S197 or New Edge - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You'll find much better deals if you go private party. For 12-14k you can get a pretty good shape Mach. Same with the 99/01 cobras. Just need to go through Craigslist with a fine tooth comb. That cobra you posted would be a nice deal if it's legit. No cobras came with a stock Automatic, but if it was swapped for an auto, that'd be nice.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Test drive a 2V, test drive a 4V and test drive a S197 and see what YOU like better. Don't go soley on the internet.

You can get a SN95/Edge for MUUUUCCCHHH cheaper than a S197 even a 4V Cobra or Mach if you look. Just for giggles I sometimes look for a really nice S197 and the premium on them is holding pretty good...

I have a soft spot for the 94-98 body style so when I saw an already done PI swapped and all the bolt ons 98 I jumped on it. The edges can look AMAZING when done properly. The Fox4 platform (79-04) is light, simple, easy to work on and the parts for it are cheap/plentiful. It is also unrefined, needs a lot of help to handle well and being a design from the mid 70s it will never feel like a newer modern car. The interiors in the 94-04 cars, while better than the fox, are still dated and fisher price like. Mostly function over form and it does function very well. The 01-04 cars even have pretty nice center consoles and a big double din bezel (which can both be swapped into any 94-up car) but compared to the S197...

The S197 is much more refined, bigger, roomier, GREAT interior, shifter easier to reach, lots of goodies, smooth and can look awesome with the right mods too. I personally HATE them in stock form but with the right wheels/tires, body kit, front fascia etc... They are also heavier and parts for them are pricier and not as abundant as the earlier cars.

As far as sound... I'm guessing most ppl here have never heard a hot cammed 3V. If you had, you would not be saying the 4V sounds better. In stock form the 4V sounds the best but with some nice cams the 2V sounds the best, followed by a cammed 3V and then the 4V, IMO, sounds great still but not as agressive as the other two.

So in a nutshell, after all that, go for test drives in all the stangs you are interested in and go from there. Don't let a salesman pressure you with the old "this will only last a few hours at this price" crap. I just tell them "yeah it will and if it doesn't there will be another one".

Don't rush into it and find the one YOU want. For me, I want a car that is cheap, cheap to insure, easy to mod, fast and light so it was the SN95/Edge style for me. If you want a comfy DD that can be fast, sound good, look good and all the modern bells/whistles you probably want a S197 but like I said, test drive test drive test drive.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
You'll find much better deals if you go private party. For 12-14k you can get a pretty good shape Mach. Same with the 99/01 cobras. Just need to go through Craigslist with a fine tooth comb. That cobra you posted would be a nice deal if it's legit. No cobras came with a stock Automatic, but if it was swapped for an auto, that'd be nice.
It was the manual in the pics, idky they have it listed as auto. And naw i don't go with private party

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Test drive a 2V, test drive a 4V and test drive a S197 and see what YOU like better. Don't go soley on the internet.

You can get a SN95/Edge for MUUUUCCCHHH cheaper than a S197 even a 4V Cobra or Mach if you look. Just for giggles I sometimes look for a really nice S197 and the premium on them is holding pretty good...

I have a soft spot for the 94-98 body style so when I saw an already done PI swapped and all the bolt ons 98 I jumped on it. The edges can look AMAZING when done properly. The Fox4 platform (79-04) is light, simple, easy to work on and the parts for it are cheap/plentiful. It is also unrefined, needs a lot of help to handle well and being a design from the mid 70s it will never feel like a newer modern car. The interiors in the 94-04 cars, while better than the fox, are still dated and fisher price like. Mostly function over form and it does function very well. The 01-04 cars even have pretty nice center consoles and a big double din bezel (which can both be swapped into any 94-up car) but compared to the S197...

The S197 is much more refined, bigger, roomier, GREAT interior, shifter easier to reach, lots of goodies, smooth and can look awesome with the right mods too. I personally HATE them in stock form but with the right wheels/tires, body kit, front fascia etc... They are also heavier and parts for them are pricier and not as abundant as the earlier cars.

As far as sound... I'm guessing most ppl here have never heard a hot cammed 3V. If you had, you would not be saying the 4V sounds better. In stock form the 4V sounds the best but with some nice cams the 2V sounds the best, followed by a cammed 3V and then the 4V, IMO, sounds great still but not as agressive as the other two.

So in a nutshell, after all that, go for test drives in all the stangs you are interested in and go from there. Don't let a salesman pressure you with the old "this will only last a few hours at this price" crap. I just tell them "yeah it will and if it doesn't there will be another one".

Don't rush into it and find the one YOU want. For me, I want a car that is cheap, cheap to insure, easy to mod, fast and light so it was the SN95/Edge style for me. If you want a comfy DD that can be fast, sound good, look good and all the modern bells/whistles you probably want a S197 but like I said, test drive test drive test drive.
Theres actually a great looking 98 gt, looks like its in amazing shape and is listed at 3,500, which isnt alot of money but the car has like 163k
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termi View Post
It was the manual in the pics, idky they have it listed as auto. And naw i don't go with private party

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Theres actually a great looking 98 gt, looks like its in amazing shape and is listed at 3,500, which isnt alot of money but the car has like 163k
Might be nice looking but you need to always get underneath cars that age and with that mileage and look at the body and any sort of rust/corrosion issues.

And $3500 is too much for it if its bone stock. That's closer to a $2k car.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I say before you pop on a car make surr you get a manual. I regret the day I bought an automatic mustang
FriedChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
I say before you pop on a car make surr you get a manual. I regret the day I bought an automatic mustang
This is all subjective too. Auto modulars are faster in the 1/4 with a few cheap tweaks to the trans.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is all subjective too. Auto modulars are faster in the 1/4 with a few cheap tweaks to the trans.
I mean for people who dont really drag or really get into modding a car

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:

You are right tho. I installed a high stall converter, manual valve body, jmod and trans cooler and shaved off on my 0-60 time but still not fun to cruise in like a manual
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

You don't jmod a non stock valve body.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I reused the seperator plate
Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well then there you go, I was le confuse.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Haha srry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« MGW shifter | 90mm »