S197 or New Edge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
S197 or New Edge

I've been wanting a mustang for a long time, and am now finally seriously looking for one. Theres some that have already caught my eye. Question is, for those of you with experience with both, which one would y'all recommend? I can go out a drive the and see what i prefer at the moment, but what about long term reliability, response to mods? Things like that. I could use any advice with those with experience
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
For interior i would choose s197 it looks way beter and te leather seats are really nice along with the stealing wheel
Exterior NE lowered with fat tires i love but I'm kinda biased power 3v make good power but a cobra or Mach will be beter

Sound
Can't beat a 4v or 2v for that matter 3vs idk i don't really enjoy there sound as much

Price is also another thing for a base s197 gt you can get a Mach 1 or a 99 or 00 cobra
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termi View Post
I've been wanting a mustang for a long time, and am now finally seriously looking for one. Theres some that have already caught my eye. Question is, for those of you with experience with both, which one would y'all recommend? I can go out a drive the and see what i prefer at the moment, but what about long term reliability, response to mods? Things like that. I could use any advice with those with experience
I've owned both.. Hmm . I'd say if you have the money, the s197's are a lot of fun and come with a ridiculous amount of options, interior goodies and come stock with more power. However, if you're just looking for something fun and simple, the new edges are pretty much the car. Easy enough to work on, extremely reliable, cheap to modify, satisfying amount of power and good looks that have lasted through time (more so than the 94-98 sn95's). I went from a 99 GT to 14 GT. The difference is dramatic. There are a lot of reason why I prefer this one now,but the new edge had something about it that was uniquely bad *** and it has it's own appeal. I think it mostly comes down to your budget.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
For interior i would choose s197 it looks way beter and te leather seats are really nice along with the stealing wheel Exterior NE lowered with fat tires i love but I'm kinda biased power 3v make good power but a cobra or Mach will be beter Sound Can't beat a 4v or 2v for that matter 3vs idk i don't really enjoy there sound as much Price is also another thing for a base s197 gt you can get a Mach 1 or a 99 or 00 cobra
yeah I've seen polls on other mustang sites where 3v was on the bottom of 4.6 sound lol. Even a 2v sounds better.

Interior is nicer. If you get a new edge like the guy above me said make it a good one. Cobra or Mach. Or get a s197 with like 40 or something more hp
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alot of it is just to have little hot rod fun car. I have my 91 f150 and my 08 6.4 monster for daily driving and work. I want something that responds to mods well and can hold up to those mods long term. Interior, its nice and all, but i've never really gave a **** about interior as long as its not ungodly ugly. I was wanting a new edge for the longest time, but everyone is always telling me how slow they are (of course the cobras being an exception). Is there a big difference between the two gens performance wise? My budget would be about 7-12k. Modding of course not included
Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
yeah I've seen polls on other mustang sites where 3v was on the bottom of 4.6 sound lol. Even a 2v sounds better. Interior is nicer. If you get a new edge like the guy above me said make it a good one. Cobra or Mach. Or get a s197 with like 40 or something more hp
Oh yea sound wise the the 3v is at the bottom and 4v on top without a doubt, interior absolutely no comparison the s197 blows it away, exterior IMO new edge is one gorgeous machine when done up the right way, of course the 3v is going to be quicker than the 2v when you purchase, comes down to preference man.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alot of it is just to have little hot rod fun car. I have my 91 f150 and my 08 6.4 monster for daily driving and work. I want something that responds to mods well and can hold up to those mods long term. Interior, its nice and all, but i've never really gave a **** about interior as long as its not ungodly ugly. I was wanting a new edge for the longest time, but everyone is always telling me how slow they are (of course the cobras being an exception). Is there a big difference between the two gens performance wise? My budget would be about 7-12k. Modding of course not included
Yeah the s197 are a lot faster stock to stock. I know it's only technically 40 hp difference, but the newer platform really performed well off the line. Though, they both respond as well to mods, you'll find yourself happier with the mods you do on your s197. Though, if you want the best of both worlds, I would try to find a 4v 99-04 like a 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach I. They make 305/315 hp respectively and nothing beats the growl of a 4v 4.6. You will grin ear to ear when driving it and they just look awesome. I'm sure you could find an early cobra for that price
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i knew about the 4 valve but aren't really considering them because i figured a mach or cobra would be out of my budget.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

At least the ones ive seen

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...655_isFeatured

Heres an s197 im looking at
Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah i knew about the 4 valve but aren't really considering them because i figured a mach or cobra would be out of my budget.
You'd be surprised. Have a look around. Obviously there are less of them than there are regular run of the mill gt's, but if you can get to your hands on one; don't pass the chance. You'll never regret it. I regretted my chance to get one. I took my 99 over a 99 cobra that was 6k more at the time. I could afford it, but I was worried about not having a lot of wiggle room with my budget. Anyways, I missed out and now il never go back to new edges. I don't imagine anyways. If I pick up a second mustang, it'll be a first gen to play around with.

That's a great looking 05. Can't go wrong with that! I'd lose the rims and change the exhaust and that alone would double your enjoyment from the car. They respond extremely well to air intakes, exhaust and tunes right off the bat. Ask the 05-09 guys , but I think it's something like 19-25 rwhp with CAI/exhaust/Tune
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Road Trip!

2v are cool too though. Not the fastest thing around, but can be made to go just as fast as any other car out there.

($1500 vortech DIY)
Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=63696503

Heres a new edge im looking at.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Weird looking 2002. It's got a v6 hood and some cheaper v6 bullitts off the 05-09 mustangs. Those hoods typically came on 99-03 v6 mustangs and 99-2000 gt's. The hood scoops were optional at that point I believe and or reserved for the limited production 35th anniversary (99 only, also had silver painted trim bezels, black and silver upholstery and black out trunk deck lid. ) also it's got the tri bar emblems on the side and those only came on v6's. The lights look right for a 2002, but the rest doesn't seem to work. I was gonna say it may have been accidented and the hood was replaced with a v6 or 99-00 hood or they just got the year wrong and be upgraded the lights to 01-04 cause the black head lights were nicer than the chrome ones

Wait never mind. It's got one tri bar and one gt. Hmm, it's a legit gt, but it's got some weird stuff going on.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Oh thanks for that info, that eliminates that one lol. I was looking at it cuz it seemed pretty cheap. Guess i know why.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh thanks for that info, that eliminates that one lol. I was looking at it cuz it seemed pretty cheap. Guess i know why.
I just checked again, I think it's legit. I just noticed one side has a gt badge and the other is a tri bar. He might've just done that himself. The rest looks fine. Rear bumper, seats are from a gt etc. the hood just kind of psyched me a bit cause it didn't work for the years they typically came on, but who knows. Though, for the money, the guys on here have been finding way nicer examples. If you have to go GT , i recommend the 03/04.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
I just checked again, I think it's legit. I just noticed one side has a gt badge and the other is a tri bar. He might've just done that himself. The rest looks fine. Rear bumper, seats are from a gt etc. the hood just kind of psyched me a bit cause it didn't work for the years they typically came on, but who knows. Though, for the money, the guys on here have been finding way nicer examples. If you have to go GT , i recommend the 03/04.
04 GTs are awesome

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
the last of a certain model usually has all the bugs worked out of it from all the years before it
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
04 GTs are awesome ---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ---------- the last of a certain model usually has all the bugs worked out of it from all the years before it
Not that there were too many bugs with the new edge mustang. This would be because of how heavily it borrowed from the 94-98 mustang. That model worked out a lot of kinks in the platform that didn't need to be addressed on the 99-04. For instance, the 96-98 were the first mustangs to receive the early 4.6. The first release of this engine saw itself plagued with head issues (blowing lots of spark plugs because of clearance problems) and the venerable cracking upper intakes. Ford return with the PI 4.6 (present in the 99-04) and it addressed these issues, while also gaining close to 50 horses. Good cars man. Had mine for 5/6 years and it was a joy to own. Never had any problems , other than routine maintenance .
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Not that there were too many bugs with the new edge mustang. This would be because of how heavily it borrowed from the 94-98 mustang. That model worked out a lot of kinks in the platform that didn't need to be addressed on the 99-04. For instance, the 96-98 were the first mustangs to receive the early 4.6. The first release of this engine saw itself plagued with head issues (blowing lots of spark plugs because of clearance problems) and the venerable cracking upper intakes. Ford return with the PI 4.6 (present in the 99-04) and it addressed these issues, while also gaining close to 50 horses. Good cars man. Had mine for 5/6 years and it was a joy to own. Never had any problems , other than routine maintenance .
yeah it's the same engine in crown Vic's in cop cars and taxis. They're bulletproof these guys drive all day everyday beating in the engine not even letting it warm up, and they last forever. They're very very dependable
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Just like the 3.8 in the v6s are very reliable and last along time
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Nothing beats a cammed 2v anyway

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Nothing beats a cammed 2v anyway
except ANY other v8 car lol
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
except ANY other v8 car lol
Sound wise

HID end all thread
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sound wise
Well a canned 4v with if road h sounds pretty sick too
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
Well a canned 4v with if road h sounds pretty sick too
It does, but you can't have a super aggressive lope because of the 4 cams they overlap too much and make it sound weird.

HID end all thread
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It does, but you can't have a super aggressive lope because of the 4 cams they overlap too much and make it sound weird.
Yea i know god what I wouldn't do for a 01 cobra
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
4 cams, that's expensive af :-'(
Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Depends on how much you have to spend. I would say if you can afford it the S197 is much more refined in the interior and a little less cheap feeling. Engines are nearly the same. Honestly you can't go wrong with either! My only regret is not buying a Mustang sooner! Yeah it's only a six , but man I love owning a part of history. Nothing is more fun than meeting and cruising with other Mustang owners. So whatever you choose you can't go wrong.

**I would stay away from the 05 it's been real hit and miss with issues, but the 06 and up should do you just fine. Also when things do break they're easy to fix.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
4 cams, that's expensive af :-'(
That's why people like doing FI on mod motors and engine work on pushrods. A pushrod only has 1 cam.

HID end all thread
Old 11-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's why people like doing FI on mod motors and engine work on pushrods. A pushrod only has 1 cam.
yeah going n/a on a ford mod motor is an uphill battle
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Uphill in the rain on drag slicks.

HID end all thread
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-869596654.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	137515  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With black ice
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yet, here we are... We love our cars.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=69002439

What about this one? Too many miles ya think?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

That's a lot of miles... And why does it say automatic?

HID end all thread
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Used Ford Mustang SVT Cobra For Sale Harwood, TX - CarGurus

What about this one? Too many miles ya think?
i'd get this one!! wish I was in the market that's worth a 2hr drive to at least go look at!imo
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« MGW shifter | 90mm »