GT Track Key? (not the Boss one) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb View Post
esp with a full akrapovic, pc5 with auto tune, ohlins and oz forged wheels
Chinese lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridlion View Post
2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY

GT track key? Anyone have any further information on this?
Just talked to the dealer and checked on availability, not going to be out until after April 1st. Will cost about $300, and they require an hour of dealer shop time to install. Guesstimated at around $400 total to update. My build date is right, have a manual tranny, I think I am in.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Chinese lol
no one has to look at anything for long but the taillight. faster than a busa and with the Ohlins and OZs turns fantastic too

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyusa View Post
Just talked to the dealer and checked on availability, not going to be out until after April 1st. Will cost about $300, and they require an hour of dealer shop time to install. Guesstimated at around $400 total to update. My build date is right, have a manual tranny, I think I am in.
I missed the build date by about 3 weeks, def sucks!!
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Someone already mentioned that all '14 models will be included. He seemed to be in the know, so here's hoping he's right.
Ridlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Someone already mentioned that all '14 models will be included. He seemed to be in the know, so here's hoping he's right.

Yeah I hope so too lol
Destro415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The Ford Racing tech told me that Ford made changes to a lot of the sensors and other electronics mid year and the track key will only work on the updated 2014 cars. That is why the July 1 build date is mentioned on fordracingpartsdirect.com.
I would think your car build date must be in the ball park of this date. Ford Racing will likely ask for your serial number when you try to order and verify your car will work. They do this for the ProCal tune as well to be sure it is the correct tune for your specific build.
todcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcp View Post
The Ford Racing tech told me that Ford made changes to a lot of the sensors and other electronics mid year and the track key will only work on the updated 2014 cars. That is why the July 1 build date is mentioned on fordracingpartsdirect.com.
I would think your car build date must be in the ball park of this date. Ford Racing will likely ask for your serial number when you try to order and verify your car will work. They do this for the ProCal tune as well to be sure it is the correct tune for your specific build.
If this date is true i think i'm the clear. whoo!!! hoooo!!!
Instafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Well it appears one person on this string was correct. The earlier 2014 and the 2013 will be able to purchase this track key tune. However the earlier cars will not be able to use the track key but rather will have to install the track tune without the ability to turn it on or off. It is on only. The later cars can use the two key system to drive the car with or without the tune. Late April.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm
It's true!
Who wants to experiment?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Ok I'm new to this track key stuff. I have a new 2014 GT that was delivered in March of this year. Can I get the track key and what can I do with it???
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Ok I'm new to this track key stuff. I have a new 2014 GT that was delivered in March of this year. Can I get the track key and what can I do with it???

Here is the info that is out.
2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

I still have not heard of anyone that has actually got it installed. Seems like maybe Ford is having some issues and still working out the bugs. Read on another forum that a guy had received his install packet. When he took it to the dealer to install, the installer was unable to download the software update. Ford had it blocked pending additional updates.

The key is only good if your build date is after 7/1/13, you have a manual trans, and you do not plan to mod the engine where it requires a different tune (i.e. Supercharger, CAI, etc...).

I am waiting for the dust to settle and see what kind of feedback the early installers get before I leap. But, so want to get it installed, question is, is it worth it? Lots of $$$ for no real gain in HP. I will still likely do it in a few months. We will see...
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

A better link.
Yes Bodon, you can get one.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
automatic

Quote:
A better link.
Yes Bodon, you can get one.
Just saw where you have to have manual trans. So I'm out.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I had to abandon ship on the auto 3.7 due to 3 "tuners" tunes ending up with a slipping at times (pcm compensates for wear) automatic. Poor performance was the norm despite being the most modified NA short of ported heads (which haven't show as beneficial thus far). After my last pass in early April, I was upset spark knock reared it's head out of nowhere AND the trans started slipping badly at the track. At least a 12.5 car was only a 13.1 car because of crap tuning. I was upset enough to demod a week or two later as much as I could in a reasonable time, two days, and traded the car in on a 14 GT. I got D plan plus 3k in rebates so that moved things along quick.

Point being, I don't think at least 95% of the tuners know what they should and shouldn't mess with. There's absolutely no way the tuners are going to keep up with pcm updates which is being driven by epa/mileage mandates in an effort for better engine efficiency as the years go on. No way. Competing with Ford engineers/programmers with a multi billion dollar company behind them is going to be difficult at the least.

So here, Ford throws a couple of bucks to Ford Racing and gives them the engineers to come up with something is likely still conservative, but sure sounds like there are gains to be had. Also, it's hard to put a $ value on something like this down the road. If I was looking for a clean GT 6 or 7 years down the road, you bet your arse a track key would be a hell of feature to find a clean to pristine car with!

Based on my experience, perhaps thats why I'm open to the track key...which also happens to keep the warranty in place, while giving some decent power gain going off the claims. I'd like to see some testimony feedback about it from someone but even if that doesn't happen, I'll likely take the leap anyway.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Funny thing is probably 90% of the people interested in this are "Waiting to see the numbers"
Wouldn't it make sense for Ford Racing to publish their results with this tune?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just got the track key installed on my car. I love it. The idle alone is worth it. I had it installed this afternoon. Ill have some more updates once I've driven it for a little while.
gt5.0nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5.0nc View Post
Just got the track key installed on my car. I love it. The idle alone is worth it. I had it installed this afternoon. Ill have some more updates once I've driven it for a little while.
Keep us updated, I'm really interested in this.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
irishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Every bit of feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Very interested, but looking for info on the results. Good chunk of cash, and want to know if it is worth it. Tell us everything!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Here is just a preview for right now. Once I get a few days with it I'll give ya'll some more details.

2014 Mustang GT with track key: http://youtu.be/0bTzK_yFVR8

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

*UPDATE*
Well I've been driving the car for the past few days and I really like it so for. First of all I love the lopey idle. It shakes the whole car and it sounds really good with the GT500 mufflers. Driving wise I really like it also. There is a definite seat of the pants increase. You can tell that 60lbs/ft of torque at 1500 rpms. It definitely has more low end grunt. Also a difference is the deceleration. Before it felt like the car had no decleration when down shifting. Now in all gears you can feel it and even in 6th gear. I haven't messed with the launch control yet. I've set it and gone through the motions to do it but I haven't actually done it yet. Overall I really like it. It came with a K&N filter, which I already had, and sold it to a friend of mine so that saved me some money on it. I would definitely get it again, you cant beat the performance gains, the launch control and the lopey idle.
gt5.0nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Thanks for this !

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
irishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
*UPDATE* Well I've been driving the car for the past few days and I really like it so for. First of all I love the lopey idle. It shakes the whole car and it sounds really good with the GT500 mufflers. Driving wise I really like it also. There is a definite seat of the pants increase. You can tell that 60lbs/ft of torque at 1500 rpms. It definitely has more low end grunt. Also a difference is the deceleration. Before it felt like the car had no decleration when down shifting. Now in all gears you can feel it and even in 6th gear. I haven't messed with the launch control yet. I've set it and gone through the motions to do it but I haven't actually done it yet. Overall I really like it. It came with a K&N filter, which I already had, and sold it to a friend of mine so that saved me some money on it. I would definitely get it again, you cant beat the performance gains, the launch control and the lopey idle.
What is the month of build for your car? I heard rumours some cars built before June 2013 may be able to accept this mod. Just curious. Awesome sound!
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
What is the month of build for your car? I heard rumours some cars built before June 2013 may be able to accept this mod. Just curious. Awesome sound!
8/2013
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Do you feel like the deceleration changes affect your gas mileage? Kinda hesitant to do this with my DD
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Do you feel like the deceleration changes affect your gas mileage? Kinda hesitant to do this with my DD
Yes it does. I went from about 19 MPG around town, no highway driving, to about 15 MPG. But the beauty of the TrackKey is you dont have to use it all the time. You can use your factory key for most of the time and when you want to have fun. Use the TrackKey.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Unfortunately I missed the build date cutoff so I would have to do the more permanent track cal. That's why I was asking :-/
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #98

Region: Colorado
I had a question about the track key... I sometimes put 87 gas in my car, if I get this tune/track key will I always have to put 91 gas all the time or can I still put 87 gas?
mustangluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangluvr View Post
I had a question about the track key... I sometimes put 87 gas in my car, if I get this tune/track key will I always have to put 91 gas all the time or can I still put 87 gas?
Yes you will have to use 91 "minimum" all the time. It is also recommended to add a passenger side oil separator as the coyote motor has a small amount of oil blow by but enough to slightly impact the octane of the incoming fuel.

This is true of the ProCal tune as well. Probably all performance enhancing tunes I would imagine.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #100

Thanks for the response! So even if I won't drive with the track key all the time I still have to put 91 gas all the time?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the response! So even if I won't drive with the track key all the time I still have to put 91 gas all the time?
First. Ford recommends 91 for this motor. Yes it can be driven with 87 but...
See this string Why Premium?

Yes you can use the standard key and then use 87 but when you want to use the Track Key you would need to be sure the tank is at least 91 octane and therefore you would need to run at least a tankful or two of 91 before using the Track Key or risk damage to your motor.
87 does impact the performance of the stock engine. The electronics have to compensate for the lower octane to avoid pinging.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #102

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by todcp View Post
First. Ford recommends 91 for this motor. Yes it can be driven with 87 but...
See this string Why Premium?

Yes you can use the standard key and then use 87 but when you want to use the Track Key you would need to be sure the tank is at least 91 octane and therefore you would need to run at least a tankful or two of 91 before using the Track Key or risk damage to your motor.
87 does impact the performance of the stock engine. The electronics have to compensate for the lower octane to avoid pinging.
Thanks for the help todcp!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #103

I was wondering if anyone who has the track key has any problems with "pinging?" They said get an oil separator if you experience pinging. And for those who have the track key, do you like it? Is it worth getting? Do I have to delete my cats because the lope idle?
Old 02-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone who has the track key has any problems with "pinging?" They said get an oil separator if you experience pinging. And for those who have the track key, do you like it? Is it worth getting? Do I have to delete my cats because the lope idle?
Bump...

I am about to pull the trigger on this and would like to know what you have to say. No one answered this post, sure would like some input on it.

Looking at purchasing through Tasca. They seem to have the best price and free ship. Anyone willing to share purchase experiences??
Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Also what should be included with the packet? Key, Software and? Heard there was a K&N filter?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion