Insurance sky high? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Insurance sky high?

Recently got a quote for a full liability 11 v6... 230$ a month. Like wtf? I could get a 04 GT for about that much and spend 8000 less in the actual car. Does this amount sound correct? I'm a 20 year old male, I don't have any kind of tickets, and 0 accidents or anything negative on my record. I get my insurance is going to be high cuz I'm a guy but does this sound correct? That's even with discounts for having a paypal, and having over a 3.0 in college.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Recently got a quote for a full liability 11 v6... 230$ a month. Like wtf? I could get a 04 GT for about that much and spend 8000 less in the actual car. Does this amount sound correct? I'm a 20 year old male, I have 1 ticket when I was 16 for pulling onto the road without my headlights on. No other kind of tickets, and 0 accidents or anything negative on my record. I get my insurance is going to be high cuz I'm a guy but does this sound correct? That's even with discounts for having a paypal, and having over a 3.0 in college.
Seems reasonable. They know youre gonna drive it like a ****** like the rest of us hahaha. If the car ad insurance is in your own name, for a 20 yr old thats not too bad.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
To give you some perspective

I'm 18 with a 2001 Bullitt
3.7gpa in high school
Took multiple defensive driving classes
Eagle Scout
No tickets on my record at all

Got quoted for $250/month for full coverage

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
If your parents let you get on their insurance it should probably go way down, I'm 22 and have 2 speeding tickets, one of which was for 110mph and I pay about 125 a month
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
If your parents let you get on their insurance it should probably go way down, I'm 22 and have 2 speeding tickets, one of which was for 110mph and I pay about 125 a month
I'm on my parents insurance but the car is listed as mine. Still get raped $100 a month for absolutely basic coverage

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
My parents plan quoted me 302$ a month lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
2013 3.7 and I'm 19 on my parents plan. 130 full coverage with 1 speeding ticket on the car
Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
My parents plan quoted me 302$ a month lol
its prices like that, that lead people to say "f* insurance"
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
^^
Mine is about the same like $100 a month for the most full coverage you can get I'm 20 and on my parents insurance
Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Recently got a quote for a full liability 11 v6... 230$ a month. Like wtf? I could get a 04 GT for about that much and spend 8000 less in the actual car. Does this amount sound correct? I'm a 20 year old male, I don't have any kind of tickets, and 0 accidents or anything negative on my record. I get my insurance is going to be high cuz I'm a guy but does this sound correct? That's even with discounts for having a paypal, and having over a 3.0 in college.
That's just one of the perks of being young. I was quoted $200 a month in 1986 for a $15k new vehicle. I now pay $400 a year on a new gt.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
When I was looking at a 2012 5.0 my insurance was going to be 137$ a month full coverage I'm 21 and my insurance for my mach is 60 a month full coverage
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
^^ Mine is about the same like $100 a month for the most full coverage you can get I'm 20 and on my parents insurance
That's cheap for full coverage who do you use? Unless u meant liability only. Then that's high lol

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote:
^^ Mine is about the same like $100 a month for the most full coverage you can get I'm 20 and on my parents insurance
With my 99 v6 it's 52$ a month for liability only

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
What insurance company are you getting a quote from? Some are really high, I would try a well-known insurance company like State Farm they are usually pretty reasonable.

Also, be sure to check on your payment schedule. I know with mine (Nationwide) I have the option to pay with all at once, every 6 months, every quarter (the one I went with) and monthly. Those total amounts vary, since I pay quarterly I end up paying a little more (maybe $50 over the course of the year) instead of just all at once. I end up paying something like $375 per quarter ($125 per month) with full coverage. Another thing is, if you have renter's insurance, try and get both through the same insurance company to get a discount. Another thing is, I would stick with a $500 deductible that will get your monthly payments down too. $500 is pretty reasonable for auto insurance.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, my 2007 civic fcuked me over with 3200 per year - roughly $266 per month for full insurance. Here in canada (British Columbia) you get 5% discount per year of your driving experience. I now have 5% (I'm 24 lol), and im paying $278 per month for a 2014 V6 mustang. It would be roughly 330ish if I had a GT.

Here it also depends on the area you drive your car in. I'm in Vancouver - more traffic more accidents, more claims - hence more insurance. Although if I was in Victoria (on the island), same policy would have been for 180ish per month. Also, this is not private insurance but state regulated corporation.

Do they calculate insurance in a similar way in your area?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

If it makes you feel any better, my 2007 civic fcuked me over with 3200 per year - roughly $266 per month for full insurance. Here in canada (British Columbia) you get 5% discount per year of your driving experience. I now have 5% (I'm 24 lol), and im paying $278 per month for a 2014 V6 mustang. It would be roughly 330ish if I had a GT.

Here it also depends on the area you drive your car in. I'm in Vancouver - more traffic more accidents, more claims - hence more insurance. Although if I was in Victoria (on the island), same policy would have been for 180ish per month. Also, this is not private insurance but state regulated corporation.

Do they calculate insurance in a similar way in your area?
You also get free health care, they have to get the money from somewhere.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
^^
Mine is about the same like $100 a month for the most full coverage you can get I'm 20 and on my parents insurance
That's why. My son is still on our policy as well; he's 26 and single.

25 and youger unmarried males carry the highest risk for automobile insurance companies. Also low or no credit will force higher premiums.

Kinda sucks being a single young male huh?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
You also get free health care, they have to get the money from somewhere.
Nothing's free; they are paying for it with higher taxes, just like in Germany. Folks over there get free medical, and a better unemployment pay, and free college if their grades are good....however, their tax rate is around 48 to 51 percent of their income.

By the time you figure out what wou pay in taxes, insurance, medical, and school, it creeps up to about 51% of your income as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Be very careful of those TV ads that allow you to lower your payments by "choosing" your coverage.

Sure, you might get a one hundred dollar a month policy, but at the cost of a five thousand dollar deductable!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
That's why. My son is still on our policy as well; he's 26 and single.

25 and youger unmarried males carry the highest risk for automobile insurance companies. Also low or no credit will force higher premiums.

Kinda sucks being a single young male huh?
Yessir, a person's credit score is as big a factor as age. Insurance co finally figured out if a person doesn't pay ther bills, they probably won't have a problem committing fraud.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I live in denton, which has unt and TWU in it. Maybe that's why? But still, how do you people that have it under 200$ for full coverage get there? What's companies? I did State Farm and esurance quotes.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I live in denton, which has unt and TWU in it. Maybe that's why? But still, how do you people that have it under 200$ for full coverage get there? What's companies? I did State Farm and esurance quotes.
I got there by being married for 30 years and no accidents, credit worthiness, and my dashing good looks!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have Hagerty, full coverage, no deductible, no deprecation, free road side assistance, free 10mi flatbed tow, $33.33 a month on a 12GT. Only catch, it can't be your daily driver.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I have Hagerty, full coverage, no deductible, no deprecation, free road side assistance, free 10mi flatbed tow, $33.33 a month on a 12GT. Only catch, it can't be your daily driver.
Technically I could keep my 6 I have now and claim it as my daily driver, right?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Technically I could keep my 6 I have now and claim it as my daily driver, right?
Technically your dd has to be newer. They however let me slide since I have so many vehicles. It never hurts to ask. My experience with them was so good, I couldn't believe they were an ins co.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
**** I pay $350 a month for my insurance single and I am 29 with 5 points on my license. (Progressive)
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Nothing's free; they are paying for it with higher taxes, just like in Germany. Folks over there get free medical, and a better unemployment pay, and free college if their grades are good....however, their tax rate is around 48 to 51 percent of their income.

By the time you figure out what wou pay in taxes, insurance, medical, and school, it creeps up to about 51% of your income as well.
Spot on sir! Let alone the federal tax, provincial tax, employment insurance and pension that comes out of your every single pay cheque, we have approximately 45ish cents of tax inuded in $1.39 per liter of gas.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
yeah your next best birthday is gonna be your 25th-26th one when things like insurance don't factor in "immaturity" as grounds to hike up your rate. I was paying $227 with USAA (my mom is retired Air Force) and when my 25th bday happened i got it dropped to $195/month. Buuuuut then I got busted for a couple speedy speedy speed tickets but it only raised me up to $207/month now so I'm still doing ok. But i'll be trying to price out some better rates soon though, i hear USAA is starting to raise up their rates with a "Zero Fcuks Given" policy
'12 v6, Black, Manual, JLT CAI, Flow master Original 40 series axle back, BAMA tune 93performance, Trufiber 3" cowl hood, GT Bumper w/ billet grille, Boss 302 Lower Facia and Boss chin splitter, Raxiom Smoked Headlights and Tail lights, Solarwing II, and a Car Seat for the shorty!
Feedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Over 200$ a month just hurts

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
On on my parents plan. I have a few tickets. Mainly speeding. I get quoted $125 a month for full coverage. I was paying $1200 every 6 months though so it's dropped since last year.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #30
JDR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
LOL the only thing good about getting old is lower insurance rates.

$89 mo/ full coverage '13 V6
I'm 37
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's crazy I pay $143 a month for two new cars!
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
On on my parents plan. I have a few tickets. Mainly speeding. I get quoted $125 a month for full coverage. I was paying $1200 every 6 months though so it's dropped since last year.

Did you turn 25?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Insurance will kill in you when you are younger. For a 2011 gt, 08 F250, 04 Wrangler, 13 Hynd Sonita with liberty mutual, 500 deductibles on everything, good liability, and mine is only $210 a month and I'm 29. Wife 26. No wrecks or tickets.
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Did you turn 25?
Ripe age of 20!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Ripe age of 20!
See I don't understand the trends of insurance quotes lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion