Looking at getting a mustang, need some opinions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Looking at getting a mustang, need some opinions.

Hey everyone, so I currently own a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. It's my second car and I kind of jumped into it because I was tired of my first car and it's issues but I never did any research on the car and the issues that they tend to have such as it's really really common for transmission to go out in the 7th gen Monte Carlo. Well I originally looked at getting a 2005-2006 GTO but changed my mind soon after I found out that due to it being pretty limited in production and Pontiac not being around anymore, Body panels are a pain to get and even if you get in just a tiny fender bender insurance companies will total the car 9 times out of 10. Then I started looking at Some 06' Charger SRT8's but all the ones I found and test drove had been dogged on and all the ones in good shape are out of my budget. So I started thinking about Mustangs. I have found a couple 2001 mustangs around me that I look good. one even only has 30k miles. However it is an auto. The more and more I think about it the more and more I want a stick. My question is, as anyone ever gotten an auto Mustang and wished they got a stick. I don't want to get another car and regret it like I do this Monte Carlo. I do mostly city driving but it's not stop and go traffic like in a downtown city or anything like that. How is the Mustang to learn a manual in? Any advice as far as what I should look for when I go to look at one? Anything else I should know?
iMuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1) easiest car Ive driven without a short throw
2) depends on what you're looking for
Only want a 2001? If getting a 99-04 gt get a 02+ they have a few upgrades from factory such as fuel injector size. What's your budget? If you love that body style as I do you will love a terminator (03-04 cobra). It's a legend of a mustang.
Many great options of mustangs to choose from.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
1) easiest car Ive driven without a short throw
2) depends on what you're looking for
Only want a 2001? If getting a 99-04 gt get a 02+ they have a few upgrades from factory such as fuel injector size. What's your budget? If you love that body style as I do you will love a terminator (03-04 cobra). It's a legend of a mustang.
Many great options of mustangs to choose from.
Right now my budget is below $15,000. I got my Monte with the help of my dad co signing for me and since my parents are looking for a new house within the year I was told I either had to re finance my car and have my dad taken off or sell it and get a new car just under my name now that I have some good credit built up. I was actually originally looking to find some 03-04 Cobras but there aren't really any around me in decent shape and are over priced. I did however find a true 2000 Cobra R near me that if I had $45,000 I would jump on in a heartbeat. But it's a bit out of my price range by a bit lol. I'm really not set on an 01. As long as it's in that era of mustang. I don't much care for the generation after that. If I could afford a new 2013-2014 that would be nice. Those look pretty sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You could get a Mach 1 or a 99/01 cobra. Both 4v motors rather than 2v
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
You could get a Mach 1 or a 99/01 cobra. Both 4v motors rather than 2v
+1
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
And IRS with that sexy looking exhaust!! OP the 99-04 GTs are decent cars but it seems like a lot of guys buy then and then realize they would have an 03-04 Cobra or even a 99-01 Cobra
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
And IRS with that sexy looking exhaust!! OP the 99-04 GTs are decent cars but it seems like a lot of guys buy then and then realize they would have an 03-04 Cobra or even a 99-01 Cobra
Yea, I really want a Cobra. Especially a terminator. I guess I just need to keep looking and hope one turns up soon lol
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMuf View Post

Yea, I really want a Cobra. Especially a terminator. I guess I just need to keep looking and hope one turns up soon lol
If you don't mind modded cars look on SVTPerformance.com there's almost always a good deal for whatever kind of mustang you're looking for on there.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
buy mine
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
If you don't mind modded cars look on SVTPerformance.com there's almost always a good deal for whatever kind of mustang you're looking for on there.
If I had the money to buy one out right I would for sure do that. I'm sure most people on here really take care of there cars. Unfortunately I think need to go through a dealership so I can get a loan on one.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I had the money to buy one out right I would for sure do that. I'm sure most people on here really take care of there cars. Unfortunately I think need to go through a dealership so I can get a loan on one.
That makes sense. If I had bought my car knowing what I do now about this generation car I would have gone with a 99 or 01 Cobra. I don't know about most of the guys on here but I got pretty bored with how slow mine is pretty fast (maybe a year after I got it). But then again it's all about what you want out the car.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
That makes sense. If I had bought my car knowing what I do now about this generation car I would have gone with a 99 or 01 Cobra. I don't know about most of the guys on here but I got pretty bored with how slow mine is pretty fast (maybe a year after I got it). But then again it's all about what you want out the car.
The big thing for me is I want something that has usable power. It's like with my Monte, it has 300HP but being FWD you can't use any of it because you either lose traction or you run the risk of damaging your trans. But at the end of the day my car is still just a daily driver that I like to take to car shows on the weekends. So I don't really NEED anything crazy. But I sure WANT something crazy lol. But that's kind of why I was looking at going with a GT. It's a good platform for mods but as they sit stock they still have way more usable power then what my Monte does. I guess I just have some thinking to do lol
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The big thing for me is I want something that has usable power. It's like with my Monte, it has 300HP but being FWD you can't use any of it because you either lose traction or you run the risk of damaging your trans. But at the end of the day my car is still just a daily driver that I like to take to car shows on the weekends. So I don't really NEED anything crazy. But I sure WANT something crazy lol. But that's kind of why I was looking at going with a GT. It's a good platform for mods but as they sit stock they still have way more usable power then what my Monte does. I guess I just have some thinking to do lol
Haha yeah it's a tough choice. At the time that I was looking I thought my GT had plenty of power. It puts the power down very well (mostly cause my tires are too wide) and has decent get up and go for the price you pay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion