4.6 vs 5.0 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #106
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
In the mustang, big angle is hard to maintain with the stock control arms. But I did recently add the bump steer kit and 40mm spacers that give me just a little more turning radius which helps out a lot. My S13 has a Wisefab big angle kit and that totally changed my drift game. The two most important parts needed for quality drift is, big angle and an LSD or welded gears.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #107
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
In the mustang, big angle is hard to maintain with the stock control arms. But I did recently add the bump steer kit and 40mm spacers that give me just a little more turning radius which helps out a lot. My S13 has a Wisefab big angle kit and that totally changed my drift game. The two most important parts needed for quality drift is, big angle and an LSD or welded gears.
Can I see a pic of your s13
Fat Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Why don't u get new control arms?
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pony View Post
x2! I think HE'S trolling us!!!!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #110
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
It's not pretty. But here ya go. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-202408984.png
Views:	158
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	137350 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-519313321.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	137349That's my S13 and my S14 which I'm currently building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
Why don't u get new control arms?
Because nobody makes big angle control arms I'd have to custom fab something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
x2! I think HE'S trolling us!!!!!

Name:   image-918349698.png
Views: 197
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #111
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
This thread is reopened. Let's keep the thread on topic this time around.
sweet!! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Mustangs have an LSD that's what the trac loc is
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Aren't you just a badass with all those car #jealous
theweekday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #113
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I just wish I didn't work so much so I could actually work on them. I've got the parts to do a valve job on my S13. I've got aluminum subframe bushings, 5 lug conversion and Z32 front and rear calipers for the S14 and I even have a new dashboard that needs to go into my cavalier. I just need the time to install it all.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #114
Road Trip!

Quote:
I just wish I didn't work so much so I could actually work on them. I've got the parts to do a valve job on my S13. I've got aluminum subframe bushings, 5 lug conversion and Z32 front and rear calipers for the S14 and I even have a new dashboard that needs to go into my cavalier. I just need the time to install it all.
Your not running KA are you?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #115
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Your not running KA are you?
Sure am! S13 has a Ka24e & the S14 has a Ka24de. Once I'm done building the S14's suspension, I'll be saving for a 2jz swap.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Sure am! S13 has a Ka24e & the S14 has a Ka24de. Once I'm done building the S14's suspension, I'll be saving for a 2jz swap.
We picked up a VH45 out of a infinity q45 from a local pull-a-part for a s14 swap. VH is the way to go for the money. Out of the box with an intake and exhaust your good for 300whp. 100% forged bottom end from factory.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #117
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
I would rather build a $5000 2v than start with a $30000 coyote. That automatically makes a 2v cheaper to build to get to almost the same powet

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

With the money you guys spend on payments for your 5.0 I'm putting that to trick flow heads forged bottom and blower.

So 4.6>5.0
The car itself is $30k, you can get the engine swapped in for about 10k.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #118
Road Trip!

Quote:
My man go to a red top SR that's what I had loved it coilovers bigger injectors
Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #119
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The car itself is $30k, you can get the engine swapped in for about 10k.
i <3 my 4.6
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #120
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LX306 View Post
We picked up a VH45 out of a infinity q45 from a local pull-a-part for a s14 swap. VH is the way to go for the money. Out of the box with an intake and exhaust your good for 300whp. 100% forged bottom end from factory.
I yanked an LSD out of a Q45. It really woke up my S13.

Quote:
My man go to a red top SR that's what I had loved it coilovers bigger injectors
That's what most of the guys around here do. I don't have anything against the SR20, I just wanna do something a little different. If I can't find a 2jz for around $5k I might do an LS1 swap on the S14. A 5.0 would be a sweet swap but it might be more fabrication then I'm prepared for.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #121
Road Trip!

Quote:
I yanked an LSD out of a Q45. It really woke up my S13. That's what most of the guys around here do. I don't have anything against the SR20, I just wanna do something a little different. If I can't find a 2jz for around $5k I might do an LS1 swap on the S14. A 5.0 would be a sweet swap but it might be more fabrication then I'm prepared for.
Where I'm at a 2jz is nothing less than 6k and the sr runs 2k and you can make an SR put you in the back of your seat a lot cheaper lol I loved my SR every second I had it I never had gas tho anytime I drove it, I would boost everywhere I was going which ate my gas up ): but worth every penny. 2jz is sick don't get me wrong and you will have a rare 240 I just like to keep it basic and stay slidewayz
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #122
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Omg! I'm blown away! Fat pony does actually have car knowledge and is puttin it on display! Jp bro. Primer has some sick rides. His pony is not shabby by any means.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #123
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Omg! I'm blown away! Fat pony does actually have car knowledge and is puttin it on display! Jp bro. Primer has some sick rides. His pony is not shabby by any means.
too bad it's on the most random thread lol
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #124
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Why thank ya!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I read this about the 5.0 coyote motor sounds like 550 Hp is the max it can handle safely.

Based on the failures that have been reported, I don't think it's fair to say that 650 is "safe". I am assuming that you are referring to RWHP? Every failure that I have read about involved pushing it higher than 600 RWHP. I still don't know of anyone who was running under 600, with a reputable tune, and had an engine failure. There are quite a few in the 620 and up range that paid the price, though. Unless you don't plan to really drive it hard at all (to which I would say, what's the point then?), I wouldn't go higher than 600ish RWHP. Some would even say lower, like 550.

I installed a Roush TVS on my 2011 at 10K miles, and I am now at 16K with no problems. As much as I would love to crank up the boost some more and upgrade the driveshaft, clutch, and fuel system, I would rather not deal with having to rebuild the engine. I am at 576 RWHP which is HELLA FUN on the streets, and I am pretty content with it. We all want more, but you have to balance your wants with your checkbook.

So it seems the 4.6 3V isn't far behind on a safe number of Hp hmmm....
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

About the 4.6 3 V 2005-2010

The only examples I have ever seen of a blown 4.6 3v (blown as in destroyed, not FI hehe) are either over 10 psi, over 6300rpm, or a tune that was too aggressive. In 2005, people learned exactly what the limit of this engine is, and adjusted tunes accordingly. Since then, the one's who blow their engines either do it at the track, or have a "dyno tune" instead of the one the supercharger manufacturer sent them, or were driving in a manner that was destined to break something.

Finally, I just want to add that while all the supporting mods are necessary once you go built and exceed about 550 rwhp and 500 rwtq, the factory stuff can handle below that with ease, assuming once again that you are not rodding the heck out of it. Many people go with a built (forged) engine, go to 550-600 rwhp and the only change is the clutch. (fuel system is a given but most supercharger or turbo kits address this).
Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #127
Staff
Regular
Staff

I still would not trust the stock modular rods past 425-450whp but that's just me. But yeah MANY failures are from the tune and a dyno tune vs the one Vortech sends you is not a bad thing at all (example) but not all tuners are created equal. You get a crap tune or some idiot working on your car and boom goes the dynamite.

IMO, by the time one gets done installing a blower/cams/k member/bells and whistles etc... it is not really anything much more to put a good bottom end in it. If you can do heads/cams you can pull the motor, it comes right out really. Not like some FWD headache where you have to disconnect the whole goddamn car. I plan on having well under $1500 on my Teksid shortblock good for 800+ to the wheels.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I still would not trust the stock modular rods past 425-450whp but that's just me. But yeah MANY failures are from the tune and a dyno tune vs the one Vortech sends you is not a bad thing at all (example) but not all tuners are created equal. You get a crap tune or some idiot working on your car and boom goes the dynamite.

IMO, by the time one gets done installing a blower/cams/k member/bells and whistles etc... it is not really anything much more to put a good bottom end in it. If you can do heads/cams you can pull the motor, it comes right out really. Not like some FWD headache where you have to disconnect the whole goddamn car. I plan on having well under $1500 on my Teksid shortblock good for 800+ to the wheels.
A safer number would be under 500 rwhp but 550 would be max I think for a stock motor or around 650-700 Hp at the crank. It is critical to have a great tune . Of course forged internals is a different story but at the 700 to 800rwhp one would have to upgrade the transmission , rear end , drive shaft either with a coyote or 4.6.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #129
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
A safer number would be under 500 rwhp but 550 would be max I think for a stock motor or around 650-700 Hp at the crank. It is critical to have a great tune . Of course forged internals is a different story but at the 700 to 800rwhp one would have to upgrade the transmission , rear end , drive shaft either with a coyote or 4.6.
I'm going to upgrade the whole car. Doing the trans this spring which will be good for 500 with the stock shaft and then it'll just be a simple matter of swapping to 26 spline when the big power motor goes in and it'll be good for whatever. Was going to swap to built auto or whatever but I can rebuild the T-45 for $700 myself so that's the budget option.

And I still say 400-425 is about where I'd feel comfortable with the stock block but I'm probably not going to push the stocker even that far. You don't even need close to that much power to run some respectable street car times in these cars.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm going to upgrade the whole car. Doing the trans this spring which will be good for 500 with the stock shaft and then it'll just be a simple matter of swapping to 26 spline when the big power motor goes in and it'll be good for whatever. Was going to swap to built auto or whatever but I can rebuild the T-45 for $700 myself so that's the budget option.

And I still say 400-425 is about where I'd feel comfortable with the stock block but I'm probably not going to push the stocker even that far. You don't even need close to that much power to run some respectable street car times in these cars.

True my mustang will have around 450 rwhp and similar numbers for the TQ or 550hp at the crank when I install my e-force with my kenne bell boost a pump and competition air intake , that`s about as high as I want to go with my stock motor , trans and a good tune. My boost will run just under the magic 10 psi .. That is a LOT of power and I don`t drag race so it will be a nice daily driver in the spring , summer when the roads are nice. She is parked for the winter now time to use my skis and SUV and head to the mountains.. That is pretty cheap to rebuild your trans for 700 $.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

How is this even a contest? A sluggish and slow motor vs the coyote. Coyote wins all day no matter what
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
How is this even a contest? A sluggish and slow motor vs the coyote. Coyote wins all day no matter what
Lol this guy
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are dumb
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #134
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Bahaha
Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you even read my post on the coyote , for safety reasons 550 rwhp is about all it can handle similar to the 4.6 L that being said both are capable of that number so where is your sluggish motor ha... If I increase my boost with a smaller pulley I can run 550 rwhp no problem but for me 450rwhp is good for a daily driver however if I feel I want more power it`s there that`s the benefit of a BLOWER.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
You are dumb
+1

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
Did you even read my post on the coyote , for safety reasons 550 rwhp is about all it can handle similar to the 4.6 L that being said both are capable of that number so where is your sluggish motor ha... If I increase my boost with a smaller pulley I can run 550 rwhp no problem but for me 450rwhp is good for a daily driver however if I feel I want more power it`s there that`s the benefit of a BLOWER.
+2 lol
Old 11-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #137
Road Trip!

Quote:
says the guy with a v6 lol
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao
Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #140
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Funny as I've seen cammed 2V cars making a little under 300whp outrun bolt on Coyotes making a lot more at the track.

2Vs are great because ppl like you exists ALL OVER THE PLACE. "lol 4.6 get a REAL motor!" and then promptly get 4 car lengths put on them because the little 2V car has quality mods, 4.10s/4.30s, sticky tires and suspension.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion