Coilovers or Springs for Daily Driver? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Coilovers or Springs for Daily Driver?

Looking for some feedback on everyone's view regarding the difference in performance between a coilovers kit like this: AST 4150 Single Adjustable Monotube Dampers (Ford S197 Mustang) - Vorshlag LLC or a spring/strut setup like this: 2011-2014 Mustang Steeda Sport Suspension Package 555-2352 for a Daily Driver.

Now coilovers will be the best, but my main question is for a Daily Driver is it worth it? Or will i reap the same benefits with a spring/strut setup?

Keep in mind as of right now I have no plans to do any type of competition racing.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Cool overs should have properly valved shocks with the springs, and they allow adjustability that you won't have with just springs. But if you don't plan on tracking or autocrossing your car then springs will do just fine.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Cool overs should have properly valved shocks with the springs, and they allow adjustability that you won't have with just springs. But if you don't plan on tracking or autocrossing your car then springs will do just fine.
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at, I don't think a 1" drop will effect me much where I am. I will have to go to some events and see what people have to get a better idea of what to expect before I drop money into a new suspension.
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
With what you're looking to do, you'll get better ride quality out of a mild set of lowering springs and matched upgraded shocks (like the Koni SRT-T). Coilovers will almost always have a stiffer, harsher ride (better to control the car under hard driving but worse over potholes and city streets) and the adjustments aren't ever going to be used so why pay for them?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at, I don't think a 1" drop will effect me much where I am. I will have to go to some events and see what people have to get a better idea of what to expect before I drop money into a new suspension.
When upgrading to coil overs, ask your self, how much do you love your spine? If you get new shocks and struts with springs, and lower correctly, it may outperform the coil overs.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
With what you're looking to do, you'll get better ride quality out of a mild set of lowering springs and matched upgraded shocks (like the Koni SRT-T). Coilovers will almost always have a stiffer, harsher ride (better to control the car under hard driving but worse over potholes and city streets) and the adjustments aren't ever going to be used so why pay for them?
Yeah that's sort of where my mindset is, if I'm putting money down for it, I want to be worth it since I drive it everyday. The argument a friend of mine (the one who gave me this idea) is making is that you will be able to fine tune the suspension with coilovers in order to get the ride you desire, whereas springs you're stuck with what you pay for.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
When upgrading to coil overs, ask your self, how much do you love your spine? If you get new shocks and struts with springs, and lower correctly, it may outperform the coil overs.
I hear ya, if I don't enjoy the ride then what's the point? I'm going to need to get a feel for myself the difference between the two before I make any decisions, if I decide to go with either option I want to do it once and get it done right.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
No it won't. Coilovers will always handle better, and can even give a smoother ride in the process.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
If you want to fine tune your damping, the easy button is pairing your lowering springs with Koni Yellow's.

If you want to fine tune your ride and handling via spring rate as well, then coilovers might be the option.

In my experience, most mild drop type lowering springs are somewhat stiffer than stock, usually on the order of 25-30%, giving better body control and still retaining some resistance to bottoming out. The springs are still relatively soft compared to what you'd get out of a box-stock set of coilovers, so you still have a softer ride over big bumps. Ideally, you'd then use sway bars to further control the side to side motion of your suspension for road driving while retaining a softer, more compliant ride from the lowering springs. And of course, the upgraded dampers (effectively the brains of the suspension) are doing a better job at controlling the suspension motion all around giving you a better if firmer ride and much improved handling.

With coilovers, you're often getting rid of the OE rubber mounted top perch, which will lead to increased ride harshness. You're also getting significantly stiffer spring rates and the ability to easily buy new springs to tune your suspension to your heart/wallet's desire, but always more focused on the performance aspect over ride comfort. The dampers inside most coilovers are often valved to be more harsh and more often then not aren't even valved for best performance and need to be revalved.

So yeah... comfort and street riding, shocks, springs, and sways. Track driving, build off a set of coilovers
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
No it won't. Coilovers will always handle better, and can even give a smoother ride in the process.
Wha?? I rode in a golf and a Z with them and my spine was compressing and everything. It wasn't bad but if you took a 4 hour trip, you would feel it.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wha?? I rode in a golf and a Z with them and my spine was compressing and everything. It wasn't bad but if you took a 4 hour trip, you would feel it.
It's all in the suspension tuning bro :p
On pre 05 mustangs, the springs and struts didn't have a CO spring/strut design
So the springs had really high rates (meaning a stiffer ride)
On the newer ones, the spring is mounted on the strut, allowing for better handling properties and lower spring rates
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Coil overs are nothing more than a tuned setup of springs and struts. A good company will give you just as good, or better, setup with springs/struts if tuned correctly. Most people just assume that a coil over setup is better because they cost more. Koni yellows are nice, but its more than picking ur fav strut, than add any lowering spring. There is a lot of engineering involved to get a perfect setup.
Troy
Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Coil overs are nothing more than a tuned setup of springs and struts. A good company will give you just as good, or better, setup with springs/struts if tuned correctly. Most people just assume that a coil over setup is better because they cost more. Koni yellows are nice, but its more than picking ur fav strut, than add any lowering spring. There is a lot of engineering involved to get a perfect setup. Troy
Pick one brand, roll with those. Don't mix brands. Same as engines. You can bolt anything to an engine, but making it work correctly and durable is another concern.

I like eibach personally, father's 72 SS chevelle rides like rails with their kits.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
When considering springs. The most important factor to consider is spring rates and type of spring(progressive/sport & linear rate/race springs).
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info guys, it's been very helpful in making a decision, needless to say coilovers are out. Now I'm just looking to put a nice suspension package together or buy one. I've been looking at Steeda, Eibach, Bilstein and Koni. I will report back when I have gotten an idea of a couple nice options. Does anyone have any suggestions in the mean time?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda ftw! I do like Eibach also, have had them on many diff rides.
Troy
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Steeda ftw! I do like Eibach also, have had them on many diff rides.
Troy
Sounds good. After doing some research the Koni yellows seem like a no brainer and then for springs I'm thinking these: Steeda Sport Mustang Lowering Springs - Coupe 555-8215 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 555-8215

How does that sound for my DD?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Good setup, however, I would go for the Steeda featherlites instead. Lower drop, and supposed to be a better ride than their others.
Troy
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good setup, however, I would go for the Steeda featherlites instead. Lower drop, and supposed to be a better ride than their others.
Troy
Ah okay, I was looking at those as well, but I couldn't really find any difference in their description, unless I missed it. I'm assuming you mean the ultralites?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yup.
Troy
Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So why are coilovers out?
MythlinMasterdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Coilovers are great..just a lot of cash for what they are. A good spring/strut setup are just as good if dialed in.
Troy
Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I don't know if you are going to track your car also. But whatever you go with you will want it to be matched with the rest of your cars suspension. Getting a badass springs and shock set up is going to do nothing if you don't combine it with supporting suspension mods.

Just food for thought.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
And people saying coil-overs gives a stiffer harasser ride like its a bad thing.. I don't like a plush ride. I guess that's just me. I want to feel every bump in the road and feel ever pound of weight that's getting transferred in corners or under launch. I want a stuff harsh ride. I didn't buy my stang for luxury. Or else I would've got a caddy or something.. I want it to be balls to the wall primal ride. All the time.

Just saying. If I would've had the money for coil overs I would've went that route. But I do like my spring and shock setup I went for. Also went through the entire rest of the suspension. Made an amazingly huge difference.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Looking for some feedback on everyone's view regarding the difference in performance between a coilovers kit like this: AST 4150 Single Adjustable Monotube Dampers (Ford S197 Mustang) - Vorshlag LLC or a spring/strut setup like this: 2011-2014 Mustang Steeda Sport Suspension Package 555-2352 for a Daily Driver.

Now coilovers will be the best, but my main question is for a Daily Driver is it worth it? Or will i reap the same benefits with a spring/strut setup?

Keep in mind as of right now I have no plans to do any type of competition racing.

Thanks in advance!
You might look at the Ford Racing Handling Package, it's a little more but with your discount, your in the same area. 1.0 drop and if your not going to race it, it will be fine. One thing to remember this will tighten up your suspension. So don't think a ride in the country full of potholes will be fun.

Coilovers are for those people who may want to change their suspension if they are racing.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You will also get the Front Tower Strut in the Ford Kit.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I want a 2.0-2.5" drop in my car and want to improve my handling greatly, I have about $1600 what would you guys recommend? It is also a daily driver and will never see the track.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythlinMasterdo View Post
I want a 2.0-2.5" drop in my car and want to improve my handling greatly, I have about $1600 what would you guys recommend? It is also a daily driver and will never see the track.

It'll be hard to get a 2+ inch drop without changing almost everything.

H&R SS without isolators, Steeda x2 balljoints without spacer, some good aftermarket shock/strut like Tokico d-spec, and you'll probably need a Bumpsteer kit for a drop that much. And you'll probably need to think about rolling your quarter panels if you go with wider tires.

And even with all that you might be at just 2" and like $1000-$1200.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at eibachs coilover kit and they say a 2.5" drop is possible, would that be a better setup?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythlinMasterdo View Post
I was looking at eibachs coilover kit and they say a 2.5" drop is possible, would that be a better setup?

I don't have much experience with the quality or performance of coil-over kits so I really couldn't say.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I don't have much experience with the quality or performance of coil-over kits so I really couldn't say.

Okay thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion