't see any corrosion at all in the typical places. A little surface rust around the gas tank in a few spots that is not any sort of big deal at all.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I don't even know what "winter" is... Arizona resident here
Texas here can drive anything all year long and I prefer to drive mine in the winter the cold air makes it run so much better
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. Don't have the funds to have two cars atm. But even if i did I don't think i'd store it. Winters don't get too bad over here in VA Beach.
Jshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sort of store mine but I have been known to take it out in the winter on a warm dry day. I got mine in Jan last year I traded up a 2010 F150 4x4 for it. Now I have a 2003 Escape that has 250000 miles on it. I will run the Escape until spring when I plan on getting another F150. I also pull it out of the garage while I am working on other cars cause the garage is heated and the outside in North East Ohio is not.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
Nope. Don't have the funds to have two cars atm. But even if i did I don't think i'd store it. Winters don't get too bad over here in VA Beach.
They really don't, rarely see snow, and it usually isn't below 40 except at night, and early morning, I'm also near VA beach.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just got my Mustang. Jacksonville, FL so I will be driving it year round. I work from home so it won't see many miles per year. Maybe 5k.
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Northern Ohio here, so winter can start as early as September, and last until May- for those not familiar with Ohio, that's no joke.

Last year my baby got to play in the snow, but I've been putting too many miles on her, so she is getting stored for the winter. I will be taking her out every other week for a few miles, but she is getting stored. I was hoping for one tank to last, summer fuel, but it's already down to a quarter tank...lol, I can't help it!

I bought the NSX's fuel efficient brother as a second car for winter, and to mess around with. I hate seeing the rust on the brakes when I visit her (the Mustang) in the garage (I visit every other day, and I try to roll her a bit a couple times per week, so no flat spots on the tires).

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Central Ohio here. Drive mine year around - have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice winter tires on 18" rims, had no issues last winter. It does better than I expected in the snow.
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
Central Ohio here. Drive mine year around - have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice winter tires on 18" rims, had no issues last winter. It does better than I expected in the snow.
Pirelli P Zero's on my 18s did me fine. My Blizzaks just sat all winter. I ended up making money off of them reselling, but all I did was tie up $600 for 8 months :/

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Pirelli P Zero's on my 18s did me fine. My Blizzaks just sat all winter. I ended up making money off of them reselling, but all I did was tie up $600 for 8 months :/
Yep - I probably would have been OK too, but I have the factory 19" tires and they seemed a little hard for real winter use. But I really only had one trip last winter that I was glad I had the Scorpions. Possibly a waste of $$$ but I will put them on again in a few weeks, just in case I do a road trip to Michigan or Ontario and get caught in snow. In any case if I put the winter tires on and we have another mild winter it will be worth it!
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timle8n1 View Post
Just got my Mustang. Jacksonville, FL so I will be driving it year round. I work from home so it won't see many miles per year. Maybe 5k.
I'm from jax fl also
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mine is a year rounder. Learned my lesson last year with ice and rear wheel drive cars and summer tires. Put some better all seasons on the mustang for a little better traction in bad weather conditions. I also work from home three out of the five day work week and have the option on bad weather days to work from home as well so the Mustang should be put up for a majority of the winter. No fall back car yet but maybe be taking over my gf's 06 Trailblazer if she decides to get another car.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta love south Florida, the coldest it gets here is around 40, and thats at like 3am lol
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No way...I love driving mine year around!
BlueApollo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo4 View Post
Me too, my mustang is my DD, I will probably use the 06 F150 some during the winter.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I dont have any snow issues in GA so it will go in the mix with the Jeep and F250.
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo4 View Post
I thought this till I drove my Cobra as a DD for a few years. It looked like my garage kept 98 looks now. 2 years later... looked like it was driven daily...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
What the hell is a winter lol.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Daily Driver so no winter storage for this ride. Just a car wash when needed depending how often it snows and plastidip my winter rims to help protect them from the salt. I definitely do not skimp on the car washing during the winter, if I have to go a couple times a week I'll do it.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Also dd my car. No garage. If I had a garage and a dd it would be under a cover on jack stands in a heated garage. But for some reason apartment complexes don't have garages. Lol.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'm in central ky my gt gets driven every day rain snow or shine.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Mine will be stored in the garage and only driven every now and then so it doesn't just sit for months. The RAM will have to do during the winter.

Forget Jersey! Send me back to tucson!
jsampson02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion