Mustang Fuel System & MPG - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
Mustang Fuel System & MPG

Can getting 42 lbs injectors and an svt pump (or any upgraded one) WITH A TUNE get me better gas mileage with 4.10 gears?

Don't flame me because I honestly don't know.

The reason I think is so it wouldn't work as close to full duty cycle.

Anyone?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Can getting 42 lbs injectors and an svt pump (or any upgraded one) WITH A TUNE get me better gas mileage with 4.10 gears?

Don't flame me because I honestly don't know.

The reason I think is so it wouldn't work as close to full duty cycle.

Anyone?
No larger injectors require more fuel and a larger capacity fuel pump will not allow you to utilize any other benefit other than more fuel being delivered to the rails. Your best bet for better gas mileage is to get a more highway friendly gear ratio and a tune up.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
No larger injectors require more fuel and a larger capacity fuel pump will not allow you to utilize any other benefit other than more fuel being delivered to the rails. Your best bet for better gas mileage is to get a more highway friendly gear ratio and a tune up.
Ahh I see thanks.
I was just trying to explore other options.
I love my gears too much and won't ever go back lol. But thanks for the quick answer ZL
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post

Ahh I see thanks.
I was just trying to explore other options.
I love my gears too much and won't ever go back lol. But thanks for the quick answer ZL
You could try running taller tires in the rear also but that will make your speedo and odometer off even more unless it is digital and you can change it in a tune. A taller rear tire will lower your rpms on the highway.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Anything after 93 was a digital speedo and easy enough to change with a speedcal box or a tune. Easy way to save gas is slow the hell down. I do 70mph with my 3.73s in my 98GT and routinely get over 20mpg hand calculated.

And being a 2004 you are running rich right from the factory. The computer is tuned for 19s but those run at 90% duty cycle on the PI 2V so in the last few years they went to 21s and never changed the tune. Get a good tune and it'll lean out a little and save you some gas that way.

However, you have a sports car, if you are THAT concerend about fuel economy get a beater to drive to work. A mid 90s Civic is $1k and gets near 40mpg.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion