4.6 vs 5.0 - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

Yup a termi is a 4.6
It's a forged blown 4.6 that still gets out ran by a NA 5.0 :/ lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #282
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Sure your 600 supercharged 4.6 will eat up a 420 HP 5.0 but a supercharged 5.0 that's making 700 HP plus is again on top of the 4.6.

I can turn up the boost on my BLOWER just as well , no advantage , for what I have read the 5.0 is only safe up to 550 hp without being forged so no advantage
I can forge my internals and make more power too 700 + All at a cheaper price
than buying a new 5.0 .

Advantage 4.6
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
A new 5.0 has a 0 to 60 time of 4.5 and 1/4 mile time of 12.9 and a 4v mach 1 o To 60 is 4.7 and 1/4 mile at 13.0 so is there no comparison???
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #284
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
A 50 shot nitrous 5.0 would probably beat a blown 4.6

That would only equal to 470 HP not 600HP
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

I can turn up the boost on my BLOWER just as well , no advantage , for what I have read the 5.0 is only safe up to 550 hp without being forged so no advantage
than buying a new 5.0 .

Advantage 4.6
.... Who did you get your information on what a stock 5.0 can handle from?? There's many guys on SVTP running in the 600s stock bottom end. Had a local guy running the mid 600s for a couple years before he finally tossed a rod with a 2.3 TVS
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #286
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Yup a termi is a 4.6
A 4.6 that's hand made, fully forged engine and supercharged. factory it has like 390 HP but where its awesome is the amount of boost you can give the engine because its fully forged.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Quote:

than buying a new 5.0 .

Advantage 4.6
I'm pretty sure your low on that. The factory 5.0 engine can safely handle 625 HP. lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #287
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A 4.6 that's hand made, fully forged engine and supercharged. factory it has like 390 HP but where its awesome is the amount of boost you can give the engine because its fully forged.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure your low on that. The factory 5.0 engine can safely handle 625 HP. lol

Exactly a fully forget 4.6 is NO JOKE.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #288
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly a fully forget 4.6 is NO JOKE.
True that bro, no joke but someone please correct me but the terminator engine has more than just forged pistons, rods and crankshaft. The whole entire engine is forged , correct?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

Quote from a 5.0 owner.

Based on the failures that have been reported, I don't think it's fair to say that 650 is "safe". I am assuming that you are referring to RWHP? Every failure that I have read about involved pushing it higher than 600 RWHP. I still don't know of anyone who was running under 600, with a reputable tune, and had an engine failure. There are quite a few in the 620 and up range that paid the price, though. Unless you don't plan to really drive it hard at all (to which I would say, what's the point then?), I wouldn't go higher than 600ish RWHP. Some would even say lower, like 550.

I installed a Roush TVS on my 2011 at 10K miles, and I am now at 16K with no problems. As much as I would love to crank up the boost some more and upgrade the driveshaft, clutch, and fuel system, I would rather not deal with having to rebuild the engine. I am at 576 RWHP which is HELLA FUN on the streets, and I am pretty content with it. We all want more, but you have to balance your wants with your checkbook.

That said, if my **** pops, I'm getting it built. I love this car too damned much.

Like I said 550 Hp is about the max without going forged the 4.6 is no different.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote:
True that bro, no joke but someone please correct me but the terminator engine has more than just forged pistons, rods and crankshaft. The whole entire engine is forged , correct?

Now your starting to see the light Kona lol...

Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #290
Road Trip!

Region: California
Does anybody have a forged 3.7? Bahaha
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #291
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Well that is what a forged motor is: forged rods, pistons, and crank.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Quote from a 5.0 owner.

Based on the failures that have been reported, I don't think it's fair to say that 650 is "safe". I am assuming that you are referring to RWHP? Every failure that I have read about involved pushing it higher than 600 RWHP. I still don't know of anyone who was running under 600, with a reputable tune, and had an engine failure. There are quite a few in the 620 and up range that paid the price, though. Unless you don't plan to really drive it hard at all (to which I would say, what's the point then?), I wouldn't go higher than 600ish RWHP. Some would even say lower, like 550.

I installed a Roush TVS on my 2011 at 10K miles, and I am now at 16K with no problems. As much as I would love to crank up the boost some more and upgrade the driveshaft, clutch, and fuel system, I would rather not deal with having to rebuild the engine. I am at 576 RWHP which is HELLA FUN on the streets, and I am pretty content with it. We all want more, but you have to balance your wants with your checkbook.

That said, if my **** pops, I'm getting it built. I love this car too damned much.

Like I said 550 Hp is about the max without going forged the 4.6 is no different.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Now your starting to see the light Kona lol...

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #292
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I thought This was 4.6 vs 5.0 not but the 03/04 cobras they don't count because lol they are a 4.6?
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #293
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
I thought This was 4.6 vs 5.0 not but the 03/04 cobras they don't count because lol they are a 4.6?
+1
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #294
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
That would only equal to 470 HP not 600HP
Either way, numbers don't mean ****. Especially with the 7-7500rpm redline the 5.0 has. While your missing shifts the 5.0 will still be in the same gear pulling.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

600Hp IS not the same level as 420 hp SORRY. A stock 5.0 would be a joke with my set up ....

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Be sure to post up those time slips
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #296
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Be sure to post up those time slips
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2262434371.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	138523
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #297
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ford was installing supercharger kits on the 2011 when they came out WITH WARRANTIES that pushed 600hp so that is what it is. I think they still do it. Regardless I would not run a 4.6L above 425ish whp because I would like it to last awhile. I've seen the carnage from when a rod lets go and the rods in these motors are suspect at best. Modular weak point is the rods, pushrods is the block, modular wins that battle espeically with the Boss rods dropping right in at $20/rod lol. Obviously its not just $160 and go but you get the idea vs a $2500 DART block that also adds a ton of weight to the nose of the car.

As for the Terminator, yes Manley rods and the reason for Manley rods was... the stock powdered rods kept blowing on the test engines and SVT had to do some major convincing to get the accountants to accept $50 per rod vs about $1 per rod (Ford's cost). The pistons are actually the weak point in the Termi and also limit it "safely" to about 600-700hp although you'll hear plenty of ppl going over that with success.

And again, if we are just going by comparison of engines it isn't even an argument. The Coyote is in another universe plain and simple. Just on a design standpoint alone and what it can do with a measly 302 cubes. With money and mods and the platform... it gets vague and all boils down to what you like.

I'll still take a Terminator over anything simply because its "The Terminator" and they are also going up in value the older they get as long as you keep the miles off. They're going to go down as one of the greatest Mustangs of all time, maybe the greatest. I mean it killed the Camaro ffs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #298
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Gladiatoro. Is a troll guys.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #299
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ford was installing supercharger kits on the 2011 when they came out WITH WARRANTIES that pushed 600hp so that is what it is. I think they still do it. Regardless I would not run a 4.6L above 425ish whp because I would like it to last awhile. I've seen the carnage from when a rod lets go and the rods in these motors are suspect at best. Modular weak point is the rods, pushrods is the block, modular wins that battle espeically with the Boss rods dropping right in at $20/rod lol. Obviously its not just $160 and go but you get the idea vs a $2500 DART block that also adds a ton of weight to the nose of the car.

As for the Terminator, yes Manley rods and the reason for Manley rods was... the stock powdered rods kept blowing on the test engines and SVT had to do some major convincing to get the accountants to accept $50 per rod vs about $1 per rod (Ford's cost). The pistons are actually the weak point in the Termi and also limit it "safely" to about 600-700hp although you'll hear plenty of ppl going over that with success.

And again, if we are just going by comparison of engines it isn't even an argument. The Coyote is in another universe plain and simple. Just on a design standpoint alone and what it can do with a measly 302 cubes. With money and mods and the platform... it gets vague and all boils down to what you like.

I'll still take a Terminator over anything simply because its "The Terminator" and they are also going up in value the older they get as long as you keep the miles off. They're going to go down as one of the greatest Mustangs of all time, maybe the greatest. I mean it killed the Camaro ffs.

Similar to our 525 HP kit with the E-force, this system comes complete with JDM Custom Tuning by James D'Amore using the SCT XCAL3 Flash Device, Edebrock Cold air intake 15808, and NGK spark plugs. This time around the kit comes with larger 60lb injectors instead of the 39LB and the GT500 Ford Racing Fuel System M-9407-GT05 which supplies all the fuel to the engine that it will need while running 12 psi boost with the 3.25” pulley.

The addition of these components raises the power level of the Supercharger to 600 HP at the engine! This is the most you want to put through your stock motor internals. If you chose to forget your motor or go with a Team JDM 302E 3V Short Block you can raise the boost levels on this supercharger kit to over 17 psi, making over 700 HP!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #301
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Similar to our 525 HP kit with the E-force, this system comes complete with JDM Custom Tuning by James D'Amore using the SCT XCAL3 Flash Device, Edebrock Cold air intake 15808, and NGK spark plugs. This time around the kit comes with larger 60lb injectors instead of the 39LB and the GT500 Ford Racing Fuel System M-9407-GT05 which supplies all the fuel to the engine that it will need while running 12 psi boost with the 3.25” pulley.

The addition of these components raises the power level of the Supercharger to 600 HP at the engine! This is the most you want to put through your stock motor internals. If you chose to forget your motor or go with a Team JDM 302E 3V Short Block you can raise the boost levels on this supercharger kit to over 17 psi, making over 700 HP!

No doubt the 4.6 engine is not a weak engine. You put forged internals, supercharger, bigger cams, heads, pulleys in most cars and it will be a beast. One could take the 5.0 engine, forge the engine add boost and again will be on top of the 4.6. Depending on how much money people are willing to dump into their engine will determine how much power they will get. Most vehicles can be made fast if someone wants to spend the money.

The terminator cobra has a supercharger and still made less HP in stock format compared to the 14 5.0. It shows the coyote engine is just a far advanced engine to make 420 HP with no supercharger. Think if SVT made the coyote engine with all forged engine parts and supercharger now a days, how much boost and power could it hold?

I'm not taking anything away from the 03/04 Cobras and back then it was ahead of its time in advancements. Now a days , the engines are making that power and way some, all natural with no boost and getting 25 mpg to boot. The 4.6 is a great engine but its old technology.

Its like comparing an advanced 10 year old lap top computer to a current base 2014 laptop computer. Sure, the 10 year old computer was great back then for its time but not the low end laptop will be more advanced because technology improved. Evolution gentlemen. Out with the old and in with the new.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
So true, I was about to bring up the Wiseco, but that's a 5.0 upgraded to a 5.8
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #303
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

???

Quote:
No doubt the 4.6 engine is not a weak engine. You put forged internals, supercharger, bigger cams, heads, pulleys in most cars and it will be a beast. One could take the 5.0 engine, forge the engine add boost and again will be on top of the 4.6. Depending on how much money people are willing to dump into their engine will determine how much power they will get. Most vehicles can be made fast if someone wants to spend the money.

The terminator cobra has a supercharger and still made less HP in stock format compared to the 14 5.0. It shows the coyote engine is just a far advanced engine to make 420 HP with no supercharger. Think if SVT made the coyote engine with all forged engine parts and supercharger now a days, how much boost and power could it hold?

I'm not taking anything away from the 03/04 Cobras and back then it was ahead of its time in advancements. Now a days , the engines are making that power and way some, all natural with no boost and getting 25 mpg to boot. The 4.6 is a great engine but its old technology.

Its like comparing an advanced 10 year old lap top computer to a current base 2014 laptop computer. Sure, the 10 year old computer was great back then for its time but not the low end laptop will be more advanced because technology improved. Evolution gentlemen. Out with the old and in with the new.
Termi makes more power than the Coyote stock for stock. Also if you want to compare MPGs I'll take an "old tech" LS1 pushrod that gets better MPG than both the Coyote and the 4V and is nothing more than an aluminum small block motor. Also makes great power while doing it.

Agreed the Coyote is a great advanced platform but better... Honestly it has to be so advanced to meet all the federal emissions/mpg regulations and GM is still doing that with the LS engines. I'll still take a Terminator any day if we are talking about straight up power.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #304
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
??? Termi makes more power than the Coyote stock for stock. Also if you want to compare MPGs I'll take an "old tech" LS1 pushrod that gets better MPG than both the Coyote and the 4V and is nothing more than an aluminum small block motor. Also makes great power while doing it. Agreed the Coyote is a great advanced platform but better... Honestly it has to be so advanced to meet all the federal emissions/mpg regulations and GM is still doing that with the LS engines. I'll still take a Terminator any day if we are talking about straight up power.
+1 what my mustang gets for highway mpg my parents corvette gets for city mpg.

HID end all thread
Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #305
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
???

Termi makes more power than the Coyote stock for stock. Also if you want to compare MPGs I'll take an "old tech" LS1 pushrod that gets better MPG than both the Coyote and the 4V and is nothing more than an aluminum small block motor. Also makes great power while doing it.

Agreed the Coyote is a great advanced platform but better... Honestly it has to be so advanced to meet all the federal emissions/mpg regulations and GM is still doing that with the LS engines. I'll still take a Terminator any day if we are talking about straight up power.

The Termi is a great motor no doubt and a 4.6 at that ha.... older technology
but proven technology that being said the 4.6 3V done up is no joke and
can run with the best of them.... the debate continues.....

Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Motor info a stock 4.6 block can be used to build a Termi motor cool.

Ford, GM, And Chrysler Aluminum Crate Engines - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Old 11-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #307
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The Termi is a great motor no doubt and a 4.6 at that ha.... older technology
but proven technology that being said the 4.6 3V done up is no joke and
can run with the best of them.... the debate continues.....

Anything "done up" can run with the best of them
Old 11-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #308
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy price tag Hemi!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131128_113811.png
Views:	112
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	138781
Old 11-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #309
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Anything "done up" can run with the best of them
+1
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #310
Road Trip!

I like how the modular block can take up to like 1000hp while the OLD 5.0 can take like 450-500hp.

So you just get some forged pistons/rods on a 4.6 and your good to go!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #311
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Holy price tag Hemi!!!
Not much more than a crate LS7 lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #312
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Not much more than a crate LS7 lol
Yea I'd build my own for that kinda money lol
Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #313
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Holy price tag Hemi!!!
Lol, for another 10k you can get the whole car.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #314
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy price tag Hemi!!!
I think I just crapped myself
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #315
Registered Member
Regular

LS3 FTW
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion