Buying a car, quick question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Buying a car, quick question

Hey guys, I'm looking at 2 cars right now. The first one is a gotta have it green '14 V6 base with the 3.31 gears and 6 speed. The second one is a '14 GT base with the track package and six speed. At this point its all just dependent on how much credit I get approved for, so if I can get the GT I will.
The problem I have is should I get the manual trans or the auto? I've been wanting another stick car for a while now and I thought it test drove great, but there are a lot of threads out there about how bad the mt82 sucks so.... Does it suck that bad I should look at a auto car?
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I honestly thought the issues with the MT-82 were over blown when I purchased my '14 V6.

Knowing what I know now, I never would have bought the Mustang. In fact, I tried to get Ford to buy the car back from me, with no success.

I can't ever recommend anyone buy a car that has the MT-82. It is that bad.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Out of hundreds of thousands sold, all you hear about are the bad one's. I've never had the first problem out of the trans or shifter, and if I'm driving it, I'm beating on it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Stick vs auto... at this point its personal preference. The new autos are so good nowadays it isn't like it used to be where the stick shift cars would be almost a whole second faster than the automatics.

As for the M6 issues... by now they are worked out or they should be. If you do happen to get a car that has trans issues then raise hell till they replace it or buy the car back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've heard that the MT 82 is rated at 375 torque, which is right around the GT, I don't think it would be much of a problem with the V6. With the GT, it's about a 50/50 chance, so ask yourself 1 question, are you feeling feel lucky punk? Anyone catch that reference?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've heard that the MT 82 is rated at 375 torque, which is right around the GT, I don't think it would be much of a problem with the V6. With the GT, it's about a 50/50 chance, so ask yourself 1 question, are you feeling feel lucky punk? Anyone catch that reference?
How bout a reference link. Some of the stuff you say, you must pull out of your azz.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Lol do you ? I wasn't even born when that was made.

Btw, you're close enough, but no cigar:

...you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
How bout a reference link. Some of the stuff you say, you must pull out of your azz.
I remember seeing this on the MT82 thread, so that, I learned from ME.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

. To the original post, I just bought a 2014 GT about 2 months ago. It's given me nothing but joy! I have a little over 1200 miles on it. From what I'm told, if the transmission is going to run into any problems, it'll be within the first 500-1000 miles. Also, ford has recently changed the tranny oil viscosity for the transmission (might be area dependent based on seasonal temps), and I hear this has solved a lot of quirks the transmission is experiencing. Besides that, you'll be covered with your power train warranty for 5 years at the very least.

I would say the only thing it really needs is an upgraded shifter. I ordered the mgw shifter, but I probably won't see it until January. It's a very popular mod on here and I trust everyone's judgment. I know some people might be tempted to go cheaper and on almost any other transmission, I'd agree that you'd see little difference. However, with the mt82, the mgw shifter is the supreme choice. Really consider the gt. I've driven both cars and while they are both a pleasure to drive,the sound of a big roaring v8 is really satisfying. The fuel economy is similar , with the exception of perhaps highway. It's been a huge improvement over my old 2v 4.6 mustang, so if that speaks for anything. You'll know what I mean the day you slap some axle backs on it. All v8's sound better with after market exhaust, but this car is night and day. It's so quiet and composed in stock form. Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I ended up getting approved for both cars(credit wise), but I was upside down in my trade and had little cash to add to the pot so I ended up going with the 3.7... It broke my heart a little bit, that GT was a hell of a car, but I just couldn't quite make the payment on it.

The V6 is a MT82 and so far I really enjoy it. All 75 miles lol!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Nice, post some pics up. Nothing wrong with the V6 Mustangs nowadays. Any reason you didn't try for a low mileage used 2011/2012 5.0? I mean you can get them for low $20s and I've seen some that might as well be new. Guy I work with got a 20k something mile 2011 black on black 5.0 for $22k. I've sat it in and yeah it might as well be a brand new car and the exterior is mint too. Still has a factory warranty on it too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just really wanted a new car with a full factory warranty. Never had one before so its pretty cool.
I put pics up in the intro forum
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Out of hundreds of thousands sold, all you hear about are the bad one's. I've never had the first problem out of the trans or shifter, and if I'm driving it, I'm beating on it.
+1
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Congrats on the purchase.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Not to mention the 13/14 just look that much better. The front grill and bevel that meets the hood, the blacked out tail lights and license plate insert. Mmmm mmm mmm congrats

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion